• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Come on, people are supposed to expect the possibility of an FE character. No big official, not even Reggie, entertained the notion of the pass just having third parties in it. Those who don't see it coming have only themselves to blame, especially since amnesia is apparently commonplace these days.

At least she doesn't use a bleeding sword, for once.

Not saying it'll happen (and it's likely that it may not, seeing how I'm proven wrong on a lot of things), but be open to anything happening, is what I'm saying.
Quite the contrary, my expectations are so low, that I expect exactly this to happen.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Come on, people are supposed to expect the possibility of an FE character. No big official, not even Reggie, entertained the notion of the pass just having third parties in it. Those who don't see it coming have only themselves to blame, especially since amnesia is apparently commonplace these days.

Not saying it'll happen (and it's likely that it may not, seeing how I'm proven wrong on a lot of things), but be open to anything happening, is what I'm saying.
Actually she can and has used a sword, but most of the time the axe is more highlighted, so I imagine she would just mainly use the axe.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I have serious doubts about that. Fire Emblem already has 7 characters already in the game, and I find it very unlikely that any more FE reps will be happening this time around. Nintendo can't twist Sakurai's arm twice on this given how Corrin was the least well received DLC entry and the lowest selling of Smash 4's DLC cycle.
That's an assumption, though, innit? I wouldn't be surprised if they were, but we have no official statement regarding that, so it isn't something we can state is factual.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
At least people can actually be pleasantly surprised for once (again) if FE newcomer's proven wrong. Just please try to remain calm this time.

Say Fatmanonice Fatmanonice if the leaker guy knows for sure that it is "bad" news, does he act much more differently? Doesn't seem like the type who'd mess with people's hopes like this.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord

Just because something is possible doesn’t mean that it’s probable and there’s a laundry list of reasons people have already stated as to why the bird picture if it is meant to represent a Smash Newcomer to be announced “soon” as the other hints have in the past specifically wouldn’t be Edelgard. Like I honestly don’t get the insistence that people here need to agree she’s somehow super likely the hint because it’s a bird on a house when there’s so much evidence to it not being her specifically. I don’t understand the notion that we have to emotionally brace ourselves for something that would be so unlikely.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Just because something is possible doesn’t mean that it’s probable and there’s a laundry list of reasons people have already stated as to why the bird picture if it is meant to represent a Smash Newcomer to be announced “soon” as the other hints have in the past specifically wouldn’t be Edelgard. Like I honestly don’t get the insistence that people here need to agree she’s somehow super likely the hint because it’s a bird on a house when there’s so much evidence to it not being her specifically.
Yeah. At any rate, we can add "bird" to the list of things that makes this thread lose motivation like the Yoshimoto army in Sengoku Basara. I just wish morale didn't constantly fluctuate like this. :ohwell:

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
At least people can actually be pleasantly surprised for once (again) if FE newcomer's proven wrong. Just please try to remain calm this time.

Say Fatmanonice Fatmanonice if the leaker guy knows for sure that it is "bad" news, does he act much more differently? Doesn't seem like the type who'd mess with people's hopes like this.
I wouldn't know because he's never presented anything to us that would qualify as this. He either does the picture hints or just flat out says things.

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman
Okay so basically Hero is pretty much confirmed to come out in July now or they wouldn't have shown up in this Nintendo advertisement. My question is does this fit within Sabi's sources time frame? I mean Hero releasing in July that is.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Well, apparently this July showcase trailer just happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=20&v=ldS_kVFyOAI

Is the Lupin guy correct?
Sounds to me like Hero either is releasing later today (or tomorrow) or very, very soon. If the former, that Lupin guy is either correct or made a lucky guess.

I really hope he is, honestly... because then, that means no Mii outfit for Geno. I can literally not think of a reason why they'd withhold that apart from 1) Square being stingy and dumb, or 2) Geno is going to be playable.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
The fact they showed off the Hero in this trailer pretty much confirms a July release, if not tomorrow or this week. My guess about Banjo releasing in September, #4 in November/December, and #5 being no later than February seems to be on target.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Just saying, I'll be fine with any outcome except for Edelgard, honestly. The landscape of Smash speculation is already a wasteland, so if Edelgard got in as DLC, it'd be that much worse. It would be even MORE salt-inducing than Corrin, I can guarantee you that, and this is coming from someone who is excited about Edelgard as a character in her own series. I have nothing against her, but her inclusion would be... hoooo.

1) She's another FE rep, which quite a few people are, in general, feeling adverse to until the next game (wherein we'll more than likely see cuts, including trimming down the fat of Marth cloneage).
2) She would be a 'shill pick'. Three Houses is not even out yet. Bringing in Edelgard right before or after the release of Three Houses without much chance for anyone to get attached to the character, without much chance for a public opinion to begin with, is right along the same line of thinking as Corrin. She would be just as much of an advertisement pick as he was.
3) Both of the above when the outcry was large against Corrin. Now, I'm not saying everyone hated Corrin or that the consensus remains the same outside of anecdotal experience with internet opinions, but... I rarely, if ever, saw praise for Corrin making it as DLC. It was mostly a lot of hatred. That'd induce salt due to Nintendo repeating the same 'mistake' again.
4) Rex was denied from Smash, FP included, because he was too 'recent'. The same applied to Springman, as well. Edelgard is even MORE recent. The massive middle finger to ARMS and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 fans would be insane.
5) The Fire Emblem fans who don't mind more representation or love Edelgard (as I'm sure she'd have her stans) may continue to build upon those flames. (I like Fire Emblem and I'd like more representation that's not just sword fighters, given the huge spectrum of classes, but it's just not time for that now.)

I think she's unlikely, but I wouldn't count her out. If she does happen, uh... whoooooo. I'm gonna be staying far away from social media and social venues of any kind online for a WHILE. It'll be a war zone.
I agree that a FE three Houses rep would likely not go over well with many Smash fans and I myself wouldn't want one. I also don't think a Three houses rep is likely for the FP as well, or any first party for that matter. That said I'd be more worried about Byleth than Edelgard. Edelgard could atleast bring something more unique to the FE side of things, assuming she wields and ax and uses magic, whereas Byleth would be another blue-haired, FE sword user. If Edelgard did make it in with an axe/magic moveset, I...wouldn't be upset. Wouldn't be that excited either, but wouldn't be that bothered. Byleth would just make me want to bang my head against a wall.

Another thing is honestly I've never been a fan of "avatar-ish" characters making it into Smash, which is another reason Edelgard would be better for me. Granted FE avatars generally have more character to them than avatars of other franchises, but the fact that their appearances/gender and stuff can be changed still make them have that "avatar-ish" feel to them. Maybe this is just me though.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Sounds to me like Hero either is releasing later today (or tomorrow) or very, very soon. If the former, that Lupin guy is either correct or made a lucky guess.

I really hope he is, honestly... because then, that means no Mii outfit for Geno. I can literally not think of a reason why they'd withhold that apart from 1) Square being stingy and dumb, or 2) Geno is going to be playable.
In addendum to this, the SMRPG music thing (although I really doubted this meant anything and still do), the starling thing, the possibility of Geno's Mii outfit not making it while Chocobo's hat does...

If this ends up happening with Geno's Mii outfit being MIA, someone is going to have to tie me down. I'm trying so, so hard to not have any hope right now, man...

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
So, consider the possibility of a Geno announcement. Am I the only one that thinks if we got a character reveal trailer, it would play Beware the Forest's Mushrooms leading up to the reveal and then Battle Against an Armed Boss during gameplay?

fits pretty well with those missing music pieces, huh?

Nicnac

Smash Ace

Zema

Smash Journeyman
So, consider the possibility of a Geno announcement. Am I the only one that thinks if we got a character reveal trailer, it would play Beware the Forest's Mushrooms leading up to the reveal and then Battle Against an Armed Boss during gameplay?

fits pretty well with those missing music pieces, huh?
My ideal Geno trailer headcanon includes him being Rosalina's Luma this entire time.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Well that is interesting. How many hours do we have to wait to see if it's real?
Within the next 24 hours. Considering that July release thing just dropped and the timing of the starling picture, it's making me ridiculously antsy. If they hadn't all happened so close together, then whatever, but the timing, y'all...

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
This feels very similar to how it was over on the Banjo forum. You guys are acting just like how they were and look where it got them! Just have hope but hope reasonably.

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Now that I think about it the Joker video did release on a Tuesday night. We'll see what happens, hopefully we don't see Geno as an Assist Trophy or Mii Costume added in.

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman
Here's an interesting leak. I doubt it's real but it's certainly interesting and especially when it comes to Geno. Anyone can make a fake leak but if this is true combined with the things that have came out within the past few days this would definitely raise a whole ton of suspicion.
One thing that I still question is did this guy mean Hero will drop at 7/17 or did he mean the video will drop then?

Ovaltine

Smash Master
This feels very similar to how it was over on the Banjo forum. You guys are acting just like how they were and look where it got them! Just have hope but hope reasonably.
The atmosphere does feel eerily similar, and it's making me insanely nervous. I don't like this feeling, y'all. I don't want to hope, because I don't want to have my heart crushed over Geno for the third time (first being the Hero being leaked, second being the Hero being confirmed, third being this)...

God, though, this feels just like the Banjo thread right now. To. A. T.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
At the very least people insisting Hero was going to release in August at the earliest have been btfo.
Including me, lel. :p Well, I'm used to being proven wrong a whole lot in this speculation cycle at this point...

Anyway, we pretty much have tomorrow morning or afternoon, depending on time zones, to find out if the leak's dead.

Last edited:

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
The atmosphere does feel eerily similar, and it's making me insanely nervous. I don't like this feeling, y'all. I don't want to hope, because I don't want to have my heart crushed over Geno for the third time (first being the Hero being leaked, second being the Hero being confirmed, third being this)...

God, though, this feels just like the Banjo thread right now. To. A. T.
Glad I'm not the only one that's noticed that. I hope the dream comes true, guys.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
So, in light of these events, what made you guys like Geno so much? If that's an ok discussion topic?
Oh boy, funny story, but I used to absolutely HATE Geno. I was in the bandwagon of hating him for being overrated, as well as not looking at him and seeing the forest for the mushrooms. (Heh... G- Get it... heh.) I didn't remember his character properly either, thinking that the fanon where he's this stoic jerk all the time was actually canon. I saw him one day, just stumbled on him, and was like, "Wow, I really like his design, actually. From an artist's perspective, it all checks out with great design philosophy." I revisited SMRPG, and when I saw how expressive Geno was, how jovial he was, and how sweet he was to Gaz in particular, I was honestly floored. It was entirely what I thought Geno wasn't, but there he was, plain as day.

Then I got to, "Yo, Smithy!" and I lost it, laughing at how out of the blue and painfully 90's that was. It was so unexpected coming out of Geno. From then, I started thinking of his lore potential, making ideas for how they could expand his character, and... welp. I was sold.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
The biggest thing that makes me doubt the Lupin Leak is the 3 new FF songs coming for free. I don't buy that in the slightest, Squenix are greedy enough to make us pay for some tunes. However it's such a mad, odd detail that it might just be real...

T2by4

Smash Lord
Let's just assume the Lupinleak is real and Geno's costume is still MIA. While I do think it is incredibly odd that it's missing for the square rep especially, what other costumes are missing? Do we have a head count? If it's only Geno then I think we may be onto something, but for now I'm still somewhat doubtful. Do we know if there are any costumes missing if said leak is true?

Last edited:

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Oh boy, funny story, but I used to absolutely HATE Geno. I was in the bandwagon of hating him for being overrated, as well as not looking at him and seeing the forest for the mushrooms. (Heh... G- Get it... heh.) I didn't remember his character properly either, thinking that the fanon where he's this stoic jerk all the time was actually canon. I saw him one day, just stumbled on him, and was like, "Wow, I really like his design, actually. From an artist's perspective, it all checks out with great design philosophy." I revisited SMRPG, and when I saw how expressive Geno was, how jovial he was, and how sweet he was to Gaz in particular, I was honestly floored. It was entirely what I thought Geno wasn't, but there he was, plain as day.

Then I got to, "Yo, Smithy!" and I lost it, laughing at how out of the blue and painfully 90's that was. It was so unexpected coming out of Geno. From then, I started thinking of his lore potential, making ideas for how they could expand his character, and... welp. I was sold.
Ah, I'm about the same. I'm a sucker for the obscure and unique characters in terms of design. That's probably what got me to love the Kirby and Smash franchise so much, all because of King Dedede. Anyway, I really liked Geno's design and I got to studying up on him and I really enjoyed his character. I felt he was diverse and after reading how absolutely bizarre Geno's history is with the Smash Bros series, I was hooked by how much of an anomaly he is in the world of fiction.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Let's just assume the Lupinleak is real and Geno's costume is still MIA. While I do think it is incredibly odd that it's missing for the square rep especially, what other costumes are missing? Do we have a head count? If it's only Geno then I think we may be onto something, but for now I'm still somewhat doubtful. Do we know if there are any costumes missing if said leak is true?
In terms of Squeenix, only Chocobo's would be accounted for, and only Geno's would be missing. In terms of a general thing, Akira and Jacky from Virtua Fighter didn't come with Joker, but they could come back later with another fighting game rep, for all we know?

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Well, apparently this July showcase trailer just happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=20&v=ldS_kVFyOAI

Is the Lupin guy correct?
Thanks for sharing! Hmm, given that the source’s picture leaks usually refer to information revealed roughly 2 weeks in the future at most, then I think this video reinforces the Starling’s connection to either Smash or FE: Three Houses (or Marvel / Fortnite lol).

If this Lupin leak is also correct, then perhaps the Starling is connected to Geno and meant to reference the missing Mii Costume.

That said, even if Lupin is right, I’m a little hesitant to get too excited given the backtrack after someone pressed him about Geno’s costume. He said something like, “I don’t remember if they showed him or not.” Lupin may be right and the costume may very well still show up.

Regardless, there’s been a lot of suspicious developments that are raising my hopes right now, so I’m going to take it one bit of info at a time. If Geno’s Mii Costume is missing though... hoo boy.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
So, in light of these events, what made you guys like Geno so much? If that's an ok discussion topic?
I got SMRPG for my 6th birthday and absolutely loved it and devoured the official strategy guide before I even started playing the game. Tbh back then I was really more excited to play as Bowser because monster bad guys were my favorites, but I always thought Geno's whole aesthetic and abilities were really cool. Megaman X was my favorite game before I even owned SMRPG so his similarity in abilities to Megaman probably helped. He's still really unique and creative as far as Mario character concepts go even after all these years. The reason why I'd like him for Smash is that he'd probably have a cool timed hit mechanic representative of the Mario RPGs which we don't have yet and bring with him awesome music and hopefully a stage as well.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Thanks for sharing! Hmm, given that the source’s picture leaks usually refer to things roughly 2 weeks in the future at most, then I think this video reinforces the Starling’s connection to either Smash or FE: Three Houses (or Marvel / Fortnite lol).

If this Lupin leak is also correct, then perhaps the Starling is connected to Geno and meant to reference the missing Mii Costume.

That said, even if Lupin is right, I’m a little hesitant to get too excited given the backtrack after someone pressed him about Geno’s costume. He said something like, “I don’t remember if they showed him or not.” Lupin may be right and the costume may very well still show up.

Regardless, there’s been a lot of suspicious developments that are raising my hopes right now, so I’m going to take it one bit of info at a time. If Geno’s Mii Costume is missing though... hoo boy.
The thing that makes me curious is that the Lupin leaker listed six Mii outfits, which is 1:1 with what Joker got in his pack. Of course, patterns are made to be broken and all, but it makes me wonder if Geno's outfit is, indeed, missing... should the leak be true, at least.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
The thing that makes me curious is that the Lupin leaker listed six Mii outfits, which is 1:1 with what Joker got in his pack. Of course, patterns are made to be broken and all, but it makes me wonder if Geno's outfit is, indeed, missing... should the leak be true, at least.
I counted seven:
Chocobo
Slime Hat
Daruga Knight
Lloyd Irving
Heihachi
Hoodie on Head
Byleth

I might be mixing up hoodie on head with something to do with heihachi though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom