• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
Well guys no Geno at Evo, but regardless I am still holding out hope for our starboy to return. The fact that we did not get the mii costume back probably means good things for us and we are inbound for an inevitable september direct, so maybe Geno is announced at the last smash direct as a bonus character outside the fighters pass and the fact that he could still be in early development and not ready to show off yet. Heck maybe we get a suprirse shadow drop trailer like robin all those years ago. So anyways I am getting to sleep with my best bud and going to head home from canada tomorrow. Geno is still alive men. DON'T GIVE UP FELLAS!

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
Geno's chances are still a lot better than they were like a week ago. It's a little annoying we will have to wait longer, but definitely not the end of the line for Geno

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
See the harm of hope & trying to remain optimistic can do? That's why I remain a pessimistic. I believe in nothing and that's why we all got to adjust our expectation and prepare for the worst. Sure the Geno Mii Costume didn't show up with The Hero, but it can always show up later a long with the others. Remember how sometimes they just release batches of Mii Costume during Smash Bros 4? Best to expect nothing.
I mean, there's picking apart specific ideas and theories, and then there's what you're doing with straight up demanding people be completely pessimistic in their worldview. There's not an objective best way to confront situations like that in which your options are either pessimism or optimism, and honestly, speaking from experience in past life, pessimism begets pessimism and becomes a vicious positive feedback cycle that can do a lot of harm well beyond just Smash related speculation.

I may pick a part a lot of theories and argue things people dislike, but I will not ask people to ever be pessimistic because it's not fair to them and I don't have any authority whatsoever for such a thing anyway and I also don't believe in just being pessimistic for the sake of pessimism anymore. I'm generally optimistic for Geno outside of the context of the Fighter's Pass (which comes down more to how I think the Fighter's Pass was chosen) because all the opportunities are back on the table. I may not be super convinced that we're getting more DLC, but I think that's worth separating from Geno in general because they're different arguments and situations to consider. We got a healthy amount of DQ content, and while I still think Geno has the most uphill battle of any character in Smash, I still standby him and think we'll get a real shot when characters are next being considered for Smash (whether that is Ultimate or the next game remains to be seen, though preferably this game).

Nicnac

Smash Ace
Obviously group morale isn't very high right now, which is fair, but the way I see it EVO was never the be all end all, just a potentially convenient time to announce. Also, although you may be angry about Geno not being announced, please don't **** on other fanbases of characters that aren't in. It's ****ty and makes us look ****ty.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
I don't want the Starling to be "Grinch/Plant 2.0"

If that is the case, I expect Disney to shill their way back in and take the spot.
The guy behind the Starling Pic has a Flawless record so.. Expect something. Doesn't need to be Smash only too, If It ends to be Geno then I don't mind a wait of 2 or 3 weeks more, I've been waiting for a decade

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I’m sure the starling still means something, the source flat-out said it did. It’s just taking longer than usual.

And we still don’t know when spirits were added in relation to when Sakurai was told about DLC/DLC plans were finished, so let’s not bring that up again~

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I've already waited 23 years, I can wait longer. Honestly, the Mii costume being MIA is enough to satiate me for awhile. Like I said, it was never a guarantee and now we're just in extra innings. If it's stresses you out, don't worry about the starling because we just know that it's Nintendo related and that's basically it. Could be Smash. Might not be. It's the beginning of the month again so the reset clock on a Direct has started up so just cool your heels for awhile. It's fine; really it is. We basically had people telling us to eat **** for 10 months and then they were left dumbfounded when the nard exploding kick they had hoped for didn't happen this past week. Having Geno at EVO would have been a dream scenario but our fanbase should know better. We fight things out, frustrations and all and we keep coming back. To quote a great philosopher, go the **** to sleep, regain your composure if you're upset, and we'll come back as a community in the coming days. It's aggravating but this is hardly the end and we're in a better place than we've been in almost a damn year. Stay focused.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Before I go to bed....yeah I feel a lot of you might have put a bit to much faith in what was essentially speculation.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
You do know there's a good chance that the Geno Mii Costume will show up again. It honestly doesn't matter at this point, fate will refuse to change.
No offense when I say this but feel free to take your pessimism and shove it in a garbage bag. It's a pain in the *** enough that we could be all hyped over an irrelevant picture but you acting like this is a real anchor to any positivity this thread ever has. It may be your opinion but quit popping people's balloons because you hate fun.

MomijiInubashiri630

Smash Apprentice
Man lol, EVO was great, idk why you guys are acting so mad. Fatman while I was told not to listen too often, this isn't his fault. He says what he knows, and it was YOUR fault for listening and taking it for sure. Don't act like we're dead yet either. Starling still has a long way to go. Calm down, all of you. This is just sad lmao, this is why people see the Geno community as a joke

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Obviously group morale isn't very high right now, which is fair, but the way I see it EVO was never the be all end all, just a potentially convenient time to announce. Also, although you may be angry about Geno not being announced, please don't **** on other fanbases of characters that aren't in. It's ****ty and makes us look ****ty.
The views on this thread has increased dramatically, and look at that guest count!

So yeah, all eyes are on us. Don't be a mean to others.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The bird image means nothing. Yet every image hint this source has posted has meant something. Every one has had a pay off.

Yet because ya'll didn't get it tonight. This one suddenly means nothing.

Sounds more like pessimism and giving up to me.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Before I go to bed....yeah I feel a lot of you might have put a bit to much faith in what was essentially speculation.
It’s more like we just want to know what the Starling is, Geno or not. The leaker’s flawless track record is what’s keeping our ears perked up.

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman
No, that's not remotely fair. They dropped a massive update and brand new character the week of EVO, they didn't deserve the expectation of an announcement after that (Mortal Kombat announced stuff earlier in the week for example, so there wasn't an expectation of announcements here as far as I'm aware).

Edit: I want to make it very clear I'm not trying to gloat or anything even remotely close to that, I just don't want people upset at Nintendo for not having an announcement here.
I don't think the issue is that we feel OWED an announcement at EVO, it's more that... it made too much sense. Honestly, if I were running Nintendo, my call would be to have SOMETHING at EVO.

Strictly from a BUSINESS standpoint, assuming you were shooting for a date around late July/early August, when would dropping Hero make MOST sense?

JUST LONG ENOUGH BEFORE EVO so the character would be eligible for EVO playtime?

DURING EVO, the most high-profile Smash-related event of the year (barring arguably E3)?

Either of those would be ideal. The weird time Nintendo decided to drop Hero would only make business sense if they had some OTHER thing to show at EVO.

But they didn't.

Really, this is just throws more weight behind the disclaimer I've brought up numerous times in this thread, the Banjo thread, and elsewhere:

Nintendo often DOESN'T make pure business sense. If there's one thing you can count on Nintendo to do, it's to overlook/ignore the most surefire, obviously-correct marketing moves.

This is just another example of Nintendo doing exactly that.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
So much salt over so little. Seriously though? Nothing even pointed to an EVO announcement at all. No rumors and no info from Sabi.

And if you think the starling hint means nothing just because the info is taking a little longer than normal, how do y’all wait for anything in life? Just chill. Sabi’s source reaffirmed that it was a hint last Tuesday after Hero’s trailer. No Geno Mii Costume in sight either. It’s all I’m gonna say on the matter, but EVO was never do or die for Geno’s chances. There will be more opportunities, whether it be next week or next month. Just have some faith that the source that hasn’t been wrong yet knows exactly what they’re doing.

T2by4

Smash Lord
300 people in this thread watching this ****storm pass. Things are looking grim. Ngl. If its a direct then the starling is gonna be a reference to some other game I feel. Just... Oof.

Attachments

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I've already waited 23 years, I can wait longer. Honestly, the Mii costume being MIA is enough to satiate me for awhile. Like I said, it was never a guarantee and now we're just in extra innings. If it's stresses you out, don't worry about the starling because we just know that it's Nintendo related and that's basically it. Could be Smash. Might not be. It's the beginning of the month again so the reset clock on a Direct has started up so just cool your heels for awhile. It's fine; really it is. We basically had people telling us to eat **** for 10 months and then they were left dumbfounded when the nard exploding kick they had hoped for didn't happen this past week. Having Geno at EVO would have been a dream scenario but our fanbase should know better. We fight things out, frustrations and all and we keep coming back. To quote a great philosopher, go the **** to sleep, regain your composure if you're upset, and we'll come back as a community in the coming days. It's aggravating but this is hardly the end and we're in a better place than we've been in almost a damn year. Stay focused.
Yeah this is only a puddle compared to the tides we as a fanbase had to put up with over the past few years. This is far from over.

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Just so you guys know, the reason that many people are losing hope is because this is the longest it has taken for one of these image leaks to pan out by far. It might just be a fluke.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Nothing pisses me off more than 'could be/couldn't be's only for the couldn't be to be the case with Geno.

Every god damn time.

But I get it. Like I totally get it. It's not a de-confirmation but man, this **** is getting old. I'm just ready to either pull the band-aid off or reap the rewards.

Thank you for understanding. It is just so damn hard at times.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
I cant speak for everyone but i don't think the issue is that were giving up or think geno is done were just getting tired of all the endless waiting and conjecture, especially since news tends to be months apart. I would give anything to have sakurai get on camera and give us the verdict once and for all right now even if it meant geno was officially out so i could put it all behind me and focus on more important things than constant wondering who the dlc characters are. Frankly I'm really not a fan of leaving us in the dark on the pass from the get go anyway.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Maybe it's because I have been listening to Hamilton again recently, but this whole situation is making me think of a certain song.

Edit:
Probably is just the tone and idea of being watched and judged. Obviously this does not at all match the gracity of what this song is in the context of Hamilton, but it's just way too catchy and can be applied to way too much.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
The bird image means nothing. Yet every image hint this source has posted has meant something. Every one has had a pay off.

Yet because ya'll didn't get it tonight. This one suddenly means nothing.

Sounds more like pessimism and giving up to me.
starling hint has been hung out to dry for too long with no further hints and no pay off. I doubt it means anything. Knowing the situations of the source around the time he posted it, it could have easily meant nothing. I held faith because he's never been wrong AND his situation changed and he STILL didn't come out to say it didn't mean anything.

Jon's otters was likely Hero.

Last edited:

ChoccyStar

Smash Apprentice
One of the main advice given in 4chan leak threads is: "Never trust cryptic/puzzle leaks. Real leakers always just come out and say the information."

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman
At this point, if Banjo's rocky DLC confirmation path is indicative of anything, Geno's a lock IMO

These times of doubt and impatience will only make the inevitable reveal that much sweeter, same way it did with Banjo

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
He literally said it meant something though. He didn't give a deadline. A few people theorized a deadline because of his usual time frame.

Just because you didn't get it now doesn't negate or change the fact he literally said the bird means something.

That doesn't change because the theory didn't pan out.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
And I will end with this. A word of advice Fatmanonice Fatmanonice . I know you are a good guy but please stop trying to mislead us with 'what have we here's

It legit does not help when this kind of **** keeps happening.

I'm sorry if that sounds harsh but like at this point, most of us are either wanting a solid Yes or a solid No.
Hey, I’m going to step in here and say this is really Not Cool Of You. He’s not trying to mislead anyone, and he’s already expressed that he’s just another fan like the rest of us who is wanting the same stuff we are. He’s just a conduit that allows us to get more information than we would normally have; without him, we would be flying a lot more blind right now. On top of all this, he’s already confessed to battling with depression, and accusatory posts like this probably won’t help.

You’re allowed to be disappointed; Nintendo continuing to be daft about the competitive scene is annoying to us all. However, channel that disappointment productively, and don’t direct it at others like that.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
He literally said it meant something though. He didn't give a deadline. A few people theorized a deadline because of his usual time frame.

Just because you didn't get it now doesn't negate or change the fact he literally said the bird means something.

That doesn't change because the theory didn't pan out.
Who said it meant something? Sabi? Sabi isn't the source.

I've been trying to get her to confirm it means anything and I've gotten no response.

The starling is looking weak, Jon was likely referring to Hero, so all we really have is the lack of his Mii Costume returning.

I'm just being honest here: we should focus on just that and have faith, maybe back off from speculation until something ACTUALLY concrete comes out. Like VRPlant.

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman
Gotta hop in on the Fatman Defense TrainTM.

Dude just gives us info and speculates with us. Can't blame him when theories we craft based on objective info don't immediately pan out.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
PsychoPixelProject.png

Well, I was able to finish the latest addition to my pixel Project at least

*SelfShill*

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
I have school tomorrow. I'm heading to bed. This rocky ride is such a pain and although I'm still rooting for our starboy, this newfound hope that I got as of late is just upsetting me at this point. I feel like he'll be in but by god, they're taking forever and this suspense is just too much. What I wouldn't pay to get a second picture at this point just to straighten the squiggly line.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
One of the main advice given in 4chan leak threads is: "Never trust cryptic/puzzle leaks. Real leakers always just come out and say the information."
''Never trust cryptic leaks."

Yet this guy has twice now had cryptic puzzle leaks that came true.

And it's doubtful this one is going to change. We just haven't reached the outcome yet.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I don't think the issue is that we feel OWED an announcement at EVO, it's more that... it made too much sense. Honestly, if I were running Nintendo, my call would be to have SOMETHING at EVO.

Strictly from a BUSINESS standpoint, assuming you were shooting for a date around late July/early August, when would dropping Hero make MOST sense?

JUST LONG ENOUGH BEFORE EVO so the character would be eligible for EVO playtime?

DURING EVO, the most high-profile Smash-related event of the year (barring arguably E3)?

Either of those would be ideal. The weird time Nintendo decided to drop Hero would only make business sense if they had some OTHER thing to show at EVO.

But they didn't.

Really, this is just throws more weight behind the disclaimer I've brought up numerous times in this thread, the Banjo thread, and elsewhere:

Nintendo often DOESN'T make pure business sense. If there's one thing you can count on Nintendo to do, it's to overlook/ignore the most surefire, obviously-correct marketing moves.

This is just another example of Nintendo doing exactly that.
Would Hero dropping right before EVO have been positive in any way though? You'd barely have two weeks to practice the character before coming up against people with so much more experience in their characters. You might have pulled off a surprise or two because people didn't know the match-up, but it honestly probably wouldn't have changed much of what we saw tonight if Hero was playable (Tweek would have been ****ed by the Ivysaur nerfs though...). Not to mention, there's a good chance Hero just wasn't ready then anyway. You can't will work completed just for an advertising opportunity on Hero, and Nintendo doesn't like to do that sort of thing anyway (Not to mention, if he wasn't done, he might have been super broken for this exact tournament).

They released Hero to kick-off/celebrate the festivities of the EVO, and actually honestly pretty did a really great job at ensuring that all eyes were on the competitors and players as opposed to an announcement based anticipation. Which is honestly the better play I think, I feel like so many people have forgotten how much more this event SHOULD be about the players and not the other stuff. These people work and play their asses off, so this event should be about them first and foremost. A company like Nintendo can announce a Direct at any point and do their own thing and I just think their personal timing wasn't there for anything else right now. I mean Smash is big enough now where it doesn't need EVO to stand on for announcements like some of the other smaller fighting games might really need too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom