• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
The thing about Geno is, if the costume comes back and we all go silent, that's when it's all over.

Is the Mii costume a death knell for current plans? Absolutely, I believe so. New plans and revisiting Ultimate isn't too farfetched an idea, though, even if only for one or two more newcomers. Geno coming back elsewhere, while unlikely outside of Nintendo/SE crossovers, isn't out of the picture. There are still opportunities for Geno to get a revival, even if it's not his time yet.

Giving up support for him in Ultimate is understandable, but at the same time, I don't recommend growing silent. Let Nintendo know that we want to see him back, whether it's in Smash Ultimate's potential future plans (if any) or not. Don't hang up the flag. Just consider it one battle lost among the entire war. It's not over until we decide it's over.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I wish I could be that optimistic about his Ultimate inclusion, alas. I hope you're right, though.

With that said, B-K's support has always been very consistently loud. Geno lost some wind during 4, mainly because of how unlikely he seemed. It only really picked up with the ballot.
Ehhh I dont think B-K were loud until the ballot dropped along with Phil Spencer's tweet saying "Yo B-K for Smash, am I right?"

I like to think we are in a pretty good standing. I would be surprised if they did not shower us with a lot of Dragon Quest content in the form of Spirit battles and Mii Costumes. It is a LEGENDARY series, as they keep saying. It would be weird to not highlight it with some costumes of other familiar faces as Mii Costumes.

IDK, but I feel pretty optimistic about out Star Boy. (And still does my friend that is still saying he is a Lock ;) )

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
The thing about Geno is, if the costume comes back and we all go silent, that's when it's all over.

Is the Mii costume a death knell for current plans? Absolutely, I believe so. New plans and revisiting Ultimate isn't too farfetched an idea, though, even if only for one or two more newcomers. Geno coming back elsewhere, while unlikely outside of Nintendo/SE crossovers, isn't out of the picture. There are still opportunities for Geno to get a revival, even if it's not his time yet.

Giving up support for him in Ultimate is understandable, but at the same time, I don't recommend growing silent. Let Nintendo know that we want to see him back, whether it's in Smash Ultimate's potential future plans (if any) or not. Don't hang up the flag. Just consider it one battle lost among the entire war. It's not over until we decide it's over.
Well once the Geno Mii Costume gets revealed what we need to do is tell Sakurai and Nintendo directly that we don't like the costume. Voice our disappointment saying we're tired of these scraps and want them to actually go through with it. We don't want anymore "we hear you guys want Geno and we love Geno too," put up or shut up, no more middle ground.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Well once the Geno Mii Costume gets revealed what we need to do is tell Sakurai and Nintendo directly that we don't like the costume. Voice our disappointment saying we're tired of these scraps and want them to actually go through with it. We don't want anymore "we hear you guys want Geno and we love Geno too," put up or shut up, no more middle ground.
As long as we do so respectfully, I agree with making our voices heard that we are not satisfied with the costume. They've stated earlier in Ultimate's life cycle that they 'hear us' over how we want Geno and how they're 'listening', yet they have little to nothing to show for it. Our voices have to be loud — not laden with toxicity, but portrayed in a respectable, forthcoming manner.

Ehhh I dont think B-K were loud until the ballot dropped along with Phil Spencer's tweet saying "Yo B-K for Smash, am I right?"

I like to think we are in a pretty good standing. I would be surprised if they did not shower us with a lot of Dragon Quest content in the form of Spirit battles and Mii Costumes. It is a LEGENDARY series, as they keep saying. It would be weird to not highlight it with some costumes of other familiar faces as Mii Costumes.

IDK, but I feel pretty optimistic about out Star Boy. (And still does my friend that is still saying he is a Lock ;) )
Out of curiosity, would you consider Geno done and over for Ultimate if his costume came back? Forgive me if you've stated your opinion on this in the past.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
As long as we do so respectfully, I agree with making our voices heard that we are not satisfied with the costume. They've stated earlier in Ultimate's life cycle that they 'hear us' over how we want Geno and how they're 'listening', yet they have little to nothing to show for it. Our voices have to be loud — not laden with toxicity, but portrayed in a respectable, forthcoming manner.
Completely agree with this sentiment, but I'm honestly a little lost on how to contact Nintendo. Any ideas?

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Completely agree with this sentiment, but I'm honestly a little lost on how to contact Nintendo. Any ideas?
Physical letters are your best bet. That said, make sure to send physical letters to Square, too. Nintendo is but half of the equation, after all.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
Physical letters are your best bet. That said, make sure to send physical letters to Square, too. Nintendo is but half of the equation, after all.
Yeah, problem is I live in Scotland and am Scottish. This makes it a little bit of a pain, as NoE are definitely the least influential of the three, and are based in an entirely different country.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
If we do in fact get a Geno Mii costume then I'm gonna hang up my Geno coat. Could Geno still be in? Sure, but his inclusion as a Mii costume shows that he just wasn't considered for the roster at that time, almost like a direct deconfirmation. And I imagine that many of you feel that way deep down too.

Sorry to be so negative but those are my opinions on the matter.
My opinions are that it’d be bad for his chances in FP1 but I think at least a second FP is possible until Sakurai or someone else says otherwise. And that may be where Geno, Bandanna Dee, and other highly requested characters get in.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Out of curiosity, would you consider Geno done and over for Ultimate if his costume came back? Forgive me if you've stated your opinion on this in the past.
I have never stated it, but, personally, I think it would be over for Geno for the time being.

Somewhere in negotiations, Sakurai wanted the concept of "Everyone is Here", Cloud was very difficult to get (supposedly and Tansut saying he was pricey) makes me think a deal was made to get Cloud in. The deal could have been just Dragon Quest representation in the form of DLC, but why not double dip in the fighters pass? I could honestly see a scenario where Sakurai wanted Cloud as well as Geno, but Square-Enix wanted to get some more bang out of their buck. Thus, we would like Dragon Quest in.

Thinking back to when he asked for Cloud, Nomura was stumped by why he asked for Cloud and not someone more relevant. YET Square still worked with him in the end. So the question becomes...why would they say no to Geno if Sakurai asked? Something just doesn't seem right with this.

ALL OF THIS IS SPECULATION ON MY PART. However, the costume would be a pretty big nail in the coffin for Geno, for me, personally. Now could they make individual fighters for extra DLC down the line? Yeah. Likely? Who knows.

EDIT: Also, Sakurai LOVES Dragon Quest. He could have ditched everything to work on that. Who knows?

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I have never stated it, but, personally, I think it would be over for Geno for the time being.

Somewhere in negotiations, Sakurai wanted the concept of "Everyone is Here", Cloud was very difficult to get (supposedly and Tansut saying he was pricey) makes me think a deal was made to get Cloud in. The deal could have been just Dragon Quest representation in the form of DLC, but why not double dip in the fighters pass? I could honestly see a scenario where Sakurai wanted Cloud as well as Geno, but Square-Enix wanted to get some more bang out of their buck.

Thinking back to when he asked for Cloud, Nomura was stumped by why he asked for Cloud and not someone more relevant. YET Square still worked with him in the end. So the question becomes...why would they say no to Geno if Sakurai asked? Something just doesn't seem right with this.

ALL OF THIS IS SPECULATION ON MY PART. However, the costume would be a pretty big nail in the coffin for Geno, for me, personally. Now could they make individual fighters for extra DLC down the line? Yeah. Likely? Who knows.
Understandable, but given the chances look very good for his outfit coming back (it being a simple port of a fan favorite), it does kinda make me question how you're so optimistic about his chances in Ultimate then. The costume coming back being a nail in the coffin combined with its likelihood doesn't seem to be such a good look for our boy.

As for why Sakurai couldn't get Geno in this time, maybe he didn't even have the chance to ask. For all we know, he put Geno's spirit in for now due to lack of development time, perhaps thinking he could get Geno in as DLC later on... but then Nintendo had already decided on a DLC pack + ideas for it. It wouldn't have left much wiggle room for Sakurai to make a deal to get Geno when DQ was being pushed by Nintendo, especially since he, too, loves DQ.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Understandable, but given the chances look very good for his outfit coming back (it being a simple port of a fan favorite), it does kinda make me question how you're so optimistic about his chances in Ultimate then. The costume coming back being a nail in the coffin combined with its likelihood doesn't seem to be such a good look for our boy.

As for why Sakurai couldn't get Geno in this time, maybe he didn't even have the chance to ask. For all we know, he put Geno's spirit in for now due to lack of development time, perhaps thinking he could get Geno in as DLC later on... but then Nintendo had already decided on a DLC pack + ideas for it. It wouldn't have left much wiggle room for Sakurai to make a deal to get Geno when DQ was being pushed by Nintendo, especially since he, too, loves DQ.
As weird as this is, I just have a gut feeling. Thats all I can tell you lol. Sakurai is paying attention to fan demand in some fashion. It was made clear with his recent famitsu about Banjo and Kazooie's inclusion and how he stated that the demand was high.

He is paying attention...I just have to believe. (Call me Parappa the Rapper!)

Ovaltine

Smash Master
As weird as this is, I just have a gut feeling. Thats all I can tell you lol. Sakurai is paying attention to fan demand in some fashion. It was made clear with his recent famitsu about Banjo and Kazooie's inclusion and how he stated that the demand was high.

He is paying attention...I just have to believe. (Call me Parappa the Rapper!)
Well, I hope you and your buddy's gut feelings will be right. If not, there is still AlphaDream's mysterious project to look forward to. The fact that it's been taking so long is curious, and the recent job listings (a little bit before Monolith's for BotW2) makes me think we'll see hide and hair from it sooner rather than later.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
If we do in fact get a Geno Mii costume then I'm gonna hang up my Geno coat. Could Geno still be in? Sure, but his inclusion as a Mii costume shows that he just wasn't considered for the roster at that time, almost like a direct deconfirmation. And I imagine that many of you feel that way deep down too.

Sorry to be so negative but those are my opinions on the matter.
You can still keep supporting the character; it's not like the Ridley and K. Rool fanbases stopped after Ridley was turned into a stage hazard that teamed up with whoever beat him up and K. Rool got a really awkward-looking Mii costume.

Not sure if you meant that you'd stop supporting Geno for Ultimate, or stop supporting Geno for Smash in general, but the post came across as the second one for me.

BZocky

Smash Ace
Geno would be the best 3rd party pick to promote a SNES Nintendo Online service. He's got a tremendous fan following and he's a Mario character who had his only major appearance on that console

Last edited:

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
What's this about disappointment coming with Hero's mii costumes?

Anyway I've been vocal about giving up on Geno for Ultimate if the costume comes back, but at the end of the day I still think it's a sign of validation for the character and his fanbase.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
What's this about disappointment coming with Hero's mii costumes?

Anyway I've been vocal about giving up on Geno for Ultimate if the costume comes back, but at the end of the day I still think it's a sign of validation for the character and his fanbase.
Supposedly, the costumes are to be very 'Salt Induced'. Popeye has made a guess towards it being the other Square Characters that were rumored in the past. (The Square Seven). Outside of the Luminary and Erdrick, the costumes would be Crono, Geno, Sephiroth, Slime (Hat) and of course Sora.

I personally don't buy it, but it is possible.

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
Supposedly, the costumes are to be very 'Salt Induced'. Popeye has made a guess towards it being the other Square Characters that were rumored in the past. (The Square Seven). Outside of the Luminary and Erdrick, the costumes would be Crono, Geno, Sephiroth, Slime (Hat) and of course Sora.

I personally don't buy it, but it is possible.
Who started this?

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
This is what people who drop their support for Geno in SSBU if the costume is revealed are going to look like if other highly requested characters like Rex and Bandanna Dee make it into SSBU as extra DLC and Geno doesn’t because his support died off:

613C4B7B-0273-4722-B4D9-2E8F22142197.jpeg

D

Deleted member

This is what people who drop their support for Geno in SSBU if the costume is revealed are going to look like if other highly requested characters like Rex and Bandanna Dee make it into SSBU as extra DLC and Geno doesn’t because his support died off:

View attachment 230107
Kinda, ngl.

A Mii Costume isn’t necessarily the end, and hope can still be present as long as Sakurai doesn’t come out to say “Geno won’t be in”.

Ovaltine

Smash Master

View attachment 230107
I sure as hell won't let my support die off, and I recommend that everyone else keeps their voices loud and clear. I refuse to take the costume and be happy with that without a fight. After all of the bull**** I've been getting from the rest of the fan base for daring to like a certain video game character, after all of the rubbing it in my face that 'Geno will never be in' and to just 'give up' because 'no one loves him and I'm being delusional', I won't just back down. I'm all in on him. My support will not fade.

The toxic DQ fans (which is only a minority, mind, because I know there are many good DQ fans out there, including some I know personally) who keep spamming HOES MAD and act childish over, "Neener neener, our rep is in and your irrelevant puppet isn't!" aren't going to make me shut up. I'm not gonna just take the L and just give up. Ridley's fans didn't. My fellow Rareware buffs (K. Rool and Banjo-Kazooie) didn't give up. I won't either, no matter how much people cry and harass me over liking a freaking video game character.

... Sorry, bit of a rant. I've been getting too much **** and seeing other Geno fans being made into laughingstocks to not be bitter and depressed over it. The fan base has really done a number on me. The bullying is getting to be too much, and to have us vilified through the Mii costume makes it that much worse. I know I'm not gonna hear the end of it. None of us will.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
Who started this?
I might be wrong, but here's my take. Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , who is a longstanding member of Smashboards, is also a Geno fan. I assume that over the amount of time he's spent here, he got to know Sabi/PolarPanda, as I think they hint at stuff to him a little before public leaks. Obviously this can't happen anymore as Sabi got hit with a C&D by the big N, but one of the things Sabi's source either hinted at or said was that the second set of Mii Costumes had a salt-inducing pick that would be dislike-bombed. The rest is pure speculation as to what that pick is. In my eyes it's Sora, maybe Sephiroth and Crono, or maybe Neku from TWEWY.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I sure as hell won't let my support die off, and I recommend that everyone else keeps their voices loud and clear. I refuse to take the costume and be happy with that without a fight. After all of the bull**** I've been getting from the rest of the fan base for daring to like a certain video game character, after all of the rubbing it in my face that 'Geno will never be in' and to just 'give up' because 'no one loves him and I'm being delusional', I won't just back down. I'm all in on him. My support will not fade.

The toxic DQ fans (which is only a minority, mind, because I know there are many good DQ fans out there, including some I know personally) who keep spamming HOES MAD and act childish over, "Neener neener, our rep is in and your irrelevant puppet isn't!" aren't going to make me shut up. I'm not gonna just take the L and just give up. Ridley's fans didn't. My fellow Rareware buffs (K. Rool and Banjo-Kazooie) didn't give up. I won't either, no matter how much people cry and harass me over liking a freaking video game character.

... Sorry, bit of a rant. I've been getting too much **** and seeing other Geno fans being made into laughingstocks to not be bitter and depressed over it. The fan base has really done a number on me. The bullying is getting to be too much, and to have us vilified through the Mii costume makes it that much worse. I know I'm not gonna hear the end of it. None of us will.
Out of genuine curiosity, where are you getting all this hate for Geno from? I know a lot of people talk about the hate and toxicity that they find for supporting Geno, but I rarely, if ever see it on most of the places I frequent regarding Smash discussions. SmashBoards, ResetEra, and r/SmashBros are all generally well moderated platforms to discuss Smash and I rarely see anything genuinely insulting or problematic regarding the characters through those venues. I mean, sure, people say, "I'm confused why this random character has support" or "I don't think he's ever going to happen" with occasionally a little more spice than that, but for the most part those neutral responses are what I've seen. A lot of Youtubers also seem to support Geno in some capacity. Once you start going to GameFAQs and 4chan, yeah things get worse. But both of those places are cesspools of nihilistic misanthropy that generally show off the worst of people in general and often have users who support nothing but misery. I guess Twitter could be rough (I don't use it), but I'd argue Twitter has shown exactly the platform it wants to be within the past couple of years and it's complete unwillingness to moderate or deal with the issues of the platform. And as such, it has also increasingly become a place where you should just expect misery on whatever topic is being discussed... (Which is sad, the platform was genuinely fun back when it didn't seem as intertwined with political bull**** and unsavory people being legitimized in their hatred).

I don't doubt you've experienced it, but I've also just not seen as much of this as everyone else has it seems. And the places I do see it on are usually not places I expect any sort of positivity from anyway regarding much of anything. I mean I've seen people occasionally go too far with their "never ever" comments, but even then, they are usually quickly reprimanded by the community/called out on that front. But again, I'm more disconnected from a lot of the other social media platforms than most because I inherently dislike most of them.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Out of genuine curiosity, where are you getting all this hate for Geno from? I know a lot of people talk about the hate and toxicity that they find for supporting Geno, but I rarely, if ever see it on most of the places I frequent regarding Smash discussions. SmashBoards, ResetEra, and r/SmashBros are all generally well moderated platforms to discuss Smash and I rarely see anything genuinely insulting or problematic regarding the characters through those venues. I mean, sure, people say, "I'm confused why this random character has support" or "I don't think he's ever going to happen" with occasionally a little more spice than that, but for the most part those neutral responses are what I've seen. A lot of Youtubers also seem to support Geno in some capacity. Once you start going to GameFAQs and 4chan, yeah things get worse. But both of those places are cesspools of nihilistic misanthropy that generally show off the worst of people in general and often have users who support nothing but misery. I guess Twitter could be rough (I don't use it), but I'd argue Twitter has shown exactly the platform it wants to be within the past couple of years and it's complete unwillingness to moderate or deal with the issues of the platform. And as such, it has also increasingly become a place where you should just expect misery on whatever topic is being discussed... (Which is sad, the platform was genuinely fun back when it didn't seem as intertwined with political bull**** and unsavory people being legitimized in their hatred).

I don't doubt you've experienced it, but I've also just not seen as much of this as everyone else has it seems. And the places I do see it on are usually not places I expect any sort of positivity from anyway regarding much of anything. I mean I've seen people occasionally go too far with their "never ever" comments, but even then, they are usually quickly reprimanded by the community/called out on that front. But again, I'm more disconnected from a lot of the other social media platforms than most because I inherently dislike most of them.
I have also fortunately never experienced any kind of harassment for being a Geno supporter, though I'm not very vocal or present on social media.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Yeah, it mainly is social media, I'm afraid. Twitter and Tumblr (yes, I know rofl) are horrid places to be a Geno fan, the former more so. It's honestly frustrating. I'm glad some of you haven't seen or been the target of just how vicious and venomous those people can be.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

View attachment 230107
Oh yeah, of course, it's that crucial late 2019-mid 2020 popularity that will prove Geno is a popular request. Not the c. 2006-mid 2019 part.

But don't fret, Rex and Bandana Dee aren't getting in either. ;)

Yeah, it mainly is social media, I'm afraid. Twitter and Tumblr (yes, I know rofl) are horrid places to be a Geno fan, the former more so. It's honestly frustrating. I'm glad some of you haven't seen or been the target of just how vicious and venomous those people can be.
Well that's just it: Smashboards, Resetera, and r/SmashBros are pretty decent places for Smash discussion (though resetera has some clear biases), twitter less so, and GameFAQs and 4chan may as well be condemned imo. It would be stranger if characters didn't get torn down there.

And also, the more the character moves into the spotlight, the more mud will be flung at them. It's best to just take it on the chin. If anything, it's actually a measure of success. People love to hate what's popular.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
Oh yeah, of course, it's that crucial late 2019-mid 2020 popularity that will prove Geno is a popular request. Not the c. 2006-mid 2019 part.
Well that recent time period proves that the character's still popular. Krystal peaked back before Brawl, and now her fanbase is a husk of its former self. And now she's an assist. A good one with depth, but an AT nonetheless, with less chance than, say, Isaac or Waluigi, even though they're assists too. It's the consistent popularity that matters.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord

But don't fret, Rex and Bandana Dee aren't getting in either. ;)

Well that's just it: Smashboards, Resetera, and r/SmashBros are pretty decent places for Smash discussion (though resetera has some clear biases), twitter less so, and GameFAQs and 4chan may as well be condemned imo. It would be stranger if characters didn't get torn down there.

And also, the more the character moves into the spotlight, the more mud will be flung at them. It's best to just take it on the chin. If anything, it's actually a measure of success. People love to hate what's popular.
Sorry, who the **** are you? Are you part of Nintendo leadership, on the SSBU dev team, or have access to some sort of insider information? Because if it’s no to all of the above I’m not sure where this knowingly arrogant snark is coming from considering no one except those people i listed know who the remaining FP characters are much less whether there’ll be an FP2 or what characters will be coming if one does happen. Also if you don’t think Nintendo is paying attention to what characters are getting attention both in the past and currently with respect to what they may try to negotiate for in the near future you should make an appointment to get fitted for some clown shoes ASAP.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Sorry, who the **** are you? Are you part of Nintendo leadership, on the SSBU dev team, or have access to some sort of insider information? Because if it’s no to all of the above I’m not sure where this knowingly arrogant snark is coming from considering no one except those people i listed know who the remaining FP characters are much less whether there’ll be an FP2 or what characters will be coming if one does happen. Also if you don’t think Nintendo is paying attention to what characters are getting attention both in the past and currently with respect to what they may try to negotiate for in the near future you should make an appointment to get fitted for some clown shoes ASAP.
Snark aside that seems more directed at the concept of further DLC rather than any individual character (at least that's how I read it), I agree with the sentiment the absolute most recent support probably doesn't matter too much. Like that just doesn't make sense that you'd take the 13 years of prior requesting and throw it away because there was some loss in confidence post release which is likely indicative of all characters with a presence in base. They probably all dropped post November due to uncertainty regarding the future. Plus, with how early DLC seems to have been negotiated for Ultimate, you'd expect any future DLC (assuming it continues where the Fighter's Pass leaves off) would either already be decided or is currently being decided upon. You wouldn't really be paying attention to the trend once you noted the character's history as a fan request and began proceeding with proper licensing and deal making with Square Enix. Like if there hasn't been any major drop in Geno support that isn't in line with drops in support across other characters in similar positions by now, it's not going to really matter too much for a potential next wave of DLC if support for him falters. With how early on those decisions have to be made, I don't think we really could influence much of anything at this point positively or negatively.

All the wheels of Ultimate are already turning, current support may reflect a certain way to future games, but I think most of the characters and situations surrounding those characters are probably more or less set in stone by now.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
You can still keep supporting the character; it's not like the Ridley and K. Rool fanbases stopped after Ridley was turned into a stage hazard that teamed up with whoever beat him up and K. Rool got a really awkward-looking Mii costume.

Not sure if you meant that you'd stop supporting Geno for Ultimate, or stop supporting Geno for Smash in general, but the post came across as the second one for me.
I meant the former, I'll still keep supporting Geno for future games.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Daaaaamn. That anger needs some working on.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Sorry, who the **** are you? Are you part of Nintendo leadership, on the SSBU dev team, or have access to some sort of insider information?

Because if it’s no to all of the above I’m not sure where this knowingly arrogant snark is coming from considering no one except those people i listed know who the remaining FP characters are much less whether there’ll be an FP2 or what characters will be coming if one does happen. Also if you don’t think Nintendo is paying attention to what characters are getting attention both in the past and currently with respect to what they may try to negotiate for in the near future you should make an appointment to get fitted for some clown shoes ASAP.
Yikes, struck a nerve, huh?

No, he isn't going to forget about the fanbase he's been aware of and has tried to placate since Brawl simply because you momentarily lapse to the level of noise you were at when you first got Geno content. Cause you guys weren't as loud back then either. Just because you aren't playable doesn't mean you aren't remembered. Not everyone is going to be playable. But to suggest a bracket of several months will tarnish the past thirteen years of fluctuating but nevertheless noticeable popularity is a myopic stance.

Also, I understand the opposite mentality is easier to rally behind, the "it's always super important to keep pushing!" mentality, but it's further from reality. Sakurai isn't going to literally stop asking for requests, he's not going to discourage activity, and then send out popularity scouts to see who refused to listen. It's not some bluff. People are free to keep at it, but the recruiters aren't going to pick whoever is last to leave the game, they're going to pick who played best when all were involved. They still have access to that data. And frankly on that end, you need not worry. Geno always performs well. It will never be a lack of popularity that keeps Geno out.

Plus the support of the two characters you chose as alternatives that prove that constant demand matters has significantly died down as of late. Rex and Bandana Dee haven't been focal points of sustained conversation for months. If your premise of current popularity being critical is true, which it isn't, they wouldn't get in anyway.

Well that recent time period proves that the character's still popular. Krystal peaked back before Brawl, and now her fanbase is a husk of its former self. And now she's an assist. A good one with depth, but an AT nonetheless, with less chance than, say, Isaac or Waluigi, even though they're assists too. It's the consistent popularity that matters.
Geno's popularity isn't tied to his activity like Krystal's is. Hers has declined due to her bout of prolonged absence. Were what you suggest the case, every deconfirmed character would struggle to regain their popularity once the next game emerges, due to the diminished activity that follows. But that's not what happens. Only the ones who are seen to have lost their shot at inclusion fail to rebound. Typically these are the ones tied to activity, who are no longer active.

The Krystals, the Midnas, the Lyns, the Starfys, the Dillons. Geno is more akin to Isaac or K. Rool. Their popularity isn't significantly hindered by their dormancy. To that end, they can get deconfirmed or omitted and still reset every cycle. Sometimes they might find more popularity than others, but they eschew what many characters suffer from, popularity informed partially by recency.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Geno's popularity isn't tied to his activity like Krystal's is. Hers has declined due to her bout of prolonged absence. Were what you suggest the case, every deconfirmed character would struggle to regain their popularity once the next game emerges, due to the diminished activity that follows. But that's not what happens. Only the ones who are seen to have lost their shot at inclusion fail to rebound. Typically these are the ones tied to activity, who are no longer active.

The Krystals, the Midnas, the Lyns, the Starfys, the Dillons. Geno is more akin to Isaac or K. Rool. Their popularity isn't significantly hindered by their dormancy. To that end, they can get deconfirmed or omitted and still reset every cycle. Sometimes they might find more popularity than others, but they eschew what many characters suffer from, popularity informed partially by recency.
Honestly...I think people kinda forget that at some point, Geno was basically on the same boat as those characters.

Geno support was mostly kinda dead for most of Smash 4's lifespan, most people just stopped talking about him after Brawl.

Like, just look at his Smash 4 support thread. In comparison to this thread, it's absolutely puny, not even 100 pages. Even Krystal's had like over 300 pages. Freaking Daisy of all characters had 200 pages.

It really wasn't until Sakurai came along with that interview acknowleding his popularity back in 2016 and the Mii Fighter costume that rekindled the flames for Geno.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Honestly...I think people kinda forget that at some point, Geno was basically on the same boat as those characters.

Geno support was mostly kinda dead for most of Smash 4's lifespan, most people just stopped talking about him after Brawl.

Like, just look at this Smash 4 support thread. In comparison to this thread, it's absolutely puny, not even 100 pages. Even Krystal's had like over 300 pages. Freaking Daisy of all characters had 200 pages.

It really wasn't until Sakurai came along with that interview acknowleding his popularity back in 2016 and the Mii Fighter costume that rekindled the flames for Geno.
Yeah, I'd say that Geno support died after Brawl because Brawl was perceived as his best shot. Now we're here and his chances, while still slim as can be, have never been better. If he doesn't make it this time, Banjo-Kazooie has inspired me to believe that he will return one day, as long as we keep our voices loud and clear. We can't lapse into silence again.

Also, unrelated, but I keep thinking your avatar is Vinny's meat and I just start laughing. (Warning, video is full of suggestive themes.)

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Like, just look at his Smash 4 support thread. In comparison to this thread, it's absolutely puny, not even 100 pages. Even Krystal's had like over 300 pages. Freaking Daisy of all characters had 200 pages.

Yep, and yet that didn't inhibit his popularity from getting acknowledged.

But he wasn't dead - he just wasn't as popular. There usually aren't that many character threads that crack 100 pages. Also, you really gotta take the activity in some threads for female characters with a grain of salt, they're usually... what's the best word... "intense" to a degree that doesn't actually reflect how popular the character is. I mean right now the Lip thread is almost at 100 pages. The Lip thread.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I like to think that if a thread can still constantly stay on the first page of newcomer speculation without much prodding from current news, that is the mark of a decently popular character. Especially when it comes to droughts or the character having little chance at that exact moment.

GrungeMan

Smash Apprentice
This definitely seems like a minority opinion, and I've stated this previously in the thread, but I don't take Geno's Mii Costume as a hard deconfirm.

Does the Mii Costume seemingly hurt Geno's chances? Probably, yeah. I wouldn't be surprised if we just ended up with the Geno costume.

Should this be treated as gospel? No.

At some point in smash, whether in Ultimate or in the future, a third party character and their Mii Costume will co-exist. Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it won't happen at all.

I really hope Geno is the first to break this pretty cynical fan rule.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Sabi's source was super vague. Basically made comments that the next fighter pass video (like the one Joker got) would probably be extremely unpopular but didn't go into specifics. Like I said a while back, my guess is that a big character like Sora, Sephiroth, or Crono has been turned into a Mii costume. I don't think it relates to Geno because, as we've lamented here, a good chunk of the Smash fanbase has counted Geno out for more than half a year so I don't think him being shown as a costume would have a huge backlash . For all I know it may not even relate to the Mii costumes but I can't think of what would make people as upset as he implied.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Sabi's source was super vague. Basically made comments that the next fighter pass video (like the one Joker got) would probably be extremely unpopular but didn't go into specifics. Like I said a while back, my guess is that a big character like Sora, Sephiroth, or Crono has been turned into a Mii costume. I don't think it relates to Geno because, as we've lamented here, a good chunk of the Smash fanbase has counted Geno out for more than half a year so I don't think him being shown as a costume would have a huge backlash . For all I know it may not even relate to the Mii costumes but I can't think of what would make people as upset as he implied.
That's... odd. Are we sure he's talking about the Mii costumes then? Maybe DQ is coming with far less satisfactory stuff beyond the actual rep. Maybe the music pool is way smaller than Joker's? That would warrant a salt bomb after FF's poor treatment in the music department.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom