• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Y'know, the difference between wanting a character in Smash and liking the game they are from is a lot bigger than I thought. Normally I'd assume that, if you liked one of them, you'd be all for the other.

For instance, some people in the Square thread said they didn't want Geno in Smash, but they wouldn't mind him returning to the Mario universe or a remake of Super Mario RPG. And some people want Geno in Smash, but don't like SMRPG.

Though the majority of Geno fans like both, myself included, but still. It's interesting imo.
I think for those people it comes down to whether they see him as “worthy” of being in Smash. Like those that see him as a potentially unique fighter, representing the Mario RPG series, and the Square/Nintendo partnership are more likely to want him in smash than those that just see him as an interesting side character that showed up for one game of a franchise. So they’re cool with him showing up in a new Mario RPG or Mario at the Olympics but not in Smash.

I think there are people who would be fine with new Smash characters just being protagonists from popular series whether or not said character actually brings anything new to the table just because the character/series is popular. Thankfully Sakurai even mentioned with Pirhana Plant that he wants to break out of every character being a standard protagonist and is more concerned with characters bringing something new to the table.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
So they’re cool with him showing up in a new Mario RPG or Mario at the Olympics but not in Smash.
Geno in the Olympic crossover, oh my god. Things I never knew I needed, but now, I do.

I want Geno ice-skating and twirling and waving batons and being generally just adorable, thanks.

Pokemaster73

Smash Cadet
On an unrelated note, Mario RPG's anniversary is in two days. I doubt anything will happen, but it'd be neat if Nintendo sent out some sort of tweet acknowledging it.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Honestly, the suspense is KILLING me! C'mon Nintendo, just get it over with and TELL US who the next DLC is!!! I swear, if it's Minecraft Steve there is no way I'm buying that mystery box of fighters.
I actually don't mind if Erdrick is in the game, but if he is the next fighter to be revealed for the Season Pass and they don't announce anybody else's names but his post E3, than I'm leaving the speculation train for about 5 or 6 months and won't come back until November or December at least. It would suck to hear all this talk about DQ or a SE rep for more
I think for those people it comes down to whether they see him as “worthy” of being in Smash. Like those that see him as a potentially unique fighter, representing the Mario RPG series, and the Square/Nintendo partnership are more likely to want him in smash than those that just see him as an interesting side character that showed up for one game of a franchise. So they’re cool with him showing up in a new Mario RPG or Mario at the Olympics but not in Smash.

I think there are people who would be fine with new Smash characters just being protagonists from popular series whether or not said character actually brings anything new to the table just because the character/series is popular. Thankfully Sakurai even mentioned with Pirhana Plant that he wants to break out of every character being a standard protagonist and is more concerned with characters bringing something new to the table.
I also remember him saying in that Famitsu interview that one of the reasons he added Piranha Plant was because he thought it would be too boring if all the new characters were just good guys. I hope that means we are getting more villains besides just :ultridley:, :ultkrool:, :ultdarksamus:, and :ultpiranha:.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
On an unrelated note, Mario RPG's anniversary is in two days. I doubt anything will happen, but it'd be neat if Nintendo sent out some sort of tweet acknowledging it.
That would be the Japanese anniversary for SMRPG, so my guess is, if there is any tweeting at all, it will be from NoJ. I doubt it, but if NoJ tweets something SMRPG on that day?

Red flags, up.

Pokemaster73

Smash Cadet
That would be the Japanese anniversary for SMRPG, so my guess is, if there is any tweeting at all, it will be from NoJ. I doubt it, but if NoJ tweets something SMRPG on that day?

Red flags, up.
The American release isn't until May, which I honestly think would be the only release date acknowledged if anything.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I also remember him saying in that Famitsu interview that one of the reasons he added Piranha Plant was because he thought it would be too boring if all the new characters were just good guys. I hope that means we are getting more villains besides just :ultridley:, :ultkrool:, :ultdarksamus:, and :ultpiranha:.
Honestly the only villain I'd kill for is pic below.

Hell he's the only character I actually want a smidge more than Ninten to tell the truth. The boy's been my fave since 2010.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Geno in the Olympic crossover, oh my god. Things I never knew I needed, but now, I do.

I want Geno ice-skating and twirling and waving batons and being generally just adorable, thanks.
Didn't I mention these subjects before on the Operation Starfall thread? No matter, it is a cute(And possibly funny) image.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Didn't I mention these subjects before on the Operation Starfall thread? No matter, it is a cute(And possibly funny) image.
Then my memory is ********, because I totally forgot about that, haha.

Imagine Geno prat-falling on the ice. You're welcome.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Then my memory is ********, because I totally forgot about that, haha.

Imagine Geno prat-falling on the ice. You're welcome.
I wonder who Geno would best pair with in pair figure skating? Rosalina seems to be the obvious answer.

D

Deleted member

Replaying Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga.

What do y'all think of SS? I love it. Not as much as SMRPG though :D

Firox

Smash Master
On the point of smash having more villains, I just wanted to point out which ones we have so far:

As it stands, we've got :ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultganondorf::ultkrool::ultkingdedede::ultridley::ultdarksamus::ultwario::ultwolf::ultpiranha:and MAYBE :ultmewtwo: if you want to count him. Some ppl claim that :ultdarkpit: and :ultmetaknight: are villains but I would argue that they're more like anti-heros, but hey, that's still edgier than being a hero, right? If we want to count :ultmewtwo:, then we only have 11 villains out of a roster of 75+. Clearly, we need embrace more of the Dark Side....AFTER adding Geno of course. If we ended up getting Smithy as a DLC character alongside Geno I would literally seize up and die.

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
On the point of smash having more villains, I just wanted to point out which ones we have so far:

As it stands, we've got :ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultganondorf::ultkrool::ultkingdedede::ultridley::ultdarksamus::ultwario::ultwolf::ultpiranha:and MAYBE :ultmewtwo: if you want to count him. Some ppl claim that :ultdarkpit: and :ultmetaknight: are villains but I would argue that they're more like anti-heros, but hey, that's still edgier than being a hero, right? If we want to count :ultmewtwo:, then we only have 11 villains out of a roster of 75+. Clearly, we need embrace more of the Dark Side....AFTER adding Geno of course. If we ended up getting Smithy as a DLC character alongside Geno I would literally seize up and die.
Smithy is likely to never happen, Smithy would either be a boss or a spirit. It'll be cool if he was playable, but the chances are like 1%. If there's any villain that would be possible, it would likely be Porky Minch.

Firox

Smash Master
Smithy is likely to never happen, Smithy would either be a boss or a spirit. It'll be cool if he was playable, but the chances are like 1%. If there's any villain that would be possible, it would likely be Porky Minch.
I know how incredibly unlikely it is. That's why I said I'd seize up and die if it happened.

D

Deleted member

I would argue Dedede isn't a villain since he was only a villain one or two times every other time he was Brainwashed, Controlled, Possessed, Etc. He's more of a rival than anything.

And yeah Smithy would be pretty cool but I think if SMRPG got a second rep after Geno it would be Mallow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I think if we got Geno, the next Mario RPG rep would honestly be Paper Mario. Geno represents the very first Mario RPG to exist. Paper Mario represents the branch-off that was originally meant to be SMRPG2 and became its own thing. After that, I'd say Fawful would be a great contender for a Mario & Luigi rep (unless Geno and Mallow get into a M&L game (in Geno's case, again), in which case Geno would kinda already be that).

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I would argue Dedede isn't a villain since he was only a villain one or two times every other time he was Brainwashed, Controlled, Possessed, Etc. He's more of a rival than anything.

And yeah Smithy would be pretty cool but I think if SMRPG got a second rep after Geno it would be Mallow.
Dedede only had a true villain role in the show at best when it came to a recurring factor. He intentionally did bad things in the anime. Even near the end of the show, he still wasn't a good guy, just basically being the Token Evil Teammate.

Though I'd say Mallow is more memorable than Smithy, so I could see him getting in before the sword.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Dedede only had a true villain role in the show at best when it came to a recurring factor. He intentionally did bad things in the anime. Even near the end of the show, he still wasn't a good guy, just basically being the Token Evil Teammate.

Though I'd say Mallow is more memorable than Smithy, so I could see him getting in before the sword.
Smithy is not the sword. The sword is Exor.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
But. They have Nintendo in the URL. They must be credible!
Oh hey it's Nintendo "Mother 3 won't be localized because a GameInformer editor is unsure and we're gonna make a clickbait article about it" Life.

Honestly this site needs to calm down on all these rumors that come from sources outside Nintendo. It's annoying and spreads fake news like facts.
They report on everything, regardless of credibility levels, and try to be neutral about it, opinions don't reflect the site, etc. At least they acknowledge that Verge isn't that reliable this time. Also, still better than Kotaku.

And I'm still waiting for the universe to prove Alex wrong about Tails not having any moveset potential.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
For the longest time, I thought Smithy was the sword too. It's a common mistake considering that Exor is on the game's cover and looms over the world throughout the entire game. You never even see Smithy until the very very end. It reminds me of how my parents still think the movie Edge of Tomorrow is called "Live. Die. Repeat." because that slogan was all over the advertisements. lol

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
For the longest time, I thought Smithy was the sword too. It's a common mistake considering that Exor is on the game's cover and looms over the world throughout the entire game. You never even see Smithy until the very very end. It reminds me of how my parents still think the movie Edge of Tomorrow is called "Live. Die. Repeat." because that slogan was all over the advertisements. lol
I almost think that was intentional, as to hide the fact that there is more beyond beating Exor.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Am I the only one here who knew who Smithy was because of having had all the major bosses spoiled via Nintendo Power?
At the very least, it's a pretty clear name. Exor sounds more like the name of a sword. Though I don't know if it's meant to be a joke on Excelsior or not.

D

Deleted member

"This is our most popular machine: The Star 'Stache Smash! The high score is 200 points. Beat it to get an exquisite prize! Press START to view the rules. Good luck!"

D

Deleted member

Dedede and Wario aren't villains. Dedede is more of an anti-hero, like Meta Knight and Dark Pit and Wario just does stuff for himself.

D

Deleted member

Okay how about this: Remember DDR: Mario Mix? What if that, but with Geno?

Last edited by a moderator:

ZelDan

Smash Master
Dedede was only a villain in Dreamland 1 and maybe a few spinoffs? meta Knight was also a villain once when he wanted to exact non-specific revenge in Kirby Superstar. then after that those games Kirby, dedede, and meta were like "nah, we cool now"

maybe because they all realized godlike eldritch abominations kinda took more priority than whatever Beef they had with eachother.

D

Deleted member

Dedede was only a villain in Dreamland 1 and maybe a few spinoffs? meta Knight was also a villain once when he wanted to exact non-specific revenge in Kirby Superstar. then after that those games Kirby, dedede, and meta were like "nah, we cool now"

maybe because they all realized godlike eldritch abominations kinda took more priority than whatever Beef they had with eachother.
Also, Wario's only "villain" role was in Mario Land 2, after that, he just hunted for treasure and started a video game company.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Honestly, I'd prefer if Medusa, King Boo and Kamek among others get in instead of him. Smithy is such a far shot that he's at the edge of the universe.

Also, Wario's only "villain" role was in Mario Land 2, after that, he just hunted for treasure and started a video game company.
Not exactly, his villain roles depends on the writers even after his brief stint back in the old days (said stint consisting of SML2, Wario's Woods, the Japan-only Mario & Wario and the West-only Wario Blast). He's just as likely to be a villain as well as an anti-hero.

He did act as an outright villain in only one of the Warioware games though, and even then he wasn't quite himself.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Eh, I'd argue Dedede still counts as Kirby's villain. To this day, he's largely recognizable as Kirby's Bowser, even if he hasn't taken that role as much recently because the Kirby writers actually know how to tell a different story each game. Compare to Meta Knight, who was an anti-hero and an ally to Kirby from the beginning and only really had one voluntary villainous role in KSS(U).

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
At the very least, it's a pretty clear name. Exor sounds more like the name of a sword. Though I don't know if it's meant to be a joke on Excelsior or not.
I certainly have never heard someone connect Exor and excelsior, but it would be a bit fitting.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, I'd prefer if Medusa, King Boo and Kamek among others get in instead of him. Smithy is such a far shot that he's at the edge of the universe.

Not exactly, his villain roles depends on the writers even after his brief stint back in the old days (said stint consisting of SML2, Wario's Woods, the Japan-only Mario & Wario and the West-only Wario Blast). He's just as likely to be a villain as well as an anti-hero.

He did act as an outright villain in only one of the Warioware games though, and even then he wasn't quite himself.
Dang it. I keep forgetting those games exist.

ZelDan

Smash Master
The only villains I can really see myself wanting are Medusa and Sephiroth.

Maybe Dark Matter to help add to the playable Kirby roster. Dark Matter could potentially have an interetsing moveste with its multiple forms throughout the series.

Firox

Smash Master
Dedede and Wario aren't villains. Dedede is more of an anti-hero, like Meta Knight and Dark Pit and Wario just does stuff for himself.
I would agree that Wario is more of a Team Rocket kinda bad guy (more annoying than evil) but he's definitely still under the "bad guy" category. Anti-heroes often fight for the greater good in their own dark way, and he's definitely NOT one of those. Since his debut in Mario Land 2 for gameboy, he's always been an antagonist for Mario. Even the smash bros continuity establishes him as a villain. Remember subspace emissary? He may be driven by greed far more than megalomania like Bowser or Ganondorf but that doesn't excuse the evil deeds he's done in pursuit of wealth and money. He certainly hasn't ever done anything to redeem himself as a character that I know of. And no, you can't use his own games to justify him just because he's technically the protagonist in his own story. That would be like trying to justify Michael Myers just because he's the main character in Halloween.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom