• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
This also goes along with the rumors that Square Enix unironically tried to get Cloud in as paid DLC a second time, going perfectly along with our theory that Square doesn't want to move a pointy hair spike if they're not getting paid extra for it and are trying to do as little work as possible for the most money.
They did what?

TBone06

Smash Ace
If what Stealth said about Cloud being the last character confirmed in the game, I find it very hard to believe Sora or DQ would be added. It wouldn't make any sense that they would go through all the trouble to get an icon and a costume for Geno and go with someone else to be playable.

If there is a Square character for DLC, I have a hard time believing it is anyone but Geno. Obviously I could be wrong, but I think everyone is right. I feel we're still in good shape.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I imagine Sakurai marching into Square Enix with a gun like that one meme ''Typically I'm a healer."

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
For all we know the Geno icon could have been an oopsie daisy because god knows Nintendo has accidentally leaked stuff in their Smash videos and press releases before. I double checked and the Geno icon in the last Smash Direct was on screen for less than a second.

Last edited:

TBone06

Smash Ace
For all we know the Geno icon could have been an oopsie daisy because god knows Nintendo has accidentally leaked stuff in their Smash videos and press releases before. I double checked and the Geno icon in the last Smash Direct was on screen for less than a second.
I can't remember who I said it to, but I remember saying this. It's certainly possible that it was a mistake. If you were scanning that screen for EVERY little detail, you'd miss it. It was on the side of the screen away from everything else that you were supposed to be looking at it.

D

Deleted member

Jeez, i was under the impression SE was not that stingy with FF but i guess it is. Interesting about Square regarding Cloud that they wanted it to be paid DLC again jeez. So with knowing this Square Enix is not budging on FF thats all we get. Its probably safe to assume that Square shut down any possibility of other characters being included aside from the original contract for SSB WiiU/3ds. This really bodes well for Geno guys. Sakurai already had the rights for Geno of course development time was a deadline and he couldn't implement him so therefore the Mii Costume. Now that I think about it Geno and Cloud were probably planned to be PAID DLC regardless who got in first. None of them were meant for base. Interesting... VGA we are waiting!

id be content as well!
And this would make sense if Geno is the first DLC character, since he was planned for DLC in Smash 4, but Square Enix would want to make money off of him, so he would be the first DLC character because Sakurai wanted to include him as soon as he could

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
If this is what happened I could see that Geno might have even been pushed to DLC because of Square's stubborn nature.

If they were punks about Cloud, there's a possibility that Sakurai expected them to play ball easier and thus he could have had Cloud and Geno in base game, but because they were ****s about Cloud. Geno could not happen for base game and thus became DLC.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Part of me thought of this before, but what if he was purposely teased for that little moment in the video? Followed by Sakurai's comment on the fighters pass DLC, "I hope only those who are confident in its value will purchase it."

Things are looking pretty good for Geno so far, either way.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Yeah, it was hard to pay attention to it, it was either a hint for Geno because of how fast it showed up and disappeared, or it was an accident. Somebody noticed it and posted a video about it on their YouTube channel, titling it “Geno deconfirmed?”, which eventually spread and people believed that Geno was “deconfirmed” because he was shown as a profile icon in the Battle Arena. But you are correct, Nintendo has been known to make mistakes.

**The “Bloody Tears” and “Ken image” incident.**

TBone06

Smash Ace
It may be a Swith User Icon also.
I'm trying to understand why, in the DLC predictions video from SourceGaming, they placed Geno on the thumbnail but they guessed Sora and Erdrick for SE rep.
My paranoiac mind is telling me to believe that Nintendo told em that Geno is in so start sharing other characters to make a "Surprise" reaction. My actual mind is telling me to shut the hell up.
This whole video was a joke. They contradicted themselves multiple times, and just sounded foolish the whole video. Their ending was a huge joke. Fortnite? Sandbag? Kos Mos? Give me a break. This video hurt to watch.

Rummy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rummy
Switch FC
7820-4094-4523
Part of me thought of this before, but what if he was purposely teased for that little moment in the video? Followed by Sakurai's comment on the fighters pass DLC, "I hope only those who are confident in its value will purchase it."

Things are looking pretty good for Geno so far, either way.
You mean the moment when Sakurai just blinked and stood still like a Doll? In my head there was two possibilities.

1. It was just a Editing Mistake as i've seen some people in the past use their eyes to blink as to know when it's time to speak for more free flowing dialog/speaking rather than it being forced. (TL;DR, Video Editing/Directing Trick)

2. It's a hint to Geno. This one is pretty Tin Foily to me.

Last edited:

Xigger

Smash Lord
Exactly. I know I pointed this out before, but it's happened to about 4 or 5 fighters the last two games, notably Lucario and Pokemon Trainer.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
If Geno was added as a Switch User Icon that would be awesome. I'm actually hoping a lot of the newcomers like Ridley and K. Rool get icons.
This is what I actually thought that battle icon was for, it was our profile pictures from our Switch profiles itself. I don’t remember this, but didn’t we see K. K. Slider as one of the battle icons? Because I know Slider is a profile picture in the Switch profile picture selection. Also, new games that came out, like Super Mario Odyssey, released new profile pictures with Mario and Cappy, the T-Rex, and a few others, as well. I can see the same happening with Super Smash Brothers Ultimate releasing a bunch of new profile pictures, and one of them could be a Geno profile picture.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Geno, Llyod, Rayman, Linkle/HW Impa, and Banjo would actually be an amazing DLC spread, to be totally honest.

Add in: the crazy thing about this is that it wouldn't even be super wishlisty either. Think about it. Geno's Smash fanbase cooled down considerably after Brawl and hope only picked up again because of the Nintendo Dream article in 2016. Rayman's Smash fanbase all but evaporated with his trophy confirmation in Smash 4. Llyod's Smash fanbase took a heavy blow after Brawl and then all but disappeared after his Mii costume was shown. Linkle/HW Impa aren't characters that people have been heavily clamoring for but people would be happy because they finally add a new Zelda character while Linkle in particular came into being because there was so much of a push from fans to make her real after Hyrule Historia leaked. You might argue that Banjo is wishlisty but he was considered a "no-hoper" after Melee until 2015 with Phil Spencer's comments so his Smash push is still pretty young overall. This all being said, this isn't the least bit unreasonable.
Rayman was just confirmed as a Spirit as well, today was a goddamn massacre. Getting real scared yet also real excited for Geno’s chances.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, going back to PolarPanda's source, it's seems like there's a lot of evidence that most, if not all, the major franchises in Smash will be getting at least one unique boss. Like I said earlier, they mentioned a couple back in September that are looking incredibly likely now and I'm not talking about low-ball, easy to guess stuff like Eggman for Sonic (not one of the ones mentioned but super likely now), I'm talking ones that nobody would have predicted but are almost all but confirmed now.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I don't take Spirits as de-confirms of characters.

It's silly that everyone seems to think they do.

It's literally ''A PNG of you is in the game guess we can't sell you as DLC."

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't take Spirits as de-confirms of characters.

It's silly that everyone seems to think they do.

It's literally ''A PNG of you is in the game guess we can't sell you as DLC."
Yeah, especially since there's one of FRIGGING RAYMAN, the mascot of Ubisoft that had a trophy painstakingly made by them for 4. Their only reward for it being some spirits of their characters would be tone-deaf at best, insulting at worst.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Yeah, especially since there's one of FRIGGING RAYMAN, the mascot of Ubisoft that had a trophy painstakingly made by them for 4. Their only reward for it being some spirits of their characters would be tone-deaf at best, insulting at worst.
Watch as we get a Kingdom Battle Rabbid Instead.

...Thinking about it, those guys would have some legitimately neat moveset potential. If it wasn’t for the idea that it’d make 3/6 of the DLC Mario characters, I’d totally be for it if Rayman’s unavailable.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Watch as we get a Kingdom Battle Rabbid Instead.

...Thinking about it, those guys would have some legitimately neat moveset potential. If it wasn’t for the idea that it’d make 3/6 of the DLC Mario characters, I’d totally be for it if Rayman’s unavailable.
I'm not sure I'd be mentally ready for TMNT Smash Up 2: Electric Bwaahgaloo. But then again, we did see a Kingdom Rabbid spirit, so, who knows really.

They better have Rabbid Peach possess the actual Peach though, otherwise it's a wasted opportunity.

Last edited:

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
You mean the moment when Sakurai just blinked and stood still like a Doll? In my head there was two possibilities.

1. It was just a Editing Mistake as i've seen some people in the past use their eyes to blink as to know when it's time to speak for more free flowing dialog/speaking rather than it being forced. (TL;DR, Video Editing/Directing Trick)

No, I'm referring to the small moment where Geno is spotted as a token.

RingJ5

Smash Ace

Laszyking456

Smash Apprentice
Goddamn, this latest infodump took out Bandana Dee and Elma, two characters that I assumed were essentially locks. Geno’s hanging on by a “maybe just an icon/costume” thread, and we have roughly 200 Spirits left to be revealed. I still have hope, but things really are coming down to the wire here.
Wait Elma is a spirit?
Helps the case against Sora, DQ, and Chrono even more, because in those cases they have to share “their cut” of each DLC sale with other companies. Geno doesn’t have that same issue, making his only viable competition another FF rep, which would bring Nintendo back to Music Licensing Hell. However, SMRPG’s composer is already working with them on the base game, so that’s not even an issue with Geno.

That’s misinformation, Daisy and WFT are “Fighter Spirits”, which aren’t equippable and are treated differently than other kinds of Spirits. I don’t believe Hitagi either, but that’s not how Spirits work.
well actually they have multi wi fitness poses for her so i kind of does count lol.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Wait Elma is a spirit?
well actually they have multi wi fitness poses for her so i kind of does count lol.
Yep, Elma and BWD were both confirmed Spirits within seconds of each other in some just-released video from Spain.

And those aren’t “Wii Fit Trainer” Spirits, they’re literally Spirits of the yoga poses themselves. Kind of a weird extension of the Kaptain/Super Sonic thing.

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
Strange to think we're less than 20 days away. Soon, we will get a better look at all of these Fighter Tokens.

Last edited:

domriver

Smash Lord
If this is what happened I could see that Geno might have even been pushed to DLC because of Square's stubborn nature.

If they were punks about Cloud, there's a possibility that Sakurai expected them to play ball easier and thus he could have had Cloud and Geno in base game, but because they were ****s about Cloud. Geno could not happen for base game and thus became DLC.
Your probably dead on right about this. I wouldn't be surprised if when Sakurai/Nintendo told them hey Cloud is gonna be base character and they were pissed off about it and withdrew all the extra (if any) content they had regarding FF. Like I mentioned earlier Square probably wanted PAID DLC to happen for BOTH characters but not gonna happen. Wow knowing this i won't doubt they probably shafted Geno's content as well. -.- Of course im hoping to be 100000% wrong about this.

lol back to whole lets see if any subliminal messages within the direct to hint a secret character ehh? xD :p

MattX20

Smash Hero
Your probably dead on right about this. I wouldn't be surprised if when Sakurai/Nintendo told them hey Cloud is gonna be base character and they were pissed off about it and withdrew all the extra (if any) content they had regarding FF. Like I mentioned earlier Square probably wanted PAID DLC to happen for BOTH characters but not gonna happen. Wow knowing this i won't doubt they probably shafted Geno's content as well. -.- Of course im hoping to be 100000% wrong about this.

lol back to whole lets see if any subliminal messages within the direct to hint a secret character ehh? xD :p
Or Square would've just charged more money for Cloud to be in the base roster, and charged the same price Cloud had for DLC for Geno.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Wait Elma is a spirit?
Long story short: if there's a first/second party character you want playable in Smash, there's a 99% chance at this point that they've been shown as a spirit. Roughly 500 of the 700 total have been shown thanks to the gameplay embargo being dropped last night and there are very, very few exceptions of characters that aren't one yet. On that note, the absence of Hyrule Warriors or Fire Emblem Heroes spirits is now becoming grotesquely notable.

Last edited:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Oh my gosh I can't handle the hype lol

Are they really going to do a Geno T-pose reveal at the VGA ?!?! At this point , it would surprise me that Geno is an online token icon and that's it.

Also. Did anyone saw the chocobo hat for the miis ? Because if It's not even in , why would they bring back the Geno Mii costume and that's it ?!

Also , the theory that showing off the Geno token wasn't intentional... I can trust it. If they delete the video , upload a new one without the Geno token , everyone and their mothers would scream "GENO IS IN !".
Also , it was live-streamed , and with reactions videos... Yeah , if showing off the Geno token was a mistake , I can see them keeping the video like how it is now , rather than doing a new one that would pretty much confirm him.

Last edited:

Laszyking456

Smash Apprentice
Speaking of third party partnerships, have any Fire Emblem Heros spirits been seen yet? I know nothing about the game so I don't think I'd even recognize the original characters if they did.
Well they have fire emblem heroes music in the game.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Not the most inaccurate route to take, as the chairs were used in a kiddy web show that no one here watches with PP in it. :ultpiranha:

However, Sakurai blinking is really just comedic timing for his "man, I wonder when I'll take a break :4pacman:" gag. No hints there, however obscure. Even the dice make more sense.

Last edited:

Ring-a-Sheep

Smash Ace
Oh my gosh I can't handle the hype lol

Are they really going to do a Geno T-pose reveal at the VGA ?!?! At this point , it would surprise me that Geno is an online token icon and that's it.

Also. Did anyone saw the chocobo hat for the miis ? Because if It's not even in , why would they bring back the Geno Mii costume and that's it ?!

Also , the theory that showing off the Geno token wasn't intentional... I can trust it. If they delete the video , upload a new one without the Geno token , everyone and their mothers would scream "GENO IS IN !".
Also , it was live-streamed , and with reactions videos... Yeah , if showing off the Geno token was a mistake , I can see them keeping the video like how it is now , rather than doing a new one that would pretty much confirm him.
Sakurai walks up on stage and starts talking "Today we would like to announce our first DLC character, a character you have all been waiting for" the display screen turns black as a T-posing model of Geno fades in with a 10 second long low quality midi of forest maze.

FCZHornet

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai walks up on stage and starts talking "Today we would like to announce our first DLC character, a character you have all been waiting for" the display screen turns black as a T-posing model of Geno fades in with a 10 second long low quality midi of forest maze.
I’ll take it!

DIY

Smash Apprentice
Out of curiosity, is there any website or person that is actively updating a list of confirmed spirits in the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom