• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social General Ice Climber Chat

wool

Smash Ace
ill let u know everything djn teaches me and ill play i havespaceballs to test it out

oh umm..m2k is coming over friday morning til monday at my apt..ill try to get better agsainst marth..i usally do good vs him..he only 2 stocks me or i get him to one stock like every maqtch we play..because i know what he is going to do..so this time ill ty to beat him and tell u guys eveything..or better yet..ill record matches and post them
Yer please record them if you can. That would be awesome. Good luck dude.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I usually go FD, Dreamland, or Yoshi's Story. Every now and then I'll go Battlefield even though I don't like it against Fox for the most part.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
FD is probably the best

the rest are preference to me... i happen to really like battlefield, it's my favorite stage against fast fallers when FD is banned (and it usually is)

i like battlefield cuz spacies recovery sucks there, recoveries suck in general cuz its harder to sweetspot, ic's cant sweetspot anyway so might as well gimp other ppl by picking it

yoshi's is good if u wanna get early kills

dreamland is good if u wanna fight a hard and long battle, ic's are deceptively heavy

pokemon stadium... the regular part is ok cuz its fairly flat, but more mobile characters (ie fox falco falcon) are just erally good on this stage in general cuz of the blast zones and platforms, and cuz they can adapt better to the stage changes. but ic's can still do it here

i think ic's can manage on FOD cuz the weird platorms and traction on that stage can help their wd's and fsmashes and stuff. like wd fsmash on the floor can hit ppl on platforms, and side blast zones are easy fsmash kills. some chars are really good at this stage tho, like falco and peach, u dont wanna fight them there

i think all the neutrals are good for ic's IMO, just a matter of ur personal preference and matchups

non neutrals..... eh

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
I like FoD a lot, I dunno why. Same with Yoshi's, I guess it's because people often camp the crap out of me. For that same reason, I dislike Battlefield. Dreamland is less vertically campable but at the same time faster characters can just leap over your head and then go wherever. It's also harder to KO people off bad DI there, and with *good* DI Falco can make it way higher than I like him to. And Samus... blech.

FD is kind of annoying, maybe I'm biased because it's Taj's favorite level and he owns me there regardless of matchup. Played M2K there as well, it *hurt*.

And none of the weird levels are fun times. Corneria is supposed to be good but I never play there, so I'm usually surprised when I win. Rainbow Cruise seems alright provided you do your best to stay low and poke. Mute and Brinstar *can* save Nana, but spacing anything on the slopes is hard and WD'ing over the breaky bits of Brinstar is bleh. Plus the ledges are rough to deal with. I dunno, I should really sit down and train myself on those levels--can't ban 'em all and it seems my Sheik and Fox are not good enough to rely on in singles nowadays. And Pokefloats.... blaaaaah. Blah. Blah blah blah. I hope I don't need to elaborate.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I ****ing love Corneria. I think it's really good against floaty characters. A lot of them lack solid ways of approaching you when you sit directly under the fin while facing to the right. For example, Luigi and Samus have a really hard time avoiding uair if they want to come down to fight you. The only character I don't like fighting against there is Fox, since he pretty much wins if he can get a significant lead, but if he can't and you can manage to fight on your own terms, I think ICs do fine.

I think Jungle Japes and Brinstar are worse than any of the moving stages. Jungles Japes is obnoxious because ICs lack solid ways of approaching characters camping the side platforms; Brinstar is my least favorite stage for ICs in a lot of match-ups since the lava often forces you to fight in positions that ICs just aren't good in.

For whatever reason, I don't mind Pokefloats that much. I play really defensively and don't do anything that I think will separate the ICs, like long wavedashes on certain slanted surfaces. I like using synched squall hammers to move between Pokemon whenever it's safe, since you're guaranteed to not lose one of the ICs in the process unless you land really close to the edge. Then again, I get taken here pretty much every tourney I go to, so I probably know the stage way better than my opponents do in the first place.

I do a little worse on Rainbow Cruise, but I still do okay by playing with a similarly conservative mentality. ICs do fine on the flat parts, and for the rising section, I try to get control of two carpets and pretty much stall at the bottom of the screen by jumping between them and uairing or whatever if my opponent approaches. This breaks down a little at the pendulum, but by then you're almost at another reasonably safe flat area.

I used to always ban Green Greens against Fox mains whenever GG was legal, but I'm not sure if I'd do that anymore. It's been a while since I've had to worry about that level.

edit: Hey choknater, last weekend, MacD and I beat Lucky/DEHF in doubles going ICs/Peach on Pokefloats. That was fun.

Vts

Smash Champion
I ****ing love Corneria. I think it's really good against floaty characters. A lot of them lack solid ways of approaching you when you sit directly under the fin while facing to the right. For example, Luigi and Samus have a really hard time avoiding uair if they want to come down to fight you. The only character I don't like fighting against there is Fox, since he pretty much wins if he can get a significant lead, but if he can't and you can manage to fight on your own terms, I think ICs do fine.

I think Jungle Japes and Brinstar are worse than any of the moving stages. Jungles Japes is obnoxious because ICs lack solid ways of approaching characters camping the side platforms; Brinstar is my least favorite stage for ICs in a lot of match-ups since the lava often forces you to fight in positions that ICs just aren't good in.

For whatever reason, I don't mind Pokefloats that much. I play really defensively and don't do anything that I think will separate the ICs, like long wavedashes on certain slanted surfaces. I like using synched squall hammers to move between Pokemon whenever it's safe, since you're guaranteed to not lose one of the ICs in the process unless you land really close to the edge. Then again, I get taken here pretty much every tourney I go to, so I probably know the stage way better than my opponents do in the first place.

I do a little worse on Rainbow Cruise, but I still do okay by playing with a similarly conservative mentality. ICs do fine on the flat parts, and for the rising section, I try to get control of two carpets and pretty much stall at the bottom of the screen by jumping between them and uairing or whatever if my opponent approaches. This breaks down a little at the pendulum, but by then you're almost at another reasonably safe flat area.

I used to always ban Green Greens against Fox mains whenever GG was legal, but I'm not sure if I'd do that anymore. It's been a while since I've had to worry about that level.

edit: Hey choknater, last weekend, MacD and I beat Lucky/DEHF in doubles going ICs/Peach on Pokefloats. That was fun.
yeah some fun maps.

i really like GG also

i also like to play mute city with my IC unless vs ganon lol.

i need to get video record and posted and see what i'm doing wrong and also show how sucky i am at this amazing game.

PB&J

Smash Hero
i dont mind japes..or brinstar..i hate rainbow cruise,pokefloats..

i love mute city- i **** there

umm i played chaddd 's ganon but only with fox ..people dont like playing my icy's in friendlies but m2k's here now so ill record

ill have live stream actually of alot of good players today

like colbol,hbox,qdvs,rock crock,chaddd,m2k,lambchops,mike g,harrietheguy,uuaa,cornel,djn, and more

ill post the link when others get here .prepare and get your popcorn ready

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
I don't mind Corneria, but I wouldn't cp it either. The low ceiling and slants -- which tend to make nana jump when you wd, and can prevent you from punishing oos -- make the upper part dangerous. Other than that pretty much what Fly said: if Fox gains an advantage there's nothing you can do. On a random note, you can handoff into the fin, because walls count as ledges for some reason.

Pokefloats is okay. Rainbow Cruise moves too quickly for me to actually do anything.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
wow

i've seen that vid before

but it looks better than i remember

i should practice some more combos again lol

everyones been escaping my **** lately

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
It's too bad that most of the stuff in that video doesn't work on humans very well.
lol yea but i mean i stopped creating cool combos for a while

but its always cool to have that extra option

utilt sucks =\ ppl sdi out of it without even trying to sdi

but its all good

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
It seems like u-tilt and blizzard are completely different between versions of the game. In 1.0, u-tilt doesn't have much hitlag (so it's not as easy to sdi out), and it's harder for opponents to break out of grab -> blizzard -> 2 headbutts. Sometimes people break out of my grabs in tourney because I go for blizzard, and it happens to be a later version of the game. :/

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
hm yea diff versions

like... sometimes the blizzard doesnt lag the headbutts

sometimes it does

i prefer if it doesnt <3 more dmg

pockyD

Smash Legend
It seems like u-tilt and blizzard are completely different between versions of the game. In 1.0, u-tilt doesn't have much hitlag (so it's not as easy to sdi out), and it's harder for opponents to break out of grab -> blizzard -> 2 headbutts. Sometimes people break out of my grabs in tourney because I go for blizzard, and it happens to be a later version of the game. :/
I think in 1.0, you can't SDI hits that only do 1% (which is why zelda players love it so much)

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I kind of wish there was no 1.1 or 1.2, but at the same time it's like oh well because there's some good that comes from them too.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
more than anything m2k needs to stop camping the ledge as the answer.

especially with marth and especially vs characters with pistols.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I was looking at the "Recommended for You" videos on one of my youtube accounts and right after a suggestion for a Wobbles vs. Taj round, I see this.

Vts

Smash Champion
Well i'm repping the IC and won the tournament here in my house but 2 of the people who were going to beat me had to leave early (one had a date)

but still won and only lost 1 match of both sets from winners finals and grand finals

wish i had them recorded i pulled some random combos off but i still need a lot of work to become half as good as Chok, Fly, and Kyu Puff (go Red/White ICs)

but going to buy a capture card and post matches soon and see what i'm doing wrong.

i'm still god knows how far away from being as good as wobbles.

its cool though that u help other by posting unlike someone (chu)

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
TBH I come here as much to learn as I do to post, so it's at least 50% selfishness. I have a lot of matchup weaknesses since AZ's Melee is a pretty quiet scene, nowadays. Fortunately we've got a bit of a revival going on, even though it mostly takes place about 2 hours away from me lol.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i gave up on certain matchups :p

peach ganon

luigi and samus i'd still try, but for the most part i wouldn't go ic's in tournament, i'd probably go peach since i'm more comfortable with it and its easier to adapt. i dont want no uphill battles LOL im not as warrior as i used to be cuz i dont get to play a lot of people anymore. ahhhh COMFORT ZONES

Top Bottom