• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Ness discussion

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I just wasn't aware of the thunder jacket at first. Once I saw psi magnet I realized it was the thunder jacket. Saving urself with pkt1 is only available in v 1.0 unfortunately...

otg

Smash Master
yea,

thats why yu make sure yur always playing version 1.0 homie
homie.....

if it's not version 1, it's definitely done.

i am the ness destroyer

ill take any ness

$5000 MM

(with marth)
good ****ing **** PC Jona! We're going to need you in the pound 78 Crews when people realize that Ness is the best character and we're up against 25000 all Ness teams.

legion598

Smash Ace
so i have some miscellaneous questions does anyone know if DJC first hit Fair> run away DJC Bair is legitimate shield pressure/tom foolery? can someone shield grab you if you just L cancel your Fair and run away?

if this doesnt work than what does work as shield pressure because I dont like spamming Dtilt after all my Fairs -_-

in version 1.0 can you pk thunder under ness and be saved by it when ur spiked into it similar to the safety net thing in PAL?

thanks in advance

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
it depends on how yu space the fair. even if you misspace it you might still be able to do it if they don't know when to counter oos. Especially if you conditioned them that sheildgrabbing or attack oos is bad with other sheild pressure games

and yes

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
So did anyone watch that mofo vid?

=P

Ness is pretty good combo'ing off of missed techs.

Please explain more shield pressure things.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
had the pleasure of playing some friendlies w/simna ibn sind today and he showed me the jackets and all that stuff, which i had never heard of. really cool stuff

how consistently can those moves be used during matches

GroovyGreenHat

Smash Cadet
Not as much as we'd like, unfortunately. First of all, I find that it's easier to land the YYG on some characters than other characters. Secondly, to reliably equip a thunder jacket (arguably the only useful jacket) you have to either get to the ledge and ledge-blast yourself before your opponent touches the YYG hitbox or have time to equip a spike jacket before going to the ledge. Against a person who knows anything about the YYG, it's very hard to do any deathline stuff because they know how to avoid it (easier on FD because it's flat, but still.) Even if you do equip a jacket, they can always just shield to remove it.

Despite all this, it's still good. I find it easiest to land the upsmash correctly if you predict a roll or are chasing a tech.

But hey, that's just me.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
Dear Yink

How are you? I hope you are doing well. Everything is good on my end. I hope to hear from you soon.

Love
Junglefever

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Dear Yink

How have you been? I haven't heard from you in a while, so I was a bit worried. I am anticipating your return. Write me back when you can.

Regards
Hokuto

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Hey Yink. How are you doing?

On topic: Combo'ing floaties with nair is so awesome. Now I have to get my djc faster and learn to shffl lol.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Hey. I'm the new mod here, and I actually DO use Melee Ness :laugh:

Gotta say, my favorite thing right now is those uthrow combos. (gonna probably seem like a melee newb)

.Marik

is a social misfit
David. <3

I was playing Blowtoes in Ness dittoes, and he has the worst grab I've ever encountered.

It's quite depressing. Still fun to use for DJC techniques and mindgames.

Bottom 3 for sure though.

GroovyGreenHat

Smash Cadet
Ness' grab is tiny, but at least it's fast (as long as you jc it, which you always should). I don't often have too much trouble with offensive grabbing, but shield grabbing with Ness is the most difficult; it's almost impossible against anybody who knows anything about spacing.

How do you handle the Marth matchup? Ness' fair and dash attack have roughly the same range as Marth's fsmash, but it's still hard to approach. Still, you can combo Marth to ~30% with nothing but djcffluairs. Edgegaurding Marth is also tough; I mostly use PK Fire and Nair, but it doesn't always work...

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
If you have problems grabbing wd -> dashjcgrab. I have an easier time landing grabs as Ness than I do as Peach.

Marth is annoying. Dashdance/wd around a lot to bait him. When you land a hit, make sure it always combos into something else. Nair combos him, uair combos him

Oh and you can dair above his shield if he's bad.

Anybody got any shiek tips? I know you can dashdance around to bait the f-tilt but I suck at that. How do you get around her f-tilt? And does she really have a cg on Ness or do I suck at di?

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Zelda's grab is pretty bad.
Agreed, but it's still pretty obnoxious how bad his grab is. -_- I mean, I don't know if I'm right with this or anything but, does Ness' dashgrab actually make it SHORTER?

*waits for thesage*

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
That's very helpful kirbykaze. There has to be something Ness can do to Shiek. He has such **** combos on her, but they're so hard to start up...

@The Irish Mafia: Everytime I watch a mofo video, my Ness improves a ****ton. Yay more mofo videos.

@Yink: Almost every characters dashgrab has more range than their standing grab. It's just that Ness' dashgrab is one frame slower than his standing grab and has a lot of lag. If you do dash -> jc grab or even wd -> dash -> jc grab, your grabrange is extended (cuz you're moving forward while grabbing) and you don't have so much endlag.

And Zelda has the worst grab ever. WTF SO BAD!!!! She can't even combo most characters with it if her opponents have di.

Just compare Ness's dash jc grab with Peach's and you'll understand what I mean. Dumb ***** doesn't move a bit while Ness slides like a smooth mofo.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Sorry for the double post, but the edit button doesn't exist in my version of firefox lol.

Link to said mofo videos on Sleepyk's channel? Can't find them....

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
That's very helpful kirbykaze. There has to be something Ness can do to Shiek. He has such **** combos on her, but they're so hard to start up...
I think you kind of have to just play off what she's doing. Ness making the first real move (not counting screwing around with spaced Fairs or other defensive, fairly safe nonsense) is asking for trouble.

Her ground game (discounting the possibility that she donates her game to pure movement) is fairly 2-dimensional.

She has a few really high risk, high reward attacks that cover a lot of space and keep her fairly mobile (dash attack, and most forms of her grab), and then she has a more stationary, poking, wall type game (tilts, shield, d-smash, SH aerials sort of count too because she has such low aerial mobility and high jumps).

I'll probably continue contemplating this later. Maybe that can help for now?

Top Bottom