• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
This is a very weird way of thinking and likely means nothing but Didn't Papagenos say that his Microsoft source heard about Geno? I don't think they would hear it from Square cause SMRPG doesn't have anything to do with Microsoft but what if they heard about Geno during discussions for Banjo, Maybe when they were doing DLC Negotiations for Banjo they went over DLC and Geno just so happened to be in there?

it's a stretch and likely means nothing but why would they hear about something as insignificant as a Spirit for a 3rd party Character, what reason would they bring that up? Add in the fact that IIRC Polar's source said that there might be 2 Fan Favorite picks and 3 Nintendo picks in DLC what other characters would they add for Fan Favorites except for Banjo and Geno? which just so happens to align with Papagenos source hearing about both Geno and Banjo.
I've actually never heard this theory before. Is there a vid about it? 2 fan favorites and 3 Nintendo/promotional characters honestly makes sense to me in a strange way...

D

Deleted member

I've actually never heard this theory before. Is there a vid about it? 2 fan favorites and 3 Nintendo/promotional characters honestly makes sense to me in a strange way...
by theory you mean the theory I was talking about? there isn't a Video about it cause I was just theorizing but The Microsoft Source thing can be found over on papageno's channel and about Polar's source saying the 2 Fan favorites and 3 Nintendo choices stated by Polar's source, I have no idea where you can find that part.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
This is a very weird way of thinking and likely means nothing but Didn't Papagenos say that his Microsoft source heard about Geno? I don't think they would hear it from Square cause SMRPG doesn't have anything to do with Microsoft but what if they heard about Geno during discussions for Banjo, Maybe when they were doing DLC Negotiations for Banjo they went over DLC and Geno just so happened to be in there?

it's a stretch and likely means nothing but why would they hear about something as insignificant as a Spirit for a 3rd party Character, what reason would they bring that up? Add in the fact that IIRC Polar's source said that there might be 2 Fan Favorite picks and 3 Nintendo picks in DLC what other characters would they add for Fan Favorites except for Banjo and Geno? which just so happens to align with Papagenos source hearing about both Geno and Banjo.
Unless I'm missing something or haven't heard about this lately, didn't his Microsoft source say Banjo and everyone on the "banner" was supposed to be in the game? We all know how that turned out. It's been quite sometime since I've watched PapaGenos, so I'm probably behind on his Microsoft source. But I do agree about the part with 2 fan-favorite and 3 promotional picks; Polar mentioned this and Banjo and Geno just fit the fan-favorite term perfectly!
I'm pretty sure that is just his head without the helmet lol, and what looks like his eyes inside his mouth is a golden tooth, and his eyes are next to his fin on the top of his head
I don't see how that could be a golden tooth because it looks to circular to be a tooth, but wow, I didn't imagine that being a golden tooth... If what you say is true, my eyes have been lied to for almost two decades now...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Unless I'm missing something or haven't heard about this lately, didn't his Microsoft source say Banjo and everyone on the "banner" was supposed to be in the game? We all know how that turned out. It's been quite sometime since I've watched PapaGenos, so I'm probably behind on his Microsoft source. But I do agree about the part with 2 fan-favorite and 3 promotional picks; Polar mentioned this and Banjo and Geno just fit the fan-favorite term perfectly!

I don't see how that could be a golden tooth because it looks to circular to be a tooth, but wow, I didn't imagine that being a golden tooth... If what you say is true, my eyes have been lied to for almost two decades now...
I've always thought that the orange curls on Geno's head are his hair.

I hope my eyes haven't been lying to me either XD

Ovaltine

Smash Master
If the two fan favorites thing is real along with the Geno rumor, I could honestly see the Fighter's Pass shaping up like this:

- Joker
- Erdrick
- Phoenix Wright
- Banjo-Kazooie
- Geno

If not, I don't expect much out of the DLC. That being said, in terms of fan favorites that haven't gotten deconfirmed so blatantly yet, Banjo and Geno are two of the only characters I can think of that fit the bill, especially in terms of third-parties.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
by theory you mean the theory I was talking about? there isn't a Video about it cause I was just theorizing but The Microsoft Source thing can be found over on papageno's channel and about Polar's source saying the 2 Fan favorites and 3 Nintendo choices stated by Polar's source, I have no idea where you can find that part.
Oh jeez I wasn't aware that Polar's source even mentioned that! Interesting...
Please may one of the Nintendo picks be Ninten.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure Papageno's source said he believed the Grinch leak because it had Banjo on it but he wasn't sure about the other characters. He just knew that Banjo was in at some point.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

At this point, it would be kinda weird to only have one of either Banjo or Geno, and it feels this way because of how the 2 have been associated so closely together with their fan requests.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I have been through this before, I am pretty sure the yellow is the eyes within his mouth.

D

Deleted member

from my knowledge the source only heard about every character that was on the banner + Incineroar and wasn't specifically told that they would be in (excluding Banjo, obviously) and they assumed that meant they would be in cause of the Grinch. Could be wrong but I don't remember them saying that the characters he heard were specifically supposed to be in the game.

If I'm wrong it was only a theory to begin with and shouldn't be taken as fact.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
I've always thought that the orange curls on Geno's head are his hair.

I hope my eyes haven't been lying to me either XD
I have been through this before, I am pretty sure the yellow is the eyes within his mouth.
Geez, I hope we get to see some updated artwork on SMRPG characters soon because some of the designs really confuse the hell out of my eyes. When I was a kid, I thought Geno's nose was actually his lip. I am also confused with Boomer's design because he doesn't really look like his in-game sprite. Probably one of the only Smithy Gang members I liked and would love to see return in a sequel, same with Exor.

D

Deleted member

Geez, I hope we get to see some updated artwork on SMRPG characters soon because some of the designs really confuse the hell out of my eyes. When I was a kid, I thought Geno's nose was actually his lip. I am also confused with Boomer's design because he doesn't really look like his in-game sprite. Probably one of the only Smithy Gang members I liked and would love to see return in a sequel, same with Exor.

Man, I've never seen this before, and I agree with you.

It just hurts to look at lmao

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
I’m still seeing his eyes on the top, with the little grey circle being an eyepatch (you can sorta make out the string running around it).

I’m not sure what the yellow in his mouth is supposed to be, but the black slit in the middle is actually one of his lower teeth in shadow.

Unless I’m dead wrong, which I admit is very possible. ;)

ZelDan

Smash Master
Wait, so Johnny might not have been an actual Shark this whole time? This is honestly the first time I've seen that detailed render and yellow orb in his mouth.

I think I need to lay down for a moment...

ZelDan

Smash Master
Speaking of weird SMRPG renders:

younger me always saw the red springs as a lips (missing that there is a third coil), the yellow part as a mustache, and the mack as just some accessory I guess, since you can't really get a good view of anything but the Mack's Head in his sprite.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Nintendo Dream reposted its Sakurai interview from last month along with some new information that was previously unknown. Among the most interesting details:
"Sakurai notes that it's hard to make sword users stand out. He jokes that protagonists should get an axe sometimes. "

source: https://twitter.com/PushDustIn/status/1097015753235001345

Food for thought for anyone who considered the anime sword user criticism a "meme" :^) Also pretty interesting considering Erdrick in most of his depicted incarnations is wielding a sword yet Brave seems to be a zoner and now we get this. It just doesn't sound like Sakurai is super keen to add more sword fighters.

Last edited:

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Nintendo Dream reposted it's Sakurai interview from last month along with some new information that was previously unknown. Among the most interesting details:
"Sakurai notes that it's hard to make sword users stand out. He jokes that protagonists should get an axe sometimes. "

Food for thought for anyone who considered the anime sword user criticism a "meme" :^) Also pretty interesting considering Erdrick in most of his depicted incarnations is wielding a sword yet Brave seems to be a zoner and now we get this. It just doesn't sound like Sakurai is super keen to add more sword fighters.
Axe? .. Oh no

Are you prepared

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
But lets be real. Who isn't a generic protagonist that doesn't use a sword and does more then just punchs and kicks? You guessed it!

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Speaking of weird SMRPG renders:

younger me always saw the red springs as a lips (missing that there is a third coil), the yellow part as a mustache, and the mack as just some accessory I guess, since you can't really get a good view of anything but the Mack's Head in his sprite.

When I was little, I thought the Shysters were actually T-posing Shy Guys made out of pogo sticks... boy, my brain and eyes were miles off with that. Oh, and this is quite interesting... now I'm starting to think Shy Guys could all be machine made and originated from Smithy's dimension. I find it weird how the Smithy Gang had Shy Guys in their clan. For all we know Smithy could've made the Shysters deriving from Shy Guys, but still, that is very interesting to see Shy Guys on pogo sticks be a part of his clan.
I’m still seeing his eyes on the top, with the little grey circle being an eyepatch (you can sorta make out the string running around it).

I’m not sure what the yellow in his mouth is supposed to be, but the black slit in the middle is actually one of his lower teeth in shadow.

Unless I’m dead wrong, which I admit is very possible. ;)
Man, I've never seen this before, and I agree with you.

It just hurts to look at lmao

This is the new "black and blue / gold and white dress" argument.

Are Johnny's eyes on his head or in his mouth? lol
Not even science can answer this...

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
Hmm, I've never seen the swordsman complaint as a "meme" necessarily, just as something that's very overblown. That and when I think about it I can't help but feel that to some extent it's disingenuous. Do people really complain about anime swordsmen because they are really concerned about variety, or is it just that they don't like any of the anime swordsmen that are brought up, and are just thinking up an excuse to justify disliking a character they don't like getting over one they do like?

if some of the big fan favorites, hypothetically, were to wield swords (Geno, Banjo, Dixie, Bandana Waddle Dee, etc.(and yes I realize how silly it sounds for some of these to be sword wielders, but again, being hypothetical here)), would people still be bringing up the complaint?

not aiming any of this at anyone specifically here or elsewhere by the way, I'm speaking generally here. This is just something that's been on my mind and felt like throwing out there.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
But lets be real. Who isn't a generic protagonist that doesn't use a sword and does more then just punchs and kicks? You guessed it!
Based

Even more based

Hmm, I've never seen the swordsman complaint as a "meme" necessarily, just as something that's very overblown. That and when I think about it I can't help but feel that to some extent it's disingenuous. Do people really complain about anime swordsmen because they are really concerned about variety, or is it just that they don't like any of the anime swordsmen that are brought up, and are just thinking up an excuse to justify disliking a character they don't like getting over one they do like?

if some of the big fan favorites, hypothetically, were to wield swords (Geno, Banjo, Dixie, Bandana Waddle Dee, etc.(and yes I realize how silly it sounds for some of these to be sword wielders, but again, being hypothetical here)), would people still be bringing up the complaint?

not aiming any of this at anyone specifically here or elsewhere by the way, I'm speaking generally here. This is just something that's been on my mind and felt like throwing out there.
People didn't have a problem with Marth or Roy when they showed up in Melee. If anything that started the interest from American audiences in FE as a franchise. People didn't have a problem with Ike in Brawl. It only became an issue in Sm4sh when there were a bunch of anime swordfighters added all at once. That is the difference.

"if some of the big fan favorites, hypothetically, were to wield swords (Geno, Banjo, Dixie, Bandana Waddle Dee, etc.(and yes I realize how silly it sounds for some of these to be sword wielders, but again, being hypothetical here)), would people still be bringing up the complaint?"

I'm sorry, man. Even if you're acknowledging it it's still a ridiculous argument. If the characters were given swords they would obviously be fundamentally different characters in the games they premiered in and people would have dramatically different feelings towards them. You wouldn't have Sakurai saying Geno should have been in Brawl because he brought something different to the table because in that case he obviously didn't bring something new to the table. He would have been one of numerous RPG side characters that wields a sword. I mean if anything this point you're trying to make is more an argument against more swordfighters. Each of those characters you listed are well-liked and taken seriously when it comes to smash speculation specifically because of their potential as new fighters to bring something different to the game. As Sakurai has just been noted as saying: It's hard to make sword users stand out. Period. It doesn't really matter if they're animu or cartoony. Like, is Toon Link really that big of a divergence from the other two versions of Link? Even if Erdrick is in his cartoony/chibi form you're going to have people complaining about him being a swordfighter if he's both given a sword and not hugely differentiated from other sword users. Like I don't think many people are going to be hyped for "Toon FE Swordfighter".

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Guys like Isaac, Rex and Sora kinda show that when a character has strong support they can easily tank that swordfighter ‘argument’.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I wholeheartedly agree about updating those SMRPG renders. They look so wonky and are unpleasing to look at in some situations. I really hope Nintendo and Square takes advantage of their new partership and actually provide us with some new content.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
At this point, it would be kinda weird to only have one of either Banjo or Geno, and it feels this way because of how the 2 have been associated so closely together with their fan requests.
Are they closed associated? In a post Ridley/King K Rool and particularly Grinch world, sure they’re decently close as not hard disconfirmed characters that are fan favorites...

But beyond that? Eh... Banjo was the absolute biggest pipe dream until Phil Spencer lit a fire under speculation during the ballot. Geno has years of buildup from the Brawl era. Banjo is so different to Geno too and has specifically a different nostalgia crowd to appeal to that I think goes beyond the Smash fandom despite his popularity in it.

I find that comment just kind of weird because outside of being 90s era fan requests, they’ve really got nothing in common and would largely have different circumstances to there inclusion I’d imagine (it would certainly be helpful for us if say Square mentioned something supporting Geno). Not to mention Banjo is a much harder move overall for both companies that I think would be a bit of a crowning achievement for Nintendo and Microsoft, and I don’t think any character can live up to that.

I think it’s actually a pretty likely scenario to see one but not the other, and not even all that strange. Especially if they lifted the mountain to get Banjo and go, “that’s enough fan request stuff” or maybe even vice versa. I want both in desperately, but I’d be entirely unsurprised to get only one of them if we even get one of them.

Not to mention Isaac was 100% more connected to us Geno fans and shared an arguably more fitting relationship seeing as they both existed in the realm of the only thing that they need to be in Smash is made a priority since the rights are already on the table. I’m still annoyed by Isaac’s situation given he could be such an easy damn win, and Geno could as well, but hey, we don’t really get to decide who is a priority for Smash and they already did listen to our requests a lot...

ZelDan

Smash Master
Based

Even more based

People didn't have a problem with Marth or Roy when they showed up in Melee. If anything that started the interest from American audiences in FE as a franchise. People didn't have a problem with Ike in Brawl. It only became an issue in Sm4sh when there were a bunch of anime swordfighters added all at once. That is the difference.

"if some of the big fan favorites, hypothetically, were to wield swords (Geno, Banjo, Dixie, Bandana Waddle Dee, etc.(and yes I realize how silly it sounds for some of these to be sword wielders, but again, being hypothetical here)), would people still be bringing up the complaint?"

I'm sorry, man. Even if you're acknowledging it it's still a ridiculous argument. If the characters were given swords they would obviously be fundamentally different characters in the games they premiered in and people would have dramatically different feelings towards them. You wouldn't have Sakurai saying Geno should have been in Brawl because he brought something different to the table because in that case he obviously didn't bring something new to the table. He would have been one of numerous RPG side characters that wields a sword. I mean if anything this point you're trying to make is more an argument against more swordfighters. Each of those characters you listed are well-liked and taken seriously when it comes to smash speculation specifically because of their potential as new fighters to bring something different to the game. As Sakurai has just been noted as saying: It's hard to make sword users stand out. Period. It doesn't really matter if they're animu or cartoony. Like, is Toon Link really that big of a divergence from the other two versions of Link? Even if Erdrick is in his cartoony/chibi form you're going to have people complaining about him being a swordfighter if he's both given a sword and not hugely differentiated from other sword users. Like I don't think many people are going to be hyped for "Toon FE Swordfighter".
So, if Geno had a sword, but was the entirely the same otherwise, having the same personality, design, still had as big as a role in SMRPG, and still had some of the abilities he has now in SMRPG (so that his moveset isn't only sword-based, but had some rainbow stuff and gun stuff), you and others wouldn't want him anymore?

Also, I looked into the recent PushDustin stuff and apparently sword users aren't the only characters Sakurai threw some shade at:

https://twitter.com/PushDustIn/status/1097016247386923008

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
And we can't forget that no DLC suggestions were denied, according to Reggie.

They'd be doing Sakurai a solid :ultsnake:.

Now that Sakurai has the help of Nintendo, he could easily get access to third-party rights because Nintendo is like that friend or sibling that will help you pay for something. To get Geno, well, you actually need Shigeru Miyamoto and Square because Miyamoto is the one that basically has the authority of the Mario characters, hence why I think Geno is a pain in the *** to get since Miyamoto has that weird hatred for Mario RPG characters. There's some info going around that Miyamoto actually created Geno, so yeah, I guess Sakurai has to get the green light from Miyamoto as well. Super Smash Brothers is a Nintendo published series and not a third-party series/game, so I think Miyamoto will play ball as long as Square gets onboard first. First comes Square, then Miyamoto.
Miyamoto is allergic to any sort of plot, backstory or otherwise, so that makes things double-complicated. Hell, :ultrosalina:got a minor cameo in the second installment of the SMG sub-series.

So, if Geno had a sword, but was the entirely the same otherwise, having the same personality, design, still had as big as a role in SMRPG, and still had some of the abilities he has now in SMRPG (so that his moveset isn't only sword-based, but had some rainbow stuff and gun stuff), you and others wouldn't want him anymore?

Also, I looked into the recent PushDustin stuff and apparently sword users aren't the only characters Sakurai threw some shade at:

Heh, so much for wanting any more Punch-Out! characters then.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Are they closed associated? In a post Ridley/King K Rool and particularly Grinch world, sure they’re decently close as not hard disconfirmed characters that are fan favorites...

But beyond that? Eh... Banjo was the absolute biggest pipe dream until Phil Spencer lit a fire under speculation during the ballot. Geno has years of buildup from the Brawl era. Banjo is so different to Geno too and has specifically a different nostalgia crowd to appeal to that I think goes beyond the Smash fandom despite his popularity in it.

I find that comment just kind of weird because outside of being 90s era fan requests, they’ve really got nothing in common and would largely have different circumstances to there inclusion I’d imagine (it would certainly be helpful for us if say Square mentioned something supporting Geno). Not to mention Banjo is a much harder move overall for both companies that I think would be a bit of a crowning achievement for Nintendo and Microsoft, and I don’t think any character can live up to that.

I think it’s actually a pretty likely scenario to see one but not the other, and not even all that strange. Especially if they lifted the mountain to get Banjo and go, “that’s enough fan request stuff” or maybe even vice versa. I want both in desperately, but I’d be entirely unsurprised to get only one of them if we even get one of them.

Not to mention Isaac was 100% more connected to us Geno fans and shared an arguably more fitting relationship seeing as they both existed in the realm of the only thing that they need to be in Smash is made a priority since the rights are already on the table. I’m still annoyed by Isaac’s situation given he could be such an easy damn win, and Geno could as well, but hey, we don’t really get to decide who is a priority for Smash and they already did listen to our requests a lot...
By closely associated, I'm talking about how much they are brought up together, how they are the two most requested third party characters and the two most requested characters overall who haven't been either confirmed or deconfirmed, how they are closely associated with Nintendo and how the fans of the characters want them to return to Nintendo, and, not gonna lie, which, when you add everything up, you can't really argue against it.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Banjo and Geno are still different in their ownership: the other common point they share is they have Mario series blood, but Banjo is now completely a Microsoft franchise character while Geno doesn't belong to any Square franchise despite his right goes to Square. Banjo's inclusion would be as same as the rest of existed 3rd party guests, but Geno's case is known to be very sepcial from others.

Like said I don't think Banjo fans especially want him to reunite with Diddy but he is more just a representive of his own game. Geno supportors are mostly fans of SMRPG, he is mostly wanted to return to memorize the good old days.

To get Geno, well, you actually need Shigeru Miyamoto and Square because Miyamoto is the one that basically has the authority of the Mario characters, hence why I think Geno is a pain in the *** to get since Miyamoto has that weird hatred for Mario RPG characters. There's some info going around that Miyamoto actually created Geno, so yeah, I guess Sakurai has to get the green light from Miyamoto as well. Super Smash Brothers is a Nintendo published series and not a third-party series/game, so I think Miyamoto will play ball as long as Square gets onboard first. First comes Square, then Miyamoto.
As others said, I more believe that most characters from this game aside from those enemies based on existed Mario species come from Square side, well, just telling by instinct, it feels like characters from later Mario rpgs do not share similiar traits with those from SMRPG.

Just in general I think that Miyamoto doesn't hate, but is just indifferent with the Mario RPG characters all the time, or he would have been the biggest support if he ever openly speaks about the Geno fanbase. But just in the Smash roster, if he does think Geno's insertion would have direct conflict with the characters he created, he might be on the opposite side.

Last edited:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019

Has this been posted yet? Doesn't sound like Sakurai thinks new sword characters would be especially interesting

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Has this been posted yet? Doesn't sound like Sakurai thinks new sword characters would be especially interesting
The interview this is from has been seen at least a few weeks ago. I can't blame him, since FE's habit of having swordsmen as the main character has started to backfire in regards to providing moveset variety since unlike cases like Meta Knight, they rarely come with a noteworthy gimmick. I wouldn't be shocked if Teacher gets skipped over entirely at this rate.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Nintendo Dream reposted its Sakurai interview from last month along with some new information that was previously unknown. Among the most interesting details:

On the topic of Dragon Quest, Square Enix made an interesting announcement yesterday. There's going to be a feature length Dragon Quest movie... But it's going to be based on Dragon Quest V. It's interesting to note this because this is the first time Dragon Quest has had anything animated in decades and they didn't go with III, the best known, most rereleased, and most popular one.

"I'm sure it's been talked about here but one of the main people behind Dragon Quest Builders made comments about Dragon Quest content in Smash that were very similar to those made by the people behind ARMS (basically that they really want it but haven't been contacted about anything) so it's just becoming an increasingly weird situation." Edit: apparently this was just a rumor going around because I can't find the interview.

You could make the argument that the table is being set very poorly for an Erdrick arrival because they seem to keep swerving big opportunities to introduce the character to wider audiences.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
On the topic of Dragon Quest, Square Enix made an interesting announcement yesterday. There's going to be a feature length Dragon Quest movie... But it's going to be based on Dragon Quest V. It's interesting to note this because this is the first time Dragon Quest has had anything animated in decades and they didn't go with III, the best known, most rereleased, and most popular one. I'm sure it's been talked about here but one of the main people behind Dragon Quest Builders made comments about Dragon Quest content in Smash that were very similar to those made by the people behind ARMS (basically that they really want it but haven't been contacted about anything) so it's just becoming an increasingly weird situation. You could make the argument that the table is being set very poorly for an Erdrick arrival because they seem to keep swerving big opportunities to introduce the character to wider audiences.
Given I still think Erdrick is coming, that's... like... whaaaat? That is so freaking weird if that's true, though?

Whether we get Erdrick or not, this is getting really juicy.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I just wish they would announce the character already. Just a splash screen.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
On the topic of Dragon Quest, Square Enix made an interesting announcement yesterday. There's going to be a feature length Dragon Quest movie... But it's going to be based on Dragon Quest V. It's interesting to note this because this is the first time Dragon Quest has had anything animated in decades and they didn't go with III, the best known, most rereleased, and most popular one. I'm sure it's been talked about here but one of the main people behind Dragon Quest Builders made comments about Dragon Quest content in Smash that were very similar to those made by the people behind ARMS (basically that they really want it but haven't been contacted about anything) so it's just becoming an increasingly weird situation. You could make the argument that the table is being set very poorly for an Erdrick arrival because they seem to keep swerving big opportunities to introduce the character to wider audiences.
My hunch is, nothing happened. Much like those people at Minecon who seemingly haven't even heard of a Smash deal. Another thing DQ and Minecraft fans have in common, curiously enough.

If even your own staff, for the biggest JRPG in Japan, hasn't heard of any Smash deal, it's really starting to seem like this has been a hoax to start with.

For real though, I'm glad that DQV is getting a movie, even if it's almost certain they'll just stick with the Nera path.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
If they were trying to introduce Erdrick to the general public they wouldn't be making a movie based off V. If it's DQ it's going to be Slime or a DQV character.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord

I wouldn’t be as gung ho about him specifically being in Smash for his return because he mechanically wouldn’t be that dissimilar from characters like Link who are already in the game. It’s like how I feel about Sora. I like the character and I like KH but there are a lot of characters I would want in before him because (as I’m pointing out for the third time) Sakurai even said it’s hard to make sword characters feel that different from one another.

D

Deleted member

The sword argument really only applies to Fire Emblem given how four characters have a similar moveset, and all of the FE characters so far wield a sword and have similar personalities. If the anime swordsman thing was a legit universal argument, then Cloud would have been reviled upon release. No one would have been wanting Ganondorf to wield a sword if the swordsman argument was a legit thing. No one would be wanting Isaac in if the swordsman argument was a legit thing. It really does sound like an excuse to bash the characters people don't want by immediately referencing the worst possible scenario.

Also difficulty in application does not equal the quality it'll provide either.

You could make the argument that the table is being set very poorly for an Erdrick arrival because they seem to keep swerving big opportunities to introduce the character to wider audiences.
Quite the opposite in my opinion. Erdrick himself might not be getting exposure, but the series being on the minds of other people is a great way to open others up to DQ representation ever so slowly. It's not that hard to also introduce Erdrick as the main character of the most influential Dragon Quest game. It's like being a fan of the Pokemon anime and then having Pokemon Trainer put into Brawl instead of Ash, or something like that. Who cares if the anime didn't star the Pokemon Trainer? People will figure it out.

Plus DQ 5 is said to have the best plot so it has the most room for a movie and is probably the second most loved DQ game. As influential as DQ 3 might be, it's story isn't as huge. And remember all of the practices to promote Dragon Quest is not done to promote Erdrick. It's done to promote Dragon Quest. Erdrick is another means to promote Dragon Quest. This is all done to promote Dragon Quest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom