• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social General Ice Climber Chat

Pookiez

Smash Apprentice
what about L cancelling, is that worth it i mean i do it a few times here and there i keep forgettin about it but is it even worth it??? does it have a large impact??
I have also notice that because I'm attempting to L cancel always, even if i get hit towards the ground i will automatically just tech the floor even if my original intention of hitting L was to L cancel and not tech.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
my combos are really sexy, i have been recording a lot these days guys. i got a tape with like 2 hrs of footage yesterday, over 2/3 of it is me using ic's.

dj asakura

Smash Ace
exciting :)

just sharing something i've been using as a possible mindgame/desynch thing

desynch near the edge when the opponent is approaching from the middle of the stage. have nana ice block, popo WD to the ledge to gain some invincibility frames and have nane shoot another ice block and have popo ledgeWD onto the stage and ice block chase.

i'm sure not many will use it but its been working well for me since no one expects a lot of people to block chase from the ledge like that.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
LOL I found something that is probably pretty useless but cool-looking.

Fthrow > Bair: Popo Fthrows, Nana Bairs the enemy back to you, allowing you to follow up however you please. LOL, I don't see much use for it but ****, it looks so cool. Whether Nana fulljumps or shorthops depends on character. LOL it's hot stuff.

[edit] Sheild-stun desynch: I think I've already mentioned this but I've been getting a lot of mileage out of this. Let's say that a Ganon throws out a well-spaced Fair at you. Popo hard-sheilds, Nana light-sheilds and IMMEDIATELY drop it. Since Light sheilds suffer more sheild stun than Hard-sheilds, Popo will release his sheild first, allowing him to act first. Against attacks that slide us too far out to sheild-grab, I found this desynch somewhat useful. I usually make Popo block > Nanapult > Popo follow-up. It adds variety to our OoS desynchs(Grab/Roll/Dodge/UpB)

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Is this desynch old?

You run to the edge and as soon as you start the toppling animation, run back. If you do it fast enough, Nana will be desynched.

dj asakura

Smash Ace
i'm pretty thats a more common thing that people just dont use. i could be wrong but i'm sure its known.

props on finding it yourself though :)

chok, how's the vid coming?

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i'm pretty thats a more common thing that people just dont use. i could be wrong but i'm sure its known.

props on finding it yourself though :)

chok, how's the vid coming?
slowly but surely. it's due winter, just be patient yall :)

cloudz

Smash Journeyman
i made one also actually...its not that good. ive had it for months but never told anybody about it.(i try sending it to girls but i forget smash brothers doesnt impress them, WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING TOO?!?!?!)

i tried to stay away from boring chaingrabs but i couldnt resist.

anyway...for one day of recording matches, its not that bad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpvTfOk048w

It has that cloud combo that i invented that everyone seems to like, thats all its got going for it though. hahaha

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
cloudz combo is interesting

your friend doesnt know how to escape the cg with DI xD!

don't let nana die so easily

edgehog a little more

just a combo vid trailer, but i can already see some habits that need improvement!

not a bad ic's keep it up!! i like cloudz combo.

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
I think Popo solo isn't very low tier at all. A couple of years ago, i told a friend that ICs were broken and to prove it, i would kill nana off every stock and play with just popo. Single IC groundgame is just 222222good.
Sometimes I find it slightly relaxing to have just one character to control for a stock or two, you don't have to worry about nana (or popo in my case because of the colours i choose) and it's a lot easier to sweet spot. Psy.

Zjiin

Smash Master
Sometimes I find it slightly relaxing to have just one character to control for a stock or two, you don't have to worry about nana (or popo in my case because of the colours i choose) and it's a lot easier to sweet spot. Psy.
I agree. Once Nana has been killed off, my whole game changes and it's almost a relief. Kinda weird since having both ice babies around isn't hard to control in the first place.

cllzzrd

Smash Apprentice
I was just wondering how you use B-> to gain a ton of height, and sideways distance? do you just press B-> and then hold up?

darkcheif55

Smash Cadet
I was just wondering how you use B-> to gain a ton of height, and sideways distance? do you just press B-> and then hold up?
o thats easy all u do is b--> and smash the B button lol when u have both of htem it can get as high as their double jump w/ one its roughly half of that

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
I think I figured it out: he does an aerial and messes up the L-cancel, so when he tries to wavedash Popo rolls. Nana wavedashes, and he inputs the jumping ice block thinking both of them will act. Only Nana is able to do anything though, so he does a retreating de-sync'ed short hop iceblock. Pretty cool, I think.

That's my hypothesis, anyhow.

dj asakura

Smash Ace
it almost seemed like he had popo shield and nana wavedash/waveland or something

i feel like he didnt do it on purpose though

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Aw, for a minute I thought it would have been a great comeback but then it turned into an upset -.-

Those IC's are quite good at desynch tricks. I especially like the down throw with popo, nana desynch to do a short hopped fair, and popo WDs to dsmash when the fair spikes. Fancy.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
Aw, for a minute I thought it would have been a great comeback but then it turned into an upset -.-

Those IC's are quite good at desynch tricks. I especially like the down throw with popo, nana desynch to do a short hopped fair, and popo WDs to dsmash when the fair spikes. Fancy.
I tech-chase with Dthrow Fairspike sometimes. Hot stuff.

You know what we need more than a new combo video? We need someone to finish that guide.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Thanks for the "feedback"^^
Sometimes when I play well I just like "desynch out of nowere", but yes it seems like wobbles said, but it should be possible to do on purpose (I mean just Nana iceblock, both has not the same point of getting you the "edge" in the match)

Takumaru

Smash Lord
I almost made a topic about this but I didn't. But if I had made a topic it would have read something like this:

So for the heck of it I was seeing how fast I could SHFFL D-airs across FD (I was that bored...) and I found a fun little trick. If you continuosly SHFFL D-airs with the ICs, the off-climber will d-smash everytime you use a D-air.

This is pretty much the FF->jump desynch and I have yet to play around with this more and I don't know if it has a practical application. Also this is probably something many people know but if not I figured why not make a topic about it.

I was crossing my fingers for some sort of nasty d-smash -> d-air chain similar to the D-throw -> d-air chain but so far it doesn't work... on a level 1 pichu. Heck if I can fit anything useful into this topic it's how useful d-air is for setting up desynch combos. Use it more. D-air and U smash. And B-air. And N-air.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
I tend to NAir and Fair more during desynch combos.

Nair usually sets up for a dash-attack which, if you aren't feeling the combo, is good for setting up Uair juggles. It's definitely good for the floaty characters who we can't combo that well(Samus, Peach, etc).

Fair has really good stun time, both on you opponent and with non-l-canceling lag so it allows more follow-ups for the free twin without breaking the desynch. It also, for the most part keeps them in one place because the Fair has almost no horizontal knockback. It's up to you what to follow up with. I usually tend to follow-up with another Fair, or a WDUsmash. On Fast-fallers, this can lead into a Fairspike which will lead into a sexy tech chase.

I can see where Dair may be useful though. Fairspikes send an opponent down if you knock them up. Usually into a tech-chase or a finisher. However, it is difficult (at least for me)to get the fairspike when I'm in the middle of a combo, trying to control both Nana and Popo. Dair doesn't reverse the momentum but it does completely halt it, Allowing different follow-ups(no tech-chase but juggle potential, I guess) but at the cost of stun time (for the opponent). It's good to change things up.

I went through this period where during Desynch combos, I'd constantly try to get nana to either toss a block or blizzard the opponent. Once I grew past that point and started using things like Ftilts, Nairs, Dtilts, Fairs, and Dash attacks, I felt my game step up immediately. I think I'm going to finish that desynch guide and post it.

Here's something cool. I pivotted a jab and had Nana dash attack the enemy. I then fairspiked them to the ground and fastfell. Nana happened to be where they were and jabbed them, making them stand up, giving me the grab! LOLz. Desynched Thunder's Combo FTW.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
I figured out how to make Nana dash attack backwards (finally). Start with a pivot/jab desynch, then dash attack with Popo (while Nana is lagging from her dash attack), then dash attack with Nana again, and tap the control stick in the other direction. Popo turns around, Nana gets confused and does a weird "moonwalking" dash attack.

D-tilt is an auto-tipper desynch at higher percentages. Popo's d-tilt will always knock the other player back before Nana's d-tilt can touch them, so Popo suffers lag and Nana doesn't.

Pivoting into an aerial makes Popo and Nana space out a lot, making it easy to desynch from hitlag. This one is pretty obvious, but I just started using it recently.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Something I've been toying with lately is desynch -> nana charging d-smash, popo lightshield. Tilt your shield towards the other player. If they attack the shield, release A.

Basically, you become really hard to approach. Their first instinct is to grab, but they'll immediately be d-smashed. Their second instinct is probably an aerial with continual shield pressure, but as soon as they touch the shield they are in d-smash range. **You can release the d-smash while you are in shieldstun and they are in hitlag.**

The thing is, you aren't stuck in your shield. If they decide to wait it out and not approach, you can simply continue the desynch by jumping/wavedashing out of shield, and maybe desynching ice blocks wavesmashes. If Marth tries to space an f-smash, you can roll or wavedash towards him out of the shield, Nana will slide towards you and hit him (if he's not expecting it).

Obviously it's not foolproof, and if the other player is patient enough they can avoid it, but mix it in maybe once or twice in a match, your opponent probably won't know what to do, and you'll land a free d-smash.

Top Bottom