• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Regardless they're still missing. People were going on Geno costume being missing from Hero video is in favor of his inclusion, but if not all of SEGA Mii Costume didn't come back than that could mean either certain Mii Costume will never come back or they'll get release at a later date. They try to include all the other DLC Mii Costumes, so why not these two?View attachment 236055
Sakurai did go on about how great it was that they were able to get Ryu and Mii Costume of Heihachi & Akira to be included in Smash Bros 4, so why abandon that? Sakurai has a weird obsession with Mii Costume since he thinks they're great way to include characters, so this absence is weird. If not all the SEGA Costumes can be included with Joker then not having the Geno costume in with Hero should mean nothing.

Maybe Geno is in, maybe his costume coming later along with the others, or maybe all we get is a png file. I think we're all putting too much faith in this absence. Also let's not forget how stingy Square Enix can be, so there's a good chance that all we'll get is Hero.
But Akira got upgraded to Assist Trophy, which is definitely better than a Mii Costume. I feel like the costume wouldn't be used as "look, we did amazing once more and got the Akira costume again" because it technically got promoted anyway. Geno's basically been demoted to a png. Akira stepped up and as of right now, Geno got shoved back a few pegs.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm saying that bringing back the Virtua Fighter costumes wouldn't be anything worth while because of the upgrade to an assist. That's why I feel like Geno's missing costume IS important.
Probably

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Granted, it all can mean nothing or simply put, Square said no Mii costume in Ultimate and not playable.

However, we still can speculate. Virtual Fighter got both a Spirit and an Assist trophy. It is not a fair comparrision between VF and Geno's missing costume since the latter got an assist trophy and Geno did not. Despite Geno's Mii costume in Smash 4 was A FEATURED SPLASH SCREEN.

Yep, it all can end up meaning nothing and it's "just the way it is." However, we still can speculate the Geno situation as both strange with his missing costume and the comparison of VF and Geno's missing costume have notable differences.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Granted, it all can mean nothing or simply put, Square said no Mii costume in Ultimate and not playable.

However, we still can speculate. Virtual Fighter got both a Spirit and an Assist trophy. It is not a fair comparrision between VF and Geno's missing costume since the latter got an assist trophy and Geno did not. Despite Geno's Mii costume in Smash 4 was A FEATURED SPLASH SCREEN.

Yep, it all can end up meaning nothing and it's "just the way it is." However, we still can speculate the Geno situation as both strange with his missing costume and the comparison of VF and Geno's missing costume have notable differences.
The Nintendo direct can¨t fast enough. Thats for sure

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
wynn728 wynn728 , I agree with most of that but I will throw an opinion on #3. As you said, they already have a Virtua Fighter assist trophy and Sega costumes. That is a different ball field from the Geno one, but admittedly, not by much. We have no Square assist trophies OR costumes at all. Sega already has a ton of assists, fighters, spirits, etc. The Square side of Square-Enix is devoid of content while the Enix side just got something for the first time.

Let's compare:
Sega (if you include Persona and Bayonetta):
3 fighters
4 assists
8 or more costumes
4 stages
A ton of spirits I'm not going to count
Tons of music I'm not going to count either.

vs

Square half of SE:
1 fighter
0 assists
0 costumes
1 stage
4 spirits
2 songs

Enix half of SE:
1 fighter
0 assists
4 costumes
1 stage
10 spirits
8 songs

Don't you think it's a little unfair to compare Sega, who has way more content regardless of whether the Virtua Fighter costumes came back or not, to the Square half of SE?

That's the only reason I say that the Virtua Fighter costume argument doesn't hold much validity.
I honestly don't see how this separating of Square Enix back into Square and Enix achieves anything relevant. That's not really how the company operates to be honest and I'm sure it matters even less in Smash where it's all just business.

Here's the thing, they asked us what characters we wanted to see in Smash Bros with that ballot. We told them we wanted characters like Geno, we made our voices loud and clear. Now it's up to Sakurai whether he answers the request or ignore it. You can't include every character, but at the very least they should fill all available spots with characters people have been begging for. Nobody is asking why did Isabelle or K Rool got in over Geno or Isaac, when it's filled with characters people have been wanting it easy to accept a character not making it in.

You can't make everyone happy but you might as well try, and Piranha Plant inclusion was just giving up on trying to make people happy.
Piranha Plant wasn't for you. It was for people outside of the traditional Smash fan base. It was for the people who would go, "Oh, holy ****, they made a Piranha Plant a playable character!? That's awesome." He's recognizable to a lot of people in ways much of the roster isn't too, so that contributes to that ideology behind Plant's inclusion. And there are quite a few people who are happy with Plant's inclusion, so quit peddling your narrative that "no one is happy about this decision."

Once again, there's more players than the 1.8 million that voted in the ballot to consider and a lot of those people are actually (surprise, surprise) also pretty open minded to new things and decisions with characters. You don't like Plant, that's fine, you don't have to lead a crusade against their inclusion every single time that it gets brought up. And honestly, I wouldn't trade Plant for any fan request, just like I wouldn't trade ROB or Mr. Game and Watch, or really any of the off the wall picks. They matter greatly to me and quite a few people too.

Last edited:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Here's the thing, they asked us what characters we wanted to see in Smash Bros with that ballot. We told them we wanted characters like Geno, we made our voices loud and clear. Now it's up to Sakurai whether he answers the request or ignore it. You can't include every character, but at the very least they should fill all available spots with characters people have been begging for. Nobody is asking why did Isabelle or K Rool got in over Geno or Isaac, when it's filled with characters people have been wanting it easy to accept a character not making it in.

You can't make everyone happy but you might as well try, and Piranha Plant inclusion was just giving up on trying to make people happy.
It's not like Geno was at the top of the list and it's not like they are at all ignoring the ballot. You have to keep in mind that the ballot still isn't an accurate representation of the desires of the entire fanbase just the ones who were able to and cared to vote. Many people probably struggled to pick just one character even if they did vote so that makes it inaccurate as well. And people's opinions change and Nintendo is trying to appeal to a wide market of many ages. New games come out while old games die out even with fans clamoring for them to continue. Things change and the ballot is itself a relic at this point with how quickly the gaming market shifts.

Many people did vote for Geno, but they're both not ignoring the list while also not totally adhering to it because they're still trying to keep us on our toes and add a lot of uniqueness to the roster. And like you said, there's just not room for everyone. Even if Sakurai likes Geno, he many have unfortunately decided that Hero had more to offer Smash (and he certainly does have a lot when you look at how crazy his moveset is). It's not that Geno wouldn't as well, it's just that Sakurai is making the choices he thinks are the best. And frankly, Dragon Quest is bigger than SMRPG and is still actually alive so I don't blame him for that decision.

I'm not saying Geno shouldn't be in Smash. I would absolutely love for him to be and I think he does have a chance and would bring a lot in terms of unique play. I'm just saying you can't look at the ballot and say they're ignoring it just because they don't add everyone from it or even the top 20 "realizable" ones. That's just impossible and expecting any characacter implies a sense of entitlement that your character should in the game even though there are other popular options too.

And I'm only going to explain this one more time even though no one listens. Sakurai likely has the primary goal of bringing new playstyles to the table with new fighters. There's simply no other character that can fill that same niche of how the plant plays and it's actually a cool and different way to play in my opinion. We need to stop viewing characters as stealing spots from other "more-deserving" characters (entirely opinion) and instead focus on what they bring. Piranha Plant brings more uniqueness than plenty of other popular characters would. I think that Resident Evil could get a rep, but as others have brought up, how they would make such a rep in any way unique from other shooting, punching, kicking humans. Popularity isn't everything and there are many factors to consider especially when it comes to Geno. Those factors just mean we have to be all the more loud and dedicated to getting Geno back and keep it up until we are finally heard. Expecting things to happen when they are not certain is likely to backfire so let's try to make it happen instead of assuming it will happen.

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
This just sounds like you're settling for less. Who cares if it costs significantly less to create echo fighters than it is to make full unique characters with their own stages? Why do we have to worry about that? We're consumers! We're supposed to expect great things from professional game developers that have been in the gaming business since the late 70's! I'd rather wait for a unique character to come out a quarter of a year than just wait a couple of weeks for some boring echo fighters to come out by the dozen.
Why not save them for next time when they do have a larger fanbase and have more time evolve as characters to become unique or pseudo clones?
Huh, I guess you have a point. In that case, I'll just wait for the next F-Zero game to come out and make Black Shadow a more viable pick as a unique fighter. Should be any day now...
Yeah, I don't think that's happening. And it's not because these characters aren't as popular, although I will concede that's an aspect to all this, it's because these characters having little to differentiate themselves from others on the roster. When it comes to newcomers, Sakurai tends to value moveset originality over most else. To wit, when he was deciding on a new Fire Emblem character for Smash 4, Chrom was in serious consideration alongside Robin. But ultimately Robin was chosen instead because they offered a more unique playstyle. Despite Chrom's popularity, his lacking moveset potential held him back.

But when Smash Ultimate came around, and the designation of Echo Fighters along with it, Chrom's lack of originality went from a deficit to a boon, the same goes for Daisy and Dark Samus. What were once considered unlikely or impossible inclusions suddenly became a reality, going from being just extra bonuses to a subcategory of newcomer in and of itself. Now perhaps you'll say that these characters were TOTALLY popular enough that could've made it as unique newcomers, that they had or have enough to draw from for a moveset, let me ask you:

Would you have wanted any of these Echo Fighters as completely original fighters with their own original movesets instead of characters like King K. Rool, or Banjo, or even Geno? No, you wouldn't, and not many people would. Hell, as much as I'd like to see Medusa or Black Shadow get into Smash, I certainly wouldn't want them if it meant not getting Banjo. But that doesn't mean that others wouldn't want them. And since they couldn't cut it as full on fighters, despite their popularity, these characters can still get in as Echoes.

I know that having entirely new characters is great, but not every character has a good enough chance to have their own unique moveset, and I don't think wanting something like that is settling for less, especially considering what we've already got.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
There's simply no other character that can fill that same niche of how the plant plays and it's actually a cool and different way to play in my
I think the plant should play as it does right now, but Waluigi should be holding it. It would be great for his characterization to make it so he's a coward and even in Smash he hides behind something else to do his dirty work. Would also help explain the crazy high weight.

I also think Geno is a character whose niche can't really be filled by anyone else. Timed hits would be a great gimmick that doesn't ruin the pace of the game like the plethora of meter-based characters we've gotten from DLC.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I'd be beyond angry if we didn't get playable Geno and his Mii costume, which was given a whole lot of hoo-hah upon reveal, also doesn't return.

Lack of playable Geno is sad, very sad, but I would be understanding about it. Lack of playable Geno, lack of Mii costume, and demotion to just a PNG would infuriate me.

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if the costume sold poorly and that affected the decision to bring it back.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if the costume sold poorly and that affected the decision to bring it back.
It's hard to say, considering that how well the costume sold would be proportional to how many people purchased a Wii U, and then purchased Smash 4 to go along with it. The game probably sold well enough for being on a console that did very poorly, but to that end, would they factor that in as whether or not the Geno costume did well enough to warrant redoing?

Because, the success of the Switch versus the Wii U is absolutely a night-and-day situation. Even if the costume didn't sell that well on the Wii U, there would be absolutely no reason not to indulge a second time for a game that, as I've said before, has come close to nearly 15 million units thus far. If the costume did okay before, it would absolutely perform better this time around, and if it was included with Hero, chances are, there are some people who'd go for the Hero DLC so they could get the costume -- which in turn only benefits Square more.

So the lack of it in Smash for Switch is... still puzzling, and frankly, it would seem silly of Square to have it pulled because it didn't do well before, when the follow-up game has done so much more on its own than the actual previous console ever did.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I'm getting second hand embarrassment from this comment. If you're gonna be this blatantly negative just on an (albeit educated) assumption then you probably need to just take a break from this thread.

That September direct cannot come soon enough.
I keep forgetting this thread needs :ultpacman: or :4pacman:to understand sarcasm. I guess I could have used /s, but I'm not used to being sarcastic online even though I am a lot in RL.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to post this. In case anyone wanted to see how the leak evolved from Dora the Explorer to Putt putt the car! :4pacman:

View attachment 236046
HOLY **** this man is fake leaking Putt-Putt!

For those of you too young to know about the learning and fun PC games from back in the day from Humongous Entertainment, this is Putt-Putt:

He's a talking purple kid-car with his doggo named Pep. Think the Cars movies but years in advance. He has been in parades, gone to the moon, saved the zoo, competed in professional racing, saved and joined a circus and has even traveled through time! The likes of him and teh other Humongous Entertainment gang really give me a nostalgia wave, and while I know he could never get into Smash I'd easily main him if he did. Frankly, he doesn't have much of an arsenal as he is from a point-n-click adventure series, but people are convinced that an Undertale rep can happen despite being a weird creation that doesn't really have much to pull from due to the nature of the combat and Phoenix Wright was in UMvC3 and he can't even fight...

**** it, I'm starting a Putt-Putt/Humongous Entertainment support thread now.

vivala

Smash Journeyman
As I've brought up in the past, K. Rool's costume was released midway through the fighters ballot, in which K. Rool got so much support that he was added to Ultimate. Geno's was added a few months later, after the ballot's conclusion. Sakurai, having seen the ballot results and deciding K. Rool had enough support to add to Ultimate, decided that it was appropriate to give the Geno costume *even more* fanfare than K. Rool's received (the splash screen). Geno getting demoted from costume to png wouldn't just be infuriating to Geno fans, it would seemingly contradict Sakurai's own marketing decisions from a time where Ultimate was already being planned.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
I keep forgetting this thread needs :ultpacman: or :4pacman:to understand sarcasm. I guess I could have used /s, but I'm not used to being sarcastic online even though I am a lot in RL.

HOLY **** this man is fake leaking Putt-Putt!

For those of you too young to know about the learning and fun PC games from back in the day from Humongous Entertainment, this is Putt-Putt:

He's a talking purple kid-car with his doggo named Pep. Think the Cars movies but years in advance. He has been in parades, gone to the moon, saved the zoo, competed in professional racing, saved and joined a circus and has even traveled through time! The likes of him and teh other Humongous Entertainment gang really give me a nostalgia wave, and while I know he could never get into Smash I'd easily main him if he did. Frankly, he doesn't have much of an arsenal as he is from a point-n-click adventure series, but people are convinced that an Undertale rep can happen despite being a weird creation that doesn't really have much to pull from due to the nature of the combat and Phoenix Wright was in UMvC3 and he can't even fight...

**** it, I'm starting a Putt-Putt/Humongous Entertainment support thread now.
I'm still waiting for my boy Pajama Sam to join the fight, to be honest. :ultpacman:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
But Akira got upgraded to Assist Trophy, which is definitely better than a Mii Costume. I feel like the costume wouldn't be used as "look, we did amazing once more and got the Akira costume again" because it technically got promoted anyway. Geno's basically been demoted to a png. Akira stepped up and as of right now, Geno got shoved back a few pegs.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm saying that bringing back the Virtua Fighter costumes wouldn't be anything worth while because of the upgrade to an assist. That's why I feel like Geno's missing costume IS important.
Probably
You say that but during Smash Bros 4 DLC run many of the Mii Costume were based off of Assist Trophy characters like Isabelle, Ashley, Takamaru and others. So if anything a Mii Costume is an upgrade since it allows people to "pretend" like they're playing as the character.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Lol, oh censorship. The four letter word is c0ck. Here is the reference why it's called that:

Hong_kong_doodle_by_nimbusgames-d6e8jmw.jpg

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Piranha Plant wasn't for you. It was for people outside of the traditional Smash fan base. It was for the people who would go, "Oh, holy ****, they made a Piranha Plant a playable character!? That's awesome." He's recognizable to a lot of people in ways much of the roster isn't too, so that contributes to that ideology behind Plant's inclusion. And there are quite a few people who are happy with Plant's inclusion, so quit peddling your narrative that "no one is happy about this decision."

Once again, there's more players than the 1.8 million that voted in the ballot to consider and a lot of those people are actually (surprise, surprise) also pretty open minded to new things and decisions with characters. You don't like Plant, that's fine, you don't have to lead a crusade against their inclusion every single time that it gets brought up. And honestly, I wouldn't trade Plant for any fan request, just like I wouldn't trade ROB or Mr. Game and Watch, or really any of the off the wall picks. They matter greatly to me and quite a few people too.
And that's the reason why many characters will continue to be screwed over in favor of the dumb joke that is Piranha Plant. You don't want to replace it with any other fan requested well good for you, because all those fan requested characters already fell below the totem poll on forever being garbage. The ones who lost to generic enemy #3. But at least we get the "funny" joke character that was only funny for like a week, everyone else dead in a ditch.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Huh, I guess you have a point. In that case, I'll just wait for the next F-Zero game to come out and make Black Shadow a more viable pick as a unique fighter. Should be any day now. Yeah, I don't think that's happening.
Sure, maybe characters like Black Shadow and Medusa may never see the spotlight again but then again, other characters that could be seen as echo fighters still have a chance to evolve in their own games to become unique. Even still you never know, F-Zero and Kid Icarus could very well have their next game coming in a few years despite how bleak their futures might be now.

Let me ask you: Would you have wanted any of these Echo Fighters as completely original fighters with their own original movesets instead of characters like King K. Rool, or Banjo, or even Geno? No, you wouldn't, and not many people would. Hell, as much as I'd like to see Medusa or Black Shadow get into Smash, I certainly wouldn't want them if it meant not getting Banjo. But that doesn't mean that others wouldn't want them. And since they couldn't cut it as full on fighters, despite their popularity, these characters can still get in as Echoes.
Where did I say that I wanted the Echo fighters to be unique characters and take precedence over characters like King K Rool and Banjo & Kazooie? All I said is why can't they just add Black Shadow and Medusa later until they are ready to be unique.

But when Smash Ultimate came around, and the designation of Echo Fighters along with it, Chrom's lack of originality went from a deficit to a boon, the same goes for Daisy and Dark Samus. What were once considered unlikely or impossible inclusions suddenly became a reality, going from being just extra bonuses to a subcategory of newcomer in and of itself.
I know that having entirely new characters is great, but not every character has a good enough chance to have their own unique moveset, and I don't think wanting something like that is settling for less, especially considering what we've already got.
It's still not a good reason for them to not add any stat changes to Echo Fighters to differentiate them from their base character. I'm fully aware that Unique characters take a lot of time and that echo fighters are there to add another character quickly but if they play no different from their base character, I'd rather not have an echo fighter pass.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings

Geno was the only Mii Costume that got a splash screen, yet many other Mii Costume got upgraded instead. That splash screen starts to feel unimportant, especially since there's a great chance that Geno isn't in Fighters Pass.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
On the note of the next presentation, I've been seeing September 5th float around a bit more often in the past couple of days. I wonder if we're getting closer to the actual date reliably leaking out somewhere..?

I genuinely hope for some kind of Smash news, if only to at least put some of our anxieties at ease for a little while. The information drought is definitely having a bit too negative of an impact on some of us for my liking..

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Whoof, that one pot tweet sure made the rounds, even though it means literally nothing and is a huge reach... which is... probably exactly why it made the rounds lol. The amount of vitriol I've seen over Geno fans because of that one tweet is just exponential, despite only a minority of people taking that tweet any bit seriously.

My kingdom for the day Smash fandom stops living off of literal bullying, generalization, and drinking the tears of others. My god, I've never been in a fandom this full of hatred. The secondhand embarrassment I have right now is just through the roof.

Forgive me if I'm being exceptionally ****** lately. My mind has been in a terrible state, so it's no wonder I'm a bit moody rofl. I just wish I could be a fan of a character without feeling like I'm inherently 'wrong' for being a fan because of a loud group of haters.

Last edited:

SkeffVEVO

Smash Apprentice
Sabi made a post implying that the Direct is getting announced "SOON." I would link it but SmashBoards doesn't like letting me link Tweets on mobile.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Sabi made a post implying that the Direct is getting announced "SOON." I would link it but SmashBoards doesn't like letting me link Tweets on mobile.
OwO, soon, you say?

Come on, 9/4! I hope to be satisfied for my birthday on the 6!

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
And that's the reason why many characters will continue to be screwed over in favor of the dumb joke that is Piranha Plant. You don't want to replace it with any other fan requested well good for you, because all those fan requested characters already fell below the totem poll on forever being garbage. The ones who lost to generic enemy #3. But at least we get the "funny" joke character that was only funny for like a week, everyone else dead in a ditch.
Quit whining about characters being "in a ditch" or however you want to position them as if they have no chance for any future additional DLC, Smash games, or just general returns with their own series. It's frankly insulting to any person who continues to support characters that you're just willing to absolutely throw in the towel on all of them just because one goddamn thing in Ultimate didn't go your preferred way. Piranha Plant getting in before them isn't a statement on their inherent value as characters and your naive to believe that this one decision somehow impacts literally everything for all of eternity. Sakurai had an idea for a character and he decided to implement it.

For example: If I choose pasta over pizza one time because I want to do something different, that isn't some sort of damning statement on pizza's quality and it's not like I can't just make pizza the next time I decide to make a meal. A single decision isn't some infinitely applying condemnation of the thing you chose against, it was just the circumstances of the decision at the time (and honestly this analogy is more like Sakurai held a dinner and gave people both pasta and pizza and then the pasta eating people are pissed off that he made pizza despite having their own pasta and some people liking the pizza...).

Piranha Plant's more than a joke character for ****s sake and I don't how many times people in this thread have to tell it to you (people actually enjoy the character, they don't go away just because you don't like the idea of it). Stop making this your crusade of whinging every opportunity you get. You've expressed your dissatisfaction and your opinion, and unless you're actually going to do something substantial with it, just stop and accept reality instead of raging against it. Do something like support the characters you actually want in or try to find ways to rally support for a character. Make a difference in whatever way you can. Sitting around here whining about Plant and being an overall pessimist doesn't do anything beneficial for the characters your interested in. It's not healthy for you as a person (I speak from personal experience being far too much of a pessimist in periods of my life, it takes a literal physical and mental toll on you) and it doesn't really contribute anything to the conversation when you just reinforce the exact same idea over and over.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
I actually kind of like the Piranha Plant, to be fair. It's weird, yeah, but I wouldn't be cheering Geno on if I didn't like the weird and unique. That's how I fell in love with the character to begin with

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I actually kind of like the Piranha Plant, to be fair. It's weird, yeah, but I wouldn't be cheering Geno on if I didn't like the weird and unique. That's how I fell in love with the character to begin with
PP is sure one of the unique ones. I love playing as it

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I've been seeing a few rumors stating the 5th also. It's possible that is what Sabi is referring to

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Well, soonish, if history repeats itself. I've talked about it before but Nintendo almost never does Directs on the first week of the month or the last. Second week of September is a much safer bet, I'd argue.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Well, soonish, if history repeats itself. I've talked about it before but Nintendo almost never does Directs on the first week of the month or the last. Second week of September is a much safer bet, I'd argue.
That's good for me then, because I don't know if I'll even have electricity for the first week. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom