• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
So I've been watching the Joker trailer again, and I was thinking: we may actually get a unique trailer for each DLC pack, considering there was obviously enough time/resources to make Joker's. If that's the case, Geno would get one too. Which is hype, of course.

But it leads me to a question for you all: how would they hide the big moment until Geno is revealed to be in? That moment in Joker's trailer when the card flipped around and revealed the Smash symbol...that was a shock even for people who don't know Persona. It was exciting. I'd like to see a moment like that in Geno's (hypothetical) trailer. So how would they pull that off?

I was thinking they might show a bit of footage of remade SMRPG stuff, making people think it MIGHT be Smash, then reveal that it's a SMRPG remake (let me dream, lol.) Then, before the trailer ends...wham. Smash Logo. Challenger Pack (X): Geno. Smash Ultimate x SMRPG.

And the internet explodes.

That's my take. How about you guys?

(After all the heavy stuff, I'm trying to get back to lighthearted Geno talk. Seems like we need some reprieve.)

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
I think it would have to start off with just generic Mario stuff/SMRPG stuff, and the moment of truth be simultaneous with Geno showing up on screen. Otherwise, it would be too obvious. Unless they did as they did with Isabelle's trailer and bundle it with a SMRPGRemaster/Sequel/Whatever Reveal.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Okay I’m terrible with roman numerals so FFXIV might be a game already released or unreleased but is it FFXIV in smash or something unrelated? cause one of those two things could be heartbreaking
ffxiv, or ff14 is the current MMO in the mainline series and has been out for a number of years already

Doctor Lucky

Smash Cadet
I was thinking they might show a bit of footage of remade SMRPG stuff, making people think it MIGHT be Smash, then reveal that it's a SMRPG remake (let me dream, lol.) Then, before the trailer ends...wham. Smash Logo. Challenger Pack (X): Geno. Smash Ultimate x SMRPG.

(After all the heavy stuff, I'm trying to get back to lighthearted Geno talk. Seems like we need some reprieve.)
I've been thinking about that myself, and the way I picture it would be a in engine rendered cutscene that leans more on the cinematic side of things.

Basically it would open up with a shot of the night sky as narration (possibly that of a child in reference to Gaz) plays over it, talking about hopes, dreams, desires, and wishes. As the narration goes on, the camera would start to pan down towards what is (but not specified as) Rose Town while a shooting star quickly blinks into and out from existence. From there the narration would continue as the camera makes its way towards a unlit house and enters through an open window. Essentially there will be a lot of rather seemingly baseless buildup for what's to come.

The narrator would then say something along the lines of "...but sometimes, wishes really do come true." as the camera pans over a shelf with dolls of Mario, Peach, and Bowser, before finally showing an empty space which should have Geno in it.

Here I'm not sure the best way to continue, either we hear the thud of Geno stumbling around as he gets used to his legs, or the sound of a door closing as Geno leaves the house and we get the final reveal of him outside. Personally I like the direction of the second one.

Either way that's just simple daydreaming and wishes upon wishes, if he does get revealed it'd probably just be hand in hand with a SMRPG remake on Switch reveal and not nearly be as cinematic as I'd envisioned.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
So I've been watching the Joker trailer again, and I was thinking: we may actually get a unique trailer for each DLC pack, considering there was obviously enough time/resources to make Joker's. If that's the case, Geno would get one too. Which is hype, of course.

But it leads me to a question for you all: how would they hide the big moment until Geno is revealed to be in? That moment in Joker's trailer when the card flipped around and revealed the Smash symbol...that was a shock even for people who don't know Persona. It was exciting. I'd like to see a moment like that in Geno's (hypothetical) trailer. So how would they pull that off?

If I were to do it I'd have it start off being what looks like SMRPG gameplay of the boss battle against Exor with Mario, Peach, and Bowser as the party members in play and then suddenly Geno and Mallow appear on either side of them to attack(which is the first hint that this isn't actually a SMRPG reboot) and it transforms into a CGI or stop motion sequence of the battle with Geno using Geno Whirl on Exor to finish him off. And then Exor's mouth opens up like it does when he's defeated in-game but instead of sucking them all up Ridley, K. Rool, Gannondorf and Mewtwo come out to attack the party with Ridley and K. Rool teaming up against Geno and Geno defeating them with a Geno Flash. And then Mario in gratitude hands him an invitation to Smash.

Last edited:

RingJ5

Smash Ace
I’ve largely been away from Smash speculation for a while because Joker is literally a dream come true for me, but the more I think about it, the direction of the entire pass and Geno’s chances therein somewhat hinge on one particular thing: Whether Persona 5 is getting a Switch port or not.

Why is that important? Well, since it suddenly changes Joker’s entire inclusion from “literally the Cloud of the entire Shin Megami Tensei franchise, right down to being on a competing system” to “a bargaining chip used by Nintendo to get ports that wouldn’t otherwise happen”, which would honestly kind of suck as a method of DLC selection.

The former would be a far better path for Geno’s chances, along with other fan requests. The latter would mean that we’d probably get characters like Tracer, Sora, and Doomguy.

(Now, there are certainly already rumors about P5 on Switch, but those literally come from someone who was claiming that Geno and Isaac were playable in the base roster, so, er... I personally put very little stock into those.)

While Joker is again a massive personal “never-ever” for me, I’m just worried that the pass will become “Nintendo using Smash DLC as a literal bargaining chip”, which I decidedly wouldn’t be a fan of, and I’m guessing a good few others wouldn’t be either. Time will tell.

Last edited:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Not quite related to Geno per se, but Vergeben just commented something regarding the SE rep. He said that because of the leaked picture of the characters that got out, people actually got fired. Yikes!
C o n c e r n.

RSF-Blue bomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lethlintejection
3DS FC
5069-3977-0380
despite all what happened i still believe vergeben when he says that there will be a square character. the odds are stacked against us but i think we need to keep in mind that the character nintendo went with are characters nobody expects

Ovaltine

Smash Master
"I love how people fail to realize they prove my point that this fanbase is garbage.

FFXIV leaks is an isolated incident.

People got fired for what KronoXIV did.

That's all anyone needs to know. "

That is what Vergeben said. I don't think this is at all Smash-related, but relating to KronoXIV leaking FFXIV-related materials in the past. It doesn't mean there were FFXIV images relating to Smash leaked online. He's talking about how leak culture can end up in people losing their jobs, and how that points fingers at the Smash community for encouraging leak culture and thus, the loss of jobs.

Calm down, guys. It doesn't mean FFXIV material was leaked for Smash.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
"I love how people fail to realize they prove my point that this fanbase is garbage.

FFXIV leaks is an isolated incident.

People got fired for what KronoXIV did.

That's all anyone needs to know. "

That is what Vergeben said. I don't think this is at all Smash-related, but relating to KronoXIV leaking FFXIV-related materials in the past. It doesn't mean there were FFXIV images relating to Smash leaked online. He's talking about how leak culture can end up in people losing their jobs, and how that points fingers at the Smash community for encouraging leak culture and thus, the loss of jobs.

Calm down, guys. It doesn't mean FFXIV material was leaked for Smash.
...Verge leaked stuff way before he got info on Smash. Is he seriously blaming fans for leaking info? Is he actually this dense...?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
...Verge leaked stuff way before he got info on Smash. Is he seriously blaming fans for leaking info? Is he actually this dense...?
Vergeben leaked stuff once he was sure that no one's job was at risk and that there was multiple source, making sure it wasn't possible to be traced.
Same as PolarPanda who keep the identity of it's source secret or try to make baby step in what he heard, to make sure no one's at risk.

And same as like, at least 15 people here, in Smashboard who knew things pre-release and decided to shut up about it for that reasons.

Vergeben is an asshole, but the last things he would do is to ruins his Sources's jobs since he NEED them to leak things.

KronoXIV didn't take that precaution and made people fired.

D

Deleted member

I would love a CGI trailer of Geno going something like this: Young Link is running around in a forest that people may have seen before, but there are arrows coming down everywhere. YL tries to dodge all of them, but gets hit by one and dies, then showing Bowyer laughing. All of a sudden, a golden disc comes flying right at Bowyer, and Bowyer just barely dodges it. The screen pans over, showing a silhouette of a puppet. The puppet's eyes flash red, showing it's gun, and it fires a devastating beam, obliterating Bowyer. The camera turns back, and.....

GENO
Shoots for the Stars!

Last edited by a moderator:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Vergeben leaked stuff once he was sure that no one's job was at risk and that there was multiple source, making sure it wasn't possible to be traced.
Same as PolarPanda who keep the identity of it's source secret or try to make baby step in what he heard, to make sure no one's at risk.

And same as like, at least 15 people here, in Smashboard who knew things pre-release and decided to shut up about it for that reasons.

Vergeben is an *******, but the last things he would do is to ruins his Sources's jobs since he NEED them to leak things.

KronoXIV didn't take that precaution and made people fired.
I guess my point is blaming fans for being curious when insiders are the ones going out of their way to leak stuff makes me care less about him if he's gonna be having that attitude.

Krono sounds like a special piece of work though I'll say that.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
I've been thinking about that myself, and the way I picture it would be a in engine rendered cutscene that leans more on the cinematic side of things.

Basically it would open up with a shot of the night sky as narration (possibly that of a child in reference to Gaz) plays over it, talking about hopes, dreams, desires, and wishes. As the narration goes on, the camera would start to pan down towards what is (but not specified as) Rose Town while a shooting star quickly blinks into and out from existence. From there the narration would continue as the camera makes its way towards a unlit house and enters through an open window. Essentially there will be a lot of rather seemingly baseless buildup for what's to come.

The narrator would then say something along the lines of "...but sometimes, wishes really do come true." as the camera pans over a shelf with dolls of Mario, Peach, and Bowser, before finally showing an empty space which should have Geno in it.

Here I'm not sure the best way to continue, either we hear the thud of Geno stumbling around as he gets used to his legs, or the sound of a door closing as Geno leaves the house and we get the final reveal of him outside. Personally I like the direction of the second one.

Either way that's just simple daydreaming and wishes upon wishes, if he does get revealed it'd probably just be hand in hand with a SMRPG remake on Switch reveal and not nearly be as cinematic as I'd envisioned.

OOOOOO I LOVE THIS.

This is very similar to what I had in mind.

We would open in the far reaches of space, in a bright galaxy. We’re following something as it speeds through space, we don’t know what it is yet, but it’s goinh FAST. While this is happening we hear the wishes of the Smash characters:

“I wish I were a great plumber like my brother Mario”
“I really wish the Mayor would stop fighting and get back to his duties”
“I wish I had all the pieces of the Triforce”
“I wish I had a new pair of shoes to run even faster!”

By this time we should arrive at Gaz’s House, in through the chimney. We zip around the house, still following camera, until as you’ve stated we find the Mario Doll, the Bowser doll, the Peach doll, the Mallow doll, until we find the last doll (but we can only see it’s chest) and rush into it. WE were the Geno star the whole time, following him on his path back to the doll.

“It seems I’m still needed after all...”

The screen goes black.

“I serve...a higher authority!!

Back to the home, with the Geno doll now missing. “Geno Awakens” plays in the background, as we see a flicker of the blue hat and cape before it escapes through the front door. We stay on the house and pan down to a letter left on the ground. The SMASH Invitation.

Fade to white.

SUPER SMASH BROS. ULTIMATE X SUPER MARIO RPG

“It looks like my wish came true!”

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Vergeben Fake.png

Me when Vergeben claimed to know about Joker from Persona 5 before he was announced and when nobody knew about the DLC at all, not even leakers and especially when he started backtracking on things. :facepalm:

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
Honestly Verge is absolutely correct. The fan base and GameFAQS specifically continue to be super wishy washy with how they treat him and his attitude toward them is completely founded imo. He gets something right, everyone praises him/apologizes/asks him more questions. He gets something wrong, everyone turns on him and calls him fake as if he doesn’t have an incredible track record. It’s unfair to have to deal with that.

As far as Krono I think Verge is referring to him leaking the SE List, not FFXIV

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Honestly Verge is absolutely correct. The fan base and GameFAQS specifically continue to be super wishy washy with how they treat him and his attitude toward them is completely founded imo. He gets something right, everyone praises him/apologizes/asks him more questions. He gets something wrong, everyone turns on him and calls him fake as if he doesn’t have an incredible track record. It’s unfair to have to deal with that.

As far as Krono I think Verge is referring to him leaking the SE List, not FFXIV
To be fair, Gamefaqs is an abyss of immaturatity that worship “logic” and blindly follow leaks and theories because being wrong about a game’s roster means your life is meaningless or something I don’t know.

It’s a trench of negativity that’s nearly impossible to crawl out of and I’m amazed any leaker would even bother trying to reason with people that just want Steve in Smash so then they can laugh at Banjo fans.

Personally every time I look at a thread there I get irrationally upset just witnessing how ignorant someone can be. All because they want to brag about being right about a roster for a video game.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
You know...

I just realized something.

Vergeben, in one of his posts in that topic, outright claimed that GameXplain is aware of who the Square rep is, or whether or not they're even coming.

Jon got that FF7/FF9/FF10 Switch port right, showing he has some insider knowledge via Square, and he's extremely positive that Geno will be DLC.

Hmmmm...

(This is my most tinfoil hat post ever, don't take it seriously haha.)

ETA: Also, a user said this before Vergeben's post:

"if there is a SE char NAME THEM and dont give this BS about protecting your source some one leaked a entire FF14 expansion pack and no one got fired "

He is definitely not referring to the SE list, but the FFXIV leak and whether or not people got fired over it.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Krono was/is a loose cannon anyways. The narrative is that he weaseled his way into insider circles as a way to prove Vergeben and others were lying about Sora, only to find things that he didn't like and then *spins around like Julie Andrews* the rest is history.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
You know...

I just realized something.

Vergeben, in one of his posts in that topic, outright claimed that GameXplain is aware of who the Square rep is, or whether or not they're even coming.

Jon got that FF7/FF9/FF10 Switch port right, showing he has some insider knowledge via Square, and he's extremely positive that Geno will be DLC.

Hmmmm...

(This is my most tinfoil hat post ever, don't take it seriously haha.)

ETA: Also, a user said this before Vergeben's post:

"if there is a SE char NAME THEM and dont give this BS about protecting your source some one leaked a entire FF14 expansion pack and no one got fired "

He is definitely not referring to the SE list, but the FFXIV leak and whether or not people got fired over it.
HMMMMMM.... :Scratches chin like a super villain:

Krono was/is a loose cannon anyways. The narrative is that he weaseled his way into insider circles as a way to prove Vergeben and others were lying about Sora, only to find things that he didn't like and then *spins around like Julie Andrews* the rest is history.
Jeez why are so many insiders desperate to prove each other wrong? Is this like the leaker olympics?

Zubyyyy

Yung Zuby the Falco God
Hey guys. Old time Geno supporter for over ten years now. As I grow older I have less and less time to devote to browsing forums, but I wanted to say all your support makes me so happy.

I have been trying to catch up over the last few pages. Does anyone have a link or something to the original KronoXIV leak? I have no idea what he leaked.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
About GameExplain, they probably do know some of the DLC. PolarPanda's source says people close to Nintendo like the TreeHouse Crew absolutely know. Based on Jon's "uncanny" predictions the last two years, he likely has an in but no one knows who because that person would be hella fired if it was ever figured out.

The Anigriffin The Anigriffin : A lot of people don't understand the seriousness of NDAs which is why I always asked permission before hinting or outright saying anything. Krono was dropping chat logs and DM records in Discord chats which on a lot of fronts was super careless if not totally intended.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162

Jon was also EXTREMELY positive that we would get Shadow as a Sonic Echo or that Incineroar would have a Sun and Moon stage.

He like to mix truth and false to not get spotted. Especially since the discussion where he claim to be positive of Geno is the discussion where he truly make his way to say we will get a Tetris block and stuff like that. Because people were VERY SUSPICIOUS of his "prediction" so he went full Random BS that time

Don't take Jon's word as anything more than Speculation and keep them in mind. Never as gospel

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Jon was also EXTREMELY positive that we would get Shadow as a Sonic Echo or that Incineroar would have a Sun and Moon stage.

He like to mix truth and false to not get spotted. Especially since the discussion where he claim to be positive of Geno is the discussion where he truly make his way to say we will get a Tetris block and stuff like that.

Don't take Jon's word as anything more than Speculation and keep them in mind. Never as gospel
iirc they also think that Rex is DLC when he basically got outright deconfirmed. Honestly I'm not so sure Verge knows anything for DLC at this point

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
About GameExplain, they probably do know some of the DLC. PolarPanda's source says people close to Nintendo like the TreeHouse Crew absolutely know. Based on Jon's "uncanny" predictions the last two years, he likely has an in but no one knows who because that person would be hella fired if it was ever figured out.

The Anigriffin The Anigriffin : A lot of people don't understand the seriousness of NDAs which is why I always asked permission before hinting or outright saying anything. Krono was dropping chat logs and DM records in Discord chats which on a lot of fronts was super careless if not totally intended.
People like Krono are why no one can have nice things...

Ovaltine

Smash Master

He like to mix truth and false to not get spotted. Especially since the discussion where he claim to be positive of Geno is the discussion where he truly make his way to say we will get a Tetris block and stuff like that. Because people were VERY SUSPICIOUS of his "prediction" so he went full Random BS that time

Exactly, which is why I said to not take my post about that seriously, because it's definitely more of a reach. Something to store away in mind for later, but definitely not something to take as gospel. It's interesting to note, but it's just that.

I will say, though, that knowing about Shadow or Incineroar, non-Square entities, is pretty different from knowing about Square entities. Of course, though, you're more likely right that he's throwing stuff out there to keep things under wraps.

(Also, you're definitely one of the more level-headed people in this thread, so kudos!)

domriver

Smash Lord
This could be wishful thinking but I sense
Geno and Banjo-Kazooie E3 reveals along with something else.
Geno 3
Banjo- Kazooie 4

the 2nd one won't be Geno. It will be someone obscure also. At least thats how i feel. hmmm

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
This could be wishful thinking but I sense
Geno and Banjo-Kazooie E3 reveals along with something else.
Geno 3
Banjo- Kazooie 4

the 2nd one won't be Geno. It will be someone obscure also. At least thats how i feel. hmmm
Frankly, I think if we get the Square rep during E3, it wouldn't be Geno unless we got a SMRPG remake announcement at the same time, as well. If we do get Geno, it'll be as the 2nd reveal, given that would align with a Spring reveal, around which is the anniversary of SMRPG's initial releases on the SNES (in both Japan and the US). If the Square rep is our next one, that at least gives me a sliver of hope, but if it's not, then my hopes are going to be rather low...

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think it's next, because why not?

Reveal Geno in March because that's my birth month

D

Deleted member

I think Geno could be the 3rd, 4th, or 5th reveal. I'm don't think he will be the 2nd

Last edited by a moderator:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I'm thinking 3rd or final reveal just judging by the dlc timeline. I'm thinking either him or Banjo could be revealed at E3. I dunno. Could always be wrong though.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
The Geno spirit is so weird to me... I still think It's a weird "consolation prize". They could have show him anywhere in the 1st november direct , but they chosed an online sub-mode as a token icon (with 200+ icons and 74 characters) below the character who can see the future... Sakurai NEVER dropped hint before , except the "climax" hint right before Bayo's reveal.
But still , that's such a weird way to do it.

I can't help it but find all of this... Weird.

And take in considerations all the little things like the SMRPG tweet , the trivia question , SMRPG third re-release... It's like an accumulation of coincidences. But , call me crazy , but that look like more like a pattern... As to what this pattern is saying... I don't know.

It's still SE , getting any content in base game that wasn't Cloud is impressive.
And seeing how SE treated Smash Bros... I think they don't realize what a new life Smash Bros can give to these characters... They could pick anyone and make him way more popular... And they haven't done anything to push Cloud a little bit more , or even FF as a whole. Sprites of FF games were enough for spirits...

On another topic , I dunno if it was posted before , but listen to this arrangement !

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
The Geno spirit is so weird to me... I still think It's a weird "consolation prize". They could have show him anywhere in the 1st november direct , but they chosed an online sub-mode as a token icon (with 200+ icons and 74 characters) below the character who can see the future... Sakurai NEVER dropped hint before , except the "climax" hint right before Bayo's reveal.

And take in considerations all the little things like the SMRPG tweet , the trivia question , SMRPG third re-release... It's like an accumulation of coincidences. But , call me crazy , but that look like more like a pattern... As to what this pattern is saying... I don't know.

It's still SE , getting any content in base game that wasn't Cloud is impressive.
And seeing how SE treated Smash Bros... I think they don't realize what a new life Smash Bros can give to these characters... They could pick anyone and make him way more popular... And they haven't done anything to push Cloud a little bit more , or even FF as a whole. Sprites of FF games were enough for spirits...

On another topic , I dunno if it was posted before , but listen to this arrangement !

I'm honestly feeling like because there was so much effort put into his spirit, him being a legendary, and him supposedly appearing at the end of the game, AS WELL as him being an online icon... I'm thinking it's more of a "Hold on, he's coming, just be patient" scenario.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I don't watch him much, but from what I have heard he often has a "It's popular, now it sucks!" mindset about a lot of things. So that could possibly be a reason. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
While I am not certain, not everyone is going to like everything. As someone who has Meganium as their favorite starter of all time, this is always the case for me. Personally I just think I gravitate to huge underdogs unintentionally. ProJared is a fine person and I dont think what he says about Geno/Mallow changes my opinion on him.

Same for MatPat/GameTheory. I personally dont like him. He is a 31 year old 'hello fellow kids' type shill, but taking a step and actually seeing his content, he wasnt singling out us. Sure he made a non verbal example with the Mii Costume but he also included Banjo, Sora and Crash when it came down to fan toxicity so it wasnt like 'My theory is Geno fans are cancer' MatPat isnt my favorite guy. He slandered Team Fortress 2 and even played a race card just to cash in on the Overwatch hype and lied about one of my communities at a critical time for us, however with that being said GameTheory isn't mocking Geno fans like we all have been saying.

Just enjoy Geno. You dont have to prove to anyone else why he is special. That is for them to discover someday on their own.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If Geno comes, I am going to play this. And cry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom