• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I'm sitting here thinking the same thing lol.

These kinds of things happened before. Where a fake leaker piggybacks off another one. And yet it seems to be the hot topic now because of Overwatch being all but confirmed for the Switch.

When a Direct is announced next week, all this speculation is going to be BTFO'd lmao.
Just like that 5chan 'leak' from January that had Joker, Doom guy, Erdrick, Steve and Ninja Ryu. That was treated as true in multiple circles for months. It was wrong.

Basically, starve the Smash fanbase of news for 11 minutes and watch some people immediately latch onto anything.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
You kind of missed the point of my post. I never implied "just because you can't have everything means you shouldn't do anything". I was pointing out the fact that you can never appease EVERYONE at once, thus diversity should be included within the reason and context of the content creator rather than bashing a form of media because it didn't have a deaf, one-eyed, paraplegic, diabetic, transgender, half-Cherokee/half-Wakandan character in it. This isn't a defeatist attitude, it's a realistic one. That said, you have to accept the fact that the Japanese live in a racially homogeneous culture and thus aren't as well versed in the intricacies of every human variation, nor do they currently care about being so. Obviously their society differs from the US, but my point was that that doesn't necessarily make them inferior because of it. (Interesting you would note their suicide rate when the US's homicide rate is proportionally as high.) And I see your clarification for referencing the Western world, but I was talking about the differences across the REST of the world. To be fair, the US is an animal unto itself. There's few countries in the world, if any, that boast that much diversity.

As for the "presumption that all opinions are inherently equal", while I agree that they are not, and that things like prejudice and violence are wrong, you need to be really careful how far you go with the idea of which ones are better than others. Who gets to decide right and wrong when you're arguing for moral relativism? Tribalism can be as much in favor of diversity as it can be against it. When people are so "woke" and "diverse" that they become hostile towards those that aren't, now you're dipping into bigotry territory. Well, not you specifically, but if someone can't accept another person's belief to contradict theirs, then you have textbook bigotry. That's all I'm saying.
But all too frequently diversity is not included within reason or is overlooked was my point. Take Marvel's superhero movies. It took 20 movies before we got one with a headlining female star in Captain Marvel. The Marvel universe is not short of important or relevant female characters that can take lead roles and carry a story on their own, but it still took that long for the MCU to finally reach that point. That's just one example, but lots of different stories, shows, and video games don't feature diversity or fail to do anything other than use stereotypes in their portrayal of minorities. My point was that we can do better and should continue better to be an inclusive society. Yes, Japan is an inherently more homogeneous nation with less inherent diversity than most traditional Western ones. I'm well aware that a variety of societies operate under different social norms and that's inherently valuable to the world to interact with unique forms of culture. BUT, we can still promote acceptance and tolerance even in these places and work towards more mutual understanding. Our current social order very much depends upon global interactions and isolationism benefits very few people in the grand scheme of things (especially from an economic point of view). I brought up that one topic because you were claiming to use Japan's work force as a positive and there are clearly major issues with work culture in Japan. The reasons for those two rates are largely independent factors and have little intersection, and bringing that up again further muddies the conversation. I'm not trying to claim the US is inherently better in any way, and I think you're mistaking my call for acceptance as some sort of moral superiority of my cultural values? And to some degree, yeah, I think accepting and tolerating people is perhaps the one moral high ground you can take.

Again, I don't see a reason to argue about acceptance, and, where we can make it happen, equality. Things we can do to improve everyone's quality of life and reduce cultural differences and misunderstanding that can often lead to violence/hate are universally beneficial. Who gets to decide right and wrong? The collective of humanity decides those things in their given socieities and then the collective once those societies come in contact with one another. And yeah, people can get hostile about wanting to be accepted and hostile when in the face of those who'd prefer them either gone or dead; and they rightfully should be because those are not inherently equal positions. Some opinions are not acceptable when it comes to basic human rights (again, you want to determine who gets to decide moral relativism, look at something like the Universal Declaration of Human Rights for a physical document detailing how we decide such things signed by 48 countries in 1948 with countries from every major continent). Yes, it's possible to be bigoted when pushing for equality, but that type of bigotry pales in comparison to other forms and calling it out as specifically an issue doesn't properly acknowledge the circumstances of the situation.

Look, I'm going to drop this and you should to because we've probably gone too far as is. The point is, we're going to continue to be inclusive in this thread and we should promote as much general understanding and acceptance (or at least tolerance) of other people as possible.

D

Deleted member

I don't need any new Mario characters
He says in a Geno thread

I’d really just let go and ignore the 4chan “leak” everyone.

I know it’s kinda boring atm, but really...it’s 4chan. You guys know their track record for bs by now...
I swear I saw a text dump that literally described Incineroar's reveal in either late September or early October of last year and it was completely lost to the ages thanks to all the Grinch nonsense, and I completely wrote it off as total fanfic because no one had ever described a reveal trailer accurately before. I wish I had screencapped it if only to prove that every once in a while a completely unknown post on /v/ hits the nail on the head and is lost in the noise.

I don't think a real leak has ever come from the OP, though.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I don't believe the 4Chan rumor myself. Unless we're talking about a reputable insider/leaker, I need more than text to become convinced.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
I swear I saw a text dump that literally described Incineroar's reveal in either late September or early October of last year and it was completely lost to the ages thanks to all the Grinch nonsense, and I completely wrote it off as total fanfic because no one had ever described a reveal trailer accurately before. I wish I had screencapped it if only to prove that every once in a while a completely unknown post on /v/ hits the nail on the head and is lost in the noise.
Aha, so I wasn't the only one. Yeah, I could never find it again, but I also came across the leak you're talking about. And, ultimately, I believe that was "the one leak" that got out that insiders suggested had Nintendo on-edge. It described everything from the fight between Little Mac and Ken, to how Mac lost the match, to how Incineroar dropped into the ring -- it was all there, and just to make sure I wasn't crazy, I scoured the internet for a gooood long while, but unfortunately, it had been lost, or maybe it'd even been deleted once Nintendo caught wind of it for all I know.

Either way, it's nice to know I wasn't remembering things incorrectly - that leak truly did exist, and whoever posted it, who knows where they are now?

Shaboba

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1760-9183-5135
I would take anything out of 4chan with a massive grain of salt... I know we're all kind of starved for news right now but I don't think scraping the bottom of the barrel here, so to speak, is the way to go.

D

Deleted member

Aha, so I wasn't the only one. Yeah, I could never find it again, but I also came across the leak you're talking about. And, ultimately, I believe that was "the one leak" that got out that insiders suggested had Nintendo on-edge. It described everything from the fight between Little Mac and Ken, to how Mac lost the match, to how Incineroar dropped into the ring -- it was all there, and just to make sure I wasn't crazy, I scoured the internet for a gooood long while, but unfortunately, it had been lost, or maybe it'd even been deleted once Nintendo caught wind of it for all I know.

Either way, it's nice to know I wasn't remembering things incorrectly - that leak truly did exist, and whoever posted it, who knows where they are now?
do you know how glad I am that someone else thinks that's the leak that had Nintendo in an internal uproar

holy cow

Firox

Smash Master
But all too frequently diversity is not included within reason or is overlooked was my point. Take Marvel's superhero movies. It took 20 movies before we got one with a headlining female star in Captain Marvel. The Marvel universe is not short of important or relevant female characters that can take lead roles and carry a story on their own, but it still took that long for the MCU to finally reach that point. That's just one example, but lots of different stories, shows, and video games don't feature diversity or fail to do anything other than use stereotypes in their portrayal of minorities. My point was that we can do better and should continue better to be an inclusive society. Yes, Japan is an inherently more homogeneous nation with less inherent diversity than most traditional Western ones. I'm well aware that a variety of societies operate under different social norms and that's inherently valuable to the world to interact with unique forms of culture. BUT, we can still promote acceptance and tolerance even in these places and work towards more mutual understanding. Our current social order very much depends upon global interactions and isolationism benefits very few people in the grand scheme of things (especially from an economic point of view). I brought up that one topic because you were claiming to use Japan's work force as a positive and there are clearly major issues with work culture in Japan. The reasons for those two rates are largely independent factors and have little intersection, and bringing that up again further muddies the conversation. I'm not trying to claim the US is inherently better in any way, and I think you're mistaking my call for acceptance as some sort of moral superiority of my cultural values? And to some degree, yeah, I think accepting and tolerating people is perhaps the one moral high ground you can take.

Again, I don't see a reason to argue about acceptance, and, where we can make it happen, equality. Things we can do to improve everyone's quality of life and reduce cultural differences and misunderstanding that can often lead to violence/hate are universally beneficial. Who gets to decide right and wrong? The collective of humanity decides those things in their given socieities and then the collective once those societies come in contact with one another. And yeah, people can get hostile about wanting to be accepted and hostile when in the face of those who'd prefer them either gone or dead; and they rightfully should be because those are not inherently equal positions. Some opinions are not acceptable when it comes to basic human rights (again, you want to determine who gets to decide moral relativism, look at something like the Universal Declaration of Human Rights for a physical document detailing how we decide such things signed by 48 countries in 1948 with countries from every major continent). Yes, it's possible to be bigoted when pushing for equality, but that type of bigotry pales in comparison to other forms and calling it out as specifically an issue doesn't properly acknowledge the circumstances of the situation.

Look, I'm going to drop this and you should to because we've probably gone too far as is. The point is, we're going to continue to be inclusive in this thread and we should promote as much general understanding and acceptance (or at least tolerance) of other people as possible.
Easy there, bro. Be as inclusive as your heart desires. The moral of my story is that content creators should decide their own content. Not because they're required to give the whole world warm and fuzzies, but because they want to make a compelling, satisfying, and hopefully lucrative, product. That's it.

D

Deleted member

Now we just need a character named Angelo
IS THAT A F'ING JOJO'S BIZARRE ADVENTURE REFERENCE

If Geno were truly a Mario character, we wouldn't have to struggle for people to acknowledge his existence.
Everyone knows Geno exists, they just want to pretend they've never heard of him because they want their waifu in Smash instead.

Loog

Smash Apprentice
I'm sitting here thinking the same thing lol.

These kinds of things happened before. Where a fake leaker piggybacks off another one. And yet it seems to be the hot topic now because of Overwatch being all but confirmed for the Switch.

When a Direct is announced next week, all this speculation is going to be BTFO'd lmao.

Feels like people reset in a way or it could be desperation for any sort of news to come up.

maf91186

Smash Journeyman
bruh he's in 2 non-smash games and both have Mario in the title and as the main character
Yes. I get that. He's only appeared in games that feature Mario. He's still owned by Square. To me, he isn't a Mario character. He's his own badass.

link2702

Smash Champion
He says in a Geno thread

I don't think a real leak has ever come from the OP, though.
The thing is though... how often does that really ever happen? And Nintendo does try sometimes not to make the same mistake twice.

With these in mind, it’s really kinda pointless to discuss em even on the off chance it could be true, either getting your hopes up, or distraught, doesn’t really help much. I’d just focus on the one source we have that does have a proven track record, instead of looking for anything in the giant cesspool that is 4chan. If our source isn’t giving up anything new, well... just be a bit more patient. Cuz the time spent getting too deep in 4chan rumors, is only gonna cause disappointment later on.

But hey it’s just my opinion and all. I really just don’t see the point in wasting time on rumors from a place so unreliable, especially considering we’ve actually gotten another source now that does seem reliable, just very vague and slow with trickling out info.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Wait a second... Banjo has a backpack... and there is a boots powerup in Banjo-Kazooie... holy **** guys, does this mean...??
Nah, no way it's happening. He's too irrelevant and is owned by Microsoft. I wouldn't get your hopes up if I were you.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
So someone brought up new mechanics they would want to see in a new SMRPG, rather it be remake or sequel, and I had one idea.

I would love to see a Mario and Geno combination attack. Geno would transform into the cannon and Mario would jump in. He would then launch towards the enemy surrounded by fire energy. Time the hit right, and Mario would bounce upwards upon impact and proceed to Kamehameha the enemies with the star energy combined with his fire.

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman
While I agree that there are more or less tactful ways of approaching something, I have to be devil's advocate here and question the validity of claims like, "Diversity is an important aspect of society that needs to be and should be included in most media."

Firstly, "needs to be"? Why? Who says? Who is the almighty decider of social norms that decreed that "diversity" is such a crucial aspect of society in general? Acceptance of another's eccentricities is well and good, but I feel that the push for such an ideology is mostly spearheaded by the US and Europe. There are still many parts of the world that don't subscribe to that way of thinking and frankly do just fine.
There are two options here: promote, encourage and appreciate diversity, or do not.

Promoting, encouraging and appreciating diversity is an acknowledgement that specific circumstances or identity aspects of a person does not inherently make them any better or worse than anyone else, and that we all have unique, interesting viewpoints to offer.

Being apathetic/hostile towards the expression/appreciation of diversity is to say "certain perspectives/identities are inherently more important, more meaningful, more valid, and any that fall outside the predominant demographic are worthless."

Beyond being obviously and inarguably wrong from a moral standpoint, it's incredibly detrimental to innovation in all fields of art, science, technology, etc.

While I don't agree with such a practice, the overall "conform and contribute" mindset of the Japanese culture has yielded a far more successful education system, vastly lower crime rate, and a monster of a workforce. Granted, to the point of dogmatic, but when you consider the fact that hate crimes are also non-existent, one can argue the merits of lacking "diversity". I know that Japan is in a vastly different geographic and demographic setting than say the US, but the question still stands as to the "need" of diversity in the sense of obligatory racial inclusion.
A workforce on the verge of collapse, a supremely FAILED education system that creates model students who go on to have crippling mental health issues (impacting their ability to be productive members of society, hence their troubled workforce), all of which have very little to do with perceived cultural homogeny. Also, arguing that diversity isn't so great because it brings more hate crime is like saying a cure for cancer is bad because it leads to more non-cancer deaths.

Secondly, "should be included in most media"? Again, why? Do you have any idea how hard it is to accommodate EVERY persuasion of race, sexuality, gender, etc. in a given media? And if you can't accommodate them ALL, then why bother trying? To demand diversity and still omit others would just be unfair and hypocritical.
Well, like it or not, our society IS diverse. So, you have to look at this from a number of different angles:

Artistic angle: People make art for self-expression, but they often also wish to impart some kind of emotion or message unto an audience, which requires their work to be effectively realized. If your audience is diverse, it makes more sense to factor that into your work, and have your work more accurately reflect the world your audience is familiar with. A racially/culturally homogenous setting or cast is NOT what most audiences will be familiar with, so it will likely be less inherently engaging for them, and less effective at connecting with them.

Commercial angle: In a global market, with a global audience, why limit the appeal of your product? Why not make a product more reflective of the experiences more people have had?

Moral angle: (this is obvious)

An artist, writer, etc. should reserve the right to include whatever kind of characters or content they see fit, thus THEIR OWN experiences shape the media, not the perceived experiences of the potential observers. No creator should have to be hampered by checking off inclusivity boxes just because a loud minority heckles them.
This assumes that a push for diversity in storytelling and media is some unrealistic, politically-driven agenda. In reality, it's the correct observation that most mainstream media has been DEFINED by an unrealistic, politically-driven agenda, one that aimed to prioritize the experiences of conventionally-attractive, straight, white men over EVERYONE ELSE to an ABSURD degree for over a century.

There aren't some finite list of creators who are being held at gunpoint and told "make more black women characters!". The stories and experiences of those that don't fit the straight-white mold have been directly and indirectly silenced for decades, through countless different means. Increased diversity/representation just means allowing MORE people to see themselves in the media that shapes us all, and for MORE people to give us different, cool stuff.

That said, and again using the Nintendo Japan example by xpnc, the Japanese have a much different societal compass than Europe and the US. Expecting our moral relativism to be absolute is the definition of bigotry: intolerance toward those who hold different opinions from oneself. To desire a universal form of diversity is to also accept the fact that others may not be quite as "diverse" as we are.
INTOLERANCE TOWARDS INTOLERANCE IS NOT A THING. I had a young black foster kid living at my house who thought black people were ugly "because they're barely on TV". I won't abide people arguing against fair representation with completely disingenuous, misleading lines of crap like this.

Yeah, barely Smash related, but if stuff like this is posted, it can't be allowed to fester. No offense to Firox, as I'm sure you meant no ill will, but there are certain things that need to be challenged. I've promoted negative mindsets/arguments in the past inadvertently and I wish someone would have called them out.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
So I had this big huge post for EricTheGamerman EricTheGamerman talking about how diversity has change in definition in the business world in politically and how diversity doesn't matter in every situation and shouldn't be a qualification to be met for anything that should be based on merit...but I see that Firox Firox had my ideological back on this one so I'll let the thread move on.

Some bimbo like Tracer...
JEsus.

I'm going to captilize another letter each time I have to say it.

You gotta watch how you say stuff man. Remember how big you are in regards to Operation Starfall and how you...

I'm just done being a laughing stock to these ignorant zoomers

The obvious taunt is Geno crossing his arms and doing the head nod. I could see him spinning around like he does at the end of the game, but add the star spirit swirling around him as he does it. I would love the last taunt to be pulling stuff out of his hat.
Also unrelated, but I turned 31 today! I have leveled up!
I would spam the **** out of that last one whenever I 'The Ultimate Salt is Real'd someone or they SD'd.

Also, happy birthday bud!

Last edited by a moderator:

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman
Take Marvel's superhero movies. It took 20 movies before we got one with a headlining female star in Captain Marvel. The Marvel universe is not short of important or relevant female characters that can take lead roles and carry a story on their own, but it still took that long for the MCU to finally reach that point.
In defense of Marvel Studios, before the Fox deal, they didn't have access to virtually any of their most iconic female characters, as most of them are tied to either the X-Men or FF.

Lead producer Kevin Feige had been pushing for Black Widow and Captain Marvel movies for years before we got them. It was Marvel Entertainment head Ike Perlmutter who kept shooting it down because he thought "women don't sell action figures" (seriously).

This same guy also said replacing Howard Mackie with Don Cheadle in Iron Man 2 wouldn't matter because "they all look the same". SERIOUSLY.

In 2016, after tension between Perlmutter and Feige came to a head on the set of Civil War (Perlmutter, who originally tried to keep Iron Man from being in the movie because he said RDJ would "cost too much", was ******** about the cost of the airport fight sequence), Feige told Disney "either I don't answer to this **** anymore or I ****ing walk". Disney restructured Marvel so that Marvel Studios would operate completely independently of Marvel Entertainment, and Feige would answer only to Disney CEO Bob Iger.

It's no coincidence that since then, not only has the general quality of the films gone up (now that directors/writers only have one comic book nerd producer they need to answer to, as opposed to a dozen or so soulless business execs), but the range of representation in Marvel movies has exploded, and is only going up from there.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
My god, this thread's active today... and considering how off-topic the thread has gotten lately, I can't really say that's a good thing. I don't even know how you people keep up with the thread when it gets like this; I've had to skip the past several pages to avoid drowning in discussion.

I'm a little worried by what seems to be the prevailing sentiment that Geno is "next in line" for a new Square rep considering that's exactly what we said after Cloud got in... then we got Dragon Quest, a series that, despite its apparent popularity, wasn't even in the discussion until it got thoroughly leaked. "Well, now that Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest are in Smash, surely that means Geno's next in line!" But what if he's not next in line and we get Sora instead? "Well, now that Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, and Kingdom Hearts are in, that means Geno's GOTTA be next!" But then we get Lara Croft. "Well, now that Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts, AND Tomb Raider are in..."

...and so on and so forth.

Now, I don't really think Sora or Lara Croft would take priority over Geno at this point, but that's the thing: none of us (myself included) thought that Dragon Quest would take priority, either. It really makes me question how many times we're gonna get blindsided by something we were totally sleeping on, because after a certain point, it just gets depressing. (And that's assuming Square Enix sticks with Smash indefinitely and doesn't just bow out at some point like Konami did.)

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero

You do know that Carol Danvers Captain Marvel is widely hated by fans, right? Comics like Civil War 2 are a prime example of why. That, and MCU fans wanted Black Widow to get a movie for years, and were understandably pissed off she didn't get one for years. That, and she wasn't even the first or second female character to take up the mantle of Captain Marvel. The first and best one of the three hands down was Monica Rambeau

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
>when you actually know who Brave Fencer Musashi and The Bouncer are

Bruh I feel old

That’s what being a Squaresoft Stan in middle school does to ya

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Oh boy we are talking about Captain Marvel now. Conversations about that film always go so well.

i liked it

Klimax

Smash Ace
INTOLERANCE TOWARDS INTOLERANCE IS NOT A THING.
It is. It is naive to think that you're on the good side or that you have the moral highground. There's not a good side and a bad side bro. Who the **** are you to say what's morally wrong or right ? Especially since morality is just a concept to make people do what you want them to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom