• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
The thing that makes me curious is that the Lupin leaker listed six Mii outfits, which is 1:1 with what Joker got in his pack. Of course, patterns are made to be broken and all, but it makes me wonder if Geno's outfit is, indeed, missing... should the leak be true, at least.
With how big of a deal they made the Mii costume in Smash 4 (music with a fighter style reveal). Would be odd for it to be completely missing in action considering how they already have the rights for Geno for his spirit and player icon.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In terms of Squeenix, only Chocobo's would be accounted for, and only Geno's would be missing. In terms of a general thing, Akira and Jacky from Virtua Fighter didn't come with Joker, but they could come back later with another fighting game rep, for all we know?
Or maybe even a different kind of Sega character, like Arle or Kazuma. I'd be more than okay with either outcome~

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Well well well....Looks like the Hero *puts on shades* is drawing near. (YEAAAAAAAHHHHH!!)
And with him, confirmation of our dear Star Boy's fate. Starting to get vibes from how it was in the Banjo Thread when this was going on.

Deep Breaths people... patience is needed more than ever now.

EDIT: Did y'all notice Gamexplain talked about The Hero appearing in that video as well? And guess who was the voice for that video? JON.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
The thing that makes me curious is that the Lupin leaker listed six Mii outfits, which is 1:1 with what Joker got in his pack. Of course, patterns are made to be broken and all, but it makes me wonder if Geno's outfit is, indeed, missing... should the leak be true, at least.
It was odd too that he listed those specific costumess out then replied saying he "didn't remember" if he saw Geno's when pressed on it.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
User was warned for this post; media-only reply
The atmosphere does feel eerily similar, and it's making me insanely nervous. I don't like this feeling, y'all. I don't want to hope, because I don't want to have my heart crushed over Geno for the third time (first being the Hero being leaked, second being the Hero being confirmed, third being this)...

God, though, this feels just like the Banjo thread right now. To. A. T.
1563313011619.png

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Oh boy, funny story, but I used to absolutely HATE Geno. I was in the bandwagon of hating him for being overrated, as well as not looking at him and seeing the forest for the mushrooms. (Heh... G- Get it... heh.) I didn't remember his character properly either, thinking that the fanon where he's this stoic jerk all the time was actually canon. I saw him one day, just stumbled on him, and was like, "Wow, I really like his design, actually. From an artist's perspective, it all checks out with great design philosophy." I revisited SMRPG, and when I saw how expressive Geno was, how jovial he was, and how sweet he was to Gaz in particular, I was honestly floored. It was entirely what I thought Geno wasn't, but there he was, plain as day.

Then I got to, "Yo, Smithy!" and I lost it, laughing at how out of the blue and painfully 90's that was. It was so unexpected coming out of Geno. From then, I started thinking of his lore potential, making ideas for how they could expand his character, and... welp. I was sold.
I'll say it once and I'll say it again: Geno is THE foil of the quintessential 90's moody badass JRPG character, and that's why he's golden.

We desperately need more badass characters like him who are actually happy. Charismatic. Outgoing. Charming.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
I'll say it once and I'll say it again: Geno is THE foil of the quintessential 90's moody badass JRPG character, and that's why he's golden.

We desperately need more badass characters like him who are actually happy. Charismatic. Outgoing. Charming.
Not dark and edgy like Infinite the Half-Genie Hedgehog, the worst 90's JRPG character

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Not dark and edgy like Infinite the Half-Genie Hedgehog, the worst 90's JRPG character
You know you're too edgy when even the big guys realise you were a dumb idea in the first place and aren't allowed in the comics afterwards.

That being said, a more accurate better case is a guy that's already in this party. :ultcloud:Let's mosey!

Last edited:

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
You know you're too edgy when even the big guys realise you were a dumb idea in the first place and aren't allowed in the comics afterwards.

That being said, a more accurate better case is a guy that's already in this party. :ultcloud:Let's mosey!
I don't know all too much about Cloud's character, tbh.

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman
Geno Bonus.jpg
This dude also says Hero info will be on the 17th and.. This info is really big if true. I mean REALLY big. I doubt it and I'm trying to get my hopes down but the timing of all of this is suspicious. It's probably fake but man I hope this is real.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
If anything, the timing of all of this could also easily be people trying to mess with our heads. Let's not forget how much people love to fake things and try to nail perfect timing for said things to watch us suffer. Remember the Grinch leak and all of its coincidences.

SkeffVEVO

Smash Apprentice
I know that this is most likely fake, but I saw this posted as a comment on Sabi's latest tweet and found it interesting since it kinda connects to the Lupin "leak."Also, apparently this leak was posted on Sabi's Discord and people are talking about it. I'm not sure how true this part is but someone who is a regular commenter on PapaGenos' and Sabi's Twitter mentioned it on PapaGenos' latest tweet.

EDIT: It seems someone else already posted this. Sorry for the unnecessary post.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Just assume any leak after the first one that claimed the 17th (no Geno costume) is piggy backing.A lot of "leaks" starting popping up after his post all claiming the 17th but saying different things.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If anything, the timing of all of this could also easily be people trying to mess with our heads. Let's not forget how much people love to fake things and try to nail perfect timing for said things to watch us suffer. Remember the Grinch leak and all of its coincidences.
For such a short term? If anything, they would need a full week to make us suffer to the max, like said Grinch, not a frigging day.

In this case, it'd be pretty much "NEWS!? Oh, nothing, let's just carry on then". At least the killswitch is short.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Huh. They put out a Hero release trailer along with Fortnite and LM3 info, but not hide nor hair of anything related to Geno or anything else Square at all.

Not even any Mii costumes.

That's weird.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
Huh. They put out a Hero release trailer along with Fortnite and LM3 info, but not hide nor hair of anything related to Geno or anything else Square at all.

That's weird.
How so? Hero is the main draw of the update, it makes sense to give a show of him.

T2by4

Smash Lord
I know that this is most likely fake, but I saw this posted as a comment on Sabi's latest tweet and found it interesting since it kinda connects to the Lupin "leak."Also, apparently this leak was posted on Sabi's Discord and people are talking about it. I'm not sure how true this part is but someone who is a regular commenter on PapaGenos' and Sabi's Twitter mentioned it on PapaGenos' latest tweet.

EDIT: It seems someone else already posted this. Sorry for the unnecessary post.
We should know better than to trust a 4chan leak at this point.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Jesus this thread just imploded with comments, oooof.

Guessing the time of Truth is near then.

Hopefully it goes well for the Star Warrior himself.

:bowser::mario::starman:.

Ovaltine

Smash Master

That's weird.
Are you talking something like Joker's or the thing we just got wind of? When did Joker's coinciding Mii costume pack get released again? How much earlier did we see it before Joker's own trailer?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The first 4Chan leak might be legit. Might. Any others coming after it are just trying to catch its thunder.

Besides, there is one that did manage to leak a certain pot, which no one noticed until after the fact. Sturgeon's Law applies to leaks just as much as anything else.

Last edited:

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
How so? Hero is the main draw of the update, it makes sense to give a show of him.
Well, last game after Cloud was revealed, they showed off Chocobo hats and such things. I thought they'd at least do that here, but not a peep about anything Mii costume-related.

Last edited:

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Well, last game after Cloud was revealed, they showed off Chocobo hats and such things. I thought they'd at least do that here, but not a peep about anything Mii costume-related. I
Well, that wasn't really a Smash trailer per say. More a highlight of this month's content...

Ovaltine

Smash Master
yeah we have over 130 people watching the thread, it's crazy.
What can I say? People love our star boy. Hopefully, his future is brighter than we were being lead to believe with Hero's leak and reveal.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Oh right. Considering that Geno was shown as a costume after Final Fantasy content was revealed then it's possible that Square can and WOULD show content for other properties while showing a "main" one.

You know what? This could be the moment to see something. If it is a costume, then it is going to be a costume and if not then God knows what will happen.

:bobomb:.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Thinking about it. All the "Direct" hinting might be for Hero's release and details trailer like Joker got.

Or a smash direct. Either or.

Last edited:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Hello y'all, I've been lurking on and off in this thread since around the k rool reveal and now that were on the cusp of what could be a defining moment in our struggle( and I got off my butt to make a new account : ) I thought it would be the right time to join in on the hype just in case we ended up making it big so I could celebrate with the people I've been following for so long now. so here's to a brighter future for our beloved star on a journey almost 2 decades in the making for some!
So, in light of these events, what made you guys like Geno so much? If that's an ok discussion topic?
I first discovered geno when I got into retro games after the wii and wii u simply didn't appeal much. after hearing about it I was going to buy it on VC but I happened upon a copy that showed up one day at a local used electronics store not long after I found a snes in a good non yellowing condition and the rest is history. I've always been a big fan of robots and non human game characters that had a sort of walking arsenal design starting with robo from chrono trigger which I was fortunate enough to have played as a kid among other classics do to a friend with a cool older brother, so upon discovering geno I fell in love the moment I got control of him. Ever since I first wandered onto smashboards during smash4 and learned geno had an actual fanbase I've been hoping he would one day hit the screen so I'd have a character like him to play with in smash and he seemed my best chance of that, especially after that crazy mii costume reveal( big fan of sentinel too but MVC is harder to get people to play and it's not on a modern console). I've thought about all kinds of crazy ways sakurai could update geno to better fulfill the concept many of which I've seen brought up here. I think the legacyxp version is cool but felt safe and hoped a real smash version would cram all sorts of crazy weapons and gadgets into every possible release point to really make a statement to the general public that I've assumed don't really know geno besides what spills out of the core smash community.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, in light of these events, what made you guys like Geno so much? If that's an ok discussion topic?
Well, while I don't like him nearly as much as some of the people here, he's neat. Fires pebbles, rocket fists and stars, and ain't afraid of anything. He's fairly emblematic of how much SMRPG left the best impression on me out of all the Mario RPGs, with the rest not quite reaching those heights (I mean, SMRPG's not quite as rigid in terms of plot structure, for one).

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
While we are still speculating over the bird pic, one random idea that ran across my head is that, while some people are focusing on the "starling" part, and while someone highlighted the "European" part earlier, what if BOTH parts of the bird's name are significant? What if the thing being hinted at is a "star" for "Europe?" What kind of characters could potentially fill that role?

It would actually be kind of fitting too. We got a star for the west with Banjo, and a star for Japan with Hero. I guess some would say Bayonetta might already fill that role, since IIRC she was the highest voted in that region, but that was from Smash 4. Maybe Ultimate would want to get it's own character for that region?

I dunno, just spitballing here.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
This dude also says Hero info will be on the 17th and.. This info is really big if true. I mean REALLY big. I doubt it and I'm trying to get my hopes down but the timing of all of this is suspicious. It's probably fake but man I hope this is real.
If Geno was a bonus character, it certainly isnt happening betwern other character releases. They have a commitment to finish these 5 characters in 14 months total, and from what we can see with fighter 2 releasing 7 months into that, they need all the time they can get.

I can SEE Geno being a bonus 6th fighter (7th if you count PP), but he'd be after the last pass fighter is released.

So yeah, leak is BS, but i can roll with the idea

Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord

On top of not believing b.s. 4chan leaks, how the hell would a leaker know that geno is in and none of the other fighters? Like SPECIFICALLY Geno and nobody else. Even if we get The Hero tomorrow, I wouldn't take that to heart.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
If Geno was a bonus character, it certainly isnt happening betwern other character releases. They have a commitment to finish these 5 characters in 14 months total, and from what we can see with fighter 2 releasing 7 months into that, they need all the time they can get.

I can SEE Geno being a bonus 6th fighter (7th if you count PP), but he'd be after the last pass fighter is released.
Well, apparently, they have a 'surplus of time and money', according to Sakurai, and Hero being 99% complete and B-K being very darn near completion, looking almost finished, just feels like it solidifies that notion. So, really, who knows? They love to throw curve balls.

While we are still speculating over the bird pic, one random idea that ran across my head is that, while some people are focusing on the "starling" part, and while someone highlighted the "European" part earlier, what if BOTH parts of the bird's name are significant? What if the thing being hinted at is a "star" for "Europe?" What kind of characters could potentially fill that role?

It would actually be kind of fitting too. We got a star for the west with Banjo, and a star for Japan with Hero. I guess some would say Bayonetta might already fill that role, since IIRC she was the highest voted in that region, but that was from Smash 4. Maybe Ultimate would want to get it's own character for that region?

I dunno, just spitballing here.
Banjo and Kazooie are definitely European darlings, though. In fact, that's where they were born to begin with.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
In a way, it would make sense that Hero be released between today, or tomorrow since EVO 2019's deadline for patches is the 17th (or so I've seen), and not having Hero available for the SSBU tournament would blueball many pro-players waiting to lab with the character. In addition, Nintendo's flying to EVO 2019 winners from another SSBU open tournament if I remember correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom