• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

T2by4

Smash Lord
Time to throw some speculation dice (0.0 ) Smash Bros. JP just tweeted and included some neat looking pictures.

However, one of the images in particular reminded me of two instances in Super Mario RPG.

slurps Kero Kero Cola
Last time people thought they made a reference to Golden Sun, Isaac got assist trophy'd! I'd say references don't have the best track record for happy endings.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Square Enix putting in the work to get Gohan in Smash.
View attachment 234449
...This would be the perfect Geno. Forget what I said earlier. Kyle Hebert would be amazing as a "potential" VA. Raise the pitch on his Gohan and BAM, profit.

Also welcome Cuzeba123 Cuzeba123 ! Enjoy your stay.

EDIT: Sorry Ovaltine Ovaltine , gotta go with my boy Kyle before Xander...still like him tho...

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, I wish I knew VA's well so I could have more of an impact on this discussion. The one thing I know for sure is that the voice actor will have probably played a character in Fire Emblem at some point before.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I have another pick for a voice actor. David Vincent. I do not know why, but I could really see this guy pull this off.
In this clip, his speaking voice in his higher register that just feels nice to the ears.

P47

Smash Apprentice
I still think the Rathalos picture was a tease at Golden Sun, it's just that the dev team thought that what they added would be better received.

Between the AT, Mii costume, and the number of spirits the franchise wasn't neglected like in Smash 4, which honestly makes it feel all the worse that Isaac didn't make the cut :(

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
As an Isaac fan I remember being skeptical of the plant thing. The only reason I think I entertained it in the first place is because it came after the grinch hoax gained momentum. And I was also kind neatrual on the rathalos picture. The connections people made between it and GS WERE valid, that said, the concern was always if they were actually intentional, and if they were were they actually pointing towards playability? (the picture was in the AT section, so...)

And then there was the sun/moon theory that some Isaac and Skull Kids conjured up which was honestly probably one of the dumbest theories that popped up during Smash Ultimate speculation (and that's really saying something when chair theory exists).

Then there was the Japan earthquake, which I was also kinda not completely sold on when it came to smash speculation. I held the mindset that "this could point towards Isaac/Golden Sun, it could also point towards a bunch of other things since natural disasters are pretty common in entertainment media..."

Only thing that really got me in super hype mode was the Grinch hoax, and we all know how that went...

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
This VA discussion is making me realize just how unique Geno could be in terms of sound quality. Even if they just reuse sound clips from Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, he would get a distinct feel that no other characters would have.

I mean think about it. Mr. Game & Watch beeps and boops, Duck Hunt make their NES voices from Duck Hunt, Cloud and Joker have unique victory themes that go beyond a few seconds (and doubly so for Joker's victory animations), I guarantee Banjo & Kazooie are gonna get their stupid yet charming sound effects from their original games...

But you see what I'm saying? Imagine the jump sound from Super Mario RPG playing when Geno jumps, or the various attack sound effects when Geno lands a move, or even when Geno himself is hit. Special attacks practically write themselves in this department since a lot of them have unique sound clips of their own. It'd be a great way to make Geno distinct from the rest of the cast, and would REALLY drive home the throwback to Super Mario RPG.

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
You know, I'm expecting no real announcement because Astral Chain is coming very soon. We saw that Nintendo didn't want to release The Hero info before Fire Emblem Three Houses and they really are trying to promote the crap out of Astral Chain (for good bloody reason, that game looks awesome and PlatinumGames deserves the sells). So it's going to be a while, I don't think we'll know who Fighter #4 is until Banjo is released. Also I'm more willing to bet that no insiders really know who the last two Fighters are because Hero was only known about because of datamine and Banjo was known because of the E3 Direct was shown a week before release.

GenoStrike

Smash Journeyman
The canonical Geno voice to me is the one from the old Smash Kingdom videos. I can't imagine any other voice for him because of that old series.

Musubi

Smash Apprentice
BoyMan BoyMan I love your profile pic. Yu Yu Hakusho is my favorite anime. I watched it growing up and I'm actually rewatching it right now.

BoyMan

Smash Cadet
BoyMan BoyMan I love your profile pic. Yu Yu Hakusho is my favorite anime. I watched it growing up and I'm actually rewatching it right now.
I love hearing this! Yusuke has always been and likely will always be my favorite anime character.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Despite that I would still feel like it's the end of an era. Other fanbases can actually call out louder for their choices again! Starting with the Goemon one, R RetrogamerMax and @GoeGoe are the only ones even carrying that support thread at this stage.
I think after Ultimate we will see smaller fanbases grow tremendously because of the heavy hitters like Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo & Kazooie all making it in and possibly Geno making it in too. If Geno makes it in, I would see it as the end of a era for the Melee fans, but not the Brawl fans as there are still quite a good amount of heavily requested characters from Brawl's period that still isn't in yet.

And than you got Smash 4's heavy hitters still going very strong like Bandana Dee and Shantae who I both see along with Waluigi all taking up the discussion spotlight in Smash 6 if none of them are in by then.

