• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe General Super Mario Discussion Thread - "It'sa Me, Mario!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.K

Level 55
My favorite thing to do in Mario Kart 64 was to coast at the back of the pack on Wario's Stadium, grab a Lightning Bolt, then fire it off right before the first few leading cars jumped over the gap. At this point, the person in 5th is now 1st, and the "good AI" have a really ****ty race, letting me stomp all over them.:awesome:

BSP

Smash Legend
dat kart 64 AI lol

I think Yink covered the drifting question. 100% honest, I don't think you'll need to in 64.

BTW, just incase you didn't know, toad's has the highest top speed (tied with peach and yoshi) and the highest acceleration to his top speed IIRC. If you want to go as fast as possible, stick with him.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
dat kart 64 AI lol

I think Yink covered the drifting question. 100% honest, I don't think you'll need to in 64.

BTW, just incase you didn't know, toad's has the highest top speed (tied with peach and yoshi) and the highest acceleration to his top speed IIRC. If you want to go as fast as possible, stick with him.
Thanks for the advice. I guess I will be a SSB64Kirby main and a MK64Toad main. Just curious is there a tier list for the Mario Kart games?

BSP

Smash Legend

Thanks for the advice. I guess I will be a SSB64Kirby main and a MK64Toad main. Just curious is there a tier list for the Mario Kart games?
http://www.gamespot.com/n64/driving/mariokart64/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-40678333&pid=197860

There's some good discussion there. I'm still pretty sure Toad has the highest acceleration to his top speed.

Anyway,

Lightweights

Heavyweights

Mario and Luigi

Lightweights are the fastest, Heavies and Mids are about the same speed, but Heavies make the lighter people spin out, so they're better.

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
And for some reason, heavies are better in Super Circuit. I've seen a ton of time trials done in SC using Bowser.
I think the ranking for heavies in SC, IMO, is:
1. Bowser
2. Wario
3. DK

BSP

Smash Legend
I never played SC :(

I need to get on that. At least in MKW, they somewhat balanced the weight classes out. Just imagine if one of the classes didn't have thier version of the big 3 lol

Silk

Smash Apprentice
I just wanted to come in and mention that I love the Mario series music.

It may not be as grand a scale as some games, but damn those retro Mario games have tunes that I swear stay with you forever.

And I think that the fan remixes for the Mario series are by far the best.

Check out this Super Mario Bros. Underground Rock Remix

That's probably my favorite of the bunch.

Next would have to go to the Castle Remix

BSP

Smash Legend
Mario Music is like Sonic music: It's going to be good regardless of anything else.

BSP

Smash Legend
I haven't played much into Megaman's games, but of the few I've played, his music is great too.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Mario music pre-2005 was good, exceot for the OST of Super Mario Sunshine.

Post-2004, the magic disappeared.

Sonic and Pokemon are really the only franchises that kept a steady stream of quality music.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Mario music pre-2005 was good, exceot for the OST of Super Mario Sunshine.

Post-2004, the magic disappeared.

Sonic and Pokemon are really the only franchises that kept a steady stream of quality music.
The **** you talkin about

Super Mario Galaxy (2) Music is freaking amazing

BSP

Smash Legend
I'm with Ulti. Galaxy was/is pretty impressive.

But Sonic is always good. That's my favorite thing about his games. Music is always going to be good.

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
I'm with Ulti. Galaxy was/is pretty impressive.

But Sonic is always good. That's my favorite thing about his games. Music is always going to be good.
Same. I've got a ton of Sonic music on my MP3 player :p

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I gotta say, I'm not a huge fan of the whole 80s buttrock power metal thing Sonic music has going on most of the time nowadays.

And Sonic 4 just had horrible music that did not even compare to the Genesis/Master System music.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
When I say "quality music," I mean music that is jumpy and catchy, and make the experience of playing in the level all the sweeter, music that I am going to remember and sing in my head for days on end.

Galaxy 2's soundtrack is beautifully made, I won't deny it. But unlike the tunes of old, I'm not going to remember the tune by the end of the day.

It's really a matter of taste at this point. Where people prefer epic, slow, orchestrated songs, I prefer bouncy, lively tunes that simply makes my day brighter.

Sonic kinda ditched the 80s rock themes around Sonic 06 and Secret Rings, save for a few instances such as Sonic Colors's Asteroid Coaster and Terminal Velocity zones. It's returned back to the peppy songs it was known for, and took a crack at worldly themes and orchestras, with some results.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
That's good to hear. I'm still looking forward to playing Sonic Colors actually as I hear it's pretty good!

As for Galaxy's Music. It is incredible and epic, and fitting for those games. I don't think something like that would work with Sonic though. Sonic needs energetic and catchy music.

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
@Sonic Storm
@BSP
@Segtendo

LOLz
ppl don't even need to read those inb4 posts of you guys... just look at your avatars... xD you're obviously Sonic lovers. xD
joke!!!

Besides, I also think Sonic has great music, I just rather others though.

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
MP8 felt like a let down, but I guess it was coming since there's not much left to do for the Mario Party series.

...Except put it on wifi
Also add Sonic!
And apparently get Square Enix involved....I know it's not a "Mario Party" but it might as well be...

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Hahaha ya. Yo I like your Yoshi Sig man. You should see my Mario and Yoshi sig. :p

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
☯ Ranmaru made me want to play Super Mario World again... and I think...... I'm going to do that now. O_o

☯ Anyone have Mini Land Mayhem?

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I have SMW on VC, but it's impossible to play with the Gamecube controller setup, and I don;t have the Classic Controller.

Good thing I've got Super Mario Advance 2.

As for Galaxy's Music. It is incredible and epic, and fitting for those games. I don't think something like that would work with Sonic though. Sonic needs energetic and catchy music.
I don't know, other franchises that don't have the same quirk as Sonic's have employed the same kind of pulse-pounding music. The Kirby games up to Squeak Squad and Magic Mirror had music nothing short of awesome, and the Pokemon games have amazing, catchy battle themes, especially the RBY Gym Leader theme, Colloseum's Semifinal theme and Willie theme, and DPPt's Frontier Brain theme. If franchises like the puzzle-themed Kirby and even the turn-based RPG Pokemon have music befitting of stuff you could jam to like Sonic's, I had hoped that Mario's platforming games would have music akin to the "get up and go" attitude his NES games did.

Or perhaps I'm setting way too high and biased of a standard for the franchise, lol.

mystery_dungeon

Smash Journeyman
Sidemoon Sidemoon. Welc welc ome welc omeome.
I have SMW on VC, but it's impossible to lay with the Gamecube controller setup, and I don't have the Classic Controller.

Good thing I've got Super Mario Advance 2.
I wouldn't say impossible, just awkward. I've beaten Super Mario World with a Gamecube Controller before. It kinda grows on you after the first 2-3 worlds IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom