• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social General Ice Climber Chat

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Wobbles, I guarantee you that you're still much better at ICs dittos than I am, lol.

I can't stay for singles, but I'll be rooting you on from afar!

A N D R E

Smash Cadet
IC dittos are too good. I played one with FLY at West Coast Smash League, and they are actually fun if you are trying to win and you kinda have an idea of what to do. They can go either way, UNLESS of course you know what you are doing. Just like Fox and Marth dittos. Who cares if they are "stupid" lol, I think it would be fun if all the best IC players can play each other in dittos.

I won't mind it when all the ppl look at me saying "ugh, ic dittos are stupid" I have fun playing them lol

Binx

Smash Master
@ Fly - grab MORE

Now I know it sounds crazy but in teams its a lot harder for them to space effectively because there is so much less room, also ICs are hard to punish as hard in teams, the risk for them getting grabbed will always be a smash attack at the least, vs faster falling characters it could lead to early edgeguards, also people tend to shield more in teams so grabbing becomes that much better. Personally I just get right in peoples face, wavedash grabs, dash grabs, nairs on their shield then try and buffer dsmashes for if they grab me, and good ol' wavesmashes.

Once they start jumping alot I start approaching with short hop uairs and full hop up airs with some nairs mixed in after 100%

Basically in teams though once I have the person mostly used to me being aggressive and having them be defensive a bit more I mainly watch for openings when the other guy is hitting my partner and go for wave downsmashes on that person.

I'm tired but Im pretty sure most of this is decipherable. so yay

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Once they start jumping alot I start approaching with short hop uairs and full hop up airs with some nairs mixed in after 100%
Yea, that's a good point. It seems like people try to stay in the air a lot against ICs to avoid getting grabbed. Uair counters this response wonderfully (soooo much damage/priority) if spaced correctly. Nair is like Peach's, with less priority and knockback. But throwing out nairs Cort/Wife-style (in prediction of a jump, to nail 'em as they leave the ground) seems like a good way to land a stronger hit at ^percents to get the opponent offstage.

Can anyone tell me what fair is good for? I never know when to use it, or why.

platiepoos

Smash Apprentice
So how good is an IC's team that outnumbers the opponent 4-2? ^_^

And on that note, 4 player IC's free for alls on Yoshi's Story is the funnest thing in existance.

Binx

Smash Master
Yea, that's a good point. It seems like people try to stay in the air a lot against ICs to avoid getting grabbed. Uair counters this response wonderfully (soooo much damage/priority) if spaced correctly. Nair is like Peach's, with less priority and knockback. But throwing out nairs Cort/Wife-style (in prediction of a jump, to nail 'em as they leave the ground) seems like a good way to land a stronger hit at ^percents to get the opponent offstage.

Can anyone tell me what fair is good for? I never know when to use it, or why.
Many many people jump as predictably as a noob rolls, its a habit most people never have pointed out to them because its tough to realize that jumping isn't safe at high levels of play, people jump a lot without a reason to do it, jumping over someone is a predictable and punishable move, running through someone with fox, or wavedashing through them with Ice Climbers is just as punishable but its risky to try and punish you for it because if you are going to shield then they might eat some damage. People leave the ground too often and when you do you go to high in the air, all your best options, especially as an IC player are on the ground.

Fair is a really good spacing tool vs crouch cancelers, it's risky to go for a grab vs characters like peach cause they can outrange it while crouching, you can't jab or dash attack a crouching peach so whats left?, a well spaced fair bashing her into the floor. It also does a lot of damage and has decent range above you, so I sometimes use it in place of an upair if I know its gonna be one I can't combo from, the damage is usually fresher and it makes me feel frisky.

So how good is an IC's team that outnumbers the opponent 4-2? ^_^

And on that note, 4 player IC's free for alls on Yoshi's Story is the funnest thing in existance.
Ice Climbers lose a lot of power in teams because their recovery is really gimpable, and they don't have room to shield pressure like they should be.

For anyone who hasn't read this,

four aspects of melee

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I never really thought of using fair against crouch cancelling. Thanks, Binx.

The thing that's nice about hitting your opponent into the ground is that you can do a thunders combo for a free grab. Take that, CC whores!

Zjiin

Smash Master
Imo, ICs in team are fantastic, as long as your partner knows what he's doing. Eddie and I use to do this all the time. If someone was giving him a hard time, i would lock them in chaingrabs or wobbling since it's usually not banned in teams. On top of that the amount smash attacks that can kill makes for great finishers for people who Marth might have trouble finishing off at high percentages. Recovering has never been a problem, and if it was, you have your partner to make sure you don't get edgeguarded. I could usually hold three stock while the rest of the players were on their last. On top of that, opponents usually don't haev time to go after nana, since they are worried about the two active players on the same.

We've fought a lot of top player teams and done extremely well for a character who supposedly sucks in doubles. Learn to handle your character instead of working on just chaingrabs and you'll be able to hold out fine.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I actually won money for the first time in tournament a few weeks ago in teams. I was ICs, and my partner was Peach. We avoided each other like the plague, and it went pretty well.

Binx

Smash Master
Haha, I do best in teams with Sheik probably, but I've always done well with ICs as well, but its those Fox teams and stuff that just shut you out SO bad, throw 1 fox on their team and it's just too hard IMO.

Binx

Smash Master
The problem with Fox is that he is so fast if he doesn't create bad openings you can't do much, normal grab combos and such you would have are disabled, and he can just shine all day and then leave you recovering while he goes and saves his partner every once in a while. I'm pretty sure Fox is the best teams character in the game by a long shot, he has killing power from anywhere in the stage, he has very very low lag and is super quick in both the air and on the ground.

Zjiin

Smash Master
/agree

It's also very annoying that this new wave of smashers is basically consisted of overly technical foxes and falcos. They won't even come close to winning any tourneys, but they'll give my ice babies one hell of a time. I have to play Kels a lot, and he's up there with CunningKitsune for most technical fox player in the area. I just go Samus against him since he's perfected shining climbers blind.

Binx

Smash Master
I'd imagine samus having an even worse match up than ICs, but if it works it works I guess. I ditto or Sheik most of the Foxes I play, either way it kind of sucks.

Binx

Smash Master
In the drunken smash tier list ICs are way broken cause all you have to do is shield and wobble, no one can space and no one can L cancel haha.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
But can wobbling be accomplished after a few beers? Pressing A rhythmically... could pose quite a challenge!

Binx

Smash Master
My rhythm gets better when I'm drunk? or at least I think it does and thats what counts, and even If I'm wrong grabs + smashes plus bad drunken DI = win.

Binx

Smash Master
I've been using the nair a LOT more often lately, its completely ****. Nobody expects you to be aggressive in the air, its always slow fairs or high uairs, nairs really nail people trying to keep "correct" spacing from a uair. I mostly just use it vs fast fallers though. Never gotten a good tech chase out of one, but I love it at medium low percents for distancing and general pressure

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I've been using the nair a LOT more often lately, its completely ****. Nobody expects you to be aggressive in the air, its always slow fairs or high uairs, nairs really nail people trying to keep "correct" spacing from a uair. I mostly just use it vs fast fallers though. Never gotten a good tech chase out of one, but I love it at medium low percents for distancing and general pressure
Yea, against floaties (or fast fallers at medium percents) SoPo's downthrow > nair > dsmash is pretty ****. I actually overuse nair because I think I'm Peach or something.

I don't drink so I don't know lol.
You and I both, man.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
LMAO nice sig chivalruse.

the secret to beating jeff is blocking that **** button from his hand

Top Bottom