• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

DIY

Smash Apprentice
Smash Wiki i believe.
Yeah, I was checking that earlier but it was stuck on 509 Spirits for a few hours so I just assumed it was either outdated or getting slowly updated. Thanks for letting me know!

Xigger

Smash Lord
If that Geno icon is a Spirit, then what battle would we expect?

Would he be over Mega Man, or Mii Fighter with the Geno Costume? What would the battle specs be?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If that Geno icon is a Spirit, then what battle would we expect?

Would he be over Mega Man, or Mii Fighter with the Geno Costume? What would the battle specs be?
It'd be the mii fighter with the Geno costume, definitely

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
I HAVE BIG NEWS FOR GENO!!!!
Now that gameplay embargo has been lifted... 700 spirits confirmed. NO Enix spirits found yet at all, and we've seen over 500. Only 2 FF tracks. And Stealth__ is tweeting that Cloud was the final veteran added due to Enix being difficult to work through...
If Cloud was hard to add (and this is corroberated by only 2 FF tracks and no Enix spirits), Geno is the only sensible Enix rep.
There’s something I’d like to add. This actually makes sense because Cloud wasn’t in the World of Light trailer, which means that the World of Light cinematic must’ve been created before Cloud’s approval because he could’ve been last-minute decision, and like Stealth said, Cloud was the final character to be included. This makes so much sense now.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So Square has characters in the game but no spirits at all, except possibly (But not found yet) Geno

But Ubisoft has spirits without a playable character?

That's friggin' weird
Also, Zack. But they probably confused him for Cloud, since they wear the same clothes.

Oh, and the only Koei Tecmo content in the entire game is an AT from a franchise that has been dead for 4 years.

Last edited:

Laszyking456

Smash Apprentice
There’s something I’d like to add. This actually makes sense because Cloud wasn’t in the World of Light trailer, which means that the World of Light cinematic must’ve been created before Cloud’s approval because he could’ve been last-minute decision, and like Stealth said, Cloud was the final character to be included. This makes so much sense now.
Don't get too excited, we still have 200 spirits to go through. He still could be one.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So Square has characters in the game but no spirits at all, except possibly (But not found yet) Geno

But Ubisoft has spirits without a playable character?

That's friggin' weird
Ubisoft is also 1000x easier to work with too and they've been one of Nintendo's most reliable third party partners since the N64 days. That said, I don't think Rayman's totally out of the running yet because there's a lot they could do with music and a stage with him, plus it'd be an easy way to have more Battle Kingdom stuff added.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
You mean the moment when Sakurai just blinked and stood still like a Doll? In my head there was two possibilities.

1. It was just a Editing Mistake as i've seen some people in the past use their eyes to blink as to know when it's time to speak for more free flowing dialog/speaking rather than it being forced. (TL;DR, Video Editing/Directing Trick)

2. It's a hint to Geno. This one is pretty Tin Foily to me.
It was pretty obvious that it was just a part of the "god i'm so tired working on this game" gag.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Watch as we get a Kingdom Battle Rabbid Instead.

...Thinking about it, those guys would have some legitimately neat moveset potential. If it wasn’t for the idea that it’d make 3/6 of the DLC Mario characters, I’d totally be for it if Rayman’s unavailable.
I doubt it. Rabbid Mario and Peach were already confirmed and I don't think the official Ubisoft Twitter would have made a big deal of Rabbid Peach being a spirit if she (he?) were anything else. If Battle Kingdom specifically was getting a rep, it would be one of those two, especially with them being the most used in promos and trailers.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Last edited:

RingJ5

Smash Ace
https://gonintendo.com/stories/3230...ear-your-requests-for-waluigi-and-geno-in-sma hey checkout this article. its about how nintendo is listening to our cries for geno real suspicious if you ask me...
That was brought up a page or two ago, and it’s sadly just clickbait. The interviewer was the one that brought him up, the Nintendo rep just replied with a blanket statement that could fit all requests.

I doubt it. Rabbid Mario and Peach were already confirmed and I don't think the official Ubisoft Twitter would have made a big deal of Rabbid Peach being a spirit if she (he?) were anything else. If Battle Kingdom specifically was getting a rep, it would be one of those two, especially with them being the most used in promos and trailers.
I could personally see Rabbid Luigi working incredibly well, due to his guaranteed elemental abilities that could act as debuffs to opponents. Like Inkling, but the opponents do less damge to you instead of you doing more to them.

Things are getting a bit off-topic now, though, so to get it back on track: With this embargo lifted and press copies either already sent out or shipping quite soon, we should definitively know Geno’s Spirit status in the next few days. Quite exciting.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Yeah, I was checking that earlier but it was stuck on 509 Spirits for a few hours so I just assumed it was either outdated or getting slowly updated. Thanks for letting me know!
Although honestly it's probably like 600 at this point because we've seen that a ton of them can be upgraded. For example, it's a pretty safe bet that all the Pokemon that can evolve or have Mega Evolutions will have additional spirits. For example, we've seen Rowlet as a level one spirit so Dartrix and Decidueye are probably spirits too.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Well actually sakurai said he isn't adding waluigi because he feels like it would be just for the jokes aka memes of people who wanted him.
Do you have a source on that?

Not that I don't believe the reasoning but this is also the same guy who added ROB and Piranha Plant.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
https://www.ssbwiki.com/List_of_spirits_(disambiguation)

Here's the list of spirits. Square Enix is a big fat zero while others are low but will probably grow with time. Like I said earlier, Pokemon will no doubt probably increase a couple of dozen while other franchises that seem notably lacking are Pac-Man (plus his various arcade buddies) , Metroid, Kid Icarus, and Star Fox. It's especially interesting when you go through the lists and note certain games not yet represented. For example, Star Fox doesn't have the original, Adventures, or Command spirits yet.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
https://www.ssbwiki.com/List_of_spirits_(disambiguation)

Here's the list of spirits. Square Enix is a big fat zero while others are low but will probably grow with time. Like I said earlier, Pokemon will no doubt probably increase a couple of dozen while other franchises that seem notably lacking are Pac-Man (plus his various arcade buddies) , Metroid, Kid Icarus, and Star Fox. It's especially interesting when you go through the lists and note certain games not yet represented. For example, Star Fox doesn't have the original, Adventures, or Command spirits yet.
They have Geno listed under the "Super Mario Bros" category as a spirit

https://www.ssbwiki.com/List_of_spirits_(Super_Mario_Bros._series)

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
And again, it's probably just an icon. I recall the spirit for Klaptrap looked different than the icon used.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Well, the longer we go without seeing Geno's Mii Costume or him as a Spirit is definitely for the best. I hadn't quite realized just how much content broke in the past little while about Smash Ultimate, so I'm loving everything new I'm seeing. If we don't get a new battle with a Geno Mii costume, which should be the easiest theoretical inclusion ever, then he has a better chance than he has since November 1st.

THAT said, I still don't like this situation. We've got insiders rumbling about Square characters and rumors of this or that, and if Square is truly being stingy and obstinate to work with, what if we just don't end up with a new Square rep? The best thing going for the additional Square rep is the number of people stating there might be one including Vergeben himself... but I still don't trust insiders.

Can anyone show any validity to the claim that Cloud was the last veteran to be confirmed? That's a big statement that's just hanging without any proof from what I've seen...

And don't hate me for this.... butttt... If Square is difficult to work with, what if maybe working with one of the companies that is in more of a partnership is actually more likely because of this situation? Work with someone like Disney or the Dragon Quest company primarily and mostly get Square to sign off on those sorts of things so that way Square proper doesn't have to be dealt with as much. I know people are taking this all in favor of Geno being the easy pick, but what if that's the opposite of what's actually going on here? Just food for thought.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Here's my thought on this whole thing. I can somewhat believe that Square would be a little difficult to work with, but I can't imagine them getting so mad or holding a grudge over Sakurai asking to have Cloud in the base roster for Ultimate. They like to make money with the least amount of effort, so I think rather than hold a grudge, they just charge more money. And I'm pretty sure that Sakurai asked about Geno too since I have a hard time believing Nintendo would oppose another Mario character joining Smash. So, Square would get twice as much in the end if they allowed Cloud to be in the base game and have Geno as DLC. I seriously doubt they would turn down this opportunity. After all, recall that Sakurai specifically asked for Cloud in the first place for Smash 4 DLC, so why would they want to endanger a potential bigger profit than before?

Last edited:

domriver

Smash Lord
Here's my thought on this whole thing. I can somewhat believe that Square would be a little difficult to work with, but I can't imagine them getting so mad or holding a grudge over Sakurai asking to have Cloud in the base roster for Ultimate. They like to make money with the least amount of effort, so I think rather than hold a grudge, they just charge more money. And I'm pretty sure that Sakurai asked about Geno too since I have a hard time believing Nintendo would oppose another Mario character joining Smash. So, Square would get twice as much in the end if they allowed Cloud to be in the base game and have Geno as DLC. I seriously doubt they would turn down this opportunity. After all, recall that Sakurai specifically asked for Cloud in the first place for Smash 4 DLC, so why would they want to endanger a potential bigger profit than before?
you would think right? Also i remember is there a reason people are waiting for Thursday to happen? I read that somewhere here. Like expecting some sort of news ?

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
And again, it's probably just an icon. I recall the spirit for Klaptrap looked different than the icon used.
This is only a guess but it seems like a given that you could just use any spirit you have as an icon. I can't imagine there being exclusive icons that don't get spirits.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
User was warned for this post; double posting
I'll elaborate a bit. It's not that Enix is being stingy with Cloud, it's just that there are a lot of legal hoops associated with FF. Similar to the situation with DQ. If anything, this is good for Geno because he has zero hoops compared to other Enix franchises.

you would think right? Also i remember is there a reason people are waiting for Thursday to happen? I read that somewhere here. Like expecting some sort of news ?
I said that I might get more info on Geno being DLC this Thursday. Hopefully. My source just said that NoA would tone down the focus on Let's Go 'a week after it's out', so I assume he'd start hearing stuff around then. Hopefully. If not, the following week for sure. He pretty much guaranteed me he'd hear more about DLC before release. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't.

D

Deleted member

Geno's chances are confusing. I do not know if I am a supporter, but I will join in a bit.

Geno is all over the place for me. He missed out so much, but a lot of fans would heavily rejoice if Geno was DLC.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
I said that I might get more info on Geno being DLC this Thursday. Hopefully. My source just said that NoA would tone down the focus on Let's Go 'a week after it's out', so I assume he'd start hearing stuff around then. Hopefully. If not, the following week for sure. He pretty much guaranteed me he'd hear more about DLC before release. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't.
Well fingers crossed that works out.
And by the way, others have said it too, but thanks for keeping a hopeful breath of fresh air going around here. :)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Don't hate me for this.... butttt... If Square is difficult to work with, what if maybe working with one of the companies that is in more of a partnership is actually more likely because of this situation? Work with someone like Disney or the Dragon Quest company primarily and mostly get Square to sign off on those sorts of things so that way Square proper doesn't have to be dealt with as much. I know people are taking this all in favor of Geno being the easy pick, but what if that's the opposite of what's actually going on here? Just food for thought.
No because, while Armor Project and Disney owns all the respective characters, Square Enix still has the assets because they develop and publish the games. Square Enix would still have to be involved to some degree. It's like one of those U-Haul storage units where U-Haul owns the garage but all the crap you keep inside is yours. They may own the storage unit but they'd be in huge trouble if they tried to use anything in it without permission. They would still need Square Enix from everything from character models to animation rigs to music. Plus, a side note, we've also outlined here that both Disney and Armor Project are just as difficult if not more so to work with for various reasons.

djgwiz

Smash Apprentice
*Puts on blue tin foil hat*

I got curious as to if the “online icon” we spotted Geno in could actually be a spirit. It makes sense to me that online icons could be synonymous with spirits. I thought maybe you could set spirits you obtain as your online icon but it would seem that online icons and spirits are indeed two separate things.

My reasoning is that the profile icons we've seen so far don't match their characters' equivalent spirit art.
For example, both Zero and the Moon spirit use official game art as spirits but SSBU renders for their icons.
Compare the online icons below to these characters spirits spotted elsewhere in the game.

Online icons

Zero spirit

Moon spirit

What I'm curious about is Toad. Toad isn't an assist trophy and I haven't seen that specific Toad art used as a spirit.
I feel as if online icons and spirits are separate entities because it would be odd to have both options for Zero/the Moon as online icon choices.
If spirits can't be used for online icons then that's a big advantage to Geno. Of course, who's to say if spirits deconfirm a character's chances at all anyway.

Edit: Upon reviewing the online area reveal in the direct it really seems to me that Geno's split second appearance is on purpose. Watching it again it really does seem like its supposed to be a clue. It's just me speculating though~ <3

Second edit: The example I made above works for the Klaptrap that appears next to Geno in the direct.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
They made this recent DLC video. Btw I'm talking about source Gaming. https://youtu.be/gc7SA3fl-U8
I appreciate that them and Game Explain do these huge, long discussion videos but I'm not going to sit and listen to some guys talk shop for close to an hour. Anybody want to be a hero and summarize the main talking points?

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Here's my thought on this whole thing. I can somewhat believe that Square would be a little difficult to work with, but I can't imagine them getting so mad or holding a grudge over Sakurai asking to have Cloud in the base roster for Ultimate. They like to make money with the least amount of effort, so I think rather than hold a grudge, they just charge more money. And I'm pretty sure that Sakurai asked about Geno too since I have a hard time believing Nintendo would oppose another Mario character joining Smash. So, Square would get twice as much in the end if they allowed Cloud to be in the base game and have Geno as DLC. I seriously doubt they would turn down this opportunity.
Don’t forget that Square will also receive profit from the Geno amiibo, and they already receive profit from the Cloud amiibos. The Cloud amiibos make profit and most of the profit from Cloud’s amiibos go directly to Square; there’s an amiibo for the FF7 Cloud and the Advent Children Cloud, so Square’s already making a lot of profit from both of the Cloud amiibos. If Geno is our Square rep, Geno will also be getting an amiibo and the same would happen with the Geno amiibo, most of the profit from that amiibo will go to Square. Square will also receive profit from Geno’s DLC price.

I just wish Geno wasn’t all about money to Square, but whatever it takes for him to be added into the roster as a newcomer. DLC is our only option, unfortunately. Just remember that Geno will make us happy, that’s what matters most. :)

Laszyking456

Smash Apprentice
Basically in short, they talk about since corrin was the only choice Nintendo chose last game and it was promotional and got sakurai to add them, they think most options are promotional first party and maybe 3rd party if it possibly comes to the Nintendo switch. So Erdrick or slime, Minecraft, and Fortnite (Since it's mainstream and on the switch, plus it's huge so thay it would attract more fans if fortnite similar to minecraft if they saw it in smash it would cause and persuade people to buy a Nintendo switch.

Last edited:

djgwiz

Smash Apprentice
I appreciate that them and Game Explain do these huge, long discussion videos but I'm not going to sit and listen to some guys talk shop for close to an hour. Anybody want to be a hero and summarize the main talking points?
They open talking about how they suspect DLC to be about advertising/pushing new game characters. They open with Square predictions. One of them says Sora because of KH's impact on gaming as a whole. The other person says Eldrick (idk if I spelled that right) because of the new DQ game coming to Switch in 2019. Then they talked about Doom Guy as a next pick and I stopped listening.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom