• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Aside from Banjo we've so far gotten nothing but shill reps in this wave of DLC.
N... o? Sakurai and Nintendo chose Joker out of Sakurai's love for Persona. While we are getting P5S, I sincerely doubt Joker is meant to 'shill' that game. We aren't even getting P5 itself on the Switch (for now). Hero was chosen not as a shill, but primarily because of how huge a monolith DQ is, as well as how beloved it is in Japan (which is insanely so). Sure, the heroes are helping to spread awareness of DQ in the West, but I think it's more of a bonus than the core reason.

I honestly don't think any of the reps are primarily shills so far. You could make a small argument for Hero at the absolute most, and that's about it.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
N... o? Sakurai and Nintendo chose Joker out of Sakurai's love for Persona. While we are getting P5S, I sincerely doubt Joker is meant to 'shill' that game. We aren't even getting P5 itself on the Switch (for now). Hero was chosen not as a shill, but primarily because of how huge a monolith DQ is, as well as how beloved it is in Japan (which is insanely so). Sure, the heroes are helping to spread awareness of DQ in the West, but I think it's more of a bonus than the core reason.

I honestly don't think any of the reps are primarily shills so far. You could make a small argument for Hero at the absolute most, and that's about it.
You forgot that Piranha Plant is a shill for the Link's Awakening remake
PiranhaPlantNew.jpg

D

Deleted member

Oh, sorry, I didn't know it was a mere coincidence that a game featuring Joker just happened to not even be announced to be coming out until after he was revealed for Smash, and likewise simply a misunderstanding that Square wants to try a second (third? fourth?) time to make their OTHER generic JRPG franchise popular in the West and Hero, whose default skin is the most recent protagonist despite being arguably the worst looking one, just happens to be part of the Smash DLC at the same time as that push.

Absolutely unrelated events, there.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Oh, sorry, I didn't know it was a mere coincidence that a game featuring Joker just happened to not even be announced to be coming out until after he was revealed for Smash, and likewise simply a misunderstanding that Square wants to try a second (third? fourth?) time to make their OTHER generic JRPG franchise popular in the West and Hero, whose default skin is the most recent protagonist despite being arguably the worst looking one, just happens to be part of the Smash DLC at the same time as that push.

The Persona series gets spin-offs all of the time. Is that really such a surprise? Persona doesn't even need the 'shill' push. It may be niche, but it still sells millions, and Persona 5 is arguably the most successful entry in the series apart from P4. On top of that, there are other P5 games in the pipeline, such as Arena and the enhancement of P5 (The Royal), none of which have been confirmed to come to Switch. It's not shilling; it's the pattern in which Atlus does things. Sakurai was thrilled about putting Persona in Smash because of his love for the series, not out of any business desire to make a sales push. He himself has stated this.

On top of that, c'mon. I get not caring about Hero because I really don't either, but DQ is such a phenomenon in the East that it's put work days on halt and caused nationwide pandemonium over its releases. I honestly would have expected Hero sooner if SE wasn't such a mess of a company. It may not be as loved in the West, but DQ is a highly-beloved series with a lot of appreciation. If it wasn't for that series, Geno wouldn't even exist today. It's DQ that revolutionized JRPGs to be the way they are today. If it wasn't for DQ, Geno would not even be a real character.

Come on, we have Persona and DQ fans in this very thread. (I am a Persona fan, not really a DQ fan.) Spitting in the faces of them is not a good look.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
The Persona series gets spin-offs all of the time. Is that really such a surprise? Persona doesn't even need the 'shill' push. It may be niche, but it still sells millions, and Persona 5 is arguably the most successful entry in the series apart from P4. On top of that, there are other P5 games in the pipeline, such as Arena and the enhancement of P5 (The Royal), none of which have been confirmed to come to Switch. It's not shilling; it's the pattern in which Atlus does things. Sakurai was thrilled about putting Persona in Smash because of his love for the series, not out of any business desire to make a sales push. He himself has stated this.

On top of that, c'mon. I get not caring about Hero because I really don't either, but DQ is such a phenomenon in the East that it's put work days on halt and caused nationwide pandemonium over its releases. I honestly would have expected Hero sooner if SE wasn't such a mess of a company. It may not be as loved in the West, but DQ is a highly-beloved series with a lot of appreciation. If it wasn't for that series, Geno wouldn't even exist today. It's DQ that revolutionized JRPGs to be the way they are today. If it wasn't for DQ, Geno would not even be a real character.

Come on, we have Persona and DQ fans in this very thread. (I am a Persona fan, not really a DQ fan.) Spitting in the faces of them is not a good look.
Insert drop mic gif here

D

Deleted member

Debatable, but I'd rather not write a book about it.

Certainly, I'm a fan of mainline Persona myself and think Joker's a hype inclusion. Regardless of what got him in, I'm glad he's here... But Nintendo consoles only get spinoffs of the franchise despite the games never being so graphically demanding that Nintendo's comparatively "last gen" hardware can't handle it. It's silly not to admit that it's really convenient that he was revealed shortly before Persona 5: The Spinoff.

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman

Sakurai is doing a pretty good job if "this guy is the MAIN ONE!" is the point of outrage from detractors :laugh:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Sakurai is doing a pretty good job if "this guy is the MAIN ONE!" is the point of outrage from detractors :laugh:
He's the most commercially relevant, as opposed to what I would assume to be the most iconic or popular. That's the point I was making there.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
So, Geno fans! Any headcanons on Geno's opinions towards his fellow Square reps?

I like to imagine he would be very fluent in Japanese just so he could talk to Cloud.

Last edited:

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
So, Geno fans! Any headcanons on Geno's opinions towards his fellow Square reps?

I like to imagine he would be very fluent in Japanese just so he could talk to Cloud.
My headcanon is that Geno doesn't talk bad about other Square reps or their fanbases.

;)

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Not gonna lie, I’m more hyped for the September Direct than I was for E3. Anyone else?
I was nervous for E3 moreso than hype since I was unsure that Nintendo would even have anything to show off. Whatever hype I had was totally destroyed when they opened with Hero and then it was all brought back in an instant with Banjo. Otherwise, I'm always hype for every direct because there's always the potential they'll throw some surprise our way. The potential for Smash announcements gets me to watch stuff I would otherwise never care for like that Indie World business or Pokemon directs.

Cuzeba123

Smash Apprentice
Not gonna lie, I’m more hyped for the September Direct than I was for E3. Anyone else?
Me too, I was affraid I could be disapointed if I was too much hyped. Banjo & Kazooie were my most wanted character, so now that I've got them I'll only be disapointed without something DKC related.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Okay, since we're getting a Nintendo Direct soon, the earliest we can expect it to drop is the 3rd. So, keep your eyes peeled. It may drop on Friday like the Indie Showcase announcement. If not, we'll probably find out for sure by the end of next week

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Okay, since we're getting a Nintendo Direct soon, the earliest we can expect it to drop is the 3rd. So, keep your eyes peeled. It may drop on Friday like the Indie Showcase announcement. If not, we'll probably find out for sure by the end of next week
my bet is the 4th or the 11th

D

Deleted member

I'm thinking the Wednesday release schedule is gonna stick, and we'll know about it the day before, so you're probably right about the third.

I honestly don't expect a new character to be revealed in it, though. We'll be on pins and needles until probably October or something.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
I'm thinking the Wednesday release schedule is gonna stick, and we'll know about it the day before, so you're probably right about the third.

I honestly don't expect a new character to be revealed in it, though. We'll be on pins and needles until probably October or something.
The 3rd is Tuesday, which is why I think it'll be the 4th or 11th, which are both Wednesday

Last edited:

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
Isn't their direct usually on tuesdays or thursday?
With the exception of the E3 Direct, the February and Mario Maker 2 Directs were both on a Wednesday. 2018 Directs also had a pattern, with most being on a Thursday. So if there’s a Direct in September, it’s most likely going to be on a Wednesday.

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Tfw we still have roughly half a year before all the fighters pass characters are released:sadsheep:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Here is Pushdustins translation of the latest colum from Sakurai https://twitter.com/PushDustIn/status/1166734483199913985?s=19
Interesting. The takeaways here are:

1) Sakurai does more than just supervision of the DLC. He works pretty hands-on with all of the advertising and such for the DLC, too. God, can he let other people do this, please? The man is a beast, and while that's amazing, he needs to take a break. He even mentions hand pain during the presentation. Holy crap. :(
2) Sakurai is trying to put as much as he can from the budget into the actual DLC contents rather than the aforementioned advertisements and presentations. This also applies for the time spent in making the DLC.
3) Their budget is, indeed, needing to be siphoned into different factors of the DLC carefully. While they had a bit of a surplus of funds before, it seems the budget suckled away at that quite fast. Either costs were more than anticipated, or some of the rest of that budget was used to squeeze something else into the development process. I'd wager the former, although the latter would obviously be good for Geno if he's not in the Fighter's Pass.

tl;dr: No real impact on Geno's chances, but it does make me further question whether they'd consider doing more DLC. Then again, the budgeting is done with funds set aside by Sakurai and Nintendo, and Nintendo could always fund further DLC if they wanted to. It's very up in the air. I wouldn't bet on it happening.

Also, LET SAKURAI TAKE IT EASY, HOLY HELL.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion

1) Sakurai does more than just supervision of the DLC. He works pretty hands-on with all of the advertising and such for the DLC, too. God, can he let other people do this, please? The man is a beast, and while that's amazing, he needs to take a break. He even mentions hand pain during the presentation. Holy crap. :(
2) Sakurai is trying to put as much as he can from the budget into the actual DLC contents rather than the aforementioned advertisements and presentations. This also applies for the time spent in making the DLC.
3) Their budget is, indeed, needing to be siphoned into different factors of the DLC carefully. While they had a bit of a surplus of funds before, it seems the budget suckled away at that quite fast. Either costs were more than anticipated, or some of the rest of that budget was used to squeeze something else into the development process. I'd wager the former, although the latter would obviously be good for Geno if he's not in the Fighter's Pass.

tl;dr: No real impact on Geno's chances, but it does make me further question whether they'd consider doing more DLC. Then again, the budgeting is done with funds set aside by Sakurai and Nintendo, and Nintendo could always fund further DLC if they wanted to. It's very up in the air. I wouldn't bet on it happening.

Yeah. I doubt we will se a fighters pass 2 now :/

D

Deleted member

This might sound fanboyish but I would expect nothing less from Nintendo than to prioritize the game content rather than the advertising. I know people like to discuss Sakurai's health, but in this particular instance I'd say his hands hurt because he was playing two characters at a time. I think there was a point when he was playing 3. No kidding his hands are gonna hurt, mine start to hurt after a tournament just playing one.

I'm not sure how Nintendo budgets their money for DLC, but I'd assume that if this one goes well and they make a certain amount back from DLC sales, they'd be open to the idea of a second round. Maybe not a whole guaranteed fighter's pass, since that puts liability on them to produce what was promised, but a few individual fighters I could see.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
This might sound fanboyish but I would expect nothing less from Nintendo than to prioritize the game content rather than the advertising. I know people like to discuss Sakurai's health, but in this particular instance I'd say his hands hurt because he was playing two characters at a time. I think there was a point when he was playing 3. No kidding his hands are gonna hurt, mine start to hurt after a tournament just playing one.

I'm not sure how Nintendo budgets their money for DLC, but I'd assume that if this one goes well and they make a certain amount back from DLC sales, they'd be open to the idea of a second round. Maybe not a whole guaranteed fighter's pass, since that puts liability on them to produce what was promised, but a few individual fighters I could see.
Even so there might be a few months of hiatus before the next round of DLC. Aren't most fighters like this with their DLC anyway, brief respite before the next round starts?

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman

The very first thing I said was SAKURAAAAI when he mentioned his hand was hurting him again. I love this game to pieces, but I want him to take care of himself, too. Him, and his team, to boot, are all human beings. I wish the video game development process wasn't so harmful, as well as normalized as 'a necessary part of the industry'. These people in gamedev always be hurtin' themselves, and I wish they wouldn't do that.

Firox

Smash Master
Hold on, do we KNOW that a Direct is coming soon or are we still just speculating? I might have missed something but just wanted to check.

D

Deleted member

Even so there might be a few months of hiatus before the next round of DLC. Aren't most fighters like this with their DLC anyway, brief respite before the next round starts?
No clue, I don't keep up with traditional fighters. I doubt it's intelligent from a business standpoint to let fans go too long without knowing there's DLC coming. Obviously competitive players are gonna eat it up and support the game for as long as they ask us to, but the casual playerbase is the real moneymaker. They've got to keep them interested in coming back to Smash Bros, which is a hard task when they're also releasing Mario Makers and Zeldas. Easy to forget when you're a competitive player but Smash is a flavor of the month game to a lot of people.

The very first thing I said was SAKURAAAAI when he mentioned his hand was hurting him again. I love this game to pieces, but I want him to take care of himself, too. Him, and his team, to boot, are all human beings. I wish the video game development process wasn't so harmful, as well as normalized as 'a necessary part of the industry'. These people in gamedev always be hurtin' themselves, and I wish they wouldn't do that.
If you don't hurt for your art then it will have no soul.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Hold on, do we KNOW that a Direct is coming soon or are we still just speculating? I might have missed something but just wanted to check.
The fact we've had 3 Nintendo Directs since September 1st, 2016 without fail and no later than the 13th for the last two years is a strong indicator.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
The unfortunate problem is that he is quite the workacholic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom