• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman
Not to interrupt the Geno discourse, but...

Just wanted to say hello! I'm a new member - I guess you'd call me a "Genoboomer" - trying to keep up with what's new. I've been lurking this board (specifically this thread) for a long time so this morning I decided to finally sign up and contribute. I love Smash, I love Geno and I love the community. I don't think I'll post much but I wanted to take a sec to voice my support for our boy!

I posted some pics on Imgur, but I wanted to share that I just added Geno (as well as Vivi, Duck Hunt and Treecko) to my Nintendo-themed tattoo sleeve project. Still need to fix a bunch of things (and update old things) but I do love being able to show off all of my favorites - and I've got Geno right up top and in front. The artwork is from my old forum-friend Sean Hicks, based on his artwork he did for Rawest Forest Reanimated!
Hey, nice to see yet another supporter for our one and only! Those tattoos look really good too! And I especially approve of the Geno and Vivi ones, those two are probably some of my favorite characters period!

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
I get what you're saying, but it's probably a matter of surprising people. As you said with Joker, they revealed he'd be released in April, but they didn't specify a date, and that was during a Nintendo Direct. I'd say that Nintendo made the release date "Summer 2019" to keep it more vague so there'd be a greater time period of which the Hero could appear, thus making surprises a little bit more... well, surprising. And yeah, the video was also about other titles that may not be releasing in July too, but I find it kind of hard to mix up July with Summer. It's not like it's just a bad typo or the like.
Well if was near the beginning of August then the mix up would make sense, but thinking about it more I'm more than positive that The Hero isn't dropping this week or next week. Reason for this is because of what's already getting released, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 (which Nintendo is funding) is releasing this Friday and next week is Fire Emblem Three Houses; they most likely don't want to release Smash Bros content around the same time as these two games release because there's a good chance that it could cannibalize the sales for those two games (this more applying to Marvel, Three Houses should still be good regardless but Nintendo has been laser focus on Fire Emblem lately so that will change after the release). Having The Hero be release near the beginning of August could help by having something to tie down Switch owners until Astral Chain release at the end of August.

I would like to be wrong, but as of now I just have a feeling that it's going to be August and not July.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Like I said, Hero NOT dropping this week would actually be a significantly bigger deal because it gives credence that the alluded to Direct is going to be a full on Smash Direct. Also, I'm going to go ahead and say it... I don't think Nintendo cares that much about EVO except on a most basic level. There are literally millions of people who own Ultimate around the world and, what, maybe a thousand people playing Ultimate at EVO in one location? There's no comparison especially since Nintendo has gone on the record time and time again to emphasize that the competitive scene isn't the only portion of the fanbase that matters.

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
So Lupin is probably a bust, but now at least, we can look forward to something bigger. Who knows, we may start to hear murmurs this week from other insiders.

EDIT: Welcome all you new people! This is pretty awesome to see the support build again.
Yeah, best case scenario for Lupin leak is a Hero reveal trailer dropped with Geno nowhere to be seen in the video at all. Which wouldn't be bad as it would mean he isn't a costume, but it also wouldn't jive well with our NOA ambassador's hint picture being about Geno.

As Fatmanonice Fatmanonice said yesterday, a full on direct announcement for later this week or next week would bode even better for us here because that makes it much more likely something significant and new is shown. Which lines up well with the history of our NOA ambassador only dropping hints for significant/new things.

Man, it sure is nice to be comparing good scenarios to great scenarios for once instead of bad scenarios to worst scenarios.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Isn't Lupin and Geno Bonus both still running? Both claim we get a video today and it's a some point today for the latter

Well they change the title from July to Summer quickly just like you said, and EVO starts on August 2nd and ends on the 4th. Having The Hero drop on the 6th of August seems more like what they intended to do. I don't see why Nintendo would want to hide the fact that The Hero might release in July when they were willing to say Joker would be release in April. I feel like they change the title because someone messed up on the date and Hero is dropping a week after July.
Every other game in the trailer is coming in July and Astral Chain was absent, despite being a summer release. That was 100 percent a July trailer.

riggsbass

Smash Apprentice
Oh DUDE, you're buddies with Sean Hicks? I LOVE his work for both Banjo & Kazooie and Geno! His talent is insane!

Welcome! We've been seeing so many more people coming in to voice their support, and it does my heart so good to see that my boy is this loved!!
When we were kids, Sean and I were members of a popular spriting board called "Pixeltendo" - run by Dazz from DidYouKnowGaming. That community eventually evolved into The Spriter's Resource! Our old Pixeltendo board reunited via a Facebook group and now I keep up with him and his work through socials! I loved his Smashified Geno and the rest of the work he's been doing, and was super excited for him when Banjo got announced.

Hey, nice to see yet another supporter for our one and only! Those tattoos look really good too! And I especially approve of the Geno and Vivi ones, those two are probably some of my favorite characters period!
Thank you kindly! I appreciate it - can't wait to shade them. My artist wasn't the most versed in these guys so I hope to work with some other people who might have an eye for fixing/adding the details I'm missing, but I think the Vivi came out the best out of these! Next I need to find someone to fix my Link (the artist who did his linework no longer tattoos...)

GENO FOR SMASH!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman
So, I know all about the Lupin leak and stuff, but has anyone said why it suddenly got popular? I mean, it's just a leak on 4chan iirc, what makes it different from all the other "leaks" on there?

Geno Boost

Smash Master
coming back here again to show off to show the next SMRPG character i modeled Domino!
i started modeling on him back in late 2017 but forgot about it until last week while i was at millitary and finished it there
here is something that you need to know the balls are used in his sprite sheet when he bring his pet Snake Mad Adder and use it as a way to make Mad Adder fight

more renders

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Like I said, Hero NOT dropping this week would actually be a significantly bigger deal because it gives credence that the alluded to Direct is going to be a full on Smash Direct. Also, I'm going to go ahead and say it... I don't think Nintendo cares that much about EVO except on a most basic level. There are literally millions of people who own Ultimate around the world and, what, maybe a thousand people playing Ultimate at EVO in one location? There's no comparison especially since Nintendo has gone on the record time and time again to emphasize that the competitive scene isn't the only portion of the fanbase that matters.
To be fair, there are actually almost 3,500 entrants for Smash Ultimate at this year's evo. That's more than double the COMBINED number of entrants for Melee and Sm4sh last year! That's one hell of a whoot for Smash. One could argue that it's the single most popular fighting game in the world right now. Granted, you're right, I don't think Nintendo really cares, but I still thought it would be cool to mention how much the competitive scene is growing.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
So, I know all about the Lupin leak and stuff, but has anyone said why it suddenly got popular? I mean, it's just a leak on 4chan iirc, what makes it different from all the other "leaks" on there?
I think it was mostly coincidences that helped with this one.
-Joker was released on the 17th of April, so why not the others?
-The two specific music tracks getting claimed by Nintendo. Weird right?
-Hero is dropping in the Summer. July sounds good!
-The next batch of amiibos are releasing this week (today) Joker was released along the same time the Amiibos were.

Mix it all up and boom. Bonafide details to make a 'leak' no matter how convincing it is.

Last edited:

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Looks like Nintendo is having a mini Twitter direct at the moment. In the last three hours they've announced: new Joycon colours, Luigi's Mansion 3 release date and new NES games to NSO.

And we still have 3 hours till Lupin is disproven or not

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
On the Amiibo note, Ken, Daisy, and Young Link were released a little less than a week before Joker came and we also know that the big online update that happened the other day was for the Virtual Console thingy, possibly giving more evidence that Hero's not coming this week m

AugustusB

Smash Champion

riggsbass

Smash Apprentice
coming back here again to show off to show the next SMRPG character i modeled Domino!
i started modeling on him back in late 2017 but forgot about it until last week while i was at millitary and finished it there
here is something that you need to know the balls are used in his sprite sheet when he bring his pet Snake Mad Adder and use it as a way to make Mad Adder fight
I love this! Have you done others? Where can I see the rest?

owjies

Smash Journeyman
On the Amiibo note, Ken, Daisy, and Young Link were released a little less than a week before Joker came and we also know that the big online update that happened the other day was for the Virtual Console thingy, possibly giving more evidence that Hero's not coming this week m
I think you’re right in that the further away from E3 we get, the more likely we are to get a full Smash Direct. August 8th is not that far away now, and that Direct last year was overflowing with reveals for the fans. If Geno’s going to make it into the fighter’s pass specifically, I think a Smash Direct is the right place to reveal him. August would also be a solid timing. Just like with K. Rool, the reveal would be close enough to E3 to ride the hype generated by Banjo (Ridley last year). It would also be far enough away from the holiday shopping season where a reveal might be more catered to a general audience.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I don’t really see how Hero not releasing this week at all influences whether or not his reveal will just be another shadow drop or a full on Direct... like, it just means he isn’t releasing this week and the new content approaching can easily come at any time later on.

Every other game in the trailer is coming in July and Astral Chain was absent, despite being a summer release. That was 100 percent a July trailer.
Fortnite is actually more of a smoking gun honestly. Season 9 of the game ends on the 31st of July, which is why I thought it was odd to show that section in the first place. I think it adds way more credibility to it being a full July based ad than anything else... though Astral Chain releases so much later to the point where it’s basically lumped in with September releases that I’m not sure it would have been included in a Summer trailer anyway.

And hopefully they didn’t correct it because Hero’s release date changed either.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I don’t really see how Hero not releasing this week at all influences whether or not his reveal will just be another shadow drop or a full on Direct... like, it just means he isn’t releasing this week and the new content approaching can easily come at any time later on.
Because when Joker shadow dropped, Sabi's source just flat out told us it was going to happen. He didn't give a cryptic hint. For news drops, he usually just tells us straight on. Like I've been saying, he's only done picture hints for news announced during Directs.

Last edited:

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144

I like the third picture. Also, what time does this "video" I keep hearing about come out again?

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Because when Joker shadow dropped, Sabi's source just flat out told us it was going to happen. He didn't give a cryptic hint. For news drops, he usually just tells us straight on. Like I've been saying, he's only done picture hints for news announced during Directs.
Well, given the fact that Sabi doesn’t think the picture means anything this time around, I’m not really convinced this point towards a Direct anyway. Sure, the source has had these patterns before, but Sabi is going to be the one I listen to here since she’d likely know best and she dismissed the photo as not belonging to the pattern of the others.

Last edited:

Nicnac

Smash Ace
I think you’re right in that the further away from E3 we get, the more likely we are to get a full Smash Direct. August 8th is not that far away now, and that Direct last year was overflowing with reveals for the fans.
I actually found some old August 8th memes I made a while after the direct just before this:
meme one.png
meme two.png
meme four.png
meme three.png

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Well, given the fact that Sabi doesn’t think the picture means anything this time around, I’m not really convinced this point towards a Direct anyway. Sure, the source has had these patterns before, but Sabi is going to be the one I listen to here since she’d likely know best and she dismissed the photo as not belonging to the pattern of the others.
But didn't she not trust the Banjo hints as well? If that's the case, I don't see why we should just disregard it on her word.
https://mobile.twitter.com/New_WabiSabi/status/1138505550612668416

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
Well, given the fact that Sabi doesn’t think the picture means anything this time around, I’m not really convinced this point towards a Direct anyway.
Sabi didn’t say that. She just said she doesn’t know one way or the other, and that she’s not gonna jump the gun.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
She dismissed the Banjo hints too.

https://mobile.twitter.com/New_WabiSabi/status/1138505550612668416

Along with that, she was with the rest of us in the Discord in thinking the crab hint was for a Pikmin 3 port.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
You’re twisting what she said:

0B83F0F2-F7F6-48ED-B10C-7400EC53682F.jpeg

She said it could very easily be nothing and she doesn’t know anything about it. She also said he didn’t label it a tease. That’s not her “not believing the picture means anything or dismissing it as not belonging to the patterns of others”. Those are your own interpretations of what she said.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
We got 45 minutes until the Lupin leak lives or dies, gang. Hang tight!
? I’ve not been able to keep up much, what was the lupin leak....?

Half asleep right now doesn’t help....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom