• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MomijiInubashiri630

Smash Apprentice
I'm leaving for the day, but here is proof the bird means something, by Sabi herself. Please calm down all of you, stop acting like children

RageCage271

Smash Cadet
Welp, all this salt is burning my eyes, so I think I'll be leaving now. I'm as bummed as the next guy, but come on. For real? I erred on the side of expecting something to be quite honest... but that's exactly the reason I was prepared for the event that there wasn't something. So, while I'm upset, I'm not going to pout or cry, or throw a tantrum. I made sure I was ready for this.

Let's not be too downtrodden, ok? Goodnight...

Travix Man

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TravixMan
Goodness, this thread took a huge 180.

I know I mentioned that there was a possibility of an announcement, but even I didn't go all in it. Besides, nothing was ever concrete; there was no way of knowing that an announcement was coming. My stance remains the same being 50/50 on Geno's chances.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
''THE BIRD MEANS NOTHING CAUSE I SAID SO CAUSE I AM UPSET AND ANGRY AND I DEMAND A PUPPET IN MY SMASH RIGHT NOW."

Sabi, Fatmonice, and Sabi's source: K, cool story bro. Still means something, but cool story bro.

Last edited:

ChoccyStar

Smash Apprentice
''Never trust cryptic leaks."

Yet this guy has twice now had cryptic puzzle leaks that came true.

And it's doubtful this one is going to change. We just haven't reached the outcome yet.
I don't think so, he might just post random images and doesn't say what they are about until something tangentially related to them appears.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
I mean as a berserk fan i am no stanger to waiting for content if that was the only issue i could last indefinitely if only by just turning off to other things but having a whole bunch of stuff like the starling and costume all at once really raised tensions to a fevor pitch and frankly that level of hype/suspense over learning the end result is burning me and some others out. Id take waiting 6-7 years wait for smash 6 over this agonizing dlc cycle any day.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I don't think so, he might just post random images and doesn't say what they are about until something tangentially related to them appears.
Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuree.

He just randomly picked a blue crab and then said ''It was for Link's Awakening all along!"

and he just randomly and boldly predicted Banjo and Kazooie a never ever with a picture of a witch with a puzzle piece.

Then said ''See it was Banjo all along!"

Exhausting, the lot of you.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Maybe it's because I have been listening to Hamilton again recently, but this whole situation is making me think of a certain song.

Edit:
Probably is just the tone and idea of being watched and judged. Obviously this does not at all match the gracity of what this song is in the context of Hamilton, but it's just way too catchy and can be applied to way too much.
You're a fan of Hamilton too? Just how much do our interests intersect!?

And yes, you're absolutely right, there's a lot of people here in this thread watching us right now and we're all providing another snapshot of our community right now that people might not usually see. Not to put pressure on anyone, but just as a reminder.

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman
Would Hero dropping right before EVO have been positive in any way though? You'd barely have two weeks to practice the character before coming up against people with so much more experience in their characters. You might have pulled off a surprise or two because people didn't know the match-up, but it honestly probably wouldn't have changed much of what we saw tonight if Hero was playable (Tweek would have been ****ed by the Ivysaur nerfs though...). Not to mention, there's a good chance Hero just wasn't ready then anyway. You can't will work completed just for an advertising opportunity on Hero, and Nintendo doesn't like to do that sort of thing anyway (Not to mention, if he wasn't done, he might have been super broken for this exact tournament).

They released Hero to kick-off/celebrate the festivities of the EVO, and actually honestly pretty did a really great job at ensuring that all eyes were on the competitors and players as opposed to an announcement based anticipation. Which is honestly the better play I think, I feel like so many people have forgotten how much more this event SHOULD be about the players and not the other stuff. These people work and play their ***** off, so this event should be about them first and foremost. A company like Nintendo can announce a Direct at any point and do their own thing and I just think their personal timing wasn't there for anything else right now. I mean Smash is big enough now where it doesn't need EVO to stand on for announcements like some of the other smaller fighting games might really need too.

Smash doesn't NEED EVO, but why NOT capitalize on the guaranteed publicity/demographic EVO affords you?

I don't disagree with any of your arguments. My only point is that from a BUSINESS standpoint, a Hero drop would've made the most sense in the times I highlighted (if those times weren't utilized for a separate announcement/reveal)

And that Nintendo NOT capitalizing on that potential is kinda par for the course with them

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Oh yay. 4chan is here.

Hi cesspool of the internet! Hi!

How's it feel to be hip and cool and edgy for 2003 internet standards.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm leaving for the day, but here is proof the bird means something, by Sabi herself. Please calm down all of you, stop acting like children
Since Sabi came out and said it, I guess I can share some details now: it's not Fire Emblem related and earlier today, the source basically said that the bird type matters and that if it were supposed to be an eagle or a crow or a goddamn secretary bird, that's exactly what it would have been. Again, we don't know what it is aside from those things but it's definitely not "nothing."

ChoccyStar

Smash Apprentice
Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuree.

He just randomly picked a blue crab and then said ''It was for Link's Awakening all along!"

and he just randomly and boldly predicted Banjo and Kazooie a never ever with a picture of a witch with a puzzle piece.

Then said ''See it was Banjo all along!"

Exhausting, the lot of you.
Did he ever explicitly say Banjo/Kazooie were smash related? There were tons of images of the BK logo pre-E3 floating around, so an announcement of some sort was to be expected, no matter the form.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
I mean, there's picking apart specific ideas and theories, and then there's what you're doing with straight up demanding people be completely pessimistic in their worldview. There's not an objective best way to confront situations like that in which your options are either pessimism or optimism, and honestly, speaking from experience in past life, pessimism begets pessimism and becomes a vicious positive feedback cycle that can do a lot of harm well beyond just Smash related speculation.

I may pick a part a lot of theories and argue things people dislike, but I will not ask people to ever be pessimistic because it's not fair to them and I don't have any authority whatsoever for such a thing anyway and I also don't believe in just being pessimistic for the sake of pessimism anymore. I'm generally optimistic for Geno outside of the context of the Fighter's Pass (which comes down more to how I think the Fighter's Pass was chosen) because all the opportunities are back on the table. I may not be super convinced that we're getting more DLC, but I think that's worth separating from Geno in general because they're different arguments and situations to consider. We got a healthy amount of DQ content, and while I still think Geno has the most uphill battle of any character in Smash, I still standby him and think we'll get a real shot when characters are next being considered for Smash (whether that is Ultimate or the next game remains to be seen, though preferably this game).
Bro, there's only one theory that ever work for Smash Bros and that was Box Theory. Every other theory just went straight into the trash can.

Also I'm not pessimistic for the sake of pessimistic. I'm pessimistic because I know a lot about this series. I know who ain't getting in, the writing is on the wall yet people refuse to believe it. I still see people who are delusional saying that a Mii Costume doesn't mean that character is deconfirm or that an Assist Trophy can still be one of the DLC characters. Yet time and time again it's shot down to the ground and I see them disappointed. Nobody learns anything, so I remain pessimistic because I learned my lesson with the series. And that lesson is that Sakurai isn't that much in touch with the fanbase so he legitimately thought that everyone would be happy with a png file because "he's in the game."

D

Deleted member

You know what I've been thinking through it and yeah I apologize for jumping the gun. This is just a neutral outcome if anything. Sure I think the Starling image means nothing at this point but we also have the mysteriously missing Mii costume. This isn't bad at all it's just neutral.

We may still get Geno and I apologize for jumping the gun it's just tiring having your hopes go up and then down and then up and then down and then up and then down while never getting a concrete answer. Sorry about that.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Did he ever explicitly say Banjo/Kazooie were smash related? There were tons of images of the BK logo pre-E3 floating around, so an announcement of some sort was to be expected, no matter the form.
He specifically teased the Smash announcement. He only knows of things that are first and second party.

The guy isn't a fluke.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
All I know is it felt like 90/10 Geno was going to get disconfirmed the other day and he didn’t. To me, that’s pretty darn cool. Geno’s still in the conversation. On the other hand, I think there’s something to be said about just not having any hard expectations on any given hint or leak or event. I wasn’t planning to watch EVO. I’m glad I did, though, and I have all these hints to thank for that. I think we should just let the starling info play out organically. Patterns are meant to be broken.

Also, I’ll be honest, I don’t think a Geno reveal would’ve really fit. Geno’s such a nuanced character. After those intense matches, I don’t think the tone of a Geno reveal trailer would’ve worked. I was really bracing myself for a fighting game character, like Heihachi or Terry Bogard, to get added. They could’ve easily continued the boxing ring trailer and have Heihachi fight Incineroar or something.

I’ve been pulling for Geno since Brawl and all I can say is decoupling expectations, even just a little, can make the rollercoaster a little more tolerable. The highs aren’t as exciting, but the lows don’t feel so crushing.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You're a fan of Hamilton too? Just how much do our interests intersect!?

And yes, you're absolutely right, there's a lot of people here in this thread watching us right now and we're all providing another snapshot of our community right now that people might not usually see. Not to put pressure on anyone, but just as a reminder.
Not the biggest fan in the world, just listened to a few catchy tunes when it first came out. I actually listened all of them strait through for the first time not to long ago and man, it took the orphanage to finally turn me into a crying mess.

People are watching. Haters, curious onlookers, members of other threads, etc. All of them are judging how we react. This is a snapshot they will all remember in regard to our community.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Sabi, Fatmanonice, and some others have known the source since last year. He’s legit, they even have proof that he works at Nintendo/info that identifies him. Fatmanonice has even told us that the source has flatout said some things before, just he likes to tease them when it’s related to something most of them like because “fun.”

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman
Quick logic drop:

How likely is it that Sakurai would make a point of including 3 of the 4 Never-Evers, but not the one he personally wanted to include in multiple previous games?

Patience is a virtue.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Smash doesn't NEED EVO, but why NOT capitalize on the guaranteed publicity/demographic EVO affords you?

I don't disagree with any of your arguments. My only point is that from a BUSINESS standpoint, a Hero drop would've made the most sense in the times I highlighted (if those times weren't utilized for a separate announcement/reveal)

And that Nintendo NOT capitalizing on that potential is kinda par for the course with them
I see your point, but I do think it was just the timing of their reveals and how things have been going with DLC as of recent. I guess Hero could have dropped right after the tournament... but I don't think it makes much of a difference they were revealed earlier in the week since I think Sakurai would have preferred to detail a character like them and that doesn't fit super well in the EVO setting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Bro, there's only one theory that ever work for Smash Bros and that was Box Theory. Every other theory just went straight into the trash can.

Also I'm not pessimistic for the sake of pessimistic. I'm pessimistic because I know a lot about this series. I know who ain't getting in, the writing is on the wall yet people refuse to believe it. I still see people who are delusional saying that a Mii Costume doesn't mean that character is deconfirm or that an Assist Trophy can still be one of the DLC characters. Yet time and time again it's shot down to the ground and I see them disappointed. Nobody learns anything, so I remain pessimistic because I learned my lesson with the series. And that lesson is that Sakurai isn't that much in touch with the fanbase so he legitimately thought that everyone would be happy with a png file because "he's in the game."
Well then, O prophet of Sakurai, who"s #4 and #5 if you're so confident in how Sakurai works?

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Since Sabi came out and said it, I guess I can share some details now: it's not Fire Emblem related and earlier today, the source basically said that the bird type matters and that if it were supposed to be an eagle or a crow or a goddamn secretary bird, that's exactly what it would have been. Again, we don't know what it is aside from those things but it's definitely not "nothing."
Wow, this is big. Really big.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I just want to say that I get where SSGuy SSGuy is coming from.

It's been a long time. We've been rooting and fighting and drawing and streaming and recording and watching and tweeting and everything else, and whenever we get even the slightest bit of something good coming our way, nothing comes of it. That's pretty rough.

On top of this, imagine what all the haters are going to say now? They have so much ammo to throw at us and mock us for being the 'dumb desperate Geno fans' and that really doesn't help either knowing that we kinda thought this would be a thing so we got hype and talked about it and now we are going to be made fun of for it just because we love a character.

On top of that, I get why he is upset with Fatmanonice Fatmanonice

First off, Fatman posting the starling was a overstepping of boundaries. I'm not going into details, but to me, that is what it seems like from what I know about the social circle. Not getting into details about the source's situation, but he was indisposed for a while and was unable to answer if the starling image meant anything or not. Jon posts otters and Fatman shares this image, and we talk about it thinking it might mean something for us...and the the Mii Costume doesn't come back. Now we are out for blood and CONVINCED this must mean something good in on the horizon, and EVO just lines up perfectly.

And then there is, yet again, nothing.

Jon's otters were likely for the Hero reveal and we didn't put that together. That's kinda on us, but it just all seemed to match up so well.

Now the image hint is past the source's normal window. This is uncharacteristic of him, which now allows doubt to seep in. Could this be the first time he was wrong? Could he be trolling? And the worst part is, we have NO IDEA what it means! We just have speculated how it could be for Geno, and other speculation is weak. It could literally be for nothing Smash related at all. We have no idea. Yet since Fatman shared it here, we have slowly garnered more and more hope around it when frankly, if he hadn't, we would just have the Mii Costume not returning to consider and we would have likely never thought thrice about an EVO reveal.

So I get it. I don't blame Fatman for how we reacted to it, but I understand feeling some sort of angst towards him.

Krystofr

Smash Rookie
It's obvious to everyone who's been here already so long, but I want to say it anyways, since I only started visiting recently to show my support! We are here to speculate, have fun doing so, and bring each other up! That's what this thread is about.

I've never once thought Geno was a shoe-in but I still really want to see him in, and the main piece that we all take away was that he wasn't put back in as a costume. That in itself was enough for us to at least not lose hope. But even if he did get his costume again, I'd still continue holding out until the very last moments like I've posted out before. Until they say no more characters or directly say Geno will not be present in this smash, then I'll keep wishing! You guys do it too! It's what important.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
You have no idea how relieving it is to hear I'll never have to read someone making ridiculous leaps and bounds to say it's an Edelgard hint ever again

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I guess considering after everything has been said and done, I do feel like it isn't completely over for Geno. It is just frustrating to keep waiting like this. But I get it. At the end of it all, it will be completely worth it.

I know we are a much better community than our small bit of salt today. I just hope everyone can understand that.

I guess we will keep waiting. Our time will come eventually.

Good night all.

D

Deleted member

Do you mind sharing the messages or would that hurt the NoA source? Cause if true then maybe this does mean something after all.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
The way some people are acting here leads me to believe that y'all need to get a life outside of speculation. And believe me, I mean that in the least disparaging way possible.

On that note, I'm going to bed. Here's hoping this ****show blows over by the morning.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
You have no idea how relieving it is to hear I'll never have to read someone making ridiculous leaps and bounds to say it's an Edelgard hint ever again
Nah, you see, since it's probably a smash hint it can still be Edelgard you IDIOT

(/s in case I need it)

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
So just don't act foolish and they won't have anything to make fun of. Simple as that.
Indeed.
I guess considering after everything has been said and done, I do feel like it isn't completely over for Geno. It is just frustrating to keep waiting like this. But I get it. At the end of it all, it will be completely worth it.

I know we are a much better community than our small bit of salt today. I just hope everyone can understand that.

I guess we will keep waiting. Our time will come eventually.

Good night all.
You're a victim out of your own expectations, Good Night SSGuy

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I would also like to apologize for being derogatory. It probably was not the best word to use in this situation.

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry you guys didn't get your Geno announcement. I've been lukering after Geno costume as been M.I.A. Anyways best luck to you guys. I hope Geno is in his own category. So we can also get Waluigi with out people complaining about to many Mario characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom