• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firox

Smash Master
I like to think that under their hat every Geno doll is hiding a comically large afro.
ROFL ^This. This has to happen. Geno needs to get into smash so that we can have a scene in the SMRPG sequel where Geno takes off his cap for a second only for a massive orange fro to burst forth. The googly eyes out of Mario and the gang (much less the player) would be epic.

D

Deleted member

I don't think this question has been asked. Is Geno bald?

If so, then my boy Cortez has a chance! Yeah! It's time to split! :4pacman:

View attachment 235835
His item use animation makes it look like he has no hair. Most wooden dolls with a hat on, such a Christmas elves or the like, only have cotton under their hat to give the hat volume and some springiness so that it doesn't get crushed in storage. The top of his head could even be flat to better facilitate gluing down some cotton/fluff for just such a purpose.

In human terms, yeah he does actually have a fluffy white afro.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Geno doesn't have hair. Underneath his hat he has a pocket dimension in which he stores his syrups and shrooms.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
While I agree that there are more or less tactful ways of approaching something, I have to be devil's advocate here and question the validity of claims like, "Diversity is an important aspect of society that needs to be and should be included in most media."

Firstly, "needs to be"? Why? Who says? Who is the almighty decider of social norms that decreed that "diversity" is such a crucial aspect of society in general? Acceptance of another's eccentricities is well and good, but I feel that the push for such an ideology is mostly spearheaded by the US and Europe. There are still many parts of the world that don't subscribe to that way of thinking and frankly do just fine. Take Japan for example. Having been there personally, I can tell you that racial diversity is almost completely non-existent. So much so even, that there are actually schools that force the kids to dye their hair black if it's too light so that everyone conforms. While I don't agree with such a practice, the overall "conform and contribute" mindset of the Japanese culture has yielded a far more successful education system, vastly lower crime rate, and a monster of a workforce. Granted, to the point of dogmatic, but when you consider the fact that hate crimes are also non-existent, one can argue the merits of lacking "diversity". I know that Japan is in a vastly different geographic and demographic setting than say the US, but the question still stands as to the "need" of diversity in the sense of obligatory racial inclusion.

Secondly, "should be included in most media"? Again, why? Do you have any idea how hard it is to accommodate EVERY persuasion of race, sexuality, gender, etc. in a given media? And if you can't accommodate them ALL, then why bother trying? To demand diversity and still omit others would just be unfair and hypocritical. An artist, writer, etc. should reserve the right to include whatever kind of characters or content they see fit, thus THEIR OWN experiences shape the media, not the perceived experiences of the potential observers. No creator should have to be hampered by checking off inclusivity boxes just because a loud minority heckles them. That said, and again using the Nintendo Japan example by xpnc, the Japanese have a much different societal compass than Europe and the US. Expecting our moral relativism to be absolute is the definition of bigotry: intolerance toward those who hold different opinions from oneself. To desire a universal form of diversity is to also accept the fact that others may not be quite as "diverse" as we are.
I was referring to our Western societies in that comment and also just in general to some extent, there's no excuse for not tolerating diversity of people. You don't have to like everyone, but there's no reason you can't accept the world is made up of more people than just yourself and those that look like you/have the same background.

"One can argue the merits of lacking 'diversity,'" are you serious right now? Hey, let's take all these incredibly complicated concepts with lots of influencing factors that determine why they are the way they are in specific locations and ignore them to make a point about "diversity." No, every one of those concepts has a variety of factors that has to be considered and has various social, economical, and historical reasons for being as they are. Especially when something like a "monster of a workforce" comes with some of the highest suicide rates in the world with studies that have proved how destructive those kinds of work habits are to a general population. We've seen this first hand with Sakurai, and he's in a damn near infinitely better position than your average Japanese worker. Also, a place with little diversity has fewer hate-crimes (though it still has some for people of different sexual orientation or other such things) is a blatantly obvious statement that contributes nothing to a conversation. It's rather hard to have hate crimes when the exact definition of such an action can't be met because of the lack of diversity in the first place.

Yes, I'm aware that it's not easy to include people of different lifestyles. I'm not saying include everyone in everything that exists. I'm saying, do a better job of representing the realities of our world, you know which is 50% female, includes people of various ethnic, racial, and sexual backgrounds. Most of our media is disproportionately targeted at young white males, and while we've made outstanding progress in some areas, there's still a lot to do in others. "Just because you can't have everything means you shouldn't do anything" is a defeatist attitude that gets us nowhere and means we don't even try to address the problem. Every act of inclusion matters and might be the difference for some growing up in the world to see one of their heroes like them. We can make progress over time that is positive for everyone involved. It shouldn't bother anyone to see a gay, a black, an Islamic character, etc. in a video game to begin with. There's something to be said of artistic integrity and what you want to create, but all art is invariably influenced by the real world and "politics." It's a real issue that lots of media doesn't portray people of minorities either at all or properly, and it's a conversation we need to have in our society (Our, again referring to the Western world, particularly in the US). And a lot of the time, minorities aren't included not because of artistic integrity, but simple apathy and an unwillingness to consider people of different backgrounds. I'm not saying there isn't a place for media more focused on certain subsets of the population or of a certain area, but there are multitudes of instances in which there really isn't good reason to not see diversity on display.

As for your bigotry comment, you're operating under the presumption that all opinions are inherently equal, and that's not the case. Someone who advocates for nonacceptance of a person's life (even going as far as opinions towards violence) is not equal to a person who advocates for just accepting that individual in society (especially considering these individuals have done nothing wrong other than exist in a different way or from a different background). I'm not saying necessarily the world has to listen to the US dogma of societal interaction, but I am saying it's a much better world when we accept that all people come from different backgrounds and there is no inherent reason to exclude people from it. Tribalism is how we've gotten into the mess the world is in and how so many people think it's OK to act like assholes or worse to others. Someone advocating for acceptance of people is not a bigot, especially if they're willing to accept that they can't change every part of the world, but can influence it in positive ways and work towards meaningful change and interaction.

This is much more overtly political (again, I don't think tolerance should be such an issue, but here we are), but this is the sort of stuff I do want anywhere near our thread. We are a thread of inclusion and acceptance of all individuals from all walks of life, no exceptions.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Again, the source made it clear that it wasn't Overwatch related. If Overwatch content was indeed coming, he would've known and not been surprised by the sudden Overwatch case for the Switch.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Again, the source made it clear that it wasn't Overwatch related. If Overwatch content was indeed coming, he would've known and not been surprised by the sudden Overwatch case for the Switch.
Aren't Nintendo ambassadors only really given info for stuff they like? Maybe they aren't a fan of Overwatch like how they aren't a fan of Bayonetta so he doesn't get Bayonetta news.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Hold on yall all that there is that it's a video game character, female, will likely upset/confuse the general audience meaning it's somewhat niche but still recognizable. And now rides a mech. There are WAY to many possible characters for that to point to dva or whoever new overwatch character Everyone is getting upset about now(I know next to nothing about ow in case you couldn't tell : ) ). Not to mention the high likelihood this is a bunch of crap unloaded for kicks anyway. That being said....

TRON BONNE MIGHT COME TO SMASH AAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

MattX20

Smash Hero
Aren't Nintendo ambassadors only really given info for stuff they like? Maybe they aren't a fan of Overwatch like how they aren't a fan of Bayonetta so he doesn't get Bayonetta news.
His track record is spotless, and while it's true he covers 1st and 2nd party titles, Smash is something that he would have advance notice of, especially the remaining DLC characters. He got all of them right thus far, so I've no reason to doubt his word

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
Hold on yall all that there is that it's a video game character, female, will likely upset/confuse the general audience meaning it's somewhat niche but still recognizable. And now rides a mech. There are WAY to many possible characters for that to point to dva or whoever new overwatch character Everyone is getting upset about now(I know next to nothing about ow in case you couldn't tell : ) ). Not to mention the high likelihood this is a bunch of crap unloaded for kicks anyway. That being said....

TRON BONNE MIGHT COME TO SMASH AAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!
I didn't even think about Tron Bonne. I'm not super familiar with the character, but one thing is for sure, she is a female fighter that has appeared in over Capcom fighting games, and she does use a Mech. On top of that, if we follow my "group" assessment with Final Smashes, she does have her own little army of robots that could come to her aid for a last resort attack.

I ain't even mad. I wanna see if this pans out. That'd be such an out-of-left-field pick, but. Yeah, naw, bring it on, let's see if this is the real deal. :ultduckhunt:

D

Deleted member

It's about time they added Mecha Geno

Jokes aside I hope it's Susie from Kirby
The real antagonist in her game is Star Dream... Star Ling?

I don't put any stock into the rumor on /v/ but heh...

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
I didn't even think about Tron Bonne. I'm not super familiar with the character, but one thing is for sure, she is a female fighter that has appeared in over Capcom fighting games, and she does use a Mech. On top of that, if we follow my "group" assessment with Final Smashes, she does have her own little army of robots that could come to her aid for a last resort attack.

I ain't even mad. I wanna see if this pans out. That'd be such an out-of-left-field pick, but. Yeah, naw, bring it on, let's see if this is the real deal. :ultduckhunt:
I never thought about it as a possibility until right now myself, but I have a huge soft spot for mech/robot characters and tron was one of my favorite fighters from mvc 2 and 3, especially in 2 since one of her specials was glitched and did insane damage. I mean if anyone could challenge Dante or jill for the 4th slot it would be a mega man character and with zero in AT hell there isn't much competition. I'm fairly confident this leak is bunk like all the others but even the possibility has me very excited.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
I was referring to our Western societies in that comment and also just in general to some extent, there's no excuse for not tolerating diversity of people. You don't have to like everyone, but there's no reason you can't accept the world is made up of more people than just yourself and those that look like you/have the same background.

"One can argue the merits of lacking 'diversity,'" are you serious right now? Hey, let's take all these incredibly complicated concepts with lots of influencing factors that determine why they are the way they are in specific locations and ignore them to make a point about "diversity." No, every one of those concepts has a variety of factors that has to be considered and has various social, economical, and historical reasons for being as they are. Especially when something like a "monster of a workforce" comes with some of the highest suicide rates in the world with studies that have proved how destructive those kinds of work habits are to a general population. We've seen this first hand with Sakurai, and he's in a damn near infinitely better position than your average Japanese worker. Also, a place with little diversity has fewer hate-crimes (though it still has some for people of different sexual orientation or other such things) is a blatantly obvious statement that contributes nothing to a conversation. It's rather hard to have hate crimes when the exact definition of such an action can't be met because of the lack of diversity in the first place.

Yes, I'm aware that it's not easy to include people of different lifestyles. I'm not saying include everyone in everything that exists. I'm saying, do a better job of representing the realities of our world, you know which is 50% female, includes people of various ethnic, racial, and sexual backgrounds. Most of our media is disproportionately targeted at young white males, and while we've made outstanding progress in some areas, there's still a lot to do in others. "Just because you can't have everything means you shouldn't do anything" is a defeatist attitude that gets us nowhere and means we don't even try to address the problem. Every act of inclusion matters and might be the difference for some growing up in the world to see one of their heroes like them. We can make progress over time that is positive for everyone involved. It shouldn't bother anyone to see a gay, a black, an Islamic character, etc. in a video game to begin with. There's something to be said of artistic integrity and what you want to create, but all art is invariably influenced by the real world and "politics." It's a real issue that lots of media doesn't portray people of minorities either at all or properly, and it's a conversation we need to have in our society (Our, again referring to the Western world, particularly in the US). And a lot of the time, minorities aren't included not because of artistic integrity, but simple apathy and an unwillingness to consider people of different backgrounds. I'm not saying there isn't a place for media more focused on certain subsets of the population or of a certain area, but there are multitudes of instances in which there really isn't good reason to not see diversity on display.

As for your bigotry comment, you're operating under the presumption that all opinions are inherently equal, and that's not the case. Someone who advocates for nonacceptance of a person's life (even going as far as opinions towards violence) is not equal to a person who advocates for just accepting that individual in society (especially considering these individuals have done nothing wrong other than exist in a different way or from a different background). I'm not saying necessarily the world has to listen to the US dogma of societal interaction, but I am saying it's a much better world when we accept that all people come from different backgrounds and there is no inherent reason to exclude people from it. Tribalism is how we've gotten into the mess the world is in and how so many people think it's OK to act like ******** or worse to others. Someone advocating for acceptance of people is not a bigot, especially if they're willing to accept that they can't change every part of the world, but can influence it in positive ways and work towards meaningful change and interaction.

This is much more overtly political (again, I don't think tolerance should be such an issue, but here we are), but this is the sort of stuff I do want anywhere near our thread. We are a thread of inclusion and acceptance of all individuals from all walks of life, no exceptions.
You kind of missed the point of my post. I never implied "just because you can't have everything means you shouldn't do anything". I was pointing out the fact that you can never appease EVERYONE at once, thus diversity should be included within the reason and context of the content creator rather than bashing a form of media because it didn't have a deaf, one-eyed, paraplegic, diabetic, transgender, half-Cherokee/half-Wakandan character in it. This isn't a defeatist attitude, it's a realistic one. That said, you have to accept the fact that the Japanese live in a racially homogeneous culture and thus aren't as well versed in the intricacies of every human variation, nor do they currently care about being so. Obviously their society differs from the US, but my point was that that doesn't necessarily make them inferior because of it. (Interesting you would note their suicide rate when the US's homicide rate is proportionally as high.) And I see your clarification for referencing the Western world, but I was talking about the differences across the REST of the world. To be fair, the US is an animal unto itself. There's few countries in the world, if any, that boast that much diversity.

As for the "presumption that all opinions are inherently equal", while I agree that they are not, and that things like prejudice and violence are wrong, you need to be really careful how far you go with the idea of which ones are better than others. Who gets to decide right and wrong when you're arguing for moral relativism? Tribalism can be as much in favor of diversity as it can be against it. When people are so "woke" and "diverse" that they become hostile towards those that aren't, now you're dipping into bigotry territory. Well, not you specifically, but if someone can't accept another person's belief to contradict theirs, then you have textbook bigotry. That's all I'm saying.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
I like Pauline but I don't know how I feel about her being DLC.

If she were base roster or even a bonus character than that'd gel alot more with me..

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
I’d really just let go and ignore the 4chan “leak” everyone.

I know it’s kinda boring atm, but really...it’s 4chan. You guys know their track record for bs by now...

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Firox Firox Can we please not bring up suicide here -_-
His track record is spotless, and while it's true he covers 1st and 2nd party titles, Smash is something that he would have advance notice of, especially the remaining DLC characters. He got all of them right thus far, so I've no reason to doubt his word
Didn¨t Fatman say that he was starting to doubt that it was about Smash?

MattX20

Smash Hero
Firox Firox Can we please not bring up suicide here -_-

Didn¨t Fatman say that he was starting to doubt that it was about Smash?
Fatman isn't the source, he's only said that he's wondering if the newest hints from the source are related to the starling or not. So no, Fatman is only speculating like we are.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Happy birthday!
i am not sure what to give you but looking at your profile pic i think i do have something

a crossover that no one ever asked for but here it is
Glorious...just glorious.

EDIT: Also...YOINK! thanks for the wishes gang!

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Technically it was EricTheGamerman that brought it up, but sorry about that.
No problem

Fatman isn't the source, he's only said that he's wondering if the newest hints from the source are related to the starling or not. So no, Fatman is only speculating like we are.
With he I meant Fatman, but thank you for the clarification

maf91186

Smash Journeyman
Banjo isn't Geno.

I am specifically referring to us Geno fans. I just feel like at this point we are just a huge joke to Sakurai and Nintendo/SE as a whole. Some bimbo like Tracer can just magically get a free pass for being hot garbage for 6 months and about 20 years of requests and pure fan appreciation will just go unanswered.

I'm just losing patience and Sakurai leading us on with the lack of confirmation/deconfirmation. (The lack of Mii Costume for example) I hate how we are the laughing stock of speculation for things out of our control.
Please, breathe.
Your anger is unwarranted.
Tracer is not confirmed to be in.
Geno is not confirmed to rot.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Oh my gosh...we're getting Aradia Megido from Homestuck! Case closed, folks! Always knew Homestuck would get into Smash.:ultpacman:

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Is there a reason some people are jumping on this 4chan post?
It seems like half and half are going along with it for meme value and the other half is scared it might happen. The overwatch case being leaked directly after the 4chan kinda gave it some ground to stand on.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Is there a reason some people are jumping on this 4chan post?
I'm sitting here thinking the same thing lol.

These kinds of things happened before. Where a fake leaker piggybacks off another one. And yet it seems to be the hot topic now because of Overwatch being all but confirmed for the Switch.

When a Direct is announced next week, all this speculation is going to be BTFO'd lmao.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom