• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social General Ice Climber Chat

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I'm pretty sure Larry has done that to me before. I've also had Foxes SDI the dair up and inwards and then shine me.

I'm starting to do better with Sheik against Peach than ICs, which actually kind of bothers me. I plan on devoting a lot of time this week on brainstorming methods of dealing with Peach things that cause me problems, because I hate relying on my secondaries. Chances are I'll continue using Sheik for the match-up unless I somehow discover something amazing, which is really improbable.

I can't completely neglect the match-up, of course. Aside from Mango, the two people in Socal whom I'm most scared to play in singles are Connor and McCain. The thing with Connor is that there is no way in hell my Sheik would ever beat his Fox, so I'll still have to deal with the ICs-Peach match-up against him to avoid getting horribly butchered during CPs.

*P*L*U*R*

Smash Hero
The thing about foxes being techchased if that they usually only do 1 of 2 things where they're being pressured, straight shine out or spotdodge. I'd think that the shine only works if they are confident about their timing but if they aren't they usually spotdodge out. Rattling their confidence makes them prone to spotdodge more.

At low percents you can dthrow usmash and regrab. After that, they probably won't di the dthrow dair correctly leading into another grab/blizzard. That's like 50/60 percent easy

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
The thing about foxes being techchased if that they usually only do 1 of 2 things where they're being pressured, straight shine out or spotdodge. I'd think that the shine only works if they are confident about their timing but if they aren't they usually spotdodge out. Rattling their confidence makes them prone to spotdodge more.
The foxes you play don't ever buffer roll? :confused:

At low percents you can dthrow usmash and regrab.
Better yet, dthrow charged fsmash regrab. They'll be mad confused and start DI'ing your other chaingrabs wrong. :laugh:

*P*L*U*R*

Smash Hero
Think its just spacies in general are more likely to spotdodge->shine out. Its not that they never buffer rolls. Its just kind of a trait of all spacey users. Like how ic mains tend to sheild more. Gaw mains tend to lightsheild more. Falcon mains roll more, etc.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Think its just spacies in general are more likely to spotdodge->shine out.
Many of the good ones omit the spot-dodge on occasion. And they often roll, too, because roll is invaluable.

All of this can be overcome by learning their tech animations and tech chasing properly, however. With Sheik, anyway.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
fly

for peach, if u wanna beat connor

i think u should try to watch his habits and try to beat the connor-specific peach rather than peach as a character. peach is very adaptable and has like 10 different ways to beat ic's easily (have u ever played pink shinobi? lol :() so if u can adapt back to connor's peach specifically, i know you can do it. it's totally different from mccain's.

sheik may be a stress reliever, but from watching you i believe you can beat both connor and mccain with just ic's.

it's up to you though, it's just a matter of what you feel comfortable and confident with in tournament, cuz if you get demoralized with ic's in tournament, of course it's not a good idea to just try and will-power your way through game 2.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i agree with you actually

but this is just cuz i have veryyyyy little experience against ganon compared to peach

i bet if i spent a day with bizzarro flame i could figure it out. that'd be fun actually

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Honestly, even though I always say I'm going to use so-and-so character against Peach from now on right after losing to one, I always end up going ICs again anyways. I think I was just playing really poorly at the last tourney I went to and I'm confident I can do better next time.

Ganon is annoying, but Peach is worse.

edit: Bizzarro Flame is bad at the match-up.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Hmm, anyone got lots of experience against DK?, lost to Nedech last tournament, and I think I mixed up too little :/

A situation that happened often was me desynching Nana blizzard and he spaced bairs alot.

The killing% seems really high against him, anyone knows when he should get KO'd guarantied?

Finch

Smash Lord
I beat rockcrock's dk last time I played him. idk how. I think if you have good spacing and don't run into his stuff DK has a really hard time with the matchup. I use desynched iceblocks a lot and it's really easy to get a grab that way. There's not much he can do to you if you just approach with your shield.

idk DK sucks against ICs. Just be defensive and he gets owned. He's easy to combo with uair and reverse dair chaingrab works against him. Edgeguarding is tricky. I go for bairs.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
the best strategy with dk is to try to spam bairs, so just avoid that

watch out for weird giant punch or ground pound gimmicks

if u play ic normal u should be fine!

do you have vids? i'd like to see what Nedech did that was very effective

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
but he gets ***** by ice climbers

eskimos have been hunting animals for thousands of years

get at the kids

Smasher89

Smash Lord
they know what their doing
if they get a grab, it´s GG too
IC, Ice climbers, IC...

We kinda played for % lead, and both plays VERY patient (last tournamentset got matches to go 7min on PS without anyone of us really noticed until then, then he just kept the % lead (a 2vs1 stocklead) so I had a hard time approaching.

Well, as you suspected he played alot with those 3 moves(bair, and DK punch mostly), which I didn´t get a very good sollution to approach (when I didn´t have % lead lol). I know that I didn´t use too much uairs and that it might be a keymove, I just need to figure out good ways of manipulating those in, and a mayor thing is when does the dsmash kill?, i think I did it a few times at like 140% and still didn´t get the KO.

Dthrow CG sometimes seemed to work(mostly when not JCgrab) and sometimes not, any % on that?

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i think if u use ice blocks it'll force him to jump. i dont think short hop bairs sounds safe, it sounds like dk has to full hop or double jump to bair. i kno u both are patient but maybe if u take more initiative to wd approach and get under him you'll find that there are more opportunities than you think.

and im bad at cg's on heavies xD but i'd imagine like 20~50 the regular dthrow cg would work? or maybe even a lot higher than that, popo's dhrow trajectory feels similar to sheik's

play a lot of friendlies with him and try to figure out when to approach

PokemonMasterIRL

Smash Master
The Sheik match up is frustrating me, I feel as if all I can do is run foward/wavedash forward into shield and then wavedash back out of shield if the Sheik is playing it right.

Pocky D sort of hit the nail on the head, he said ICs are a very reactive character, when I said the above statement to him about feeling like all I could do was wavedash back out of shield vs Sheik.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Is it ok to be random with Icies? I mean, I'm just trying this on a computer now, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work on a person. But thats just me, I'm random. Imma try it, but what ya think?

Yeah, I definetly am having Icies as my secondary mains. Seriously, Icies are so awesome. I don't have all the character specific stuff down of the Icies, but I got some of the basics. Any tips? :3 Thank you in advance. (lets just assume I only really know how to play doc, because I feel as though I play icies the same, trying to play differently : D )

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Maybe, I'll keep that in mind.

I was really depressed about how I played at that tourney for a few days, but I'll try to step it up again.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I don't think the ice climbers can be played that random I play random as everyone esle but as ice climbers I just down-smash. A lot. A whole bunch. More than most people. I'm smarter than the average bear.

But I always thought that their air speed was to poor to do sh reverse dair So I always full hoped and timed it.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Well, regular non dair CG is very useful when just SoPo, that´s why I want to know how it works, and for me it´s easier to not mess up doing regular CG then dthrow/dair.

Dthrow dair>usmash damages peach much and puts her in a "bad" position, but I guess the choknatercombo can be more damaging...

I think now that the edgehog>nair works good, maybe should use that alot more.

Top Bottom