• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, I feel like people putting items on is more common than some people give it credit for.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I wonder how easy SSS is to hack. I believe it has a program for actual ROM hacking. Hmm...

Just saying, a game in SSS's engine with Geno and Mallow as a playable duo with a story that expands on them both would be... pretty cool. (eyes emoji)

D

Deleted member

Man, having a playable Wario in an RPG format would be great. Same goes for Waluigi, though his playstyle might be harder to pin down.
Wario would be easy to implement in a Mario RPG. I found another concept for it, this time for Paper Mario:
d7vm2l5-f94d7281-bde7-4274-bea9-1ad704121e78.gif

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Besides something anything Mario RPG related, it would be all kinds of rad to see Wario AND Waluigi as duo doing something.

A platformer. An RPG. A party game. A minigame title. Anything.

They are so wacky characters that can be made entertaining in almost anything.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Besides something anything Mario RPG related, it would be all kinds of rad to see Wario AND Waluigi as duo doing something.

I have said it many times before, but why hasn't there been a M&L game that played with the idea of having Wario and Waluigi as the games main feature? We have had younger versions of the Mario brothers, Bowser and Paper Mario as tag alongs, so why not the other notable brother duo in the Mario series?

D

Deleted member

Bring back Wario Land full force with Waluigi as a secondary playable character

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
You know, how many of you guys are nostalgic when it comes to Geno? Just a bit curious.
A bit late, but I have zero nostalgia for Geno. I played the game for the first time last year and sort of became obcessed. My fiancee and I always say it's the first RPG we'll start our future kids on. I almost feel kinda pathetic next to people who have been supporting Geno for so long, but I really want to see him in.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Hey everyone, check out what I found! It's fan made sprite animations for Wario in SMRPG
AAAAA THIS IS SO PERFECT. It's so true to the game's original aesthetic... I could honestly believe you if you told me this was pulled from a parallel dimension where Wario was a party member in SMRPG.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
A bit late, but I have zero nostalgia for Geno. I played the game for the first time last year and sort of became obcessed. My fiancee and I always say it's the first RPG we'll start our future kids on. I almost feel kinda pathetic next to people who have been supporting Geno for so long, but I really want to see him in.
Hey, you aren't the only super recent Geno fan, too. I'm with ya on that. I played SMRPG in my teenage years and loved it, but for the longest, I'd actually hated Geno. That was until I started thinking of possible lore for him... and what his backstory was... and how much of a dork he could potentially be... and Loopy's color keys... and... ohhh...

Longevity doesn't matter, though. It really doesn't. If you love the character and the game, that's all that matters! (Just don't adopt him I have already called dibs on my star son :mad088:)

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I can relate. I haven't even beaten the game yet. Most I knew about it in my younger years was the Forest Maze music videos and Chuggaaconroy's lets play of the game. But even then, Geno is the first character I voiced my support for and where I have posted the most. I just really like his character and arsenal.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Why would they even go through the hoops to get a Mii outfit for Sora, though? NoA is very aware of Geno's popularity. I can only really think of it being him or maybe Sephiroth. It makes sense only for it to be a character that they'd have to go through Squeenix for, whereas Sora would also be Disney.
That's why it would be so salt-inducing; they would be negotiating with a whole new company just to disconfirm a character.

ZelDan

Smash Master
When it comes to the "salt inducing character", I wonder if it won't just be a matter of WHO gets Mii costumed, but HOW.

Like, maybe at some point during a direct, Sakurai will be like"but wait, before we continue, I do have a suprise for you!" which then leads to blank screen, Kingdom hearts music starts to play, building up excitement from Kingdom Hearts fans...

...and then a Sora Mii Costume pops up on screen.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I can relate. I haven't even beaten the game yet. Most I knew about it in my younger years was the Forest Maze music videos and Chuggaaconroy's lets play of the game. But even then, Geno is the first character I voiced my support for and where I have posted the most. I just really like his character and arsenal.
His arsenal has so much potential beyond just what's shown in the game, and what we already have is cool as is. All of the crazy stuff he could do with the right tweaks to his internals would be insane. I can't even begin to describe how many ideas I've had for him.

In terms of his character, too, well... yeah, there's not much. He's Mr. '20 Lines of Dialogue', the exposition character, but there's more to him than that. It's the little things that they didn't expand on. It's the potential that was woefully squandered. Here are some qualities we can pick up from what Geno presents in the game:

1) He's very brave, but not infallible. My guess is it stems from feeling like he alone is the one who can fix Star Road. Only he can do this. (In his official trading card, that's even a quote of his: "Star light, star bright, it's my job to set things right.") Despite being brazen and charging headlong into solo battle for his life's purpose, however, he clearly cowers when Bowyer is about to finish him off. Let me repeat that again: Geno, the courageous star warrior who 'serves a higher authority' and looks cool as can be, cowers and fears for his life. If Mario hadn't jumped in (literally), Geno likely would have been killed. It's surprisingly humanizing. He isn't all-powerful and god-like, despite his god-like role in the wishes pipeline.

2) His Belome clone's Psychopath is something to take note of. It is a one-track mind, thinking only of star pieces, the star pieces. This is supported by his somber demeanor over the Star Road being shattered, namely when talking to Gaz. He's absolutely married to his duty, come hell or high water. The only time we see him genuinely angry (I mean, huffy, puffy, shaking up and down like a ticked-off child) is when Mario attempts to leave Star Hill without the star piece. There is also his worry that they'll be seen as kidnappers if they don't bring Peach back to her castle, the whole, "Enough already!" moment, but I view that more as concern and annoyance making a heck of a cocktail.

3) Despite this... he seems very reluctant to get the final star piece. This is huge for a character so stuck to his duty. He wants nothing more than to restore the ability to grant wishes. He's laser-focused on it... yet at the end of the game, he's sullen, downtrodden about the fact that their journey is about to end. One would think that Geno, if he only cares for his work, would acknowledge his friends' help with gratitude, sure, but he'd become ecstatic about getting that last piece. He wouldn't be so low about it, right? It's extremely subtle... but it's character development. He goes from having his mind set on one thing to realizing that he doesn't want to leave his new friends. It's a work life vs. social life kind of thing that intrigues me, and it's one of the qualities that really drew me to his character. This could lead to so much, perhaps even Geno getting into scuffles with his superior(s) due to being unable to see his friends again. One of Star Road's most loyal and powerful sentries, so much so that he alone is sent to repair Star Road... defying his higher authority/ies? Seeking to grant everyone's wishes while also granting one of his own? That kind of conflict would be incredible to see develop.

4) Ow, uh, so here's a more lighthearted bit! Geno is notably good with children. Chances are, he's probably got experience with granting the wishes of little kids. He treats Gaz insanely well, almost effortlessly, almost like he's familiar with something more paternal or maternal... or like he's just aware of the psyche of a child. Besides, if Geno's always so busy granting wishes, has he ever set time aside to develop himself? Star spirits ascend from Starborn Valley (presumably where Geno was born, given Paper Mario's lore) while they're still pretty young and innocent. Perhaps he ascended at a tender age, maybe even earlier than most, and never really got a chance to grow up at his own pace? Maybe it's nothing that deep and the answer lies in Occam's Razor. Whatever the case, this coupled with his reluctance to leave his buddies makes me think that Geno has more to him than being serious and no-nonsense. Well, these... and one more thing...

5) "Hey, chill out!" and "Yo, Smithy!" may not seem like much at first glance, but it actually has some weight to me. Would a super serious protagonist use that kind of language? He douses out that 90's slang like it ain't no thang, particularly rather childish vernacular. He also has a hearty laugh at Mario's and Mallow's expenses when they first meet, something else that might be seen as a bit immature (given they're stupefied at seeing the doll 'come to life'). He may be wise and otherworldly, but I believe there is something else beyond that mystique he's got. It's almost as if his work has instilled a strong mask of professionalism, one that hides a more child-like star spirit beneath. Needless to say, if such is the case, he hides it well, but not perfectly.

6) We can also see that he dishing out tiny quips is not above him. He'd done so over Dyna and the star piece in Moleville's mines ("... Well, I guess that answers that question.") and towards Bowser. He also shows himself to be quite clever and astute, speaking of that Bowser and Geno exchange. Geno's able to gather what's going on with Exor as a portal to Smithy's dimension pretty quickly, and he lays down that (DeVito voice) KNAWLIDGE toot-sweet. Bowser is roped back into being an ally the whole way through instead of up and ditching everyone. Geno did that! Wowsers!

7) He has this innate ability that is stronger than any of his others: he's so stinking adorable without even trying to be. Look at what he does when he first possesses the doll. He does a little jump for joy! Then he proceeds to stumble and run right into a wall before doing his arm-fold pose like the dork he is. His titular line — "I serve... a higher authority..." — always came off to me as trying really hard to be serious and intimidating to Bowyer, especially since he legitimately spouts, "Chill out!" right after. That's a bit of a stark contrast. It's cute. He's a tiny star in a tiny doll, and that, too, is a doubly whammy of tiny cuteness. The little face he makes when he turns the doll into a cannon and fires his spirit into enemies with Geno Flash? CUTE. Having him dance on the chandelier on the way up to the top of Bowser's Keep? Cute, cute, cute, CUTE.

As you can see, I think a lot about this boy. I think my vision of Geno has way more character than Squaresoft initially gave him. H- haha... Need to get my fan comic idea off the ground someday...

ETA: Now that I posted this, holy **** guys you should have told me to shut up sooner, here I am going on about Geno's 'little things' and the 'little things' turns into a massive wall. Lemme put that under a spoiler tag real quick...

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
5) "Hey, chill out!" and "Yo, Smithy!" may not seem like much at first glance, but it actually has some weight to me. Would a super serious protagonist use that kind of language? He douses out that 90's slang like it ain't no thang, particularly rather childish vernacular. He also has a hearty laugh at Mario's and Mallow's expenses when they first meet, something else that might be seen as a bit immature (given they're stupefied at seeing the doll 'come to life'). He may be wise and otherworldly, but I believe there is something else beyond that mystique he's got. It's almost as if his work has instilled a strong mask of professionalism, one that hides a more child-like star spirit beneath. Needless to say, if such is the case, he hides it well, but not perfectly.
Can we talk about this real quick? Can we talk about the balls, the kahones, the GONADS on this wooden lad?!

Smithy had made all these losers that we had to fight and that we sometimes even struggled with, right? He is the final boss, the last struggle, the most difficult non-optional fight, right? He is evil and is bent on conquering Mario's universe and turning it into one giant weapons depot and he's got the power to do it, right?

Who in the all mother of ****s just walks up to this man and is like "Yo!"?

Our boy Geno, that's who. THE CONFIDENCE IN THIS LAD!

If I had even an ounce of that confidence, I'd have my life together by now!

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
When it comes to the "salt inducing character", I wonder if it won't just be a matter of WHO gets Mii costumed, but HOW.

Like, maybe at some point during a direct, Sakurai will be like"but wait, before we continue, I do have a suprise for you!" which then leads to blank screen, Kingdom hearts music starts to play, building up excitement from Kingdom Hearts fans...

If that happens... Nintendo needs to board up the office. That would be the worst thing ever. Like, whoever make a decision like that should never direct announcement.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Sakurai is ruthless, he's gonna put whatever Mii costume it is in the showcase reel right next to the others like it's nothing. At most you'll get a strangely long blink out of him. And then he's gonna move immediately past that onto spending five minutes talking about Home-Run Contest.

osby

Smash Obsessed
EDIT: Nevermind, I don't want to deal with this.

Last edited:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Because Waluigi and Wario aren't brothers? And they didn't appear together in any game that Wario starred.
I strongly prefer my headcanon
MarioFamilyTree.png

StormC

Smash Hero

"It was very difficult to reach out to Disney to make this happen, but we thought we might try to make the impossible possible."

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I audibly gasped when I saw where Ashley was on that image. Mind blown.
After the events of Super Mario RPG, Valentina took Booster for everything he was worth and left him an insolvent shell of a man. Bankrupt and left to raise their daughter on his own, Booster tried his best but found solace in a bottle. Realising he was incapable of giving Ashley the life she deserved, he begged his cousin Wario to set her up in Diamond City. He was not interested until he learned she was magic (inherited from her mother) and immediately capitalized on this by making her an employee of WarioWare.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
People on GameFAQS just spotted a 30 second Hero trailer. We're probably getting him very soon.

https://youtu.be/j_kGPn7sEug

EDIT: Also a Banjo one. Not sure what to think now.

https://youtu.be/V3RlmAg72_Q
I think they're just updating the site from the E3 coverage. The Fighter's Pass page on the website hadn't included Hero or Banjo Kazooie as the next Challenger Packs for a while now, so that has been in need of an update for some time. I guess it could mean Hero is coming soon... but it'll be next week at the earliest since Nintendo doesn't really do stuff on the weekends and likes to kind of shoot for the middle of weeks. And even then, I tend to agree with people who have noted that if Hero was releasing so early in July, they would have just said July in the Direct, but Summer has always implied later than expected to me. Late July - Early August makes the most sense to me, though I do really want to play Hero and enjoy DQ in Smash.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Talk behind the scenes right now is that the second Mii costume pack is going to be really salt inducing and I think I know why. Remember that list of seven accidentally leaked last year? My theory is that all of those characters are technically going to be playable. We already have Luminary, Erdrick, and Slime and Geno's a simple port so the costume returning is really high anyways meaning I theorize that Crono and Sora are both going to wind up as new Mii costumes. Not sure if this is definite because people are being super vague about it but someone even commented that the reveal video was probably going to be bombed with dislikes. I honestly can't think of anything else that would trigger that negative of a reaction.
Bringing this back up since the salt induced Mii costume talk came up. Nothing has been set in stone, just our guys theory on the matter.

Did we ever hear anything about The 1st Mii costume pack before it was revealed? If not, then we may not know for sure what the 2nd will hold.

Sora would be the saltiest Mii Costume, but would Nintendo go to Disney JUST for a Mii Costume?

Watch it be something completely out of left field. One thing I could think of is all of Namco's Mii Costumes came back along side the Dragon Quest Costumes. It would make no sense, but would cause some salt.

EDIT: GenoFlash GenoFlash this is from Popeye and some talks in the dark. Speculation? Maybe. Rumors? More than likely.

Last edited:

Nicnac

Smash Ace
If we're talking about the Seven Squares, let's look at all seven here:

Erdrick: Irrelevant, he's in.

Luminary: Irrelevant, he's in.

Slime: Doubt much salt would arise, it's basically just a DQ Chocobo costume.

Geno: Definitely a little salt from his fans, but it's a port, so it's not a new letdown, and his fans (read: us) are used to this kind of thing (Brawl, 4, Ultimate Geno leak, Grinch leak).

Sephiroth: Some salt since Sep is a truly iconic villain, but I don't think too much would arise. I also doubt that the FF fanbases would get riled up over this as much since Cloud is in.

Crono: I honestly think Crono fans would be happy to get anything. Obviously people would be angry that such an iconic RPG didn't get a fighter, but if we're looking at it objectively Crono was the least likely of the Seven, and I think his fanbase knew that.

Sora: Nukes dropped. Flame wars. Threats on par with Waluigi. A Sora Mii Costume would be an absolute kick in the balls to his sizable fanbase. Nintendo went through talks with Disney and Squenix and they just got a Mii Costume for Sora?!? It would definitely be the worst.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
It would annoy me to see Sora mii costume because then that means he has a chance down the road...

D

Deleted member

I do hope that we mostly get DQ costumes over general Square costumes not only for personal wants on that regard (such as Yangus or Dragonlord) but also for Geno if the costume doesn’t return.

At most maybe the comeback of the Chocobo costume, but outside of that I hope to see a lot of love for DQ Mii costumes such as Persona did.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I do hope that we mostly get DQ costumes over general Square costumes not only for personal wants on that regard (such as Yangus or Dragonlord) but also for Geno if the costume doesn’t return.

At most maybe the comeback of the Chocobo costume, but outside of that I hope to see a lot of love for DQ Mii costumes such as Persona did.
Same. I thought the bandage had been ripped off with Hero's reveal, but for now, Geno has a second wind. The Mii costume will tell us what to think at this point. If it doesn't return, my hopes are going to return, but if not, then that's going to be puh-retty painful.

Fatmanonice Fatmanonice Did you hear from Sabi's (former, in regards to Nintendo content) source or anything about the Mii costume possibly coming back? If people are catching wind about the costume lineup, surely they might have an idea about who is going to be released. If we get a pack of six like with Joker, Geno has six chances in that whole pack to be a costume again, and given it's a ported one, it sounds very likely.

Personally, I'm not getting my hopes up, but I do think Geno will come back one way or another, Ultimate or not. We've just got to keep vocal and be patient. Let's not lose our cool if the costume comes back, aye?

Last edited:

Nicnac

Smash Ace
Personally, I'm not getting my hopes up, but I do think Geno will come back one way or another, Ultimate or not. We've just got to keep vocal and be patient. Let's not lose our cool if the costume comes back, aye?
The costume's an ez money port. If it's in it isn't the end, and if it isn't that's a massive red flag for us.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
The costume's an ez money port. If it's in it isn't the end, and if it isn't that's a massive red flag for us.
That's true and all, but it would make me concerned that Nintendo thinks the spirit + return of the costume is fine enough consolation, meaning Geno wouldn't have a chance even outside of the Fighter's Pass. That's why I recommend to keep vocal with our support. Let them know that we want Geno to come home, not for some Mii-faced bootleg to come in so we can play pretend.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

I expect it might lean a bit into Dragon Quest, but that we’ll get a couple more costumes from Square in general. Joker only came with 6 costumes, and it didn’t seem like the most effort was going into them to begin with (I mean just a Teddie and Morganna hat, not full costumes).

I think we’ll get a Slime hat, a Dragon Quest 1 related costume (if not full armor, just the helmet, it is iconic in its own right), and a side character’s costume (I don’t know who, but it’d make sense to see some other faces) or two.

Then, I suspect we’ll see Final Fantasy content. Probably the Chocobo hat coming back and I would suspect that either Barret or Tifa will get a Mii costume this time around.

And unfortunately, I do think the Geno Mii costume is the likely final piece of the costume set. I think the real question will be if Sakurai will address it or not. If we get another presentation like Joker, then that means we’ll likely just get a super generic Smash X Super Mario RPG with no additional fanfare.

Geno is probably the worst they’ll go though. All the other salt inducers include bringing in further outside series, which I don’t expect, or are just a little bit too big for me to expect them to show up since they really didn’t seem to go too far with the Mii costumes last time.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
And unfortunately, I do think the Geno Mii costume is the likely final piece of the costume set. I think the real question will be if Sakurai will address it or not. If we get another presentation like Joker, then that means we’ll likely just get a super generic Smash X Super Mario RPG with no additional fanfare.
Pretty much, and that blows, given the fact that he got huge fanfare in Sm4sh. It makes him feel like such an afterthought, whether or not that's actually the case. It's... really sad, especially when you see just how much love went into DQ. It's a ridiculous amount of content in one character, practically like four characters in one with all of those specials and such. I'm fine with Hero being in and I'm happy for DQ's fans, don't get me wrong, but... I can't help but be really sad and envious when we can't even get the tiniest slice of that pie.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
I wasn't into Smash Speculation in the twilight years of 4, so can anyone tell me if Banjo-Kazooie's fanbase was thriving then? If that's when Sakurai began to put together his plans for Ultimate, he would have seen the Geno Gang, considering his Mii Costume alone got special fanfare. And like B-K, Geno's support has been fairly unwavering.

Also, I may be wrong, but wasn't it around the time of the Grinch Leak where BK's popularity exploded? And if Sakurai cites BK coming after Ridley and K. Rool, surely he'd have seen Geno's support too? I also don't think Sakurai is a man who holds himself with many rules, seeing as he always breaks them. Honestly, since the Mii Costume is a port that probably sold quite well, I don't think its inclusion would be the death knell. Add to that the talk about Geno in the Nintendo offices and PolarPanda (F) having a source in NoA that was told a little about Geno, I think Geno's chances are a little higher than they seem.

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
If we do in fact get a Geno Mii costume then I'm gonna hang up my Geno coat. Could Geno still be in? Sure, but his inclusion as a Mii costume shows that he just wasn't considered for the roster at that time, almost like a direct deconfirmation. And I imagine that many of you feel that way deep down too.

Sorry to be so negative but those are my opinions on the matter.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I wasn't into Smash Speculation in the twilight years of 4, so can anyone tell me if Banjo-Kazooie's fanbase was thriving then? If that's when Sakurai began to put together his plans for Ultimate, he would have seen the Geno Gang, considering his Mii Costume alone got special fanfare. And like B-K, Geno's support has been fairly unwavering.

Also, I may be wrong, but wasn't it around the time of the Grinch Leak where BK's popularity exploded? And if Sakurai cites BK coming after Ridley and K. Rool, surely he'd have seen Geno's support too? I also don't think Sakurai is a man who holds himself with many rules, seeing as he always breaks them. Honestly, since the Mii Costume is a port that probably sold quite well, I don't think its inclusion would be the death knell. Add to that the talk about Geno in the Nintendo offices and PolarPanda (F) having a source in NoA that was told a little about Geno, I think Geno's chances are a little higher than they seem.
I wish I could be that optimistic about his Ultimate inclusion, alas. I hope you're right, though.

With that said, B-K's support has always been very consistently loud. Geno lost some wind during 4, mainly because of how unlikely he seemed. It only really picked up with the ballot.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
If we do in fact get a Geno Mii costume then I'm gonna hang up my Geno coat. Could Geno still be in? Sure, but his inclusion as a Mii costume shows that he just wasn't considered for the roster at that time, almost like a direct deconfirmation. And I imagine that many of you feel that way deep down too.

Sorry to be so negative but those are my opinions on the matter.
I agree with this. A Mii costume for a character that's not already in is a death knell for a character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom