• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social General Ice Climber Chat

voorhese

Smash Master
I use at low % when I am trying to escape marth when he is trying to chain throw me near platforms. I di to the platform and then hold down, L, and cstick up. It lets me CC the uptilt and jump away =)

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Notice he said "if you are human" you cant escape if the IC doesnt mess up.
But that's just patently false...

Even if Fox had to use SDI (which he doesn't), it's really not that hard. You need maybe one or two inputs as you get hit by d-air to put yourself out of ICs grab range. I know plenty of space animals who can do this consistently.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
I'm having trouble charging Nana's fsmash during Popo's grab. How is it done exactly?

If it helps, Nana keeps jabbing when I headbutt with Popo.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Press A to Jab/Pummel, desyncing them.
While desynced, move control stick left/right with correct timing and start holding A after jab is finished.

Alternatively, you can C-stick left/right and hold Z to charge it.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Headbutt -> charge while popo is recovering from headbutt (jab ends sooner)
Then you uthrow and reverse fsmash and it ***** :3

Also apparently SFAT was just mad salt because he's bad at escaping CGs.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
My handoffs are starting to come together. Tonight I held my longest handoff and ALMOST finished it. I nearly jumped out of my seat. And it would have been for the last stock too.

Popo dthrow -> Nana fthrow -> Popo -> Nana -> Popo headbutt while Nana charge fsmash AND THEN NANA WHIFFs THE FSMASH WHEN I DTHROW

I proceeded to end the game immediately lol. But that feeeeel of handoff. Can't describe it. Oh and I was really hitting the charged Nana fsmash during grabs tonight! I was dthrow fsmash though. Is this good or should I use a different throw?

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
If you up throw, the fsmash will hit them backwards. Can screw with DI and get early KOs when near a ledge and facing away from it.

Bthrow will whiff, so it's just your choice between fthrow and dthrow - doesn't reaaaaaally matter

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Any tips on Nana pult? I can't seem to get it. Dash forward, dash back, dash forward jump blizzard? They both seem to do it though.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Thats a DD desync blizzard you're describing.
For nanapults i usually iceblock desync, then when popo shoots his little iceblock, i have nana running full hop blizzard.

For the DD desync make sure popo is in initial dash when you input blizzard.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Popo needs to be occupied/in lag so that he doesn't respond to your inputs--otherwise, like you said, he'll just jump and blizzard with Nana. The method vanir described is probably the easiest and most common. The fastest way I know of doing it is f-tilt (facing backwards) -> crouch, run, jump, and blizzard before Popo recovers from f-tilt lag.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Any tips on Nana pult? I can't seem to get it. Dash forward, dash back, dash forward jump blizzard? They both seem to do it though.
Just desync yourself and then do it. I fell for a similar trap where I tried a specific "nanapult method" and kept failing.

It'd be completely useless if people learnt to counter it; hooray for MU unfamiliarity!

voorhese

Smash Master
My handoffs are starting to come together. Tonight I held my longest handoff and ALMOST finished it. I nearly jumped out of my seat. And it would have been for the last stock too.

Popo dthrow -> Nana fthrow -> Popo -> Nana -> Popo headbutt while Nana charge fsmash AND THEN NANA WHIFFs THE FSMASH WHEN I DTHROW

I proceeded to end the game immediately lol. But that feeeeel of handoff. Can't describe it. Oh and I was really hitting the charged Nana fsmash during grabs tonight! I was dthrow fsmash though. Is this good or should I use a different throw?
dthrow is fine, if you time an upthrow they get sent backwards too though =)

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Or you could mash the cstick forward a bunch and they'll fthrow>fsmash (no timing involved lol)

I just charge fsmash then release as im throwing

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
It's also important to remember that when you have the opponent at the edge of a platform/level, the d-throw seems to bounce them *lower* than the actual floor you're on. This makes it basically impossible to finish with d-throw u-smash on floaties as they DI away, which is why I recommend f-throw f-smash (no weird physics) or u-throw u-smash (you add some distance which makes up a little for the percent you lose by interrupting the two part u-throw).

voorhese

Smash Master
What about letting the smash upsmash go, and backthrowing them into the back end of the smash?

also re-messing around with handoffs i think I made it easier for myself. B4 I would throw with popo by tilting down enough to throw but not enough for nana to crouch, because Z then does a dtilt, but now, I press all the way down, and JC grab with nana, a lot easier to do in high pressure situations.

on testing the backthrow Idea I found if I let go of the smash early and hit with the middle of it, it sends fox at one of those angled down trajectories (like puff dsmash/link up-b)

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I'm sorry, please clarify how that's viable?
A normal person is probably going to DI your bthrow up, meaning they'll DI the usmash up as well (most likely) and it will send them up and to the side.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Getting better at the handoff. That moment when your opponents on their last stock, they get grabbed......near the edge........GAME OVER.

voorhese

Smash Master
I'm sorry, please clarify how that's viable?
A normal person is probably going to DI your bthrow up, meaning they'll DI the usmash up as well (most likely) and it will send them up and to the side.
if the thing sends them down/sideways and they DI up it will send them sideways or sideways/up.

Getting better at the handoff. That moment when your opponents on their last stock, they get grabbed......near the edge........GAME OVER.
yes....dat feel bro

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Keep whiffing my Popo dthrow -> charged Nana fsmashes. I think I keep letting go of A the moment Popo is in the middle of the throw, and the hammer is too high to connect. Need to delay releasing A a little more.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
If the f-smash whiffs completely, you're releasing it too late. You want it to hit them right after they're released from the throw.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
I feel if I could slow it down in a replay I could tell what I'm doing wrong but yea it whiffs completely. So much so I've come to taking a liking to upthrow usmash much more as I never miss, like ever. Alright so I'll revisit the fthrow dsmash but I'll release the fsmash a lot faster now.

voorhese

Smash Master
^ yup, I remember the 1st time I saw that I was impressed. That and if she is already in kill range turn around upsmash is legit. edit: <--- i didn't watch the vid >_<

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Oh yeah, I forgot about that trick. I'd be a little worried about Puff mashing out of the grab, but that probably wouldn't be an issue if I use forward-facing dsmash.

Tomber

Smash Journeyman
Depends on the match up really. I like Pokemon Station in every of ICs' match ups, though.

(Stages in order from most to least liked. Avoided stages are listed randomly)

Vs. Fox
Like: FD, FoD, DL, PS
Avoid: BF, YS

Vs. Falco
Like: FD, DL, FoD, PS
Avoid: BF, YS

Vs. Jigglypuff
Like: PS, YS, FoD
Avoid: DL, FD, BF

Vs. Sheik
Like: FD, PS, DL, YS, FoD
Avoid: BF

Vs. Marth
Like: FD, PS, DL
Avoid: YS, FoD, BF

Vs. Peach
Like: PS, YS, BF
Avoid: FD, DL, FoD

Vs. Falcon
Like: FoD, PS, YS
Avoid: BF, DL, FD

Vs. Samus
Like: PS, YS, FD
Avoid: BF, DL, FoD

Vs. Doc/Luigi
Like: Any stage I feel like playing on
Avoid: The stage I think the Doc player feels like playing on

Btw, if you have trouble doing the f-throw->f-smash finisher, then just do a d-throw. It's much easier and the difference is minor. Most of the time you can charge your smash more while d-throwing compared to f-throw, and in the cases you can't (like vs. puff) you should throw into a charged u-smash anyway if you're going for the kill.
F-throw does more damage than d-throw, but when speaking of KO'ing charge time is more important than damage.

Fully charged smash @ x% -> y% (damage after throw and smash)
kills faster than / @lower x%
Not fully charged smash @ x+2% -> y% (same damage as before)
(Hope that made sense. Can't remember the exact number)

F-throw is a little better in a lot of situations, but if you can't get the connect every time then it's not worth it IMO.

which of our fully charged smashes does the most dmg?
F-smash

Tomber

Smash Journeyman
Oh, you're not talking about f-throw to f-smash. Oh well.

So, are you trying to d-throw->f-smash, or f-throw->d-smash? :p Dunno if the last one is possible. I'll try it out. You're probably talking about the first one, though.

Top Bottom