• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social General Ice Climber Chat

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Popo does get hit if he tries to roll out of a perfectly timed, non-stale fair -> dsmash on shield. Thanks to staleness and people being imperfect, you can likely get out a lot anyways, although I'd be worried about Nana.

edit: actually, if Popo can get out, Nana should be able to as well as long you start buffering the roll early enough.

Last edited:

cemo

white walker
Can you just Upair or angle up ftilt
the "magic float height" is above all your grounded attacks but low enough that you can't really punish with uairs. the angle peach comes in from with fairs is pretty much something you can only cover with a heavy commitment move like an f-smash, even then peach can easily just float out of range. so you want to be able to move quick and tricky on the ground to mess up her spacing, and poke with a bair or synced squall if you're cool like fly.

Last edited:

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
yea phen is right

the 'magic float height' is magic because it puts peach in a hugely advantageous position that we have to take huge risks in order to beat. sometimes the only way to beat it is to whiff punish a fair, and no matter how good at baiting it we are, it's the peach's decision to initiate

LOL derf. i'm the master of making it far in winners then losing immediately in losers

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Last night I figured out you can nanapult offstage from side platforms on BF and DL and Nana can recover without any assistance. This could be possibly useful (maybe edgeguarding Luigi?). Try it out and see what you can come up with.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Last night I figured out you can nanapult offstage from side platforms on BF and DL and Nana can recover without any assistance. This could be possibly useful (maybe edgeguarding Luigi?). Try it out and see what you can come up with.
Sounds like something that requires really good timing, but sounds fun to use so will try to remember that next time i play against other players.

Im thinking about what the best followup on a low recovering falcon that has up-bd nana (spotdodge dash desynch setup) and is stuck in the grabanimation for some frames, jumping offstage to hit him out of it or something

cemo

white walker
i usually go, "ugh" but i don't think that's optimal.

Yo at CEO2015 of KOC5 or something, we should all gather and form a crew. Someone bring Tomber and Wobbles, they can be our Peach slayers.
who needs them, take matter into our own hands and overthrow our opressors! i've been trying to work more fairs into it, but there's only ~2 players here who really know the matchup and i don't get to play with them often.

Last edited:

IndianapolisCentralGaming

Banned via Warnings
Hey i don't have anyone who is good at peach but from my exp as playing with her, and when i mained non ics the one thing i feel might work is the fact that while You shouldn't get the chance to punish peach oos, the same time peach shouldn't be able to really harm You should You shield besides losing stage control.

I've been thinking it's the only safe way to ground a peach, she'll most likly jump up againright afterwards, maybe we have enough time to smack her out of her jump which ice blocks or a ballzy nair/fair.

Just game theory till i can test it vs someone who knows peach.

KingDozie

Smash Journeyman
Can someone help me with the Ice climbers vs Yoshi. I watch some videos and Yoshi Dtilt was doing work.

Banned via Warnings
Better shield di and make those set-ups not happen. Ics lose to everything dumb so hard.

Honestly better space control and spacing is the answer even if it's cut and dry. Ics have better movement in general and that should halt it if appiled

Oh idk how bad the knockback is off top but something i do when fox's shine me is i time an ice block so it is canceled as i fall off stage and ledge grab. It sometimes helps nana or me as sopo even if it whiffs and only slows him down

Last edited:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Nintendude, it was cool meeting you!

On a sidenote; I think I'm gonna start using sheik for Samus.
That matchup is exhausting.
Still gonna use ICs for peach though.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Can someone help me with the Ice climbers vs Yoshi. I watch some videos and Yoshi Dtilt was doing work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf7A9oXUNvU#t=2m50s
An old match me vs leffen (before both took breaks for different reasons) Basicly he has very few options when he is in air(just watch the "trades" yoshi fair vs popo upair).
Respect yoshis range, since he does have really solid options like his fast dsmash and good fair. And learn when you can hit him out of his doublejump,

Uptilt is also a good move since it hits multiple times and disturbs/catches his doublejump. Noticed that everyone who played against amsa didnt use it and its a move that could have changed the outcome of several of those matches if it were to be used.

Psycho_Bayleef

Smash Apprentice
I feel like nair should do some damage to Yoshi's djc. Not Uair though, unless you're off stage, since he gets armor from his down b. I think FoD and FD would be your best bet in the matchup, ledges are low enough to punish the double-jump ledge cancel. But you don't get alot of space to get away from him. :/.
Character-wise you can ftilt(high ftilt) him out of low djc's, pivot ftilts would do very nicely here.

Banned via Warnings
I wish ics f-tilt was more spamable besides wobbling just everytime i could i rather bair for a higher reward lower risk or rather just smash, up-tilt or play movement. Even vs yoshi i think it'd be true.

Ics hitboxes are so bad

cemo

white walker
f-tilt is pretty good, upwards angle is quick and covers a good angle. there isn't always time to land an f-smash there, and it's much less of a commitment.

Banned via Warnings
Ics hitboxes aren't great. Fine yeah but they don't cover the hammer offen enough and we live with things like dair and up-smashes side range

But i've gotten silly combos with f-tilt at high percents like fair wd f-tilt to wavesmash on fd for deep di in.

I am just saying I wish I had more places are it. Forgot the ffer knock down

Psycho_Bayleef

Smash Apprentice
Ftilt is pretty good for stopping shffl approaches from most of the top 8.
WD OoS into ftilt to stop spacies from just drillshining and dumpstering on you. You can pivot ftilt and then have nana use blizzard, which CAN combo pretty nicely and people won't expect it.

cemo

white walker
pivot f-tilt would usually have nana do a dash attack? although all the dashdance and pivot desyncs are a bit weird

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
ICs have really good hitboxes... you can cover a LOT of options with their moves, especially with proper desyncs.
Angled ftilts are incredible, I've been using them a lot against peach. If they misspace, I've knocked her out of fc fair, but its risky, so I mostly stick to platform camping her.

Schfifty_

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone, obviously i am new to the forum, but im an ice climber main (also jigglypuff and samus, for some reason i picked all the characters everyone hates.) This friday im going to my first tournament at asu smash weekly, does anybody have any random advice for a first time tournament goer?

Psycho_Bayleef

Smash Apprentice
Hey everyone, obviously i am new to the forum, but im an ice climber main (also jigglypuff and samus, for some reason i picked all the characters everyone hates.) This friday im going to my first tournament at asu smash weekly, does anybody have any random advice for a first time tournament goer?
Don't be afraid to grab, if you know how to wobble. You're in it to win it; there is no being "cheap".
Don't rely heavily on desynched blizzards, and practice ledge cancelling up+b. With perfect timing you can up b to where nana is literally standing on the ledge while you're holding it, from wherever she was in the air. Don't spam wavedash when near enemy, there is a 10 frame recovery that they can punish you from. Read Fly Amanita's guide(its the one with the non-english title, 2lazy2link). Most importantly, have fun and don't get salty. When your match is over think about what you did wrong and what you need to change.

Banned via Warnings
Ics take a lot of hours to suck at even more to know You suck. If You aren't sure You'll Be happy with Your placement the best thing You can do for Yourself to to try learn and understand Your character/sand fundamentals better.

Like the other day i got up-threw by fox and nana was shined right before and grabbed the edge i didn't know if he'd try to upair because there was no free gimp on nana so i 2nd jumped to stall as i saw nana on the edge and knew he couldn't shine gimp her easily without being grabbed or smash gimped so i stalled with side-b. nana did the get-up attack and i was able to start a tech chase on fod.

Just a weird place where i picked stall to give nana the chance to set-up for me. And honestly fox's best options was most likly to shield grab nana and b-throw her into me and try for a running up-b because i lost my 2nd jump. Super niche.

I love ics vs fox now that i'm going nearly even.

Also i've been wanting to see a puff/samus main it's about as low as You can go for a double main covering most match-ups solidly. Like honestly fighting puff and falcon are likly the worst it gets if You play Your characters and stages right. But i think samus is a soft space animal counter and puff vs falco is fairly manable

Last edited:

Psycho_Bayleef

Smash Apprentice
How good do you think someone with 1 post going to his first tournament is going to be, Bayleef? o_O
Not very. I didn't want to say "when you lose your first set"
*EDIT* I'm just assuming that if he's claiming to be an icies main he at least knows what they do and can very roughly do them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom