• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Wait....

Banjo & Kazooie don't show up on the website yet, besides on the fighter DLC list.
They look to be pretty much ready to go, maybe need a few finishing touches. So why don't they have a fighter page yet like Hero?
Unless...

What if they've been waiting to add someone first?
Dont do it, dont you do this to me lol

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
People act like they can't change fighter number when Pokemon made a Pokemon #0 in Black and White. :4pacman:
While I get what you mean, but it's not the same scenario. The latter is an in-game choice, the latter is basically "sorry, we decided to switch the release date out of the blue.. so here¨s Geno". Just like how Edelgard would not go over well, Banjo Bros that doesn¨t care about Geno wouldn¨t be so happy about that. Unless he is an extra character that comes with Hero, it wouldn¨t make sense for them to do that.

Wait....

Banjo & Kazooie don't show up on the website yet, besides on the fighter DLC list.
They look to be pretty much ready to go, maybe need a few finishing touches. So why don't they have a fighter page yet like Hero?
Unless...

He is shown on the Website (see pic)

if he was to be announced as #4 or a bonus #7 I don't see why it would contradict the order, it's not like there going to or have to drop him mid-pass or at the very least until after banjo. now I think the chance of a straight up geno reveal coming up is minuscule but not too far fetched if they want to do a reveal with every new character release, also showing off #5 with the banjo drop. I think it's more likely to be a pair during or after banjo's release but who knows sakurai did say he hated having to sell the pass blind and that would expedite the process.
Exactly.. If he is announced soon, it will be either as one of the remaining characters of the fighter pass or a second bonus releasing after fighter 75/first of the second fighters pass

Attachments

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I think regardless off the current situation that Geno is inevitable. There's always some reason the next never ever character can't get in but they always do.

Ridley: "Too big and Sakurai already vetoed him."

K Rool: "Sure, Ridley got in, but K Rool is irrelevant and forgotten."

B&K: Well yeah, K Rool got in, but Banjo is irrelevant, forgotten, AND third party."

Geno: "Banjo may have gotten in, but Geno is irrelevant, forgotten, third party, AND not a main character."

Each time "it's different because of X" and each time Sakurai adds the character anyway and cites fan demand as the reason. Despite the "smash bubble" argument, the "promotion" argument, and the "he's not popular in Japan" argument, the never ever characters are getting in one after the other and Geno is the last one left.

His time will come sooner or later.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I think regardless off the current situation that Geno is inevitable. There's always some reason the next never ever character can't get in but they always do.

B&K: Well yeah, K Rool got in, but Banjo is irrelevant, forgotten, AND third party."

Geno: "Banjo may have gotten in, but Geno is irrelevant, forgotten, third party, AND not a main character."

Each time "it's different because of X" and each time Sakurai adds the character anyway and cites fan demand as the reason. Despite the "smash bubble" argument, the "promotion" argument, and the "he's not popular in Japan" argument, the never ever characters are getting in one after the other and Geno is the last one left.

Ridley I sort of understand prior to his reveal. But the rest is just... either trolls or people trying to anti jinx it so to speak

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman
Wait....

Unless...

And that person? Kasumi from the hit 2019 game Persona 5: Royal.

But seriously if this was to be the case which I doubt they could easily put "Bonus: Geno" instead of "#__ Geno" Sure it would mess up the website a little bit but there's no rule holding them back from doing it. Why wouldn't they do it for PPlant? Well I believe PPlant was planned for Base Game so he isn't really a Bonus Character more like an Individual Character you can get as a Bonus rather than a Bonus character you can get Individually.

Even if you want to consider PPlant a Bonus character he's solely a Bonus to the Base game and not a Bonus to the rest of the DLC which they could label Geno as if they really wanted to. It's a huge stretch and I don't believe this but there's no rule against it either it's one of many possibilities.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord

Geno: "I am inevitable."

too soon?

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman
I think it may just be because they accidentally leaked that Hero will be in July maybe they were saving it for a surprise Challenger Approaching thing. It still doesn't change the fact that apparently none of the games shown in that trailer will release later than July.

I'm thinking they accidentally screwed up like they did with Ganondorf in that one Smash for 3DS trailer.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I think it may just be because they accidentally leaked that Hero will be in July maybe they were saving it for a surprise Challenger Approaching thing. It still doesn't change the fact that apparently none of the games shown in that trailer will release later than July.

I'm thinking they accidentally screwed up like they did with Ganondorf in that one Smash for 3DS trailer.
Pretty much, yeah.

It's hilarious, though. Nintendo just, "OH HECK, we screwed up."

Icewolff92

Smash Champion

Penguinbowler

Smash Apprentice
I don't think anyone really has any doubts that sakurai can get whatever he want's into the game, the bigger one is if Sakurai will go Geno, or go someone else, he already got a square rep in the dlc roster, and the dlc was partially decided by nintendo itself. I would put Geno high on a second wave dlc or smash 6 base roster, but more iffy in one of the final 2 dlc slots. Not impossible, but not super likely.

Nicnac

Smash Ace

Yeah it's definitely a Hero drop, otherwise Astral Chain would have been shown, right?

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord

That's what I was thinking!

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Hey all, I haven't posted here in a while. I'm pretty content with accepting that Geno is a mii costume coming out with Hero at this point, mostly because Gunner is one of my favorite characters in Ultimate. That said...

If Geno isn't a costume that comes with Hero, I am 100% convinced he will be in the second fighter pass.

That's a pretty big if though.

Firox

Smash Master
And people are using their own bias to say that Edelgard is the Three House rep. If that picture was suppose to represent Edelgard then why not post a picture of an eagle on a house instead? I don't see any real reason why it's going to be Edelgard when we all know that Byleth is playable. Also this bird on a house picture doesn't have to relate to Smash Bros. It could be something else, but if we want to say this picture is Smash Bros related then there's other characters that could fit it more than Edelgard such as Velvet Crow.
To be honest, at the end of the day, we really don't know what the picture means. Like so many others have said, we'll probably just have to wait until the truth is released so we can all feel dumb for not seeing it sooner.

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman
Yeah it's definitely a Hero drop, otherwise Astral Chain would have been shown, right?
Exactly, I do believe Astral Chain releases after July but during Summer so they would've shown it if they were doing general Summer instead of just July

This is kind of unrelated but I think this also points towards Hero getting information tomorrow instead of today it's just a gut feeling. Even when that video dropped with the original name in tact I still feel like they wouldn't have done that unless it was tomorrow or soon yet not today.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord

honestly I always felt that order was mostly reversed, given geno was the only one that got directly recognized by sakurai while he publicly shot down ridley. I know he's 1st party but if sakurai can get a character he outright said wouldn't come then just about anyone can in my eyes.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm convinced. They're releasing either tomorrow or Friday at the latest. This is basically the Galaga/Castlevania soundtrack goofup all over again.

Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord
What if his potential reveal trailer has Mario and co chase after a spirit they defeated and the spirit flies into the woods and they chase it and, in a scene reminescient to SMRPG, the spirit enters a doll and Geno is revealed? I mean, they did use World of Light for Hero's trailer, so it's not impossible.
My headcanon to what the trailer is that it'll involve them finishing the fight vs sheik geno. They then get attack by more of evil spirits to which a small star erupts from the sheik and flies into the house (the house the spirit fight was set on), both fighters and the spirits stop fighting out of confusion for comedic effect as to what happened, a shadowy figure erupts from the chimney and out comes geno to save the day. I do have a feeling the trailer would involve the fact that geno is a literal spirit and will be capable of doing that.

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion

Tbh, Geno has the biggest merit out if any potential character: Sakurai's approval.

Sakurai has regretted not once, but 2 times failing to get Geno in the past 2 games. In Brawl it was an acknowledgment, in 4 it was a Geno costume with a unique titlecard and announcement that no other costume got. We dont have much to go on, but MAN does it feel like its Geno's time more than ever, considering we got Ridley, K. Rool AND Banjo in a single game and a 3rd missed opportunity would be just really odd considering how he likes the character

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I love that Nintendo can be hyper competent for 98% of the time they’re keeping a secret and then **** up at the very end.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Merch- Geno’s faces a very different set of circumstances in comparison to Banjo-Kazooie. There’s little to no SMRPG merch period since the game’s release over 20 years ago likely because the rights situation between SE/Nintendo is so tangled that it’s been easier to not sell anything at all. I don’t really see that as a negative point.

No “Cuphead on Switch”- Well if you just mean “company putting games on the switch” like with Microsoft we do have the FF games and Secret of Mana getting re-releases. The Xbox on Switch rumor didn’t pan out and people took that as a nail in the coffin for BK during E3 and look at what happened.

No MARIO RPG attention- We just had the SMRPG anniversary tweet by NoA a couple of years ago and SMRPG on the SNES Classic.

No leaker support- Tell that to Joker lmao. Even BK was seen as a long-shot up until a few weeks before his reveal because of the Grinch Leak fallout and Vergeben being insistent on Steve/“Minecraft content”. And then he quickly put in his support for BK less than 24 hours before their reveal after writing them off for so long.
I was mostly just comparing this to the Banjo Kazooie situation. Banjo Kazooie began to have a lot more going for them in the days leading up to E3 and hence the reason for all of the excitement for his possibility of joining the roster and especially things began to align in a positive way for a Microsoft character.

1. I understand Geno can't receive merchandise as easily as other characters. The absence of such a thing isn't a negative point against Geno, but the existence of such merchandise for Banjo Kazooie was a positive for him.

2. Cuphead on Switch was big ****ing deal that opened up the possibility of a Microsoft character in Smash in ways that previously were thought of as unlikely or even impossible. Our only previous indication of support between the two companies were a handful of Tweets, some cross-play, and Minecraft (which essentially operates as its own arm of Microsoft at this point with how Minecraft releases on everything, so it wasn't really notable). Cuphead had no reason to be on the Switch like Minecraft, hell it was arguably one of the Xbox One's biggest console exclusives (not a wide field mind you). So when it released that sent the potential for a Microsoft character in Smash through the stratosphere honestly. It was a moment that helped all potential Microsoft reps have a real chance to be in Smash, which in effect made Banjo Kazooie more likely. No such moment has come that has meant as much as that. It was an unheard of Microsoft/Nintendo collaboration. There has been no such big moment that has helped Geno's chances on an industry level like that. Anyone who thought Banjo Kazooie was dead without the announcement of a new game was really being an overly reactionary too.

3. I meant more of Mario RPGs in the plural and not the singular there. They've mostly been thrown under the bus in the form of the Mario and Luigi low quality remakes and Nintendo hasn't really gone out of their way to do much with the brand since 2016. Super Mario RPG on the SNES Classic doesn't really mean all that much special (every notable Square Enix property for the console except Chrono Trigger made it on the Classic anyway, which only highlights potential issues with Trigger and less of anything notable for the other properties since they clearly understood they couldn't do a SNES Classic without Square Enix. And at that point, there's no reason not to include Super Mario RPG). Tweets are super non-committal things and I don't see any reason to consider them much, especially since all it amounted to was a brief acknowledgement of Super Mario RPG on its anniversary. It just doesn't seem super substantial on its own to me. (This is somewhat a bias on my part I admit as I consider Twitter to be the most toxic, trash, and pointless social media platform in existence, so I take very little of what goes on it seriously. **** Twitter honestly).

4. No, characters don't have to be leaked, but again, that was a contributing factor that helped Banjo Kazooie's chances when so many "leakers" came out in support of the character. Vergeben also put in his support for Banjo Kazooie sooner than 24 hours beforehand for reference. There were just multiple people with some degree of credibility coming out directly in support of Banjo Kazooie in Smash and establishing expectations for him to be revealed at E3 There has been no one coming out to directly bat for Geno so far from such communities and the best we have right now is a super obscure bird picture that has no definitive meaning as of now.

Those were the unique circumstances leading up to Banjo Kazooie's moment that felt like the perfect storm of events for him to really happen. There were lots of factors pointing to this happening that had real weight behind them. Geno doesn't really have the same moment yet. He's much more comparable to King K. Rool before the August Direct than Banjo Kazooie. A character with some things going for him that depends entirely on how decisions regarding roster were made.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
At this point they are going to accidentally send out Geno during a balance update before he is even announced.
At this point they’re going to accidentally send out a copyright strike against music too early and they’d have 2 SMRPG songs taken down. Crazy, they’d never do such a thing, right?

I’m being sarcastic if it wasn’t obvious. It probably was just coincidental.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
The fact that Astral Chain isn't in the video despite being a Summer release, and every other game in the video is confirmed to be in July makes me 100% sure this is Nintendo covering their tracks.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Nintendo just quietly changed the tag on the video from July to Summer. Guess someone goofed. Eh heh heh heh...
..sigh...At least it was this kind of mess up and not oh...something like "Beware The Forest Mushrooms - Remix" showing up on the website. /S

Last edited:

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
I was mostly just comparing this to the Banjo Kazooie situation. Banjo Kazooie began to have a lot more going for them in the days leading up to E3 and hence the reason for all of the excitement for his possibility of joining the roster and especially things began to align in a positive way for a Microsoft character.

1. I understand Geno can't receive merchandise as easily as other characters. The absence of such a thing isn't a negative point against Geno, but the existence of such merchandise for Banjo Kazooie was a positive for him.

2. Cuphead on Switch was big ****ing deal that opened up the possibility of a Microsoft character in Smash in ways that previously were thought of as unlikely or even impossible. Our only previous indication of support between the two companies were a handful of Tweets, some cross-play, and Minecraft (which essentially operates as its own arm of Microsoft at this point with how Minecraft releases on everything, so it wasn't really notable). Cuphead had no reason to be on the Switch like Minecraft, hell it was arguably one of the Xbox One's biggest console exclusives (not a wide field mind you). So when it released that sent the potential for a Microsoft character in Smash through the stratosphere honestly. It was a moment that helped all potential Microsoft reps have a real chance to be in Smash, which in effect made Banjo Kazooie more likely. No such moment has come that has meant as much as that. It was an unheard of Microsoft/Nintendo collaboration. There has been no such big moment that has helped Geno's chances on an industry level like that. Anyone who thought Banjo Kazooie was dead without the announcement of a new game was really being an overly reactionary too.

3. I meant more of Mario RPGs in the plural and not the singular there. They've mostly been thrown under the bus in the form of the Mario and Luigi low quality remakes and Nintendo hasn't really gone out of their way to do much with the brand since 2016. Super Mario RPG on the SNES Classic doesn't really mean all that much special (every notable Square Enix property for the console except Chrono Trigger made it on the Classic anyway, which only highlights potential issues with Trigger and less of anything notable for the other properties since they clearly understood they couldn't do a SNES Classic without Square Enix. And at that point, there's no reason not to include Super Mario RPG). Tweets are super non-committal things and I don't see any reason to consider them much, especially since all it amounted to was a brief acknowledgement of Super Mario RPG on its anniversary. It just doesn't seem super substantial on its own to me. (This is somewhat a bias on my part I admit as I consider Twitter to be the most toxic, trash, and pointless social media platform in existence, so I take very little of what goes on it seriously. **** Twitter honestly).

4. No, characters don't have to be leaked, but again, that was a contributing factor that helped Banjo Kazooie's chances when so many "leakers" came out in support of the character. Vergeben also put in his support for Banjo Kazooie sooner than 24 hours beforehand for reference. There were just multiple people with some degree of credibility coming out directly in support of Banjo Kazooie in Smash and establishing expectations for him to be revealed at E3 There has been no one coming out to directly bat for Geno so far from such communities and the best we have right now is a super obscure bird picture that has no definitive meaning as of now.

Those were the unique circumstances leading up to Banjo Kazooie's moment that felt like the perfect storm of events for him to really happen. There were lots of factors pointing to this happening that had real weight behind them. Geno doesn't really have the same moment yet. He's much more comparable to King K. Rool before the August Direct than Banjo Kazooie. A character with some things going for him that depends entirely on how decisions regarding roster were made.
I remember when someone had a leak that said K Rool was an assist trophy.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019

He's too big
He's too irrelevant
He's owned by Microsoft
He's in.

Last edited:

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
So, they changed the date on the video from July to Summer. And I was told by a Banjobro that Astral Chain comes out in August, but was not in the video, so that means if any of the items in the video were supposed to come out later in the summer, Astral Chain would have been there but wasn't. This means they were trying to hide the fact that Hero, et al. comes out in July.

Which lends a tiny bit of credence to the rumor.

God DAMN I am bored. I'm so bored even I'm getting in on the rumor speculation. Someone help me.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
So, they changed the date on the video from July to Summer. And I was told by a Banjobro that Astral Chain comes out in August, but was not in the video, so that means if any of the items in the video were supposed to come out later in the summer, Astral Chain would have been there but wasn't. This means they were trying to hide the fact that Hero, et al. comes out in July.

Which lends a tiny bit of credence to the rumor.

God DAMN I am bored. I'm so bored even I'm getting in on the rumor speculation. Someone help me.
I think the rumor might be legit. Rip Namco rep. But yay my Resident Evil/Doom prediction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom