• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

link2702

Smash Champion
Probably a little late here, but provided they don’t do a smash 64 throwback for his trailer, the other night I thought of one where this mysterious voice chimes in that goes on about how the spirits battle/story went, but how they feel you (the player) might need some more help with a new looming threat, followed by some cutscenes showing another new story mode. Finally at the end the voice says something along the lines of “i’d tell you my name, but it’s a bit hard to pronounce so...call me Geno after the doll” and you quickly see the geno whirl move tear the screen revealing the date of his release plus the new story mode.

I’d still prefer the smash 64 throwback, but I feel like this one would catch everyone off guard till the end, where smrpg and geno fans immediately recognize who the voice belonged to.

It’d be a great way to show off how his voice would sound, a great way to reveal a new story expansion, and a great way to hype geno fans up after waiting so long.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I mainly lurk threads since I scroll during work, but I wanted to tell everyone not to give up. I've been a Geno supporter since the Brawl days and there's nothing quite like seeing the support he's gotten over the years. From nothing to a costume to a Legendary Spirit, he's slowly being pushed more and more into the spotlight and I think that only bodes well for the future.

RSF-Blue bomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lethlintejection
3DS FC
5069-3977-0380
I mainly lurk threads since I scroll during work, but I wanted to tell everyone not to give up. I've been a Geno supporter since the Brawl days and there's nothing quite like seeing the support he's gotten over the years. From nothing to a costume to a Legendary Spirit, he's slowly being pushed more and more into the spotlight and I think that only bodes well for the future.
Which is why we must press on. If by some bs that he doesn't get into smash we can atleast get him to comeback into Mario games

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
I think the DLC timetable will probably be every few months or so. Here's a figurative timetable to illustrate:

Piranha Plant - Late January/February
Joker - Late April/May
E3 Reveal - Surprise drop immediately following
E3 Reveal 2 - August
September Direct - Mid-October
Game Awards 2019 - Late January/February to come full circle.

As for characters, I've got no clue. But that's something I could see happening. Ideally, Geno is the E3 Reveal that would come out the same day, but I'm cool with whatever, as long as he ends up in there.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Did you guys ever talk about this leak? If so, sorry I missed it. I'm all for Team Geno, still holding on for his second coming!

https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/440346534/
A literal nothing leak as far as Geno is concerned.

Just piggybacking off verg.

"I don't know the Square rep but I heard some names"

Yeah, pretty much what everyone says.

Verg's heard 7 names. This guy heard 2. One that no one else agrees with

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Exactly, which is why I said to not take my post about that seriously, because it's definitely more of a reach. Something to store away in mind for later, but definitely not something to take as gospel. It's interesting to note, but it's just that.

I will say, though, that knowing about Shadow or Incineroar, non-Square entities, is pretty different from knowing about Square entities. Of course, though, you're more likely right that he's throwing stuff out there to keep things under wraps.

(Also, you're definitely one of the more level-headed people in this thread, so kudos!)
I think it would be unwise to automatically assume Geno is in just because Jon thinks he’ll be. However it is noteworthy all the same considering his track record. And the thing is it’s not happening in a vacuum. There’s also Polar’s Nintendo source on top of the Nintendo tweet, the artist comment from several years ago, SMRPG on the SNES, and most recently the HQ question. If each of these events happened independently without the others I think it’s be fair to write them off as anything but significant. The thing is though that they aren’t happening independently in a vacuum and when you put all of these things together it’s really hard to ignore that Geno for whatever reason is being namedropped by people who work for Nintendo or clearly have an in with Nintendo and Nintendo themselves in an official fashion. So yeah Jon and the NoA guy may be completely wrong. But that doesn’t change the blatant things on Nintendo’s side. It may be for Smash or it may not be for Smash but I’m not ashamed to put on my tinfoil hat and say something is definitely in the works for Geno. Either that or God/the Universe is ****ing with us.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I think it would be unwise to automatically assume Geno is in just because Jon thinks he’ll be. However it is noteworthy all the same considering his track record. And the thing is it’s not happening in a vacuum. There’s also Polar’s Nintendo source on top of the Nintendo tweet, the artist comment from several years ago, SMRPG on the SNES, and most recently the HQ question. If each of these events happened independently without the others I think it’s be fair to write them off as anything but significant. The thing is though that they aren’t happening independently in a vacuum and when you put all of these things together it’s really hard to ignore that Geno for whatever reason is being namedropped by people who work for Nintendo or clearly have an in with Nintendo and Nintendo themselves in an official fashion. So yeah Jon and the NoA guy may be completely wrong. But that doesn’t change the blatant things on Nintendo’s side. It may be for Smash or it may not be for Smash but I’m not ashamed to put on my tinfoil hat and say something is definitely in the works for Geno. Either that or God/the Universe is ****ing with us.
I will say this:

My hopes for Geno in Smash are low and very much tempered, but in terms of him making a return one day, I am actually extremely hopeful. The amount of attention Nintendo has been giving him due to fan demand says a lot, and the fact that Alphadream wants to use Geno and Mallow is also telling.

Another tinfoil hat theory: does anyone else find it odd that we've just been getting ports from Alphadream lately? We got Superstar Saga and now, Bowser's Inside Story. Think of how Zelda was handled. Breath of the Wild was an ambitious game for the fans who really wanted an open world Zelda. It was going to take time to come out, so in the meantime, they filled the gaps with two ports: Twilight Princess HD and Wind Waker HD. Ports, even ports with extra content and redone graphics (like SSS and BiS), don't take nearly as much effort as a full game, so they were made by the same teams to fill the gaps between Skyward Sword and Breath of the Wild.

It's just hopeful thinking and without any evidence behind, so please, PLEASE do not take this seriously or get your hopes high. Keep everything realistic. That being said, though... maybe there is a reason for getting two fan favorite, easy ports.

Maybe...

Alphadream wants to make our dreams come true, and it's just taking a while longer than anticipated. It would also explain why Geno's cameo is removed from the SSS port. Why spend the extra money to readd his cameo when we're just getting a remake or pseudo-M&L sequel to Super Mario RPG, anyway? It makes little sense to spend that much money on a port... when they could have better reason to use Geno's (and Mallow's) licenses for something bigger.

(Again, I have to say, PLEASE don't take this seriously or as anything beyond mindless speculation that is an admitted reach.)

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
You know...

I just realized something.

Vergeben, in one of his posts in that topic, outright claimed that GameXplain is aware of who the Square rep is, or whether or not they're even coming.

Jon got that FF7/FF9/FF10 Switch port right, showing he has some insider knowledge via Square, and he's extremely positive that Geno will be DLC.

Hmmmm...

(This is my most tinfoil hat post ever, don't take it seriously haha.)

ETA: Also, a user said this before Vergeben's post:

"if there is a SE char NAME THEM and dont give this BS about protecting your source some one leaked a entire FF14 expansion pack and no one got fired "

He is definitely not referring to the SE list, but the FFXIV leak and whether or not people got fired over it.
No actually I think this last chunk proves that he’s talking about the SE list, because, even though it’s gramatically evrywhere, he’s telling Vergeben to tell us the SE character because someon leaked FFXIV and no one got fired.

The Geno spirit is so weird to me... I still think It's a weird "consolation prize". They could have show him anywhere in the 1st november direct , but they chosed an online sub-mode as a token icon (with 200+ icons and 74 characters) below the character who can see the future... Sakurai NEVER dropped hint before , except the "climax" hint right before Bayo's reveal.
But still , that's such a weird way to do it.

I can't help it but find all of this... Weird.

And take in considerations all the little things like the SMRPG tweet , the trivia question , SMRPG third re-release... It's like an accumulation of coincidences. But , call me crazy , but that look like more like a pattern... As to what this pattern is saying... I don't know.

It's still SE , getting any content in base game that wasn't Cloud is impressive.
And seeing how SE treated Smash Bros... I think they don't realize what a new life Smash Bros can give to these characters... They could pick anyone and make him way more popular... And they haven't done anything to push Cloud a little bit more , or even FF as a whole. Sprites of FF games were enough for spirits...

On another topic , I dunno if it was posted before , but listen to this arrangement !

Perhaps they were trying to test the waters on his popularity to see if he could be a viable choice in Smash?

Hey guys, the new Sakurai Famitsu article has come out, and it has this little tidbit.
"On the next Smash game: “It’d be fine if there wasn’t another one for about 10 years, don’t you think?” (laughs)"
To me at least, that just screams a lengthy DLC run.
https://nintendoeverything.com/saku...h-bros-ultimates-development-length-and-more/
I don’t think so. To me that screams “let me make these last 5 characters and take the longest break ever lol.

However the article said development began February 2016, that’s only about two months from the Geno Mii costume announce video...I wonder if Geno was on Sakurai’s mind at the time...

Xigger

Smash Lord
The Geno spirit is so weird to me... I still think It's a weird "consolation prize". They could have show him anywhere in the 1st november direct , but they chosed an online sub-mode as a token icon (with 200+ icons and 74 characters) below the character who can see the future... Sakurai NEVER dropped hint before , except the "climax" hint right before Bayo's reveal.
But still , that's such a weird way to do it.

I can't help it but find all of this... Weird.

And take in considerations all the little things like the SMRPG tweet , the trivia question , SMRPG third re-release... It's like an accumulation of coincidences. But , call me crazy , but that look like more like a pattern... As to what this pattern is saying... I don't know.
Sakurai's always been a bit of a jokester when it comes to dropping hints for future characters. I would love to see a compilation of all his dropped hints that came true (climax, red eye, etc.)

As for the "patterns", while it could be for marketing or tinfoil-hat reasons, the most realistic/optimistic viewpoint is that Geno for Smash is mainstream. Geno is arguably the new Ridley when it comes to unlikely fan-wanted characters, so Geno and SMRPG is showing up in more places.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I will say this:

My hopes for Geno in Smash are low and very much tempered, but in terms of him making a return one day, I am actually extremely hopeful. The amount of attention Nintendo has been giving him due to fan demand says a lot, and the fact that Alphadream wants to use Geno and Mallow is also telling.

Another tinfoil hat theory: does anyone else find it odd that we've just been getting ports from Alphadream lately? We got Superstar Saga and now, Bowser's Inside Story. Think of how Zelda was handled. Breath of the Wild was an ambitious game for the fans who really wanted an open world Zelda. It was going to take time to come out, so in the meantime, they filled the gaps with two ports: Twilight Princess HD and Wind Waker HD. Ports, even ports with extra content and redone graphics (like SSS and BiS), don't take nearly as much effort as a full game, so they were made by the same teams to fill the gaps between Skyward Sword and Breath of the Wild.

It's just hopeful thinking and without any evidence behind, so please, PLEASE do not take this seriously or get your hopes high. Keep everything realistic. That being said, though... maybe there is a reason for getting two fan favorite, easy ports.

Maybe...

Alphadream wants to make our dreams come true, and it's just taking a while longer than anticipated. It would also explain why Geno's cameo is removed from the SSS port. Why spend the extra money to readd his cameo when we're just getting a remake or pseudo-M&L sequel to Super Mario RPG, anyway? It makes little sense to spend that much money on a port... when they could have better reason to use Geno's (and Mallow's) licenses for something bigger.

(Again, I have to say, PLEASE don't take this seriously or as anything beyond mindless speculation that is an admitted reach.)
...Oh my. I love me a good tin foil hat theory.

link2702

Smash Champion
I really hope this isn’t the case, but one thing that has crossed my mind is what if all the attention Nintendo has been bringing to geno/smrpg, literally means nothing. They just for whatever reason have randomly been talking about geno and nothing more.

Another scenario that crosses my mind though from time to time that actually makes nintendo and sakurai pretty awesome, is that maybe they are fighting tooth and nail to get geno in, and are trying to convince square that he’s got the fan demand to be worth it. Of course square could just still say no, but least it would show Nintendo and sakurai tried.

Preferably I’m hoping the second scenario...just with geno playable obviously.

Of course we’ll never know if either is what is happening because Nintendo would never reveal that type of information, for them to basically call out square and say something like “we’re sorry geno fans we tried but square said no” would greatly damage relations with them, which they definitely don’t want as they’re getting ff7 among others on switch.

D

Deleted member

I really hope this isn’t the case, but one thing that has crossed my mind is what if all the attention Nintendo has been bringing to geno/smrpg, literally means nothing. They just for whatever reason have randomly been talking about geno and nothing more.

Another scenario that crosses my mind though from time to time that actually makes nintendo and sakurai pretty awesome, is that maybe they are fighting tooth and nail to get geno in, and are trying to convince square that he’s got the fan demand to be worth it. Of course square could just still say no, but least it would show Nintendo and sakurai tried.

Preferably I’m hoping the second scenario...just with geno playable obviously.

Of course we’ll never know if either is what is happening because Nintendo would never reveal that type of information, for them to basically call out square and say something like “we’re sorry geno fans we tried but square said no” would greatly damage relations with them, which they definitely don’t want as they’re getting ff7 among others on switch.
> Tweet on 22nd anniversary and not 20th
> Nintendo paying HQ to advertise a 22 year old side character with one major video game appearance who they don't even own
> This means nothing
This ain't it chief

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
> Nintendo paying HQ to advertise a 22 year old side character with one major video game appearance who they don't even own
> This means nothing
This ain't it chief
I mean, it's not like Nintendo hasn't done things in the past that make no sense (or else amount to nothing).

Not that I'm down on Geno's chances, but it's worth keeping in mind.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
So not that it's gonna have a new DLC character or anything but...

When do you guys think the next Nintendo Direct will be?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
So not that it's gonna have a new DLC character or anything but...

When do you guys think the next Nintendo Direct will be?
January/February

AT THE VERY LEAST because Nintendo need to unveil the new generation of Pokémon for 2019.
Metroid Prime 4 and Collection (which is still 100% happening)
Fire Emblem Threehouses
Multiple Game planned for 2019.
And Piranha Plants's releases date + Joker News

Last edited:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
January/February

AT THE VERY LEAST because Nintendo need to unveil the new generation of Pokémon for 2019.
Metroid Prime 4 and Collection (which is still 100% happening)
Fire Emblem Threehouses
Multiple Game planned for 2019.
And Piranha Plants's releases date + Joker News
Hmm. Wondering if there's gonna be a Spring one as well. And true on the Pokemon games. We know literally nothing about them.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Hey; if anyone still want's to talk to matpat for whatever reason about Geno; he's got a followup live stream going on right now, and he's discussing the smash theory. I assume if you wanted to super chat him about it; you could. Just don't reinforce stereotypes or anything lol.

GrungeMan

Smash Apprentice
Speaking of spirit battles, what were the hardest ones to complete for you? For me it was the Jeff one. I used DK with a Franklin Badge to get him, and now that I think about it, a lot if spirit battles I couldn't beat before were beaten easily when I switched to DK.
Geno's spirit was my first legendary (his match took me maybe 1.5-2hrs - it was rough) and acquiring him made the difficulty of adventure mode drastically easier. Like infinitely easier.

Before Geno... Dr. Wily, 9-Volt, and The Boss were IMPOSSIBLE (I somehow found my way to the Metal Gear sub-world early on). After Geno, everything was essentially a breeze. I maxed him out to lvl 99 and equipped Slippy Toad and some weird hagfish thing. They both make you metal and giant respectively. I used that set-up for that vast majority of the game and completed most matches in 2-3 smash attacks with Diddy. I mostly ignored the spirit disadvantages when running into defense spirits, but if I needed to switch out Geno I typically used Skull Kid/Majora and the necessary stamina/immunity supports (even then, I sometimes skipped the immunity supports sometimes...).

Honestly, Geno made the game go from hair pulling frustration to an enjoyable collect-a-thon!

Good guy, Geno haha

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I've been playing TONS of World of Light. Right now I only have about 18 more characters left to unlock. I'm just blasting through WoL right now. My team of spirits is made up of Geno, Victini and Star Rod, and the character I'm using is Donkey Kong. Using this team saw the result of spirit battles ending in seconds.

Speaking of spirit battles, what were the hardest ones to complete for you? For me it was the Jeff one. I used DK with a Franklin Badge to get him, and now that I think about it, a lot if spirit battles I couldn't beat before were beaten easily when I switched to DK.
I was JUST able to beat Viridi. That Wii Fit Tree Pose one is the next one I can't seem to beat.

link2702

Smash Champion
> This means nothing
This ain't it chief
Hey man this is nintendo we’re talking about here, like bardbowman said, they’ve done baffling things before. Trust me I’d much rather it be scenerio 2 with geno being playable, but we gotta remember that sometimes Nintendo does stuff that just doesn’t seem to make sense.

Edit:
Hey; if anyone still want's to talk to matpat for whatever reason about Geno; he's got a followup live stream going on right now, and he's discussing the smash theory. I assume if you wanted to super chat him about it; you could. Just don't reinforce stereotypes or anything lol.
Mattpatt is basically dead to me now. I unsubscribed to both film theory and game theory.

Tbh, I didn’t find him all that great anymore around the time he got pushed into the fnaf craze of theories. And now especially since it’s all about pushing his merchandise. I do miss the days of him having interesting stuff like the links hookshot theory, or the ness is sans theory(controversial as that one was), as those he at least put some effort into. But now it doesn’t really feel that way anymore.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
Edit: sry I didn’t mean to dbl post... I thought someone else posted after my last...

Last edited:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Mattpatt is basically dead to me now. I unsubscribed to both film theory and game theory.

Tbh, I didn’t find him all that great anymore around the time he got pushed into the fnaf craze of theories. And now especially since it’s all about pushing his merchandise. I do miss the days of him having interesting stuff like the links hookshot theory, or the ness is sans theory(controversial as that one was), as those he at least put some effort into. But now it doesn’t really feel that way anymore.
Oddly enough, I actually liked his FNAF videos for the most part.

However Sans is Ness killed my soul, and how he kept defending that theory and not properly taking criticism made me no longer wish to support him.

And from what I've heard, he's not much better now...

"LC"_Lapen

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 6950 2675 8190
Has anyone found Ninten's spirit yet?
Sure have.

20181211_172835 (2).jpg

My other Legend spirits not pictured are Wolf Link & Midna, Geno, Super Baby Mario, Mother Brain 2nd Form and Andross Final Form; they're either already maxxed or busy doing stuff.

"LC"_Lapen

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 6950 2675 8190
I've been waiting soooooo long to see this. Thanks! Who was it equipped to in the spirit battle?
Truth be told, I got him in the Spirit Board pretty early that I don't remember the specifics. I know that the main fighter was a freaking powerful Ness, I'm pretty sure.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Hey guys, the new Sakurai Famitsu article has come out, and it has this little tidbit.
"On the next Smash game: “It’d be fine if there wasn’t another one for about 10 years, don’t you think?” (laughs)"
To me at least, that just screams a lengthy DLC run.
https://nintendoeverything.com/saku...h-bros-ultimates-development-length-and-more/
It doesn't really scream that at all to me. The Switch just came out and is successful so there won't be a new platform for a new Smash game for a while. He made Ultimate with the exact purpose of being the full Smash experience up until this point , so I'd imagine he's not in a hurry to deal with what the future might hold in terms of a brand new game. Plus as much as he jokes about it, he has worked on nothing but Smash since 2012, and by the end of DLC Wave 1 that'll have been 8 years straight. I think there's a lot to say, don't expect another Smash game for a while without even considering a Wave 2 of DLC. It's just going to come down to how this DLC cycle performs (And I imagine people NOT buying DLC for not including specific characters only hurts the chances of that) and how he feels at the end of the cycle.

I will say this:

Maybe...

I'm going to have to say the way Nintendo has handled Mario RPGs inspires exactly zero confidence in me as to their future as a whole. They've managed to run Paper Mario completely into the ground (I guess Color Splash was an improvement...) and Mario and Luigi had generally been on a downward trend as well following Bowser's Inside Story. I see the remakes from Alphadream as just a continued cash-in for such little effort. They don't seem to care about Mario RPGs at all and they were very clear about being up front with the Zelda remakes as bridging the gap until BOTW was ready.

Remakes and re-releases have just been the latest wave of Nintendo's business strategy. And not even remakes of really all that old material, they've heavily focused on re-releases of the DS/Wii/Wii U era, and that's a little disappointing considering the wealth of great titles they could pull from earlier eras. It'd be awesome man, but Nintendo hasn't done much to convince they care enough to make a good Mario RPG game, let alone something as ambitious as a Super Mario RPG related game...

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I'm going to have to say the way Nintendo has handled Mario RPGs inspires exactly zero confidence in me as to their future as a whole. They've managed to run Paper Mario completely into the ground (I guess Color Splash was an improvement...) and Mario and Luigi had generally been on a downward trend as well following Bowser's Inside Story. I see the remakes from Alphadream as just a continued cash-in for such little effort. They don't seem to care about Mario RPGs at all and they were very clear about being up front with the Zelda remakes as bridging the gap until BOTW was ready.

Remakes and re-releases have just been the latest wave of Nintendo's business strategy. And not even remakes of really all that old material, they've heavily focused on re-releases of the DS/Wii/Wii U era, and that's a little disappointing considering the wealth of great titles they could pull from earlier eras. It'd be awesome man, but Nintendo hasn't done much to convince they care enough to make a good Mario RPG game, let alone something as ambitious as a Super Mario RPG related game...
Gah, yeah, poor Paper Mario especially. The M&L games have at least been decent at worst, but Paper Mario hit such an all-time low with Sticker Star and, to a lesser extent, Color Splash. You're right about the upfront behavior about the Zelda remakes, too. I just hadn't remembered that when I made the post haha.

That being said, I can only hope that, with the Switch and new presidency in Nintendo, that they'll pick up the pieces from here, but I totally understand the loss of hope and confidence.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Gah, yeah, poor Paper Mario especially. The M&L games have at least been decent at worst, but Paper Mario hit such an all-time low with Sticker Star and, to a lesser extent, Color Splash. You're right about the upfront behavior about the Zelda remakes, too. I just hadn't remembered that when I made the post haha.

That being said, I can only hope that, with the Switch and new presidency in Nintendo, that they'll pick up the pieces from here, but I totally understand the loss of hope and confidence.
Yeah, I'm all for a Super Mario RPG remake. It just seems unlikely to me given the state of Mario RPGs as a whole, and exactly nothing has inspired me in terms of them having an interest in returning to that game.

The actual best news for us ever would be a Super Mario RPG announcement in a Nintendo Direct though. Even just a 3DS remake might be just the push we'd need to really get Geno in (Though it would ironically make him a "shill" pick)

Burr.

Smash Cadet
S'been a while since i posted here but uh
wh a t did i mi s s?
the likely hood for Geno i feel is dwindling a bit though,mostly with Reggie saying all the smash dlc will be new to the series and i don't know if spirits count as being already in the series thus disqualified for DLC
like it's gotten to the point where i feel sans might be in the game and that's b a d

FurretBro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FurretBro
A literal nothing leak as far as Geno is concerned.

Just piggybacking off verg.

"I don't know the Square rep but I heard some names"

Yeah, pretty much what everyone says.

Verg's heard 7 names. This guy heard 2. One that no one else agrees with
That and Reggie's quote. Maybe even Banjo's name if we want to go that far.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
If Banjo get's in; I think he'd actually MAJORLY help Geno's chances. And I have about 70% confidence that they're next. If you're following the old Banjo team; some strange things are going on.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Now that I think about it... Geno is the only icon from a Mario RPG.

No Fawful , no Paper Mario , no princess shroob , no Dimentio... Despise all of them having Spirits.(I may be wrong tho)

I know It's because of Geno for Smash , but if they could make evil Dr. Kawashima an icon , why not one other Mario RPG character? I Hope they add more in the future.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
what's happening with Banjo?
No clue. I'd say he's fairly likely, but I myself am interested in all these supposed weird happenings myself.

Now that I think about it... Geno is the only icon from a Mario RPG.

No Fawful , no Paper Mario , no princess shroob , no Dimentio... Despise all of them having Spirits.(I may be wrong tho)

I know It's because of Geno for Smash , but if they could make evil Dr. Kawashima an icon , why not one other Mario RPG character? I Hope they add more in the future.
I think Paper Mario has one too but I'm not positive. Side note, Ninten and EVE are the only true Mother 1 spirits with icons which is also odd.

D

Deleted member

the likely hood for Geno i feel is dwindling a bit though,mostly with Reggie saying all the smash dlc will be new to the series and i don't know if spirits count as being already in the series thus disqualified for DLC
I'm pretty sure he was referring to the fact the old Smash characters won't be in the DLC, since they're all already here. after all, this is the VGAs we're talking about here and not everyone watching may be super passionate about Nintendo (there were people in the livechats of some of the streams unironically asking for Minecraft 2 and Fortnite 2) so they might not have picked up on the whole "everyone is here" thing quite yet.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Hey, all. I haven't really been keeping up with this thread much as I've been dedicating quite literally all my free time lately to playing Ultimate, and I gotta say it's a blast. Completely blows Smash 4 out of the water in every way, in my book. Whether we get Geno by the end of all this or not, I must say I'm immensely satisfied with the product we got.

I'm not quite sure how we're all feeling regarding Geno's chances, but I'm just gonna throw it out there that even if his chances peaked with the base roster in my eyes, I'm not giving up on Geno until we see that SE rep at the end of the tunnel. A SE character of some kind is all but guaranteed by this point, and the absolute dearth of SMRPG content in the game as is will never not be suspicious to me. That said, if we do get BTFO'd yet again, I'm not sure I'll be able to bring myself to stick around next time. Simply put, the speculation game is a stressful one, what with all these divergent fanbases competing for their chance in the spotlight, and I'm not gonna keep playing much longer, not even for the only character I've ever really wanted to see get in. As much as I hate to say it, it really feels like this is Geno's last chance bar the possibility of a full-scale revival of SMRPG as a series, and frankly, the only way I see myself definitely coming back for another round of speculation is if Nintendo explicitly reaches out to the fans again a la the Smash Ballot, in which case we all need to do our part and make sure Nintendo knows we're not dead.

Don't take that as me giving up on Geno now, though; I am still feeling good about things going forward, and I believe that Geno's still the frontrunner in the Legend of the Seven Squares™ by default due to the legal and logistical gymnastics necessitated by everyone else in the race. Call me crazy, but I severely doubt the higher-ups at Nintendo have no idea how widely requested Geno is (especially given that they presumably still have the results of the Smash Ballot in their possession), and if Sakurai really knew there were no plans for him, I seriously feel we would have gotten an AT in the base game, or a recycled Mii Costume, or at least a few tunes from SMRPG considering Yoko's on board. It's not like it's just some quaint RPG nobody played; quite the contrary, it's widely regarded as a classic and I have a hard time believing it would be totally passed over in this ultimate celebration of gaming history outside of a couple recycled renders. Besides, if nothing else, Nintendo and SE's current relationship bodes well for the possibility of any future collabs like SMRPG, and all of SMRPG's original assets, which includes Geno, are just sorta collecting dust without Nintendo. Food for thought...

So yeah, TL;DR, I'm remaining cautiously optimistic about Geno, though I recognize that it's probably now or never at this point.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom