• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social General Ice Climber Chat

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
lol i've been doing that after i get kills for over a year

when i do dthrow fsmash or dthrow usmash for a kill

i usually taunt with popo and then start a continuous aerial desynch with nana

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I would at least like to de-synce bairs. I think that would be sweet, once somehow I de-synced upairs and juggled the crap out of samus

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I would at least like to de-synce bairs. I think that would be sweet, once somehow I de-synced upairs and juggled the crap out of samus
Samus shouldn't be getting hit with more than two consecutive uairs, desynched or not. Too floaty.

I'm not technical enough to do desynched aerials though. The extent of my desynch tech is the standard roll blizzard to grab. >_<

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
when I sucked at the game and it was a cpu and there was nearly no knockback after each hit.

Have you seen any good down-smash clips for the ice climbers? i am making something sweet get it to me soon it should be really to go in 2 hours or less

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
when I sucked at the game and it was a cpu and there was nearly no knockback after each hit.

Have you seen any good down-smash clips for the ice climbers? i am making something sweet get it to me soon it should be really to go in 2 hours or less
Can you use some punctuation, please? I can't understand exactly what you're typing.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
continuous desynchs are usually not effective from anything but a grab combo, it's INCREDIBLY hard to combo with them even without di

but if you become fluent with using them, it will increase the tools u can use in a match

so if there was ever a time to focus on those things, do it in practice or friendlies

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
i'm new to IC's... I thought a lot of these cool trixies they can pull off would be easy, but i'm kinda struggling.

i try to do fthrow and make nana grab them a lot, and sometimes i can do it, but the majority of the time she misses. do you have to make nana JC grab? or is just a dash grab good enough to work? is it just my timing i need to work on?

also i can't get the rhythm of the wobble timing, any suggestions?

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
funny I don't jc jump with the ice climbers but I do with a lot of other people. the ice climbers are reallt hard and funny to play as. The handoff is one of the hardest chain throws, I can do maybe half in a battle but the only one a fail at terriblely is is d-throw grab. My favorite is d-throw wd up-tilt grab.

I really love down-smash.

And what you said kindof messed me up a little chok I am used to being insulted for my art even from myself. Thank you very much. :)

*P*L*U*R*

Smash Hero
ic's combo game is stupid when desynched on fast fallers. i was playing against one of my scrub friends cf and did some crazy **** like pivot jab/dash attack - popo shnair - nana dash attack - popo shnair - nana grab/bthrow- popo chases the bthrow to a regrab/pummel -dthrow reverse dair. **** they're sexy. there's a tourne this weekend' i'll try to do some sexy stuff like this to good opponents. hope i don't choke.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Random Samus thing I noticed today:

When you're at low percentages, you can wavedash -> fsmash at a missile such that Popo gets hit and Nana's fsmash connects, much like with Falco's lasers.

Speculation:

Let's say that Fox/Falco side-B's towards the center of the stage. Could a forward-moving shffl'd dair -> grab be a good way of stopping this? I'm pretty sure this wouldn't work if you dair too early, but I bet that if you connect with the dair near the peak of your jump or later, this could work. I've been thinking of trying this since I'm an idiot who can't consistently hit Fox/Falco out of side-B, but dair's long-lasting hitbox might make this easier and afterwards you'd get a grab, possibly close enough to the edge to set up a handoff.

I forgot to test this at the tourney I just went to. *blames sleep-deprivation*

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
hey ask me in the pichu boards sorry but they want to ban me again for talking about pichu in the wrong places.

fly I think could work but dair grab still isn't 100% and it would be better I think to do it off the edge very they have to up-B. but I could be 100% wrong so go for it.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
@ Carzy: Sorry, man. I wasn't trying to get you in trouble. I'll pursue my question on the appropriate board.

@ Fly: When spacies try to recover with side-b, I usually wavedash > ftilt at higher percents because it's fast and the hitbox stays out for a while. It also usually hits them below the stage, limiting their options a ton.

At low percents a jab > grab is a pretty reliable way of halting a space animal mid-illusion/phantasm, if you know the timing (as opposed to a dair > grab, which is less likely to work because you have the lag of waiting for the dair to finish and l-cancel).

Finch

Smash Lord
what if you desynced and had nana sh and jump forward a little with the dair? I'm pretty sure that would give you a guaranteed grab and be a really efficient option especially at low percents.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
that would work very well if you could land it, I thought of it earlier but yeah didn't post it

Any effective way to wavedash up de-synced? other than the slow nana shoots ice block popo shoots an ice block then nana etc.

PokemonMasterIRL

Smash Master
hey guys, i just started playing melee again and I am pretty rusty.

anyways...

what am I supposed to do when I grab Jigglypuff?

I either Wobble (haha obviously the best option) or I pummel then blizzard > then Smash.

What are the best things to do to jigs out of a throw.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Cool, Ill try those out.

What about when I have both Climbers?
I usually just dthrow -> usmash. Even slightly charged usmashes can KO Jiggs at stupidly low percentages, so I'll usually headbutt -> charge usmash -> dthrow -> release usmash instead of blizzard at medium to high percentages.

At really low percentages, I still bthrow -> fair most of the time.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
mhm easy mode combos

any damage is soooo useful vs puff

i hit her with dairs when she tries to nair through my shield, or mis spaces uairs/bairs or something

i clash nairs with dairs, and blizzard a lot

annyyyyy damage is useful

just watch out for cc rest if ur using dair lol

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
u have to play against puff really diff from any other character

ic's aerials are actually really good in the matchup, like fair dair bair, kinda nair

obviously uair is amazing, for the few times that puff will be above u USE IT

gotta space really well and try to be random and fake out puff a lot, cuz basically the whole time (against any char) she flies around and waits for openings, with ic's since ur doing 2 moves theres not a lot of openings so u actually have the ability to approach a lot

but dont do it too much or predictably, u have to do what wobbles always points out with chu's style - ur movement has to be unpredictable. patience is good but puff can watch ur patterns. approaches are good but puff can watch ur patterns. always think about mixing it up!

blizzards, synched or desynched, are a really good way to deter sh bair approaches for a little while

puff can obviously just avoid it but hey at least it gives u a moment of control, pretty much any puff will at least once run into it and take a little damage, like 7

ANY DAMAGE IS GREAT

PokemonMasterIRL

Smash Master
So is there any particular way to practice OoS Bair?

I was failing pretty hard tonight as I practiced against Hyuga's Jigglypuff, but I could see just how effective OoS Bair would be if I was more consistent.

I wanted to know what you guys use OoS when Jigs hits your shield.
I was OoS Wavedashing Grabs but for the most part that wasnt working.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
What I do when a Puff hits my shield really depends a lot on what the Puff likes to do after landing and where I am on the stage. A lot of the time, I'll just wavedash away or in place, unless this puts me pretty close to the edge. If you're facing Puff and pretty close to her, you can try wavedashing towards her and jabbing -> whatever. Dsmash/fsmash also work sometimes, but should be used sparingly in this context.

This really isn't the best time to be attacking Puff, though, which is why most of the time I just retreat a bit or stay in place and try to keep my shield strong. There are better times to hit Puff with random crap than when she's pressuring your shield.

edit: I don't like blizzard very much in this match-up. I think it's generally a really unsafe move against Puff; if you miss, or even if it hits her and she DIs out of it, she can potentially separate the ICs or rest Nana. It has good range, but usually doesn't do all that much damage since it's easily escaped from and it's pretty risky, so I don't think it's worth using very often.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i use oos dair, i only bair if puff is in that exact position which is rare. (lol rhyming.)

i like to dair because if puff is inside me with an attack, i will at least trade or beat puff (unless its pound)

anyway

i think im the only player who happens to use dair a LOT vs puff lol. its just my strategy

Top Bottom