• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
I won't lie these past few days have been depressing to me in the sense that geno's chance's have been brought down. Most of my wanted characters have been de confirmed:
zero: assist trophy
marshadow: pokeball Pokemon
dillon: assist trophy
shovel knight: assist trophy
and then we have gunvolt who is too small of a series to see any reps in smash. I literally only have geno left to root for and it sucks so much. And what's worse is that Nintendo takes a billion years to announce things so we will be in this limbo for a long damn time. Sigh anyway I'm not leaving this train until it crashes and burns.
The thing is , the train won't crash and burn. We'll just go somewhere else if Geno isn't in Ultimate.

But yeah , I can relate to favorites characters beeing disconfirmed , even tho mine are more up in the air:
-Geno (Spirit)
-Louie(Spirit)
-Isaac(Assist)
-Rayman(Spirit)
-Camilla(spirit , but it was too big of a pipe dream to happen anyway lol)

That would mean that my last character standing would be Klonoa. And with Lloyd and Yuri in the way... My poor fluffy boi is gonna get ignored again.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I'm lucky enough to be the type of person who would love to see a LOT of different characters. But none the less; Some characters did get deconfirmed pretty roughly this time around.

FLGibsonIII

Smash Journeyman
Lol maybe Nintendo paid Matpat to turn the fanbase against Geno since he won't be in. Seriously though, I think Geno has a decent chance still. This leakbait stuff about Geno seems fishy. It could be DQ, but I honestly feel like there is enough evidence to prove Geno has a decent shot.

I think people attack other characters that they see as an easy target to promote their own character. Psychologically, people will insist other popular characters are irrelevant to feel like the chances of their favorite character are increased.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Also this idea that you should just quit competing in tournaments when you hit 30 is stupid. Are you still having fun competing? If so then don’t give a **** about how much older you are. So what if you’re not a household name like m2k, esam, hungrybox, fatality, w/e, the whole point is if you enjoy it. No you probably shouldn’t dedicate your *entire* life to it, but if you’re still finding it enjoyable keep doing it on the side.

If you’ve stopped competing because you don’t find it fun anymore, or if your “only” reason was because you wanted to eventually play geno in tournaments and make yourself famous as the “best” geno main(which I find it hard to believe that this would be anyone’s only purpose for it), then sure maybe you should probably quit competing in tournaments.

But other than that, if you still enjoy it keep going.
Because if 30 year olds hanging around teenagers and college students is considered creepy in any other circumstance, why wouldn't it be here? It's like how high school students have no business being in T Ball leagues. This is kind of a unique problem of my generation because, with Generation X, you were pretty much told to drop video games altogether as an adult and in the late 90's this was pretty much the cultural standard.

Then, something happened. My generation grew up and we largely took away the stigma of cartoons, video games, comics, etc but we're also coming to learn that there's definitely limits. Gaming has no equivalent of "slow pitch softball" so it's a very awkward meshing. Yes, arcade pubs are booming in popularity but would older gamer leagues, especially if they were tied to specific games like Smash? That's a tall order, especially for local scenes like mine that can barely regularly make 16 man brackets for weeklies.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
You know i do kinda wonder if a lot of these known “insiders” and YouTube celebs are actually being directly told geno’s chances are low strictly to throw folks off.
Of course the same could be said for sora... people directly being told not to take these characters seriously, to try and cause speculation and hope for em to die, just so they can surprise folks later when they’re revealed.

Though it’s also weird that Nintendo seems to be mentioning smrpg and geno a lot lately...

Last edited:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
All of you discussing your wanted characters getting deconfirmed reminds me of how many of my characters are also BTFO as well.

Claus: Kid's a literal walking spoiler and Lucas has both of his skins still.
Decidueye: Incineroar incinerated him.
Protoman: Too different to be an echo, yet not unique enough to warrant being a character
Haxorus: Not even a spirit.
Klonoa: No way will he be chosen over Yuri/Lloyd.

Probably my fault for liking "Trash" characters. Either way, kinda sucks for those five.

All I have left are ironically my two most wanted characters: Ninten and Geno. Two characters that seemingly can't get away from arguments from detractors that are almost always the same points just rehashed (Literal who, looks like Ness, irrelevant, Nintendo hates them) so I'm sorta feeling burnt out too. I've had acquaintances/friends of mine outright tell me I'm delusional for thinking either of these two even having a chance at getting into Smash and honestly, it really stings when someone you trust just outright tells you to chill out because not enough people give a crap about your character for Nintendo to even think about putting them in the game and to just be happy and accept it for what it is.

I honestly ask myself why I put up with the constant annoyance of it all. My IRL friends are amazed I haven't snapped after all the bs I've put up with since July during this speculation season. Honestly, I'm not even sure myself. I guess part of me just really wanted to get out there and discuss with people why I thought x character has a really good shot despite the odds. Hell I even made two separate powerpoints for this character just to try to show people in x's fandom to not give up hope. I guess I just really want to be a helpful asset to fandoms I care about, though oftentimes I feel like I come across as more of an annoyance than a help.

I'd honestly prefer my characters getting deconfirmed right out of the gate/before the game released than sitting through an extra year of dread then having them get deconfirmed later on. People like the Steve ****posters are also out of hand in my opinion. Mentioning Geno or Ninten outside of these boards is seemingly a death warrant, so oddly enough, this place and the Ninten thread sorta is a kind of sanctuary to an extent for me, even if I'm fairly new to discussing on Smashboards.

I'm not throwing in the towel on Geno or Ninten yet as they both still have good arguments towards them. (Trust me on the Ninten part, he's gotta decent amount of evidence pointing towards him as well, though here is probably not the best place to discus it.) Though I certainly agree. These detractors are relentless and make me question my sanity.

Aaaaaaand I wrote an essay. Oops.

Last edited:

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
To be honest, when I first played the game and realized that Fighter Spirits uses the original renders from its games... That was the moment I said to myself that Geno indeed, may not be the Square Rep...

But who else.

The only "other" one would be Crono, but it just feel... odd, why Nintendo/Sakurai would choose Crono over Geno, I really don't see a good explanation since, at least NoA made a lot of SMRPG references during 2018, and they pretty well know how much love does this character gets.
I really think, Geno is still in, I don't know how, I also don't know how to expect it but.. isn't that better?

If a lot of people feels its unexpected, then it's better since it adds some "surprise factor" to the character.

I'm still rooting for Geno, until a SE character gets revealed, for sure.
If this thread is in a Hiatus right now, for me it's ok.

PD: About the MatPat video, it's just a video, don't take it tooo seriously, even tho some people may think "This people who want Geno are so toxic!", they would think the same about Sora Banjo and Crash, remember that MatPat exclaimed "Put it in the game Already" in a video about Smash when talking about Geno.
If some people wants a character is ok, but if some people doesn't want it.. it's also ok!, just don't be toxic about it, try not to respond or ignore toxic comments against a character your want.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
To be honest, when I first played the game and realized that Fighter Spirits uses the original renders from its games... That was the moment I said to myself that Geno indeed, may not be the Square Rep...

But who else.
The good news is that's not entirely true! In fact, Cloud's uses his Smash Ultimate render, so it wouldn't be impossible at all for them to use a hypothetical Ultimate render for Geno as his fighter spirit.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord

But who else.

The only "other" one would be Crono, but it just feel... odd, why Nintendo/Sakurai would choose Crono over Geno, I really don't see a good explanation since, at least NoA made a lot of SMRPG references during 2018, and they pretty well know how much love does this character gets.
I really think, Geno is still in, I don't know how, I also don't know how to expect it but.. isn't that better?

If a lot of people feels its unexpected, then it's better since it adds some "surprise factor" to the character.

I'm still rooting for Geno, until a SE character gets revealed, for sure.
If this thread is in a Hiatus right now, for me it's ok.

PD: About the MatPat video, it's just a video, don't take it tooo seriously, even tho some people may think "This people who want Geno are so toxic!", they would think the same about Sora Banjo and Crash, remember that MatPat exclaimed "Put it in the game Already" in a video about Smash when talking about Geno.
If some people wants a character is ok, but if some people doesn't want it.. it's also ok!, just don't be toxic about it, try not to respond or ignore toxic comments against a character your want.
To be fair, Cloud's isn't promotional artwork, so that just opens up the possibilty for DLC fighters using new renders.

Edit: Lulz Ovaltine beat me to it.

Last edited:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
All of you discussing your wanted characters getting deconfirmed reminds me of how many of my characters are also BTFO as well.

Protoman: Too different to be an echo, yet not unique enough to warrant being a character

Probably my fault for liking "Trash" characters. Either way, kinda sucks for those five.

All I have left are ironically my two most wanted characters: Ninten and Geno. Two characters that seemingly can't get away from arguments from detractors that are almost always the same points just rehashed (Literal who, looks like Ness, irrelevant, Nintendo hates them) so I'm sorta feeling burnt out too. I've had acquaintances/friends of mine outright tell me I'm delusional for thinking either of these two even having a chance at getting into Smash and honestly, it really stings when someone you trust just outright tells you to chill out because not enough people give a crap about your character for Nintendo to even think about putting them in the game and to just be happy and accept it for what it is.

I honestly ask myself why I put up with the constant annoyance of it all. My IRL friends are amazed I haven't snapped after all the bs I've put up with since July during this speculation season. Honestly, I'm not even sure myself. I guess part of me just really wanted to get out there and discuss with people why I thought x character has a really good shot despite the odds. Hell I even made two separate powerpoints for this character just to try to show people in x's fandom to not give up hope. I guess I just really want to be a helpful asset to fandoms I care about, though oftentimes I feel like I come across as more of an annoyance than a help.

I'd honestly prefer my characters getting deconfirmed right out of the gate/before the game released than sitting through an extra year of dread then having them get deconfirmed later on. People like the Steve ****posters are also out of hand in my opinion. Mentioning Geno or Ninten outside of these boards is seemingly a death warrant, so oddly enough, this place and the Ninten thread sorta is a kind of sanctuary to an extent for me, even if I'm fairly knew to discussing on Smashboards.

I'm not throwing in the towel on Geno or Ninten yet as they both still have good arguments towards them. (Trust me on the Ninten part, he's gotta decent amount of evidence pointing towards him as well, though here is probably not the best place to discus it.) Though I certainly agree. These detractors are relentless and make me question my sanity.

"Trash character". Also know as "I don't know him/like him so It's bad you're wrong".

Like the characters you want , It's better to have oddballs pick , it give curiosity to people and more diversity to discussions than "Katalina , Steve , Luminary now shut up lol".

And yeah , some people really want other people not to get the character they want in a video game. That's too stupid to be sad tbh

And nah , you're not an annoyance. If you really were , I don't think anyone would respond to you in the first place. It's Nice seeing more positive people from time to time than "Guess Spirits deconfirms , 97% of the Smash speculation scene is dead let's just enjoy the game for what it is.".

Also , nice profile pic. Ninten is pretty badass. If only his game didn't had random encounters... That's the only problem for me lol

link2702

Smash Champion
Fatmanonice, I personally don’t care if Non-gamers/non-smash fans find it “creepy” or “weird”, I like playing the game and planned on jumping back into tournaments with ultimate.

I don’t care what they think and neither should you. This isn’t like someone going to a t-ball game, the majority of people going to these tournaments are still adults, most young adults in college yes, but still adults, far more folks in the 20+ years range still go to em, than those younger people who can’t even get a job yet and need their parents money just to enter.

FLGibsonIII

Smash Journeyman
I feel like Nintendo would have at least showcased the Geno spirit in the last direct if he was truly a hard deconfirm. They know he is about as popular as Issac or Shadow in the Smash community, why not mention him, showcase his spot in the game, and deconfirm him if you are willing to showcase and deconfirm Issac and Shadow so easily. I am not saying Geno is in, but I have to feel they considered him as a playable character at least.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Let's be real for a second folks, this isn't about Geno's chances being low anymore, but every single Square-Enix character's.

Tifa? Sephiroth? Any other FF character? Erdrick, Slime or whomever else from Dragon Quest? Chrono? Neku? Sora? Bub? Lara Croft? Even a Space Invader? None of those have may have been a guarantee from the start.

SE is apparently so complex in terms of legal structure that just getting Cloud in is nothing short of a miracle.

So it's best to pray that Nintendo has eventually managed to negotiate for an additional character, otherwise it'll be an uphill battle for anyone who supports SE series in general...

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Let's be real for a second folks, this isn't about Geno's chances being low anymore, but every single Square-Enix character's.

Tifa? Sephiroth? Any other FF character? Erdrick, Slime or whomever else from Dragon Quest? Chrono? Neku? Sora? Bub? Lara Croft? Even a Space Invader? None of those have may have been a guarantee from the start.

SE is apparently so complex in terms of legal structure that just getting Cloud in is nothing short of a miracle.

So it's best to pray that Nintendo has eventually managed to negotiate for an additional character, otherwise it'll be an uphill battle for anyone who supports SE series in general...
Geno shouldn't even BE third party in my opinion. Square hasn't and literally will not ever use Geno again without Nintendo. What point is there in holding onto Geno? Well... I mean besides greed.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
"Trash character". Also know as "I don't know him/like him so It's bad you're wrong".

Like the characters you want , It's better to have oddballs pick , it give curiosity to people and more diversity to discussions than "Katalina , Steve , Luminary now shut up lol".

And yeah , some people really want other people not to get the character they want in a video game. That's too stupid to be sad tbh

And nah , you're not an annoyance. If you really were , I don't think anyone would respond to you in the first place. It's Nice seeing more positive people from time to time than "Guess Spirits deconfirms , 97% of the Smash speculation scene is dead let's just enjoy the game for what it is.".

Also , nice profile pic. Ninten is pretty badass. If only his game didn't had random encounters... That's the only problem for me lol
Heh, thanks for the cool response.

I have a hard time deciding whether Ninten or Ness are my favorite Mother protagonist, but when it comes to being a badass, yeah I'm gonna have to go with ole Ninty. :)

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Geno shouldn't even BE third party in my opinion. Square hasn't and literally will not ever use Geno again without Nintendo. What point is there in holding onto Geno? Well... I mean besides greed.
I mean that’s probably how they drew up the business ageement to Super Mario RPG years ago. Square got all the original OCs. Any company would do what Square is doing. It’s an IP of theirs, might as well.

And if Nintendo never seriously cared enough to offer anything for Geno, which honestly is probably the reality of the situation, they’ve got no reason to get rid of the IP/even care that it exists.

It’s just business at the end of the day. And I’d wager a lot of this depends on Nintendo. I’d say that they could easily buy out the rights to most of that content if they wanted to... but that’s the thing. They have to want to and see value in making such a decision, and clearly the decision has so far been, it’s not worth it.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
I have to step in say something in regards to this:

Passion for a character absolutely does not make you a crazy old man, and you've come in with realism and, while with hope and optimism, you've not behaved as though Geno is a lock or some outwardly ridiculous statement like that. Let's be real here: a lot of us have a lot of adoration for this character. The people who are bashing you for your insight and hopes are revolting if they're going to attack you over something so pure and honest, something from the heart.

I don't like being personal, but I feel this might help to at least find some common ground? I'm not a younger person by any means. I'm 26 years old, and I don't really have much going for me in my life. I'm disabled and unable to work. I'm only able to stay holed up in my house. My free time is spent on my designing and graphic freelancing, as well as household care and... well, my personal hobbies. I have a downright pathetic existence, and I'm not saying that as to draw pity to me. I'm saying it as someone who genuinely feels disillusioned with life as a whole and doesn't have much of a mark to leave on the world. You have more beyond Smashboards, and the words of some nobodies on the internet shouldn't matter to you in the grand scheme of things. They're insignificant. They may as well be ants to you. It's blunt, but it comes from a very freaking personal place in my life to say that you have to discard needless accusations and whining from people who don't matter in the end.

Every little thing in life is something that shouldn't be taken for granted. Whether it's something as small as your love for a character in a game or something as massive as how you'll be able to survive the next week in terms of financial situation for food, it's all a part of the experience. Do what's best for you in the end, and, quite bluntly, **** whatever anyone else has to say about it. Their burdens are not for you to bear.

If you ever need someone to talk to, my lines are open, okay? I'll follow you so my PM inbox is open for you. I know how it feels to have your passions be a gateway into more intimate details of your life, and how it can shift your perspective into a negative zone. It's... rough. It's really, really rough, and I'm tearing up just writing this. Seeing all of these responses from you has touched my heart. When I signed up here, I didn't think I'd be getting into stuff like this, but I figured I'd extend my olive branch to you. Have a wonderful day today, and keep your chin up with whatever life throws at you, okay? It's cliche, I know, but you are the one in control of your own destiny, and I have faith that you will be the best you that you can be.
This is a wonderful post. I haven't had it quite as bad as you, but I sympathize with a LOT of what you're saying. And you're right:do what's best for you. I was told that a long time ago by a particular person (in almost the same phrasing, lol) and have always held fast to that belief. It's impossible to please everybody, so you can only do you.
That above quote that owjies posted is pretty much where I stand - I always felt when it comes to SE that it's between Sora and Geno (which I know was made clear in my previous post here) the rest feel like a stretch but it's not impossible. I'm thinking about how the Incineroar fans were getting a lot of hate but they were vindicated in the end, I'm hoping we can experience something similar with Geno as DLC.

I don't want to take this too far off-topic but with the mention of age-range and gaming - today is Doom's 25th birthday, and one of the creators John Romero just announced today that he's releasing an unofficial episode 5 for the original Doom. This is something that he did for fun - 9 all-new levels including 9 deathmatch levels and all of it can be downloaded and played for free. Granted, there is a special addition box set that is selling for a limited time, but the fact that he did this for fun and released it for free while he's in his 50's is pretty great. Also, why wouldn't anyone want to take advantage of being XX-years old and is still playing some games? I want to be that guy who lived to be in his 80's and still plays Contra III on hard mode, or Super Mario RPG or (hopefully) Geno in Smash Bros. I would gladly wear that title on my tombstone so people could say, "wow this guy must have been a real hoot."
This. So much this. I think we need a double like button.
Because if 30 year olds hanging around teenagers and college students is considered creepy in any other circumstance, why wouldn't it be here? It's like how high school students have no business being in T Ball leagues. This is kind of a unique problem of my generation because, with Generation X, you were pretty much told to drop video games altogether as an adult and in the late 90's this was pretty much the cultural standard.

Then, something happened. My generation grew up and we largely took away the stigma of cartoons, video games, comics, etc but we're also coming to learn that there's definitely limits. Gaming has no equivalent of "slow pitch softball" so it's a very awkward meshing. Yes, arcade pubs are booming in popularity but would older gamer leagues, especially if they were tied to specific games like Smash? That's a tall order, especially for local scenes like mine that can barely regularly make 16 man brackets for weeklies.
To a point, I get you. But it only gets awkward if you make it awkward, dude. If it's on your mind the whole time, you're gonna feel uncomfortable, and that's going to radiate outward. We often self-fulfill our own prophecies in this way.

Here's something interesting to consider: I hosted a Smash release party last Saturday. I invited everyone I knew who played Smash; this turned out to be a range of people of many ages, including two teens and a guy in his mid thirties. They all came, and we played Smash. And then Super Mario Party. And dammit, we had fun. Nothing was awkward, or forced. The teens weren't muttering under their breath how weird or awkward it was. In fact, one of them even told me after just how much fun it really was to him. We may have been different ages, but when we played games together, we were all the same.

Another example: when Smash 4 was releasing, I went to Best Buy to demo it. I didn't have anyone to go with, or talk to about it. While waiting in line to play, I ended up talking to a couple kids about the roster and so forth, just completely out of the blue. And the thing is, they initiated the conversation, and kept it going.

Here's the thing: the perceived awkwardness you're feeling? That's in your head. The kids and teens that are your fellow Smash and Nintendo fans actually don't care how old you are--because they're just as into this stuff as you are. I'm constantly surprised by just how easily video games bridge age gaps. You just have to let go of preconceptions and relax into it.

That's hard to do when people are bearing down on you, sure. And I'm sorry if people have been doing that to you. I have nothing but respect for you, Fatman, and it blows my mind that anyone could have anything against you. But all you have to do is ignore those people, and focus on the ones sending positivity your way. The ones who accept you.

Like us Genobros.:) As Ovaltine Ovaltine said, we're here with you, whatever goes down.

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
Hey everyone, I've decided to stop being a serial lurker and make an account (and my first post).

The concept of Geno getting in Smash and thus revived as a character would be like K. Rool's revival on steroids (at least K. Rool had an ingame 3D model in the form of a trophy). I've always been a huge fan of Super Mario RPG and have always found it criminal that so many cool quirky characters only appeared once to never be seen again (Axem Rangers boss plz). Either way, count me in as a strong Geno advocate! I also recently made a lo-fi hiphop remix of 'Beware the Forest Mushrooms' for those of you who like that genre and fancy checking it out, which can be accessed here.

Also for the record, I've seen many people previously mention that Geno is 'irrelevant' in Europe due to the game not releasing on PAL SNES consoles. That said, on an anecdotal level at least, many of my gaming friends were well aware of Geno, either through Wii virtual console, forums, or the 'Rawest Forest' song from 'Newgrounds' (this was my first exposure to him at least lmao).

Anyway, I'd love to join you guys. Keep the good vibes going, I have confidence Geno has a 50/50 chance of making DLC and did my bit voting in the ballot in 2015 ;D.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Huh...So Game Theory’s latest video went into a discussion (in part) on the toxic fanbase(s) of Smash, and used the Geno base as the generalized scapegoat.

I know every fanbase has got its fair share of bad eggs, but I guess I always felt we generally were a more chill group of fans than ones you’d find in other corners of the internet. So it surprised me that we kinda got singled out in that way.

*shrug*, or maybe I’m just ignorant.
No, you’re not ignorant, Game Theory comes off to me as a jerk sometimes and I barely watch him and I also stopped watching ProJared’s gameplay of SMRPG because every chance he got, he always berated and mocked both Geno and Mallow till the point it got repetitive and annoying. :mad088:

Last edited:

Xigger

Smash Lord
Where is he in WoL? I'm trying to get through it quickly so skipping a lot. I'm in the Triforce of Courage section of WoD. Already completed Power.
He's in the space section, to the very left of Galeem. You have to climb the ice mountain and pilot the Great Fox with the R.O.B. 64 spirit. It's very fitting how he's in the very back, and the closest spirit to Galeem as well.

D

Deleted member

I'd honestly prefer my characters getting deconfirmed right out of the gate/before the game released than sitting through an extra year of dread then having them get deconfirmed later on. People like the Steve ****posters are also out of hand in my opinion. Mentioning Geno or Ninten outside of these boards is seemingly a death warrant, so oddly enough, this place and the Ninten thread sorta is a kind of sanctuary to an extent for me, even if I'm fairly new to discussing on Smashboards.

An essay that I want to read :) I can definitely relate. Geno and Ninten are also my two most wanted, and they are the kind of characters that aren't seen as important, when they really are.

I just need them in

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
I also stopped watching ProJared’s gameplay of SMRPG because every chance he got, he always berated and mocked both Geno and Mallow till the point it got repetitive and annoying. :mad088:
Wow...Seriously?

My goodness, what did we ever do to the Smash community to get that kind of reaction from people?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

I feel your pain man. Klonoa feels like such a pipe dream at times, although to his credit Heihachi is out of the running since Incineroar has been Ishizuka's final role before his unfortunate passing. We still don't know whether a lack of spirit deconfirms anyone, either.

The best thing to happen for all of us is if a second pass gets approved later on. Luckily Ultimate has become the fastest-selling entry in the franchise so far, so this may help in that regard.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I got Geno's spirit today; the battle was annoying, though not as frustrating as Dr. Wily, Victini, or Pauline were. I'm glad to see him in the game in some form, and the way I see it, the fact that his Mii costume isn't in is a good sign. (I figure the main thing that confirms that a character won't be playable is if they're an assist trophy or have a Mii costume while they aren't already playable)

MattX20

Smash Hero
I still have a little faith in Geno, but we shall see when the Square rep is shown off.

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
I don’t know guys, I just remember the Kuttthroats and Space Pirates being right where we are now, if not worse, and they had a happy ending. I’ve supported this guy in some way since Brawl, and I ain’t giving up now.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
That's so weird, I always thought he liked them.
I don't watch him much, but from what I have heard he often has a "It's popular, now it sucks!" mindset about a lot of things. So that could possibly be a reason. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Yeah, I've actually been watching Jared's SMRPG playthrough all.

While I, personally, have been finding it quite fun and enjoying to watch the entire thing so far, it is a bit annoying that he usually dissses on/just generally dislikes Mallow (for some reason :/), and finds Geno as an uninteresting character and doesn't get how he has massive appeal (his guess I think was the fact that he has the ultra OP Geno Whirl).

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Finally got the components to summon up our boi.

View attachment 182472

It's a bittersweet accomplishment until we get a yay/nay on his DLC inclusion, but for now it's good to have this at least.

You all fight his spirit yet? Apparently it's one of the harder event battles so I just lucked into the components to get him quick.
STAHP!

Yup, this is once again another evidence in favor of Geno’s popularity.

A character from a twenty-two year old game is a LEGENDARY spirit... This is gonna be a long wait.

DIY

Smash Apprentice
Not quite related to Geno per se, but Vergeben just commented something regarding the SE rep. He said that because of the leaked picture of the characters that got out, people actually got fired. Yikes!

LemurExpress

Smash Rookie
Not quite related to Geno per se, but Vergeben just commented something regarding the SE rep. He said that because of the leaked picture of the characters that got out, people actually got fired. Yikes!
I think Vergeben was referring to KronoXIV leaking something FFXIV related.

Krooli

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
3332 7619 1413
I think Vergeben was referring to KronoXIV leaking something FFXIV related.
Okay I’m terrible with roman numerals so FFXIV might be a game already released or unreleased but is it FFXIV in smash or something unrelated? cause one of those two things could be heartbreaking

Gum-Gum Smash

Smash Apprentice
Today was my birthday and when people asked about my candle wish, I told them I wanted Geno to make it lol

Also

I mean... I'm just processing a lot. I respect the hell out of guys like you, psycho, KCchief, etc that have supported not only this fanbase but me over the years. I'm just trying to not get really, really depressed because I'm being hit with a lot at once:

-This narrative that I've seen here and elsewhere that I'm unreliable and a liar despite me backing up my statements and noting when things are my own speculation. I'm being seen as a crazy old man despite my statements on the insider front not even being my own and that cuts deep. Basically my worst fears on these forums are being realized.

-I'm a little disillusioned with Smash Ultimate. Despite all the content, it's still currently only 4 new stages and 5 completely new characters and, 14 months from now, this will still be less than the original N64 game. Gameplay wise, it's still a little too similar to Smash 4 but it's faster. The characters I played in Smash 4 largely feel the same aside from some tweaks.

-I'm 31 and I have no business seriously competing anymore. I was mostly surrounded by high schoolers and college students in Smash 4 to begin with and the age gap continues to grow. I love this series but it's simply inappropriate to for me to participate in live tournaments anymore.

-Coming to terms with the fact that I'm past my prime and wasn't able to seriously compete with Geno. I wanted to be a Geno main and represent him at tournaments as far back as when I was 12 but a 31 year old doing this is a little too on the nose. It's about as subtle as inviting someone to **** your wife. I joke that I faceplant into the Boomer stereotype but I certainly don't want to be a parade float for it.

-The influx of people coming in here to either tell us that Geno's not coming or any above rock bottom is too optimistic. Like, we get it... As I bemoaned the other week, aside from maybe Toad and Dixie, we know disappointment more than any other Smash fanbase. It's in our DNA and a large part of the narrative. The fact that people are going out of their way to remind us of this, even making brand new accounts and bouncing, flat out sucks. We're continuously on the defensive in this thread and it's exhausting because no matter what you say, people won't care. It's incredibly rude but, again, people don't care. They're not invested. They just want to get their jabs in and bounce so it all circles back to being moot.

-Even looking at posts from long standing Ridley and K. Rool fans, I can see twinges of regret, not for the character itself but for how much time they spent advocating for them. Dedicating years of their lives for something that's just kind of neat in the end and that's about it. Your favorite character is now playable in one game and... That's it. People can argue it's the journey not the destination but I'm seeing a lot of people just flat out leave and the handful of people who have stuck around are barely involved anymore. Once a character gets in, what do you do then? Like I said, I'm now too old to compete so what would my purpose in the Smash community even be anymore? I think a lot of leading people in character fanbases have struggled with this and, again, just opt out to leave instead of figuratively regularly revisiting their old high school after they graduated. Like I said yesterday, if you aren't suit and tie at a certain point, you should probably **** off and invest in something else.

So, I think that covers everything. Again, I've been here forever so I feel like you all had the right to know because I see a lot of people are genuinely distressed by it. I'm touched you all care to the degree that you do. As a community that's awesome and you all are supreme lads and comrades but I'll probably be less involved from this point forward. Not totally pulling out and not trying to figure out which razor blades compliment which bath bombs but struggling with determining the next step and my place in the overarching Smash community beyond Geno.
I don't know everything that is going on, and I won't lie. I'm kinda skimming at the moment because I'm out, so I'm just going off of what's in your message real quick. Fatmannonice, I know you don't know me that much, but I wanted to say this. Your a really cool dude, and if you need time away, that's okay!

If anyone has accused you of lying or being unreliable, then they are strait up just hating to hate. You don't deserve that, at all, and just realize there's always going to be people that come and go, or try to bring you down. No matter the situation or the way you handle it, this will always be the case. You've done nothing wrong, so don't think that for a second.

If your disappointed with the game and lack of new content, there's nothing wrong with wanting to express how you feel. Never feel bad about expressing yourself or opinions. (I'm not saying that you are, it's just something I wanted you to know.)

I don't agree with stopping competitive play just because your old. Or supporting a character. You should be playing for one reason only, your love for video games and Smash. And there's nothing wrong with that. If you still enjoy what your doing, and only stop because your "to old" then that shows insecurity in a way. (I'm not saying you, I'm just saying in general)

HOWEVER, I respect and understand what your saying, and if that's the choice you want to make. Then I, and everyone else, should support you and your decision. Your a really cool dude, and I want you to know you need to do whatever it is you feel is best for you.

Ridley and K. Rool would have never made it if people didn't try. If those people are run out, and unhappy, then they were supporting those characters for the wrong reasons. And maybe taking it a bit to seriously. (I'm sure of which we've all done at some point most likely.) I've wanted Ridley and K. Rool for over a decade, and couldn't be more happy they finally made it. Along with everyone else that's in the game. I obviously can't speak for everyone though.

Supporting a character, playing a video game, enjoying Smash. Anything in life. It should come from a place of passion, not something you feel you have to do.

I do completely understand what your saying though. As I stated, I will, and everyone else should, support whatever your decision is at the end of the day. If you ever need someone to talk to, I'm here for you as well as others man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom