• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social General Ice Climber Chat

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I ban Brinstar against most characters. One important exception is Fox, whom I usually ban PS against. Sometimes I'll ban RC instead; I don't really mind either one that much and will ban whichever one I think the Fox player would do better on.

PokemonMasterIRL

Smash Master
Up Air out of shield is soo good and useful.

I noticed Fly doing vs replicate and lovage.

It is really good against space aminals that like to run into stuff.

And I have a new found hope for the peach matchup since she is so esay to handoff.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Hey fly you once said something about smashes seting up grabs or something. I was messing around todat vs a cpu I down-throw and up-smashed then I regrabed before the knockback took place it was at a low percent on marth and I've seen some funky cpu things today but yeah maybe down-throw smash grab how or why I have no idea or at least not a solid one.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I actually do dthrow -> fsmash -> grab a lot nowadays. It's a good alternative to dthrow -> dair that racks up damage really quickly. For example, see this.

I think this sort of thing is mostly only useful on space animals, but I'll think about how it can be applied to other characters.

bahamutz69

Smash Journeyman
ok so ive just been messing around with ICs a little bit over the past few days and i just wanted clarification on whether what im doing is legit or not at all
i, by no means call my self and IC main or secondary at btw

the first thing ive been doing alot is dthrow> sh ice block w/ nana> regrab
the pop from the hammer seems nice but im not sure if a human would wiggle/jump out of it
also sometimes i throw in a full hop ice block with popo to pop them up again but i cant get nana to DJ to follow it up :\

another is uthrow > charge usmash w/ nana> full hop fair (once they fall from the uthrow onto the usmash
then trying to connect a jab reset once they hit the ground

keep in mind these are on a lvl 1 fox on fd so im sure platforms could **** on me

but yea, from a real IC player, legit or garbage?

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
down-throw ice block is SOME what legit they could get out but it works like if you don't know if it's a chain throw you can have someone mash L during to see if they sheild or airdidge out maybe buffer the sheild. There are better chain throws but it will throw some people off easily.

u-throw thing they can di so they may di to far for you to do it or metor cancel if they somehow knew what was going now(highly unlikly no one thinks about their fair) But yeah that could work I mean up-smash(de-synced nana) to up-B works(can cancel the smash at any point in time so like at the last frame of it hitting)

Grabs are fun.

bahamutz69

Smash Journeyman
yea it just seems like a fun alternative you know?

hmm thats really cool, i didnt know the up-b cancled smash animations, but now i think about it i dont know why i didnt try it haha xD

im sure ill be throwing some more semi-legit "fun alternative" combos intot his thread within the near future

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Ice climbers are retarted there is so much to know I doubt anyone know all that is known about them. Also DOwn-B does to but it's not useful.

Also I am starting to feel sorry for the noobyer ice climbers because my brother said yeah they are cool and he likes them. Before anything I said dude they are the leading cause of rage in this game. I just a 6 hit jungle of sheik's up-tilt on him so painful I could barely watch like the first hit would hit popo and the 2nd would hit nana. He tryed to dair out or something. Aww it was to bad to watch.

My little 6 year old brother wanted to play. he was trying to recover as popo on green green and I was marth. I kept F-smashing nana against the wall of blocks and just maybe 6 F-smashes also painful.

Ice climbers are really hard their dair loses so rarly even use it when your aboce someone best things are to air dodge, di to edge and down-B, ice block when they are close or if it will miss or make a sound of a beaver being *****.

Also these techs MUST be mastered before hand if not prepare to fail no matter what. WD, SHFFLing. I believe this is truer for them than nyone esle in the game and I was saying that just in case

Turazrok

Smash Master
Ice climbers are retarted there is so much to know I doubt anyone know all that is known about them. Also DOwn-B does to but it's not useful.

Also I am starting to feel sorry for the noobyer ice climbers because my brother said yeah they are cool and he likes them. Before anything I said dude they are the leading cause of rage in this game. I just a 6 hit jungle of sheik's up-tilt on him so painful I could barely watch like the first hit would hit popo and the 2nd would hit nana. He tryed to dair out or something. Aww it was to bad to watch.

My little 6 year old brother wanted to play. he was trying to recover as popo on green green and I was marth. I kept F-smashing nana against the wall of blocks and just maybe 6 F-smashes also painful.

Ice climbers are really hard their dair loses so rarly even use it when your aboce someone best things are to air dodge, di to edge and down-B, ice block when they are close or if it will miss or make a sound of a beaver being *****.

Also these techs MUST be mastered before hand if not prepare to fail no matter what. WD, SHFFLing. I believe this is truer for them than nyone esle in the game and I was saying that just in case
I feel bad for myself sometimes Lol. I can't desync regurlarly, wobble, or handoff. But I can do reverse Dair Cg. SOOOO GOOD

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
reverse Dair Cg is really easy I've gone a 2 month time period without playing as them and I could pull it off on a marth 4 times in a row in a real match.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Fly: I think f-smash regrab works on spacies at 0% even when they DI away. I've tried walking forward (so that Nana slides) if they DI away at higher percents but it doesn't seem to be fast enough.

Turazrok

Smash Master
reverse Dair Cg is really easy I've gone a 2 month time period without playing as them and I could pull it off on a marth 4 times in a row in a real match.
T_T? Make me feel worse about my techskill? At least I can waveshine.... but then again who can't.... I try practicing the handoff pero es muy dificil.

bahamutz69

Smash Journeyman
i guess im one of those noobyer ICs :\ i cant do the reverse dair cg, not right at least
hows it done?

also that dthrow>fsmash>regrab is mad hot, fly

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Fly: I think f-smash regrab works on spacies at 0% even when they DI away. I've tried walking forward (so that Nana slides) if they DI away at higher percents but it doesn't seem to be fast enough.
Thanks for the info. It's unfortunate that it doesn't seem to work at higher percentages if the opponent DIs away, but fortunately, most people don't want to DI away from a charged fsmash at high percentages, and if they do start doing that, we can just release the fsmash earlier and catch them with bad DI.

bruceleeland

Smash Apprentice
I've been playing a lot of ICs lately and I really like the Charged fsmash>grab. It's useful knowing a variety of chaingrabs and mixing them in.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
All I know is Down-smash would be really Down-smashly(better than sexy) compared to F-smash do I could see how it wouldn't work.

bahamutz69- once you figure out the reverse dair cg the timing is easy. But hey don't feel bad I CAN'T down-throw chain throw it's to hard for me lol i'm retarted.

But WDing must be mastered smae for SHFFLing a failed SHFFL is really really really bad for them again just in case you can't.

ALso wavesmash spaming down-smash is the greatest thing esle.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Usmash OoS is rarely good. ICs generally have much better OoS options.

edit: Actually, it's probably more accurate to say that "usmash is rarely one of the best available options OoS."

Meme

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
6939 6733 3968
OoS U-smash... Hmm...

I rarely use it, and when used, I like to do it backwards. It's nice to mix both, D-smash and U-smash since some people tend to start jumping to counter D-smash.

The only issue I have on u-smash is that I feel it as a eternal delay after doing it.
D:

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Um I would think F-smash maybe upair but I can't remember how much stun it causes. I really need to play more ice climbers I know how much hit stun most of pichu's moves have pity it's side-B fully charged and down-B then upair then down-smash.

I don't know how much hit-stun the ice climbers have for most of their attacks.

Meme

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
6939 6733 3968
Hmm... Hitlag...
U-Tilt?

Isn't hitlag dependent of how many things you hit with an attack? (shy guys, those capsules on Brinstar, etc)

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i dont know what hitlag is LOL

is it like the number of frames that they are actually getting hit?

im gonna guess belay

but i dont know

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Actually, I'm probably misusing terminology. I'm referring to how when you hit somebody with an attack, there are a few frames in which they just hover there before flying off. I want to know which attack creates the longest such window before the knockback kicks in.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I think that would also have to do with SDI so magus would be good to ask hey I will test things tomorrow if you want of course it will be really hard by myself to test the number of SDI frames without an AR. But I have a good idea how and also all their attacks should have at least 6 frames why everything combos.

Also I think(key word) knockback has to do with number of frames to SDIlike samus's charged shot you have 21 frames I nearly SDIed half way across the stage in 1/4 speed after being hit bypichu's fully charged side-B

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Yeah you should check they are all 6 frames min for ice climbers but not for everyone just to throw out there. Hey Meme could you do me a favor? could you tellme how many frames of movement there are for pichu's up-B like when he starts moveing till he stops? THat would be so cool I don' tbelieve superdoodle man 100% and I'm not 100% sure I counted the inv. frames right when playing.

Meme

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
6939 6733 3968
Actually I got the same results as ICarzy Guy... 6~7 for all

I took into account the tumbling animation... You can get more hitlag if the smash is charged, but it's like 1~2 more frames...

d >_>b... Though I should better ask if I'm doing it right.
---
On Pichu Up-B 72 frames Starting and ending with one Quick attack on the floor.
Movement starts on frame 14, then on, is 9 movement frames then stops.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Yeah I was way off I counted 6 frames and what do you mean by the 72 frames sorry i'm confused.

also THANKS I hope you streamroll people and everyone will be like wtf Meme is broken as F***

Top Bottom