• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I don't know if anyone mentioned this yet...

Fatmanonice Fatmanonice you said something about Square never licensing out a DQ character, right? Apparently, that's going to change with Jump Force:

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2019/01/19/jump-force-jotaro-dai-roster-ps4-xbox-pc/
You know Square doesn't actually own Dai at all, right?
This. Dragon Quest has had a manga since the 80's and both it and the games belong to Bird Studio, the people behind Dragon Ball and Dr. Slump. That's also how they were able to release the special limited edition Japanese exclusive Shonen Jump NES Classic last year too with Dragon Quest on it.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I had a rather pessimistic day yesterday, pretty much rock bottom, but after hitting rock bottom, where else can you go but up?

I want to go back into detail on the things that may or may not be in Geno's favor, not just for Smash, but for a revival alongside Mallow in the future. Don't forget, Operation Starfall is getting further solidified by the day, and we're beginning to build even more structure to the plans. We're not giving up, and even if Geno never happens in Smash, there's a lot of hope for him and Mallow in the future yet.

To try to bring hopes up, let's re-examine the things that Geno has (potentially) going for him:

1) Nintendo and Square are both perfectly aware of how much we want him to return. Nintendo of America, at the very least, has been acknowledging him and Mallow increasingly often lately after decades of little to no acknowledgment. Nintendo of Japan allowed Sakurai to negotiate with Square for the spirits and the Mii costume, plus they've got access to the ballot results, in which we know by Sakurai's words that he placed at least relatively high. Square is rumored as using Geno for leak bait (although the grounds for that are shaky). The fact that Sakurai has negotiated with them for Geno and now Mallow (with the spirit) and the idea that Square could use Geno as a distraction shows that they are at least tangentially aware of how popular he is.

2) Of all of the SE materials in the base game, apart from the necessary Cloud for 'everyone is here', the only other SE properties we have are Geno's and Mallow's spirits. The fact that they, even in all of their purported 'stinginess', allowed those two to have great spirits with involvement in WoL is incredible. While the Mii costume for Geno isn't in the base, he's only one of many third party outfits removed, possibly for future DLC, so that isn't a Square-exclusive decision there, likely a decision from NoJ and involved parties.

3) Even if we get Geno's Mii outfit to return, we don't know if that will be a deconfirmation or not unless outright stated by Sakurai. As stated before, new Mii outfits are being considered consolation prizes, as they're being made solely for that reason. Ported Mii costumes don't count towards that as evident by K. Rool's, Isabelle's, and Chrom's returning, despite those three being upgraded to playable. The fact that his is DLC puts a different perspective on things, and while that can mean it is a deconfirmation, it could also very well not be. It's a ported costume and a quick, easy cash grab, and we know Nintendo and Square love their money. It makes sense for Square to milk Geno for all he's worth, even if he ends up playable down the line.

4) Sakurai has wanted Geno in since Brawl. The man himself wants him playable. He didn't have the time and ability to do so for Smash 4, so he made him a Mii costume as consolation. However, Sakurai has gone on record to say that they have a surplus of time and money for this Smash DLC cycle, as well as to say that he wants to put as much into Ultimate as he can. He has the time and ability, more than likely, but it's up to NoJ and Square to ultimately allow it.

5) Of all Square properties, Geno is perhaps one of the easiest to negotiate for, given Yoko Shimomura is already on the Smash team, Square is the only one Nintendo and Sakurai have to go through, and Geno is a 3rd party character for a 1st party series. On top of that, Geno is from Nintendo's flagship franchise, the Mario series, making him that much more marketable, even in his obscurity.

6) What we've heard from insiders on Geno involves a lot of shakiness and hesitance. Vergeben's source was very hesitant to outright say that Geno wasn't this Square rep that's been rumored, whereas he was quick to confirm that Sora was 'definitely not in' as a whole. On top of that, Polar's NoA source, a very reputable source of information, was told by higher-ups, his own supervisors that Geno may possibly be DLC. There may be things that sources deeper in Nintendo and Square know that they just can't divulge, or else it'd absolutely pinpoint certain people that could lose their jobs. However, this is purely speculation.

7) Given the rumor that Erdrick was planned for base game, as Fatman has relayed to us from insider discussion, it seems like Erdrick has no bearing on whether or not Square will get any other reps in Ultimate. As Sakurai has gone on record to state, no one was added or removed from the project plan. It would make sense for Erdrick to be planned for base with another rep, possibly Geno, to be saved for DLC, but things were shifted around to make Erdrick and another rep DLC.

8) Square loves money. They love, love money. The 'no two reps from one company' thing is a fan rule, and Ultimate has broken a lot of fan rules and will likely continue to do so. If Nintendo and Sakurai want something and can negotiate for it, they'll get it, and they've already said that no one has said 'no' to any of their requests so far. If anything, I can see Square taking advantage of Smash's DLC cycle to make as much money as possible now that Cloud is in the base game. Multiple reps is not out of the question for them. Is it unlikely? Yeah, but not impossible by any means.

9) Finally, if no one said 'no' to any of Nintendo's requests for characters, yet they clearly had some kind of negotiations for Geno, what if they did ask for Geno to become playable as DLC? If that lines up with what's been said, then that means that Square is willing to allow it. However, this can be very nuanced and Nintendo may not have requested that much, so that's a massive grain of salt thing.

10) Jon Cartwright and Tansut have both made predictions on Geno having more of a future in Ultimate. This one is to be taken with a massive wheelbarrow of salt (especially with Jon's odd certainty on that clearly fake 5chan leak with far too much depth to be real), but given they have insider sources in Nintendo and Square respectively, it wouldn't be farfetched to think that they might know something we don't.

11) Nintendo and Square are no stranger to crossovers. It's very possible they could do another sports crossover again, and who's to say they wouldn't bring Geno and Mallow back through those, now that they're aware that they're beloved characters? Their other crossovers took place before they got this wake-up call. We don't know yet what the future holds for those.

Treat this realistically and don't put your heads in the clouds. I'm feelin' pretty low about things still, but hopefully, just hopefully, this will perk some of us up and allow us to have a little bit of hope again.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Those are good points, but I'll simply wait and see what happens.

Oval, I think it's best for you to take a break from the forum until the next announcement happens. Hell, just about everyone's exhausted from arguments, and we haven't even got past the first character.

Lightspeed97

Smash Cadet
This. Dragon Quest has had a manga since the 80's and both it and the games belong to Bird Studio, the people behind Dragon Ball and Dr. Slump. That's also how they were able to release the special limited edition Japanese exclusive Shonen Jump NES Classic last year too with Dragon Quest on it.
I see, good to know!

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I hope after the Grinch leak people have learned to take unofficial sources with a grain of salt. All this mumbo-jumbo about Erdrick when in reality he might have absolutely nothing to do with Smash Bros. and everyone is talking about him like its not even a question that he's getting in. The remaining four DLC can potentially be any video game character in existence, and speculation wise I feel like Erdrick is just the next Shadow lol.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I hope after the Grinch leak people have learned to take unofficial sources with a grain of salt. All this mumbo-jumbo about Erdrick when in reality he might have absolutely nothing to do with Smash Bros. and everyone is talking about him like its not even a question that he's getting in. The remaining four DLC can potentially be any video game character in existence, and speculation wise I feel like Erdrick is just the next Shadow lol.
Man, as much as I wish Brave was Geno and not Erdrick, I selflessly hope that isn't the case. I was one of the people who thought Shadow was a lock, and I was insanely excited over the idea of playing as him. I'm probably the biggest Shadow fan I know, loving him from all the way back in Sonic Adventure 2 (and shuddering to know how SEGA ruined his character after the fact). Seeing him as only an AT absolutely crushed me, especially after the Knuckles AT reveal and his being MIA for so long.

That pain of thinking your favorite is in, only to see that it was all a fantasy, is something I wish on no one.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
This. Again, it's possible that it's neither him nor Geno. For all we know the SE character isn't even in this batch at all and people have gotten themselves worked up over Vegetable's claims and simple text. I'm sick and tired of all this gullibility.

Also, this is the current situation in a nutshell.

Patrick: Geno fans.
Wanted poster: Erdrick.
Policemen: Geno haters.

Not making fun of you guys or anything, but I wish this analogy didn't ring so true.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Nah, this only happens with fan remakes. SE would be likelier to take it down themselves first anyways.

And as far as I know nothing has been done for previous fan-made renders, even sassy Geno.
They would if...people would confuse it for the actual product. If you get where I am going at. ;)

-Coco-

Smash Ace
Right, I read some of the article, what I'm saying is people are using the statement I selected from that article to say that the whole 'Erdrick has Square, Armor Project, Bird Studios, the defunct company, and Sugiyama' is no longer true and that it's just Square and Sugiyama because Toriyama isn't an issue and the defunct company doesn't matter apparently.

I could probably easily research a way to counter this, but since PapaGenos's leak speculation section of Discord is a dumpster fire and I got banned for doing nothing but pointing out why in all honesty Erdrick has no more going for him than any other character on the grand scheme of things, I lack the motivation.

Also yes, I didn't tag Papa because I'm tired of tagging him here complaining about his Discord. It's not his fault and I don't want him to constantly feel bad. Also also, if anyone was starting to wonder if I might be the problem there, just keep in mind that while I've decided that @Datboigeno has the best idea of how to deal with these idiots who think Erdrick is actually already in the game and ignore counterpoints while spamming emotes of him, I've also peacefully debated people who think it's Erdrick but admit they have no idea for sure.

God, I'm just so f***ing sick of these goddamn Erdrick-d***-riding, mouth-breathing, weak-debating, self-absorbed, c**-guzzling wastes of flesh.

Phew...that feels better.
But they're right... Only SE, Sugiyama, Armor Project and Toriyama matter.

SE is credited on the box.

Attachments

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
But they're right... Only SE, Sugiyama, Armor Project and Toriyama matter.

SE is credited on the box.
No no, they were arguing that only SE and Sugiyama matter, that Armor Project and Bird Studios don't have to agree and that SE speaks for them, essentially.

Also, interesting that my research was correct in that the Adventure of Dai was *influenced* by DQ and not actually a DQ story.

D

Deleted member

Also, interesting that my research was correct in that the Adventure of Dai was *influenced* by DQ and not actually a DQ story.
Sort of? But I don't think that's the best way to describe it. It still uses the Dragon Quest names and has clear elements of it, as well as the anime adaptation using its music, but it's still its own thing that doesn't that doesn't adapt any specific game in the series. But regardless, I doubt Dai being in JF has any impact on Smash.

Last edited by a moderator:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Sort of? But I don't think that's the best way to describe it. It still uses the Dragon Quest names and has clear elements of it, as well as the anime adaptation using its music, but it's still its own thing that doesn't that doesn't adapt any specific game in the series. But regardless, I doubt Dai being in JF has any impact on Smash.
Furthermore, the art style isn't entirely 1:1 Toriyama, as the humans have a few stylistic differences (particularly the eyes).

But yeah I agree. This seems more like a coincidence.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Wow first the Isaac one, now Geno. I'm glad people are making this kinda of stuff, hopefully it reaches Nintendo's attention, hopefully they stop being stubborn and add the damn characters fans are really willing to pay for, lol.
I agree in terms of Isaac, but in terms of Geno, I think Nintendo is aware enough by now. It's Square that needs to stop being stubborn in that case. Grooooans, why couldn't Nintendo make a contract that promised them ownership of them for SMRPG? Nintendo, why you do?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Wow first the Isaac one, now Geno. I'm glad people are making this kinda of stuff, hopefully it reaches Nintendo's attention, hopefully they stop being stubborn and add the damn characters fans are really willing to pay for, lol.
View attachment 187627
My point of view: the more characters that get in that aren't them, the harder it'll be for higher-ups to ignore these two and their fan demand.

I agree in terms of Isaac, but in terms of Geno, I think Nintendo is aware enough by now. It's Square that needs to stop being stubborn in that case. Grooooans, why couldn't Nintendo make a contract that promised them ownership of them for SMRPG? Nintendo, why you do?
I blame that pesky cultural tradition of respecting other people by not using their stuff (apart from characters that are in the title of the danged game, in the case of the games industry). This is why staple characters like :ultbowser:and :ultpeach: never got into a mainline Game Boy Mario game, for one. Yes, I know Smash Bros is about using other people's stuff in the first place, but it's mainly asking permission and personal feelings in regards to whether someone fits well, I'd imagine. Also, it being a crossover.

Though if Pauline is any indication, even they eventually have no other choice but to change their minds. There just needs to be very particular circumstances for this kind of thing to happen.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You know what I’m gonna go with PolarPanda PolarPanda statement that no leaker knows who the dlc is not even verge and he refuses to be proven wrong the reason I trust polarpanda is that not only his rumors and that pr game became true but he has shown to be a geno supporter to all of us the brave stats fill geno very well and let’s hope that geno rumor is true because it would prove the ones who said he was leakbait will be proven wrong like cmon now people are just jumping on the Erdrick and Steve bandwagon swing that there in including the doom leak and who knows both eddy and Steve could be leakbait. Speaking of Steve.....

Polarpanda have you heard anything about Steve being a dlc character?

What about you Fatmanonice Fatmanonice anything about Steve?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
And we all remember what happened? We ended up having our hearts destroyed the very second the wrestling ring appeared on screen.
Incorrect. My heart was destroyed the moment those eyes showed up behind Ken.

The moment I saw the boxing ring, I believed they were showing the echo fighters first because I knew right away that it was Ken.
I mean, Nintendo's been doing a decent job at appealing to both longtime and modern fans of Smash. Just with the newcomers:

Ridley, K.Rool, and Simon were added to appeal longtime hardcore fans. Chrom and Dark Samus were also very easy clones to make that were spawned off of fan demand since the previous game. Ken had a bit of a following too after the echo fighter reveal.

Modern fans who are just now getting into Smash (since nobody bought a Wii U) got Isabelle, Incineroar, and Inkling. You could argue Daisy was a good echo fighter for casuals but she was also in a bit of demand as well. You might be able to argue Joker as well since he's a newer character, but I would say that's disingenuous since the rest of the DLC hasn't even been revealed yet.

Then there are characters that could easily go both ways, like Richter and P L A N T.

Honestly none of these characters are bad picks at all and they all have their place here. It just seems pretty obvious that Nintendo was trying to balance the newcomers for both sides. And, I mean, can you blame them? Both hardcore fans and casuals supply them with a ton of money, so it makes sense to appeal to both rather then just the one. And anyways, there are only like 2 or 3 "longtime popular" picks left, like Isaac, Geno, and Banjo. And Geno and Banjo are both third parties. Isaac is really the only one that I'm surprised hasn't been included yet.
I believe Isaac is second-party, so he'd be pretty easy to achieve compared to Geno and Banjo. Someone ended up getting the Smash Ultimate bundle early and many of Isaac's fans wanted to see if Camelot was on there, but it wasn't, which was a con for the grinch leak. Many thought that they didn't include it just yet because it wasn't finished printing until the November Direct but they were wrong.

I don't know who was picking the roster, but I believe Sakurai was the one who did it and listened to the community. Sure he missed Shadow, but we can't forget that he's also third-party and he would take some time to get. Perhaps there was no new Sonic content because they were saving it for Persona 5? Back to the topic, Dark Samus and Chrom were easy to get because they were first-party, so it makes sense. (Chosen because of the community and because they were easy to achieve.) I think Isabelle was also a fan pick because many like her more than the Villager. Incineroar was there because of Sakurai.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, going by that logic, would they need to ask Camelot before using Waluigi? Outside of other Mario spin-offs that don't involve golf and tennis, he's likeliest to show up in Camelot's games, since they created him. In the event that Isaac isn't considered until the next game, I could see Waluigi being used as a bargaining chip by Camelot, in a "you can use Isaac, as long as you use Waluigi as well" type of deal.

Perhaps there was no new Sonic content because they were saving it for Persona 5?
Seems sensical. Otherwise, it's extremely strange that they still haven't capitalised on adding more Sonic characters.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
So, going by that logic, would they need to ask Camelot before using Waluigi? Outside of other Mario spin-offs that don't involve golf and tennis, he's likeliest to show up in Camelot's games, since they created him. In the event that Isaac isn't considered until the next game, I could see Waluigi being used as a bargaining chip by Camelot, in a "you can use Isaac, as long as you use Waluigi as well" type of deal.
I think Waluigi is in a Diddy Kong type situation. Diddy, like Waluigi, was created by another company (Rare). However, Nintendo owns the full rights to Diddy, his hat even shows it! Given how much Waluigi shows up in the Mario universe, I doubt Nintendo has to keep asking Camelot to use Waluigi. So I think because Waluigi is fully owned by Nintendo, they can just plop him in if they choose to without any negotiations being necessary. Camelot does not own Waluigi, so they have no power to say "you can use Isaac, as long as you use Waluigi". They own the full rights to Golden Sun, and by extension Isaac, so they would need to use another Camelot-owned character to bargain with since Waluigi is owned by Nintendo.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think Waluigi is in a Diddy Kong type situation. Diddy, like Waluigi, was created by another company (Rare). However, Nintendo owns the full rights to Diddy, his hat even shows it! Given how much Waluigi shows up in the Mario universe, I doubt Nintendo has to keep asking Camelot to use Waluigi. So I think because Waluigi is fully owned by Nintendo, they can just plop him in if they choose to without any negotiations being necessary. Camelot does not own Waluigi, so they have no power to say "you can use Isaac, as long as you use Waluigi". They own the full rights to Golden Sun, and by extension Isaac, so they would need to use another Camelot-owned character to bargain with since Waluigi is owned by Nintendo.
Yeah, but even then even Waluigi is not immune from being taken out of anything, since he was absent from Mario Kart 7, a game made by an American company, no less.

The only noteworthy series to pick a character from I can think of (besides the Mario Golf/Tennis human characters that never show up in anything again, rip) is from the Shining series, but that's owned by Sega, so I don't see who would be tossed in with Isaac except maybe Felix.

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
Man, as much as I wish Brave was Geno and not Erdrick, I selflessly hope that isn't the case. I was one of the people who thought Shadow was a lock, and I was insanely excited over the idea of playing as him. I'm probably the biggest Shadow fan I know, loving him from all the way back in Sonic Adventure 2 (and shuddering to know how SEGA ruined his character after the fact). Seeing him as only an AT absolutely crushed me, especially after the Knuckles AT reveal and his being MIA for so long.

That pain of thinking your favorite is in, only to see that it was all a fantasy, is something I wish on no one.
That's pretty much 100% how I felt with Skull Kid. I mean, it's a bit better in that case, considering the Mii Costume looks exactly like Skull Kid so it's almost like playing as him (heck, all Sakurai and the team would have to do would be to add his vocie and a proper moveset and you're done, the model is the hardest part and they've got that), but us Skull Kid fans thought he might have a shot. And they didn't show him at all during the Direct, put up that he was an Assist after the last Direct, and people found out he was a Mii Costume later. Why they didn't put Skull Kid's Mii Costume in the costume showcase in the last Direct is beyond me, at least they would have gotten some "It looks just like Skull Kid so it's the next best thing!" comments and we wouldn't have gotten our hopes dashed, then dashed further, than up a bit.

Maybe next Smash... hopefully Shadow, Geno, and Skull Kid will all be properly playable in Smash soon enough!

(For the record I main Skull Kid Mii, refer to him as Skull Kid, and freaking love him, but still.)

Last edited:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
https://twitter.com/NibrocRock/status/1087076570693541888
You guys ready for a new Geno render? (Made by the same guy who made that Isaac render earlier this month.)
For a second, I actually thought that was Geno's design they found for Smash Ultimate. The new render they're making is going to be amazing. I like the previous one, but the first one is a little weird looking.
It's... It's beautiful...

Imagine how amazing his render would be if we actually ended up getting him, maaaaan. :drsad:
No disrespect to the guy making the new Geno render. If Geno got in the game as a DLC newcomer, his official render would probably make that one look and seem like a fake final boss.
Yeah, but even then even Waluigi is not immune from being taken out of anything, since he was absent from Mario Kart 7, a game made by an American company, no less.
I forgot that he was taken out of Mario Kart 7. What gets me is they have Waluigi Pinball as a stage but not Waluigi? And how does a Wiggler and the Queen Bee get in Mario Kart but not Waluigi? It's like Sakurai snuck in during its development and scrapped Waluigi from MK7 himself.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I saw the way brave plays and it reminded me of geno.Hopefully its him...
In a perfect world, I'm on the mark on 'brave' being a Pinocchio reference to make things far less obvious that it's Geno, and for a 20th anniversary gift from Sakurai to us, Geno is extra DLC outside of the Fighter's Pass, explaining the stats highly resembling him.

Sigh... Wish we lived in a perfect world.

T2by4

Smash Lord
In a perfect world, I'm on the mark on 'brave' being a Pinocchio reference to make things far less obvious that it's Geno, and for a 20th anniversary gift from Sakurai to us, Geno is extra DLC outside of the Fighter's Pass, explaining the stats highly resembling him.

We do... It's just a matter of waiting...

D

Deleted member

Something wrong?:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom