• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social General Ice Climber Chat

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
You can interrupt up+b by grabbing the ledge at certain point; just play around with different heights and you should get it. Run off the stage -> turn around up+b cancel and wd off the stage -> up+b cancel also work.

Cia

das kwl
You can interrupt up+b by grabbing the ledge at certain point; just play around with different heights and you should get it. Run off the stage -> turn around up+b cancel and wd off the stage -> up+b cancel also work.

LOL! this whole post sounds more technical than anything I'd be able to do.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I feel like my ability to process information gets worse as a set goes. Like, I'll adapt decently well and make reasonably good decisions early on, but if my opponent starts doing things differently later on, I have a hard time adapting to that. I should fix that.

I think trying to actively follow an OODA loop might help.

BC AL

Smash Journeyman
i didnt know that! thanks
so basically theres like no official way to get it to work 100% of the time...:(

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
It works 100% of the time if you do right, I just meant the timing is kinda hard to explain so you have to play around with it. Try double jumping so you're level with the stage, and up+b at the peak of your jump. Wobbles covered it in his blog yesterday (near the end). http://eskimosister.blogspot.com/

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Oh yeah, I'm also curious about what people do to evade Peach after she respawns. I feel like I always lose a lot of momentum right after I take a stock off her.

edit: I have an outline of the CG thread I plan on writing. I think I'll write it today and tomorrow. There aren't all that many CGs listed since I feel like only a few of them are particularly good, but I plan on saying a lot about them. Still, there are weird CGs that probably have their merits and I might have stupidly forgotten something, so I'll post a rough draft here first and get some input on it.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Fly: Forward+b; works amazingly well :3. You can use a full jump plus forward+b to get over her head and cross most of the stage. You can also change direction while doing it, or just PRETEND you're going to change direction... you're pretty tough to predict while doing it.

Works great against Peach and alright against Marth. Not so good against Fox/Falco/Falcon though, they can cover too much ground.

Turazrok

Smash Master
Can IC's cg any of the low tiers? People tend to ragequit when I wobble >_<.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
they can chain throw everyone on the edge but pichu. and it depends on who like m2 is pretty easy to revesre dair. A lot of people can be just down-throw regrab.

But which one are you talking about.

Meme

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
6939 6733 3968
Well the time has come!

I'll be going to a national Tournament this week! I'll make sure to do IC's representation. ;D

Last time I placed 7th, I hope I do better this time, yush!

Wish me luck! (against random tippers and stitchfaces, that is)...

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I hope you **** soooo hard people will be like oh my goash wtf dude we just got ***** like everyone in mexico will be like d*** and You will be like a crushing mountain just rolling pass people smashing them and them becomeing part of you brokenly good force and us pros will be like waoh!!?? and canada will be gald they are farther away form mexico because they would just get steamrolled. But yeah go ****, win become a steamroller.

master of hype

Smasher89

Smash Lord
The OODA loop text was interesting, and gives some explanation to why playing as fast as possible is good, even though there might be some technical mistakes sometime. More players need to speed up again...

Smasher89

Smash Lord
PLayed some smash this weekend and someone said that Ganon always seem to be able to shieldgrab Falco between the dair and shine when tilting the shield upwars and making it take more time to land for the shine.
So tried som (only in teamsmatches though so could be missed Lcancels, but I remember I used somehing like this like 2 years ago that seemed to work. Do someone have any data on this?

Another thing is that I quite often for some time now has shielded an attack (falco´s dair for example) then grabed, but just with Nana (not sure how, but I think it´s just an "shieldhitlag desynch" )which has worked too many times(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93msipv1Tks second 13 for example), which makes me believe that no (maybe peach has an exception) attacks can hit the shield and safe escape the grab.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Is it possible that in PAL, different parts of Falco's d-air hitbox have different hitstun? To me it looks more like a missed fastfall.

I think at certain distances, though, you can outrange his shine hitbox. If you slide away a little bit, you can b-air oos without being hit by the shine at all. Sometimes I also manage to shieldgrab without the shine hitting me (the hitbox still comes out), but usually after a powershield (I'm not sure if that affects it).

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
The desynch you're talking about occurs because of the six frame delay between Popo and Nana.

To give an example of the sort of thing that happens, let's say Marth fairs the ICs shields such that the fair hits Nana's shield three frames after it hits Popo's shield and that you input a grab command the frame before Popo's shield stun ends. Popo doesn't do anything since he's still in shield stun when he receives the command. However, when Nana receives the grab command six frames later, she does grab since her shield stun ended two frames ago.

This sort of trick is amusing, although not terribly practical. I don't see how you come to the conclusion at the end of post #1141.

Meme

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
6939 6733 3968
Good news! I'm going back home from the tournament, and I placed on 5th place, I could've placed even higher but my nervousness overwhelmed me. I'll update the info and add vids when I get home d >_>b

PokemonMasterIRL

Smash Master
Good stuff Meme, I look forward to some vids of an Icy player I have never seen before.

And I think we dont use Side B as a combo move enough (The hammer hit) it has good hitstun and sends them at a nice trajectory.

Also I have been practicing doing the hand off near the edge, it is sometimes fun to mix it up at the end with a Fthrow to Ice Block, I find that it sometimes will take their second jump away as people tend to jump into the ice block, its only useful at mid percents when you know a smash isnt going to kill.

Also Backtracking is really sexy (Bthrow to wavedash grab with Nana on Spacies)
Like @ 0% you can Grab Bthrow to wavedash grab with Nana and then dash attack with Popo off of whatever throw she does and while you dash attack it often causes Nana to do a sliding Fsmash with your dash attack.

Its pretty fun.

Meme

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
6939 6733 3968
My rise an fall, these are the semifinals video...

D: I think the only thing other than mastering IC's I need to learn is to focus or I don't know all the people behind you, yelling, calling names etc... d@_@b

I should've won the set, too many screw-ups (first of all, the massive lack of CG) *sob*

Vs Aza

1st Match

2nd and 3rd match
---
Whole set vs Batu
*insert rage face here after re-watching my own set*

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i ilke how ic's can fly really high with squall and get easy ko's

they are really good at running away there

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
the point of RC is to run away

and ic's can fly up the platforms

the boat is just like a regular stage, ic's are not that bad there and can get early KO's

use squall to run away and dont let nana die, play kinda defensive until u can get good grabs off

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
On the rising part of the stage, I always try to stay below my opponent. ICs are very good at safely poking away at characters above them. However, it sucks to have your opponent below you since ICs can't protect themselves from below very well. Being at about the same height as your opponent can be problematic, because even though in most regards it's often similar to fighting on typical flat terrain, if you get hit, then you risk losing Nana due to stage funkiness. Oh yeah, it's also pretty easy to stay below your opponent a lot of the time since many people are hesitant to stay near the bottom.

Camping the bottom is straightforward early on during the rising part. Once I reach the carpets, I like to maintain control of two of them and, naturally, keep them near the lower part of the stage. Most of the characters that will take you to RC have a really hard time approaching you in this position; not a lot of anything tends to happen at this point in this stage, but that's a good thing since you really don't want to be actively engaging your opponent on this weird part of the level most of the time.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Yeah, that was a really smart and good move on Mango's part. You can't keep her out and you can't get in--worst time ever.

If more people keep Mute banned in future tournaments, then I think Brinstar will be my autoban (though it kind of is already).

But yeah, Fly you pretty much just described my RC strategy on Rainbow. You can poke VERY well on the ship and use the platform configuration to your advantage, and if you stay beneath your opponent during the rising section you get lots of pokes with u-air, f-air, b-air. Wall off parts of the level with your hammers and you can make the other guy REALLY uncomfortable. Just be cautious if you're respawning over empty air, Nana is INCREDIBLY dumb in that situation.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
over empty air i just wait/squall to a safe place. theres not much ic can do there with their invincibility anyway, that aint falco

im gonna try that strat with the poking from below, thanks guys

Top Bottom