• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social General Ice Climber Chat

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Darkrain played sloppier than usual that whole tournament

Good **** to Wobbles regardless for mastering the handoff - the only truly inescapable chaingrab.

BC AL

Smash Journeyman
What happens here at :30?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20m_xWvSaFU&feature=related

I know virtually nothing of the IC's and I've seen ( or think I've seen) desynchs while the IC's are shielding. Can someone better explain this to me?
It's an out of shield Up B, it only propels Nana up for some reason but she is in perfect position of being desynched :)

umm a question how do you Up B when you re off the stage and sometimes u manage to grab the edge while nana flies upwards?

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Wobbles- Interesting edgeguard with Nana as a kind of wall on the ledge, maybe waveland to uair work if done really fast (but could mean to sacrifice Nana in worst case :/ )

Meme

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
6939 6733 3968
O: Really nice matches Wobbles, those matches really made me think viability of the hand-off for early kills.

I've started practicing those... recently I can consistently apply it on Peach so far on actual matches... XP

d<_< b...

And well next month I'll be going to a big tourney, so far looks like I'll represent ICs since there aren't many ICs users around here... If I can manage to, I'll try to upload vids of the matches there...

BTW - I usually have doubts on what to do when falling from above the stage, and the opponent is waiting below...

D-air doesn't do much I would like to know what everyone else does in that situation...

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
there are a few things you could do like di away and fast fall, di to the edge and down-B, ice block if farish, air-dodge, I also think fair is a little bit better than dair for that. Just do whatever you need to avoid being hit again also if they are fox you can easily SDI out of their upair be wiggleing the side.

Akasuna no Sasori

Smash Apprentice
So I've recently started using ICs and have a few questions. First off, in the few games I've got to play against another person using ICs, I tend to have a very hard time approaching (especially against Samus). I try WD into shield, which usually ends with Nana getting hit, chased, and killed (or at least damaged a lot so she dies easy later on). I try dash attacks, which have mild success for the most part, but I don't really know how to follow them up. When I try to wave smash or WD into grab, my opponent either shields it/dodges it, or hits me before the smash can come out.

So, to sum up what I'm asking: what could I be doing wrong in my approach? I know it's rather difficult to answer this since I have no video to show you what I'm doing, but general advice on how to properly approach might be useful?

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
So I've recently started using ICs and have a few questions. First off, in the few games I've got to play against another person using ICs, I tend to have a very hard time approaching (especially against Samus). I try WD into shield, which usually ends with Nana getting hit, chased, and killed (or at least damaged a lot so she dies easy later on).
Nana lags behind Popo's actions by like 10 frames or something. If you're going to shield an attack, make sure that Nana has those extra frames to put her shield up too. Also, lightshielding is really good. It can throw off your opponent's l-cancel timings and open them to shield grabs. It also has better coverage and reduces the chances of Nana getting shield stabbed.

I try dash attacks, which have mild success for the most part, but I don't really know how to follow them up. When I try to wave smash or WD into grab, my opponent either shields it/dodges it, or hits me before the smash can come out.
Mix up your timings. Be unpredictable. Don't just wavedash in and dash attack. Feint in and out with awkward wavedash timings and react to your opponent's movements. Attack when you think he'll be open, not just for the sake of attacking.

If you keep getting hit before your smash comes out, try wavejab -> dsmash or wavedash -> jab -> grab. It's noticeably faster.

So, to sum up what I'm asking: what could I be doing wrong in my approach? I know it's rather difficult to answer this since I have no video to show you what I'm doing, but general advice on how to properly approach might be useful?
Counter spam Samus with desynched ice blocks or interrupt her spam with full jumped ice blocks. Use platforms to get around her linear missiles and gradually use light shield dashing to close in on and pressure her.

Do safe things. Avoid using aerials to approach. If you're gonna use an aerial, let it be bair or uair. When you grab Samus, just dthrow upsmash and follow her from below with uairs for more potential damage.

Also, it helps to accept that Nana getting hit is inevitable. Be prepared to wavedash in and dsmash Samus as soon as she opens herself up by hitting / punishing / gimping Nana.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
What desynch is safest varies by match-up and position. I think DD -> blizzard is in many respects the best desynch, though.

edit: to elaborate on that, it's fast, not very telegraphed, and you can opt out of it at any point while inputting it.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Yeah that's what i was thinking I really want dd more with the ice climbers i'm trying not to be uber spamy and campy which funny because I never spam or camp woth anyone esle.

Akasuna no Sasori

Smash Apprentice
I got a chance to smash for a couple of hours today and played mostly as ICs and noticed a few more things...

Mix up your timings. Be unpredictable. Don't just wavedash in and dash attack. Feint in and out with awkward wavedash timings and react to your opponent's movements. Attack when you think he'll be open, not just for the sake of attacking.
This is something I try to do. I'll run in with a dash attack once or twice, then WD into shield then either WD into grab/smash if my opponent uses a move with a lot of hit lag, or WD into shield again if they use a move that knocks me back or has little lag, then after one or two times of that go back to a dash attack, then try a wavesmash, DD into attacks, etc. I try not to use the same approach too often.

My main problems I run into with approaching I think are I just don't have the experience yet to know what I need to do to punish my opponents. I seem to realize just a little too late that I have time to WD into grab after Samus misses a Fsmash, and by the time I realize and react Samus' lag is over and I either get tilted, Dsmashed, or spot-dodge to smashed. I just need to work on knowing when/how to punish and work on reacting fast enough to get the grab.

The fact that until I switched to ICs I rarely ever grabbed with other characters probably makes this more difficult for me :laugh:

If you keep getting hit before your smash comes out, try wavejab -> dsmash or wavedash -> jab -> grab. It's noticeably faster.
I tried this a few times after reading around some more on the ICs boards and hearing people say how useful it is. My problem is, especially against Samus, that I'll get hit by an Ftilt before I'm close enough to hit with a jab. I try to WD forward to bait the tilt, WD back, then WD forward again as fast as possible but I still end up running into the tilt before I can get in range. Is my spacing here bad or is my approach to getting around the tilt just wrong?

Counter spam Samus with desynched ice blocks or interrupt her spam with full jumped ice blocks. Use platforms to get around her linear missiles and gradually use light shield dashing to close in on and pressure her.
The Samus I play against (Auddy) is very agressive and surprisingly fast and good at comboing. How do I counter this style of Samus? I tend to get hit in the air alot and since ICs have no good moves for when they are above people I end up taking a good two or three hits, as well as getting sent off the edge, before I can get to a safer position (and while I'm trying to recover, Nana usually winds up dead). Also, Auddy likes to use bombs to screw up my approaches. He'll lay a bomb just before I reach him so that I can't avoid it, which ruins pretty much any follow-up I can think of.

DUB

Smash Lord
I like Roll --> Blizzard/Block alot.

I can desynch with aerials, right? I sometimes SH/FH a fair a ways infront of the opponent and then Ice Block or w/e. Sometimes nana is the first to IB and sometimes Popo is. Does desynching from aerials have a strict timing?

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
get ***** by a 15 yo pink haired girl

im getting really good at melee lol

ic's/falco/peach ftw

i never really played metagame

ive always been kinda anti-metagame

i love my playstyle though

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
im getting really good at melee lol
Or do you just think that because you've been playing Modesto too much? ;)

I wish I could use other characters, but it never works out. I feel like I'm playing a different game whenever I use another character because there are so many different things I have to worry about and the whole way I have to move/recover/approach/etc. is totally foreign to me.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Play marth
Never approach, just dtilt, retreating fair, and jab and watch for reactions.
if they get to close, up-b, dtilt or grab, uthrow and capitalize on it
repeat

Should only kinda work against fastfallers
It´s all about effectiviness instead of mindgames (even though some is needed)
So basicly just use what is hard to beat when you play as ICs against the character, and edgeguard more off the ledge

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Fly: Same. I used to have some degree of proficiency with Fox, Sheik, Puff, etc... now it's pretty much all gone and I can only get away with it in doubles :3

My Marth has been really shining lately though, for no real reason. I just kinda hit people a lot, and get really weird edgeguards. But yeah, it's tough maining ICs and using "real" characters lol

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
It is really when one does one the side side falls. The more falcon I play the worse my ice climbers are but the more ice climbers I play the worse everyone esle is why can't I have both?

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Or do you just think that because you've been playing Modesto too much? ;)
nah haha i usually have a good feel for how good i am, in comparison to vids and stuff. im a good judge of myself :p whenever macd and brandon come home to play, i usually do as well as i think im gonna do :D

i have puff matchup figured out pretty well, she can be brutal but so can you

im also getting better at the peach matchup... in tourny though i still probably wouldnt go ic's haha. i wanna play macd for a while before doing anything like that

PokemonMasterIRL

Smash Master
nah haha i usually have a good feel for how good i am, in comparison to vids and stuff. im a good judge of myself :p whenever macd and brandon come home to play, i usually do as well as i think im gonna do :D

i have puff matchup figured out pretty well, she can be brutal but so can you

im also getting better at the peach matchup... in tourny though i still probably wouldnt go ic's haha. i wanna play macd for a while before doing anything like that
T_T you dont go to tourneys....asd
faspdfjonakl;mrdf

MacD

Banned via Administration
noooooooooooooo fly, don't get teh hang of it, then i might lose and everyone will make fun of me cause i lost an easy match up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

ps andre, if i ever go home we can play, and i'm sooo mad i fell asleep monday afternoon, i could have smashed with darkrain and wobbles :(

Meme

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
6939 6733 3968
Usually 1v1 I'm ok with the Peach Match-up, as it is an accomplishment to win the match having the odds against ICs, though every once in a while go Ganon on it if I'm too lazy to play around baiting and all with ICs...

The only case I fully avoid using ICs would be on teams against Double Peach (Double the ***-Smashing), in this case I either go with Ganon or Doc/Norm. Mario.
Aside the case that my teammate tends to get betrayed by Nana while I'm on the other side of the stage.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Yeah, I go Sheik against double Peach and ICs against pretty much ever other team. My Sheik sucks, but that doesn't seem to matter much for some reason.

Top Bottom