I definitely see Dixie Kong's popularity increasing by a ton by next game because she already has quite a following and a lot of the DK/Rare fans will be hungry for her inclusion in Smash 6. Especially if she is in any of the future DKC games which, I'm highly confident she will be. Most DK/Rare fans are satisfied with Ultimate because of K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie both making it in, but by Smash 6 they will be hungry for more Rare characters and Dixie will be the number 1 most requested DK/Rare character that most of them will want in Smash 6.

Ashley is another character who's popularity I see increasing by a ton in Smash 6 as the fans in her thread were keeping on pace or more with K. Rool's thread and would have surpassed the pages in the Ultimate K. Rool thread had Ashley not been deconfirmed in the 8/8/18 Smash Direct. I know because I was watching the Ashley thread move at the speed of light months before I joined this site.

Krystal fans I could see raising again, but that's a just a iffy guess honestly. It mostly depends on if there will be another Star Fox game again before Smash 6 and if she will be in that new Star Fox title. Otherwise, us Krystal fans will have to pull off a K. Rool/Banjo & Kazooie like campaign to bring her back to her franchise and to get her into Smash's roster.

The bubble bandwagon train will still exist in Smash 6, it will just move over to other popular characters that will take the throne in character discussion.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
I think after Ultimate we will see smaller fanbases grow tremendously because of the heavy hitters like Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo & Kazooie all making it in and possibly Geno making it in too. If Geno makes it in, I would see it as the end of a era for the Melee fans, but not the Brawl fans as there are still quite a good amount of heavily requested characters from Brawl's period that still isn't in yet.

And than you got Smash 4's heavy hitters still going very strong like Bandana Dee and Shantae who I both see along with Waluigi all taking up the discussion spotlight in Smash 6 if none of them are in by then.

I definitely see Dixie Kong's popularity increasing by a ton by next game because she already has quite a following and a lot of the DK/Rare fans will be hungry for her inclusion in Smash 6. Especially if she is in any of the future DKC games which, I'm highly confident she will be. Most DK/Rare fans are satisfied with Ultimate because of K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie both making it in, but by Smash 6 they will be hungry for more Rare characters and Dixie will be the number 1 most requested DK/Rare character that most of them will want in Smash 6.

Ashley is another character who's popularity I see increasing by a ton in Smash 6 as the fans in her thread were keeping on pace or more with K. Rool's thread and would have surpassed the pages in the Ultimate K. Rool thread had Ashley not been deconfirmed in the 8/8/18 Smash Direct. I know because I was watching the Ashley thread move at the speed of light months before I joined this site.

Krystal fans I could see raising again, but that's a just a iffy guess honestly. It mostly depends on if there will be another Star Fox game again before Smash 6 and if she will be in that new Star Fox title. Otherwise, us Krystal fans will have to pull off a K. Rool/Banjo & Kazooie like campaign to bring her back to her franchise and to get her into Smash's roster.

The bubble bandwagon train will still exist in Smash 6, it will just move over to other popular characters that will take the throne in character discussion.
i really wish Zael and/or Calista's support was with these characters.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Been kind of a good day so far, started my morning by jumping back into WoL after a long hiatus due to being busy with college and unlocked Geno’s spirit and maxed him to 99 with all the snacks I’ve been hoarding and I think I may be a bit overpowered now. :lol: I also equipped him to Hero (who I’m using at the moment) and in my opinion, they go pretty good together. *starts playing the song, “Best Friend”*

link2702

Smash Champion
Late again, but on the VA part for geno...

Yeah I can’t think of anyone, partly cuz I don’t know many of the va’s that do anime or game voices.

With that said though, perhaps going through xc2 again and the va’s from the characters in that game could give us an idea for geno. Many of the male blades had some voice actors that could fit geno imo.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797

BoyMan

Smash Cadet
Since Whis was introduced in the Dragon Ball universe, I pictured Geno to be like him voice and power wise and Ian Sinclair voices Whis too. :)
His performance as Whis is actually part of the reason why I thought he would fit so well as Geno!

Firox

Smash Master
Would Crispin Freeman be too over the top for Geno? Who does the voice for Edward Elric in Full Metal Alchemist?

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Just enjoying the hilarity how Lucas speaks English while his game is Japan only, and Cloud speaks Japanese while his game was released outside of Japan. Of course, this is due the complicated contract concerning Cloud's English VA.

They might not give Geno a voice. Isabelle talks in AC but she's silent in smash (not even using the AC gibberish).

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I would prefer Geno not to have a voice and be silent like in SMRPG. Honestly, as long as he has his star sound affects in his moveset, that's all the noise I need from him.

Just enjoying the hilarity how Lucas speaks English while his game is Japan only, and Cloud speaks Japanese while his game was released outside of Japan. Of course, this is due the complicated contract concerning Cloud's English VA.

They might not give Geno a voice. Isabelle talks in AC but she's silent in smash (not even using the AC gibberish).
Which is interesting because if Porky get's in, he'll probably speak English too.

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I would prefer Geno not to have a voice and be silent like in SMRPG. Honestly, as long as he has his star sound affects in his moveset, that's all the noise I need from him.
Before Geno does any of his moves, even his slow walk and crouch, he will yell 'About damn time!' which will be referencing how long it took him to be playable.

So an 8 Geno free for all might be a tad noisy.

ZelDan

Smash Master
If Geno was to have a voice, I could kinda see him having a voice that's more of the light/gentle side. Maybe not THAT light/gentle, but still not a rough sounding voice at all.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
If Geno was to have a voice, I could kinda see him having a voice that's more of the light/gentle side. Maybe not THAT light/gentle, but still not a rough sounding voice at all.
Nailed it. This is entirely why Xander Mobus is my favorite potential VA for Geno. He has that light and airy, almost ethereal, pitch to his voice that he can reach, yet he can naturally switch that same voice into something intimidating and fierce on a dime. It fits so well.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Nailed it. This is entirely why Xander Mobus is my favorite potential VA for Geno. He has that light and airy, almost ethereal, pitch to his voice that he can reach, yet he can naturally switch that same voice into something intimidating and fierce on a dime. It fits so well.
Ah, ethereal and airy, those a good words for what I'd expect.

I was trying to think of a word to describe something "special from a different plane of existance" but nothing was coming to mind.

T2by4

Smash Lord
Siivagunner is doing another King for a Day tournament. Make sure you vote for Geno.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Would Crispin Freeman be too over the top for Geno? Who does the voice for Edward Elric in Full Metal Alchemist?
If you're talking about Edward Elric's English voice actor, Vic Mignogna, you probably don't want him associated with Smash. Byleth's male English voice actor was changed for similar reasons.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Ironically, I think it'd be cheesy if they only went with his star sound effects in-game. I like it when they go the extra mile and add new things like they did with the Dragon Quest characters having voices for the first time. I want Geno to get that red carpet treatment after waiting this long, I just wouldn't want him announcing every attack over and over. Like maybe only a victory screen or taunt with, "I serve a higher authority" would work, otherwise he could just have the occasional grunts and sounds from landing a strong attack or taking a heavy hit.

When it comes to voice actors, I don't have many ideas. I'm sure there are many different voices that could work for Geno, but for some reason I can kind of imagine his regular talking voice in Super Mario RPG sounding like Mickey Rooney did when voicing adult Tod in Fox and The Hound, but maybe a little deeper. It honestly wouldn't work that well in a fighting game context like Smash though lol. I do wonder about him having a voice that isn't too deep, he is after all a little starling (heh) so maybe it wouldn't be that low. My favorite would probably be something like Juno's voice in Jet Force Gemini:

Firox

Smash Master
If you're talking about Edward Elric's English voice actor, Vic Mignogna, you probably don't want him associated with Smash. Byleth's male English voice actor was changed for similar reasons.
Wait, why would we not want not want them associated with Smash? There's tons of anime VAs that do video games.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Wait, why would we not want not want them associated with Smash? There's tons of anime VAs that do video games.
Dude's been sexually harassing people for a huge amount of his career (dating all the way back to the late 80s), which includes fans, coworkers, and voice actresses. To make things worse, some of them are underage. Whoof.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Dude's been sexually harassing people for a huge amount of his career (dating all the way back to the late 80s), which includes fans, coworkers, and voice actresses. To make things worse, some of them are underage. Whoof.
Eeesh. Did not know that.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Which is sad because he has a beautiful singing voice:

I loved his dub covers for One Piece openings 1 and 3.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Vic Mignogna is facing a lot of accusations of harassment towards female fans and coworkers, while Byleth's male voice actor (Chris Niosi) admitted to being abusive towards friends, colleagues, and significant others. A lot of anime voice actors also work in games, but hiring people with that kind of a history doesn't seem like a great idea. At the very least, it would be a bad PR move.

T2by4

Smash Lord
That's never been proven true. He's suing funimation for defamation for a reason.

Firox

Smash Master
Vic Mignogna is facing a lot of accusations of harassment towards female fans and coworkers, while Byleth's male voice actor (Chris Niosi) admitted to being abusive towards friends, colleagues, and significant others. A lot of anime voice actors also work in games, but hiring people with that kind of a history doesn't seem like a great idea. At the very least, it would be a bad PR move.
So I started doing some research on Vic Mignogna, and I gotta say, if there's one thing that kinda pisses me off about his #Metoo situation, it's the fact that his career got completely obliterated before any kind of proof was produced. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's innocent per se, or that I would ever condone such alleged behavior, but when hearsay alone can burn up contracts and such, that's pretty effed up. It's a situation of guilty until proven innocent, which is contrary to how our justice system is purported to work. There have even been instances in the past where some accusations have been proven entirely false and spiteful, yet the damage is already done. The accuser just skips away with a slap on the wrist while the entire life of the accused is left in shambles. Again, I'm not saying that all cases are this way, or that bad behavior should go unpunished, but bandwagoning a baseless accusation isn't proof and everyone deserves a legal defense BEFORE being crucified. Sorry for the rant, but I just wanted to point that out. It would probably still be a bad PR move to associate with someone that has so much hanging over their head, but I find it a shame to scuttle so much talent because of circumstances like these.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom