• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
I honestly can’t think of a single dud boss in SMRPG. Every single boss left an impression on me in some form and I still remember the entire boss list 15-20 years later.

if I had to choose a favourite though...I would go with Valentina and Dodo. The story leading up to the battle was so good and enraging, that by the time you reached them you really wanted to mess them up!

MarioTime

Smash Apprentice
How you like it? It's fantastic isn't it? First time I played it was back in 2010 on the Wii VC and I stop playing it around the caves area after you leave the Forest Maze and get Geno to join your party. I picked it up again in 2017 when I got a SNES Mini and I just finished SMRPG for the first time a couple of years ago back in 2017 before New Years ended. It was a wonderful experience for me.
I'm having lotsa fun. I'm having a good laugh with the humour too XD. Characters are great and It's also my first RPG game

Can someone plz tell me how to reply correctly I keep messing up

Last edited by a moderator:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
How you like it? It's fantastic isn't it? First time I played it was back in 2010 on the Wii VC and I stop playing it around the caves area after you leave the Forest Maze and get Geno to join your party. I picked it up again in 2017 when I got a SNES Mini and I just finished SMRPG for the first time a couple of years ago back in 2017 before New Years ended. It was a wonderful experience for me.

I'm having lotsa fun. I'm having a good laugh with the humour too XD. Characters are great and It's also my first RPG game
That isn't funny dude. I don't like being made fun of.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Seeing the Brawlhalla argument again because of Lara Croft and I would say... Yeah, it's significant. Smash debuts have always been established as a huge deal so if your first major fighting game crossover is during the active cycle of a Smash game, that's definitely a big OOF for that character's chances in my opinion. If Lara was coming to Smash, I seriously doubt Nintendo would okay her being shown in another game first, especially an indie game. Smash would definitely not play second banana in this situation. On the upside, it shows that Square is still definitely on board with more cross-overs, adding even more to the ridiculous huge pile that Square is super likely to have another character in Smash Ultimate Season 2.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Well, we have next week at the earliest, the week of the 12th at the latest I'm thinking. So, we'll have to just wait and see what happens.
Seeing the Brawlhalla argument again because of Lara Croft and I would say... Yeah, it's significant. Smash debuts have always been established as a huge deal so if your first major fighting game crossover is during the active cycle of a Smash game, that's definitely a big OOF for that character's chances in my opinion. If Lara was coming to Smash, I seriously doubt Nintendo would okay her being shown in another game first, especially an indie game. Smash would definitely not play second banana in this situation. On the upside, it shows that Square is still definitely on board with more cross-overs, adding even more to the ridiculous huge pile that Square is super likely to have another character in Smash Ultimate Season 2.
I think the same can be said about Soul Calibur 6's recent crossovers with 2B and Samurai Showdown also

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Bruh XD I'm talking about the game especially when Bowser and Booster kissed Mario lol
No you weren't, you edited my post and made a joke about how it was my first RPG game and I was laughing at every joke.

I don't think he's making fun of you. He's new and is figuring out how to properly quote.
If he wasn't making fun of me than why did he make a joke about how SMRPG was my first RPG game?

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Couldn't help it Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , I'm going stir crazy from Nintendo so I thought I would geno-fy your image. Don't have to use it.

The voices in my head aren't entertaining me enough until some kind of Nintendo Direct comes. Need to know Smash FP2. Need coffee. Wait, had coffee.

End Rant.

Go Geno.

Fatman.jpg

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'm really sorry I wasn't aware I was actually editing a post instead of replying. I'm still trying to figure out how writing here works ;v
Click reply on someone's post to respond back to them, put @ and someone's username together to summon them, and click quote if you want show a post in another thread for proof of something.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Either way, looks like March will be the place where the spring Direct will bloom since winter did start late. My guess

D

Deleted member

No you weren't, you edited my post and made a joke about how it was my first RPG game and I was laughing at every joke.

If he wasn't making fun of me than why did he make a joke about how SMRPG was my first RPG game?
bruh

at first I thought this was a joke of some sort but it's gone on for so long I have to assume there's no irony here.

He messed up a quote.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
bruh

at first I thought this was a joke of some sort but it's gone on for so long I have to assume there's no irony here.

He messed up a quote.
I think I'm starting to realize that now. I just don't like it when people try to make fun of me right in my face like they think I don't get that they're making fun of me. As someone who has Aspergers/Austim, I feel like when people try to be a **** to me like that they think I am stupid. I see through peoples' lies when they try to make fun of me.

Kewl0210

Smash Apprentice
I loved the Axem Rangers as a kid and didn't even make the comparison to the Power Rangers until I was a bit older. I was a little too young to care for Power Rangers when I first played SMRPG, so I guess it's normal to not notice the reference. I liked them for being a somewhat cohesive team, and since they stole the star right from under your nose they felt like a major threat.

The clock boss in Factory stands out to me, as well, because the mechanics of the fight are neat.

Also, because I can't say something without immediately wanting to look into it, I looked back at Mallowdemon and started comparing it to the real Yggdrasil's altar, and here's some stuff I've come up with that I don't believe has been mentioned:

For reference, here's a picture we've all seen an awful lot:
View attachment 263866

First thing I did was simply go to Smash's website and look at Yggdrasil's altar to see if there were any inconsistencies.

View attachment 263867

Obviously, the first thing I noticed is the bigass rainbow design in the middle there. I said to myself - well, if I remember right, it's lit the entire time you're flying - but I was wrong!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M4k5HOMf-U

The rainbow design cycles between "on" and "off" every 5 seconds. What's interesting is that it starts in the "on" state. Yggdrasil's altar spends approximately 4 seconds on the ground in this cycle:

1. Orbs take their places. - Symbol "on"
2. Orbs shine - Symbol "on"
3. Orbs return to normal color - Symbol "on"
4. Platform shines - Symbol fading
5. Altar leaves platform - Symbol off.

If you'll notice, at the beginning of a round, there is a flight of stairs that leads to the altar. It is very visible in the screenshot and seems to be in its default position - but the symbol is off. The gems aren't shining, so it can't be too close to the beginning of the match, and there's none of the rainbow lights effect visible that would normally be there just as the symbol enters the "off" state. With the angle of the Mallowdemon leak, at least some of that rainbow light effect should be visible, shouldn't it?

Just a thought. I wish I had my Switch with me and some free time to actually try a few camera angles. I know it's been confirmed you can't hit that camera angle, but something similar would do my mind some good.
I was looking at this stuff back a few months ago when this was new. But it does really line up to where stuff would be a few seconds into the match if you move the camera around. Here's a screenshot I made then skewed to match up with the off-screen leak screenshot.

This is a screenshot I made overlayed on the "leak" one in replay mode. It's not EXACTLY the same angle but it's close enough that it's feasible you could exactly imitate it.

Given how this was made a little after the mii costume list leak with Mallow on it and around when people were expecting Terry to come out and for a new character to be revealed, I'm thinking it's more likely it's fake. Like with the Artst Omni Rayman leak it's something someone spent a lot of effort making but only showed the mii costumes because they're simple enough to feasibly make with one person. Especially given the Doom director's recent comments.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Well, we have next week at the earliest, the week of the 12th at the latest I'm thinking. So, we'll have to just wait and see what happens.

I think the same can be said about Soul Calibur 6's recent crossovers with 2B and Samurai Showdown also
That too. I think people forget that 2B was added to Soul Calibur 6 in December 2018, coincidentally the same month that Nintendo probably started to seriously consider a Season 2 for Smash Ultimate and the Fighter's Pass was already out. Again, especially in the light of both games technically being Namco cross-overs, I don't think Nintendo would have been okay with 2B being in Soul Calibur first if there were playable plans for her in Smash. Nintendo doesn't do sloppy seconds. This is also why it's my personal theory that Nintendo's not going to greenlight characters that were in PlayStation All Stars and, knowing this, why certain companies and franchises stayed the hell away from it.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
View attachment 263864
every time a direct isn’t announced i start up a new file on smrpg. i’m starting to run out of files guys, nintendo better announce one soon.
How the hell do you have +100 save files?

I see what you mean, but I mostly disagree. While there certainly is novelty in bringing back a beloved and highly requested character with a bang, a la King K. Rool and Banjo, the appeal of a Smash reveal has very rarely if ever been about exclusivity, rather it's usually more about the novelty of having them there in the first place. Characters like Ryu, Snake, Cloud, and Terry have been in crossover games before they ever stepped foot in Smash, with Terry alone making at least a couple of crossover appearances every year. If they really cared about exclusivity then I doubt they'd have chosen them to begin with. I don't think Lara has much of a chance compared to Geno, but I wouldn't be so sure as to write her out completely.

Couldn't help it Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , I'm going stir crazy from Nintendo so I thought I would geno-fy your image. Don't have to use it.

The voices in my head aren't entertaining me enough until some kind of Nintendo Direct comes. Need to know Smash FP2. Need coffee. Wait, had coffee.

End Rant.

Go Geno.

View attachment 263879
Fatman's so crazy he ain't smoking tobacco or weed in that pipe, he's smoking Geno.
F

D

Deleted member

I think I'm starting to realize that now. I just don't like it when people try to make fun of me right in my face like they think I don't get that they're making fun of me. As someone who has Aspergers/Austim, I feel like when people try to be a **** to me like that they think I am stupid. I see through peoples' lies when they try to make fun of me.
Hey, I feel that, but I can almost promise you it was an honest mistake. He's botched quotes in the past and I believe he posts from mobile.

I was looking at this stuff back a few months ago when this was new. But it does really line up to where stuff would be a few seconds into the match if you move the camera around. Here's a screenshot I made then skewed to match up with the off-screen leak screenshot.

This is a screenshot I made overlayed on the "leak" one in replay mode. It's not EXACTLY the same angle but it's close enough that it's feasible you could exactly imitate it.

Given how this was made a little after the mii costume list leak and around when people were expecting Terry to come out and for a new character to be revealed, I'm thinking it's more likely it's fake. Especially given the Doom director's recent comments.
Just so I can be sure that I understand what I'm looking at here - you managed the same angle by having the two characters over to the left side of the stage? I'm assuming in the pause menu?

I might not be entirely right about this and I'm sure it changes on a per-stage basis, but the camera is able to achieve different angles based on where the characters are on the stage.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
That too. I think people forget that 2B was added to Soul Calibur 6 in December 2018, coincidentally the same month that Nintendo probably started to seriously consider a Season 2 for Smash Ultimate and the Fighter's Pass was already out. Again, especially in the light of both games technically being Namco cross-overs, I don't think Nintendo would have been okay with 2B being in Soul Calibur first if there were playable plans for her in Smash. Nintendo doesn't do sloppy seconds. This is also why it's my personal theory that Nintendo's not going to greenlight characters that were in PlayStation All Stars and, knowing this, why certain companies and franchises stayed the hell away from it.
Is this seriously the reason you think Nintendo wouldn't choose Heihachi over Lloyd? And you're saying this when Dante WAS in PSABR? (I know it was Donte but still). I actually agree with the Namco stuff, given that they may actually be able to know who's showing up, but saying that a character won't be chosen because they were in something else over 7 years ago is silly. Is Lloyd less likely because he was in Soul Calibur first? Was Terry less likely because he was in Fighting EX Layer?

Last edited:

Rangez

Dimensional Dile-Up
Eh... I really disagree. The idea that a character making a guest appearance in another fighting game will directly lower their chances of being in Smash sounds so dumb, especially considering as mentioned before, this is the same game that has Terry who was also a guest character in Fighting EX Layer (which by the way released back in 2017, long before Smash Ultimate was revealed).

Kewl0210

Smash Apprentice
Hey, I feel that, but I can almost promise you it was an honest mistake. He's botched quotes in the past and I believe he posts from mobile.

Just so I can be sure that I understand what I'm looking at here - you managed the same angle by having the two characters over to the left side of the stage? I'm assuming in the pause menu?

I might not be entirely right about this and I'm sure it changes on a per-stage basis, but the camera is able to achieve different angles based on where the characters are on the stage.
It's in replay mode. The original "leak" is in replay mode, too. You can tell by the fact that it says "Mii Brawler" which you can't write unless in replay mode where it defaults to the full name (Otherwise you can't have a name more than 10 letters long). You need to pause it right as the platform starts rising, then use replay mode's camera options to pan to the left, get the highest angle you can, and zoom in a bit. It's hard to line up 100% since I'm doing this on my Switch and taking screenshots and then comparing them after the fact. The placement of the characters doesn't matter.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Is this seriously the reason you think Nintendo wouldn't choose Heihachi over Lloyd? And you're saying this when Dante WAS in PSABR? (I know it was Donte but still). I actually agree with the Namco stuff but saying that a character won't be chosen because they were in something else is silly. Is Lloyd less likely because he was in Soul Calibur first?
There are more reasons to count out Heihachi besides him appearing in Playstation Allstars. Being a part of one of Pac-Man's taunts is another one.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Is this seriously the reason you think Nintendo wouldn't choose Heihachi over Lloyd? And you're saying this when Dante WAS in PSABR? (I know it was Donte but still). I actually agree with the Namco stuff but saying that a character won't be chosen because they were in something else is silly. Is Lloyd less likely because he was in Soul Calibur first?
Well to be fair, Link was in Soul Calibur 2. Do you see him in Smash?
Checkmate, atheists!

There are more reasons to count out Heihachi besides him appearing in Playstation Allstars. Being a part of one of Pac-Man's taunts is another one.
Being a cameo in someone's taunt is on par with them being a Spirit, and neither means they'll never make it in.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
This is the game where Chrom is still part of Robin's final smash despite actually being a playable character. By that logic Spirits can't get upgraded at all, so I guess Geno isn't getting in.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Reminds me of K Rool's situation. I believe that Retro couldn't use K Rool in Tropical Freeze because Sakurai called dibs on him first for Smash. I apologize if this is wrong.

Actually, I wonder if video games licensing are similar to TV and movies. How many times have we seen how character X could not be in their source creator's work because they were currently being licensed out to another company? I think DC did this alot with Batman characters in various cartoons where a known character is missing at the time because another show has them first. So, could 3rd party characters in Smash also fall into this? For example, if Square worked a deal with Namco to have Cloud in a Soul Caliber game at the same time where Sakurai would be requesting Cloud for Smash 4's DLC, would Sakurai's request be declined and Cloud couldn't be added?

I don't think a small sprite is gonna keep Heihachi out, especially since that was well before extra DLC was decided. Hell, Duck Hunt Dog can already appear alongside an 8-bit version of himself (in the Duck Hunt stage).

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord

Given how this was made a little after the mii costume list leak with Mallow on it and around when people were expecting Terry to come out and for a new character to be revealed, I'm thinking it's more likely it's fake. Like with the Artst Omni Rayman leak it's something someone spent a lot of effort making but only showed the mii costumes because they're simple enough to feasibly make with one person. Especially given the Doom director's recent comments.
Oh boy, here I go again in this ENDLESS CYCLE OF A CIRCLE OF SAYING THE SAME THINGS OVER AND OVER!

1. Just because you can get CLOSE to making that angle doesn't mean you can GET that angle. It's already been proven that this EXACT angle with this EXACT spot at this EXACT time is unable to be copied by someone without dev tools because back in November everyone and their mother tried and could not 1-to-1 copy it. When you add in other stuff like the timer that is clearly from a dev kit and how better persons with more knowledge and talent in the modding community couldn't even come close to truly copying either the Caco Helmet or Mallow Hat, you have yourself a recipe for a probable leak.

2. Need I stress that this has been around since November and all of this has been done before and yet, no one could prove anything and no one came out to prove they faked it?

3. For the billionth time, Marty Stratton saying that there have been no serious talks about Doom Guy being playable in Smash is not the same thing as saying "Nintendo has never talked to us about any content in Smash at all, ever never!" and considering it's already been stated that they HAVE talked to the Smash team in some regard AND Cacodemon could come with another Bethesda character OR just come on it's own considering how we have no playable Ubisoft character yet we have Altair and the Rabbids as costumes...hate to say it bud, but that interview isn't even a blip on the radar against this leak.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Being a cameo in someone's taunt is on par with them being a Spirit, and neither means they'll never make it in.
This is the game where Chrom is still part of Robin's final smash despite actually being a playable character. By that logic Spirits can't get upgraded at all, so I guess Geno isn't getting in.
I don't think a small sprite is gonna keep Heihachi out, especially since that was well before extra DLC would be decided. Hell, Duck Hunt Dog can already appear alongside an 8-bit version of himself (in the Duck Hunt stage).
I'm not saying it deconfirms him, I'm just saying it's a notable point against him if any.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I completely agree with this. BUT I also see Dante as sloppy seconds. MvC3 has his ultimate incarnation Imo and seeing him join something else really wouldn't be "new footing". This is why I don't see Heihachi making it either. Sloppy seconds is the perfect way to explain it, but then again you never know.

Maybe I just personally HATE seeing a character join crossover after crossover after crossover.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Maybe I didn't frame my analysis properly - I'm looking at the stage this closely rather than the costumes because of Sakurai's B4ttlefield, because I wanted to see if just maybe there are developer inconsistencies.

What I'm pointing out, which I would love to debate, is the fact that in the leak, compared to the actual Yggdrasil's Altar, there seems to be a nearly 1 second inconsistency in the color of the rainbow symbol in the middle of the altar. This may even factor into the suggestion from mid-November that the "whale" is missing from portions of the video where the "whale" should be - perhaps he is not missing as much as he is displaced by several frames.
Oh, okay. That's really interesting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom