• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Oh, sorry, I didn't know it was a mere coincidence that a game featuring Joker just happened to not even be announced to be coming out until after he was revealed for Smash, and likewise simply a misunderstanding that Square wants to try a second (third? fourth?) time to make their OTHER generic JRPG franchise popular in the West and Hero, whose default skin is the most recent protagonist despite being arguably the worst looking one, just happens to be part of the Smash DLC at the same time as that push.

Absolutely unrelated events, there.
That's a pretty awful misrepresentation of the Dragon Quest situation. Ever since Dragon Quest VIII released on PS2, they have continued to release almost every single DQ related release in the US, so it's not really any more of a push other than advertising their next game. The only Dragon Quest games we've missed have been Dragon Quest X (a MMO in an era where MMOs are struggling somewhat and it was always going to be a hard sale to even fans of DQ), the 3DS port of Dragon Quest 11 (more or less unnecessary since the Switch version was coming out so soon after they even launched 11 in the States), the Switch port of Dragon Quest Heroes 1 & 2 (the first 32 GB game on Switch that retailed highly, and 2 wasn't even out in the US at that point), and Dragon Quest Monsters 3DS (the only really legitimate missed game, but of a spin-off that had become less popular over time still). Honestly, they've never stopped releasing most of the Dragon Quest games in the US, so it's not like some grand relaunch, they're just advertising 11 S more strongly than past titles (and it's an amazing place to jump into DQ as a beginner, so makes sense).

Also, it's really worth noting that Persona 5 Scramble is not a Nintendo exclusive game and releases on PS4 too. There were always going to be spinoffs released for Persona 5, and we've already seen Persona Q2 release on 3DS ages ago. This particular spin-off is just a Musou game, which generally get ported to Switch anyway (One Piece Pirate Warriors 3, One Piece Pirate Warriors 4, Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition, Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends, Dragon Quest Heroes 1 & 2, Warriors Orochi 4, Warriors Orochi 3, and Fire Emblem Warriors compose all the Warriors games that have released on Switch already). So, yeah, there's just no reason for it not to release on Switch.

So, honestly, I don't see any convincing reason to call Joker and Hero "shill picks."

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
This might sound fanboyish but I would expect nothing less from Nintendo than to prioritize the game content rather than the advertising. I know people like to discuss Sakurai's health, but in this particular instance I'd say his hands hurt because he was playing two characters at a time. I think there was a point when he was playing 3. No kidding his hands are gonna hurt, mine start to hurt after a tournament just playing one.

I'm not sure how Nintendo budgets their money for DLC, but I'd assume that if this one goes well and they make a certain amount back from DLC sales, they'd be open to the idea of a second round. Maybe not a whole guaranteed fighter's pass, since that puts liability on them to produce what was promised, but a few individual fighters I could see.
Sakurai has tenosynovitis. He was even saying he couldn't play any action games because of pain back in 2013. He started using this keyboard because of that.

Firox

Smash Master
Once is a pattern, twice is a pattern, everything's a pattern in the Smash fanbase!
"He's Squidward! You're Squidward! I'M SQUIDWARD! Are there any other Squidwards I should know about?!"

(Gary meows with a pickle for a nose)

".....I'm outta here."

Ray102396

Smash Apprentice
The 3rd is Tuesday, which is why I think it'll be the 4th or 11th, which are both Wednesday
I can't really see Nintendo doing a direct on the 11th though, just because of the date it is. So if I had to bet, I'd say either the 4th or the 18th, though I'd lean more towards the 4th since that whole Overwatch case thing happened along with the SKUs that already popped up in Gamestop's system.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
A bit off topic but can I just say that Shovel Knight: King of Cards is looking AMAZING. On the wait for a new direct, they presented a trailer for three different titles.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I can't really see Nintendo doing a direct on the 11th though, just because of the date it is. So if I had to bet, I'd say either the 4th or the 18th, though I'd lean more towards the 4th since that whole Overwatch case thing happened along with the SKUs that already popped up in Gamestop's system.
I don't know if Japan would really care as much about 9/11 as the USA obviously would, but maybe I'm wrong about that.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Anyone that will pick up Astral Chain here?
I want to but I'm already in the middle of Fire Emblem: Treehouses, my nightmare run of Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, and want to start my first playthrough of banjo-Tooie since I'm assuming it won't be much longer until we get more info on him and his release date.

I'll pick it up once some of this stuff clears up though.

vivala

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure they've done that with either a direct or game release. I distinctly remember proclaiming "Man, I'm so excited for September 11th!" before realizing how that sounded, I just can't remember what it was for

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
I'll be waiting for reviews and overall opinions on the game first. Then I'll pick it up if it's good.

I don't think it will be a bad game but last trip to a GameStop I didn't have much money left to pre-order it since i made purchases of other things in the day (one might have been Doom, but that's another topic).

:bowser:.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I'll be waiting for reviews and overall opinions on the game first. Then I'll pick it up if it's good.

I don't think it will be a bad game but last trip to a GameStop I didn't have much money left to pre-order it since i made purchases of other things in the day (one might have been Doom, but that's another topic).

:bowser:.
Reviews of the games have been out a couple a days ago and they are good https://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/astral-chain

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I think I will. I don't know if I'll pick it up at launch, and I haven't looked too far into the gameplay, but the reviews seem good, and I've enjoyed most of the Platinum games that I've played.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I think I will. I don't know if I'll pick it up at launch, and I haven't looked too far into the gameplay, but the reviews seem good, and I've enjoyed most of the Platinum games that I've played.
I¨ve preorderd it day one xD

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Thinking about the inevitable Nintendo Direct ... will we see the remaining two DLC fighters shown like E3 with Hero and Banjo?

It seems it is more likely due to Sakurai's confirmation about the Smash budget and the Hero "impromptu" video.

That, or we get another one for the remaining fighter.

Firox

Smash Master
Thinking about the inevitable Nintendo Direct ... will we see the remaining two DLC fighters shown like E3 with Hero and Banjo?

It seems it is more likely due to Sakurai's confirmation about the Smash budget and the Hero "impromptu" video.

I honestly think it's too early for a double reveal. My prediction is that we get fighter #4 revealed in the next direct and #5 either with the Banjo-Kazooie release or some time closer to December.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion

Fighter 4 maybe, but its to close for fighter 5. That one will more than likely be announced at VGA

ZelDan

Smash Master

Nah I don't think we're getting 2. one probably, but not 2.

I kinda see us getting more details on banjo along with a release date, and then a reveal for DLC #4 afterwards at some point in this Sept direct.

December will be when we get the release of whoever DLC #4, as well as the reveal of the final fighter's pass character, along with a February 2020 release. I would wager this final character will be revealed during the VGAs as well.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
I don't know if revealing the next character now would be a smart move from a marketing standpoint. Right now everyone is looking forward to Banjo-Kazooie yet we barely know anything about how the two play. I feel like Nintendo is gonna focus on advertising them first rather than getting us hyped up for the next DLC fighter.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
I don't know if revealing the next character now would be a smart move from a marketing standpoint. Right now everyone is looking forward to Banjo-Kazooie yet we barely know anything about how the two play. I feel like Nintendo is gonna focus on advertising them first rather than getting us hyped up for the next DLC fighter.
They don't have a choice, they all have to be released before February. Either way, revealing the next fighter while we wait for Banjo isn't exactly going to ruin any hype.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
A bit off topic but can I just say that Shovel Knight: King of Cards is looking AMAZING. On the wait for a new direct, they presented a trailer for three different titles.
God, it had better be. I've been waiting, salivating at the chops like a rabid dog for too many years now, haha. Spectre of Torment was so well-made that I'm very excited for what's in store for KoC.

ZelDan

Smash Master
All 3 Shovel Knight games look great. Especially Shovel Knight Dig. 16-bit Shovel Knight that plays similar to the Steamworld Dig games? Sign me the hell up.

Can Shovel Knight be playable in Smash Bros at some point in the future now, Mr. Sakurai?

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
All 3 Shovel Knight games look great. Especially Shovel Knight Dig. 16-bit Shovel Knight that plays similar to the Steamworld Dig games? Sign me the hell up.

Can Shovel Knight be playable in Smash Bros at some point in the future now, Mr. Sakurai?
I have to say, once Geno gets into smash, I would seriously love to see Shovel Knight and/or Specter Knight get in. I'm obviously a little biased toward Specter knight because of what an edgelord he is with that scythe. :evil:

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300

Man, Shovel Knight was absolutely in my top 5 for base game. It's great that he's there in any form, but I'd love nothing more than having a playable Shovel Knight (maybe a Black Knight skin/echo?), a cool stage (based on either the Plains, Town, or the Enchantress' Tower), and some incredible music. My main gripe with a lot of how music is handled in Smash is that if they don't have a fighter/stage, they don't get music. I don't want another Fire Emblem rep, but Three Houses deserves representation through music and spirits. Especially with Xenoblade X for me. I wanted Elma so bad, but I also wanted the awesome music that would've came with. Code Name S.T.E.A.M. and Wonderful 100 had music, but they don't have a stage or fighter, so I don't think it's too much to ask.

Anyways, rant over.

MisterMike

Smash Champion

I highly doubt we'll get two new fighters revealed. Most likely we'll get fighter 4 revealed during the upcoming direct, with the last fighter being left for later. Or perhaps we won't get the next fighter revealed during the next direct, perhaps instead they'll opt to do what they did with the last two DLC fighters for Smash 4 and reveal both of them at the same time during a their own smash-centric direct.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Did Vergeben technically deconfirm the 4chan/mecha rumor? Or is he more or less saying 'no comment' on the thing?

I will add image for context when I get the chance.

link2702

Smash Champion
So apparently the joking comment by sakurai about their budget wasn’t exactly a joke....

So i get the feeling a fighter pass 2 or any other bonus dlc is off the table...

Ovaltine

Smash Master
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77968128?jumpto=235#235

To me it looks he's deconfirming it (and saying it's not worth his time)
I'd say it generally isn't worth anyone's time. It only blew up due to ****-posting and the timing of everything. It's safest to say that we currently know nothing of DLC #4 and #5.

So apparently the joking comment by sakurai about their budget wasn’t exactly a joke....

So i get the feeling a fighter pass 2 or any other bonus dlc is off the table...
I wouldn't say things are that clear-cut when it comes to budget, as well as how much Nintendo is willing to allocate to Smash DLC. Nintendo's set aside a certain amount for the DLC, and they very well could have underestimated the costs for some of these things (which is likely, given, well, we have the Hero). They also might have come across unforeseen road blocks that added to costs. When stuff is in development, it's given a set budget, and usually, those things are carried out within the limits of said budget, prioritizing what's most important.

Does it mean that another pass or bonus DLC is off of the table? I'd say no. It could still happen. This does, however, make things look a little more discouraging. I'm not sure if Nintendo would want to heckle with the budget for Smash DLC vs. the profit again for Ultimate. If they do, they'd likely do things at a much smaller scale. It's not so much if Nintendo has the money, because they do. It's more of how willing they are to section off that money into Smash. Considering the Fighter's Pass has apparently been tight on the budget, that looks less appealing from a business perspective, therefore making things look more worrisome for anyone hoping for more DLC. It's more unlikely, but I wouldn't say it's impossible. Personally, though, I wouldn't expect it.

Last edited:

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman

That's the current budget for the current fighters. If they do more, surely they would get a new budget to work with.

That being said, if they are doing more dlc or not, I think it's decided by now. We'll likely hear one way or another fairly soon.

Last edited:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
at this point I feel like there either going to call it after the pass or are planning to use all the extra slots they programmed in, like with smash4. I really don't feel confident in expanding past the pass right now but I think it's the right call to make since a new smash game likely isn't feasible or reasonable for a very long time. Hopefully nintendo and sakurai agree.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
There was a problem fetching the tweet
So... thoughts? I'm honestly suprised at the amount of SMRPG references there seems to be in Ultimate...

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
While I would certainly love to see another season of DLC ("Fighter's Pass #2: In-house Nintendo IP Edition!"), I think the likelihood is pretty slim, if only because with each new addition to the roster, the amount of testing and debugging that has to be done will only increase exponentially. I can't imagine a single extra fighter is easy to develop for, much less six.

Maybe it isn't as messy as I feel like it would be, but I mean -- even Kirby has to have more work done each and every time someone new joins the fight, because each new fighter brings a new Copy attack... which you have to make sure doesn't break the game when you use that new copy attack against every single other person in the roster, among other things. Stuff like that makes me question additional packs, especially when you factor in potential budgetary concerns and such.

I feel like keeping things to Nintendo's own IP would definitely help things out considerably, at least as far as the cost may go. Less of a concern for additional licensing and all that. So, if they decide to do more DLC after the current batch, maybe that'd be the route they'd take.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
There was a problem fetching the tweet
So... thoughts? I'm honestly suprised at the amount of SMRPG references there seems to be in Ultimate...
Aaaaare we sure about that? Did it ever have a pot quite like that before with the little notch in it and everything?

MisterMike

Smash Champion
While I would certainly love to see another season of DLC ("Fighter's Pass #2: In-house Nintendo IP Edition!"), I think the likelihood is pretty slim, if only because with each new addition to the roster, the amount of testing and debugging that has to be done will only increase exponentially. I can't imagine a single extra fighter is easy to develop for, much less six.

Maybe it isn't as messy as I feel like it would be, but I mean -- even Kirby has to have more work done each and every time someone new joins the fight, because each new fighter brings a new Copy attack... which you have to make sure doesn't break the game when you use that new copy attack against every single other person in the roster, among other things. Stuff like that makes me question additional packs, especially when you factor in potential budgetary concerns and such.

I feel like keeping things to Nintendo's own IP would definitely help things out considerably, at least as far as the cost may go. Less of a concern for additional licensing and all that. So, if they decide to do more DLC after the current batch, maybe that'd be the route they'd take.
I'd like it they did an Echo Fighters pass. It'd be overall much less work compared to a bunch of brand new fighters, they wouldn't need new stages or music or anything like that, and there are plenty of characters that would work well as Echoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom