• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social General Ice Climber Chat

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Unless you block it with a different appendage...
That's feasible. However, a knee or elbow is easily countered with an electric knee and fire elbow, respectively. And denuding as a form of intimidation is banned, so the male appendage shouldn't be useful in that regard.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Spaced b-air is good for pressuring shields. For some reason whenever I hit a shield, attacking feels safer than grabbing; usually I'll do something like b-air -> d-smash (surprisingly good) to shield poke, or b-air -> b-air/f-smash/u-tilt if I think they'll drop their shield.
ff auto-cancel b-air -> d-smash is amazing, and it's good for more than only shield pressure. People should try it out if they don't already. It's hard to explain, but if you pressure the space around an opponent with the b-air, baiting them into the d-smash is easy, and the two moves cover each other well. It's become habit for me and it works almost every time I use it.

Vts

Smash Champion
sorry i haven't been talking here for a while been busy testing some stuff and getting better.

got some crew battle matches of my playing my IC and doing pretty good.

first crew battle i only take 3 stock :(
second crew battle i take 8 stock like a beast :)
and third crew battle i take 4 stock and they are the 4 stock of one of there 2 power hitters (he also got 2nd in the tournament so i was happy to beat him).

also releasing a crappy trailer for my combo video "Brain Freeze" today or tomorrow for just the videos from the tournament so may suck or may look alright.

plan on adding at least 1 newer one when i get little better and the final combo video will be 5-6m long and full of almost all non-grab combos

or so i say lol.

but keep the faith u guys i've gotten a lot better recently, just watch urself play and u get better u see where u need to work on.

also that flow chart is missing d-smash a lot lol

Binx

Smash Master
are you chu or wobbles > yes > which one? > Wobbles > did you control your anger? > no > 12-state killing spree > go to jail > get ***** lmao

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i went to a davis tournament a couple weeks ago

i lost to The King (Puff) and Shroomed (Doc)

ahhhh tough stuff

norcal players = so good

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
So me and some Dallas Melee smashers found an alternate version of the ICs freeze glitch, and we were able to recreate it.

Basically, Ganon grabbed my Nana while I was recovering and, channeling the spirit of Cort, I forward+b'ed and Ganon froze while b-throwing my Nana. The throw's hitbox stayed out (only hit me once though), and Ganon unfroze when I attacked him.

We wanted to get back to smashing, so we tested it out briefly on Marth and Falcon and couldn't do it to either of them. Then again, given the freeze glitch's frame specific timing and NO idea when I'm supposed to do it, it would be tough assuming it's doable.

Just thought I'd share :)

Edit:

Hey, a flow chart.

Am I on there?

No: Twelve state killing spree D:<
Yes: Awesome.

byron

Smash Apprentice
Dont you guys hate it when nana is on the tip of the ledge and she is stuck in her "trying not to fall animation" and you can't up-b? she just looks down and watcher you fall to your death. then she turns around and gets f-smashed :laugh:

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Wow, I really can't transition between Melee and Brawl very fluently anymore. I just played worse at a tourney than I ever have since something like mid-2008.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Does anyone know if blizzard be easily crouch cancelled? Or rather, if an opponent gets caught in Nana's desynched blizzard, and you go in for a wavegrab/smash with her male counterpart, will Popo be susceptible to getting owned by a crouch cancel counter?

The reason I'm asking is because I find it difficult to approach with ICs. Their nair just has terrible priority, and wavedash > shield approaches just aren't cutting it for me. Fair is too situational for me to feel I can rely on it. Dair lacks range and has essentially no frontward coverage. Uair is somewhat dependable (if you're approaching an opponent who is airborne), but is idiotic to use as an approaching move against an opponent on the ground.

Furthermore, none of their other b moves are very effective as an approach. Desynched iceblocks are too easily dodged/batted away, and only rarely do they slip under a shield. The others have absolutely no practicality or even application at all.

Finch

Smash Lord
Does anyone know if blizzard be easily crouch cancelled? Or rather, if an opponent gets caught in Nana's desynched blizzard, and you go in for a wavegrab/smash with her male counterpart, will Popo be susceptible to getting owned by a crouch cancel counter?

The reason I'm asking is because I find it difficult to approach with ICs. Their nair just has terrible priority, and wavedash > shield approaches just aren't cutting it for me. Fair is too situational for me to feel I can rely on it. Dair lacks range and has essentially no frontward coverage. Uair is somewhat dependable (if you're approaching an opponent who is airborne), but is idiotic to use as an approaching move against an opponent on the ground.

Furthermore, none of their other b moves are very effective as an approach. Desynched iceblocks are too easily dodged/batted away, and only rarely do they slip under a shield. The others have absolutely no practicality or even application at all.
The trick to beating people with any character is using the right moves at the right time. ICs don't have a best option for approach, and they don't have as good approaches as characters like fox, sheik, or marth, but they do have a correct option for approaching no matter what the situation. Your job as a player is to figure out which one is correct and use it. If your opponent is jumping a lot, approach with uair or utilt. If they are standing on the ground wavejab them. If they are utilting approach with fair. If they are trying to CC then grab them. Think about approaching as playing rock, paper scissors: try to figure out situations in which they will throw rock and then throw paper.

Also wobbles I've experienced that glitch a couple times against a falco and a falcon, so I don't think it's character specific just really rare. I also believe that both times were on Dreamland, if that has anything to do with it.

Vts

Smash Champion
hey wobbles how often are you really in dallas texas?

cus i think it would be great if you taught another IC some stuff :)

cus i may go to dallas for a brawl tournament but more of to visit a friend.

and i can show you how terrible i am :D

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I like to space Bairs or Ftilts.

Sometimes I'll desynch out of a dash-dance and Dash attack with Popo while I SH- Blizzard with Nana
Yea, I like to space bairs when I don't think my opponent will relinquish a grab to me and when I'm desperate for a KO. But ftilts don't have much range and are pretty punishable. Occasionally I'll wavedash > ftilt just to get my opponent offstage/on the grand if he misses the tech. But I generally don't think ftilt is very good. I actually overuse it at low percents (compared with wavejab, which I should definitely be spamming more).

My struggle has always been choosing the correct move. So Finch's advice is really good for me. :)

Binx

Smash Master
If the CC the blizzard they will get hit by the rest of it and be in stun, what bothers me more is when Fox shines during it and reflects it at me, doesn't happen often though and I'm not entire sure he can do it once he gets hit with part of it.

Zjiin

Smash Master
Yeah, i'm pretty sure fox can't reflect it if he gets hit by the snow first. Also, if he reflects it, you can just grab him out of it still.

Finch

Smash Lord
I've never tried it, but it just occurred to me that if fox tries to reflect the blizzard back at you, you can just roll behind him and grab with popo since he'll be stuck in his shine.

Edit: Wow I just said the exact same thing that zjin said.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I've never tried it, but it just occurred to me that if fox tries to reflect the blizzard back at you, you can just roll behind him and grab with popo since he'll be stuck in his shine.

Edit: Wow I just said the exact same thing that zjin said.
Great minds think alike, right?

Rolling to desynched blizzard as a method of escape from Foxes who like to put on the pressure is something I'm going to start testing out. I highly doubt an experienced spacy main would attempt to reflect it.

schoin

Smash Cadet
Would you be able to get the distance from the roll from nana to behind fox? Sorry I'd check it myself but during exams and rents have taken melee from me :(

Finch

Smash Lord
I just tested it and you definitely could roll behind him. As for experienced foxes reflecting the blizzard, colbol has done it to me a few times but I don't think you'll find a lot of fox players that will since there seems to be a lot of better options to get over it. I've pretty much stopped doing it for the most part since it gets predictable. It's really only useful against a player that's approaching you a lot on the ground, and you won't find a lot of players doing that to you anyway since they don't want to get cc grabbed.

Top Bottom