• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social General Ice Climber Chat

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Well, for one thing, you can usually get away with wd f-smash, because they'll be unintentionally DIing the direction you want to hit them. Spacies aren't hard to edgeguard, and even at reasonably low percentages you should eventually get the kill this way. Otherwise you can grab -- most of these other options are trying to lead into that anyways (plus if they're expecting f-smash this can be a surprise mix-up, and it should be easier to grab to death).
I don't like having to count on bad DI, especially when good DI will let them get back to the stage. Grabbing sounds fine. I'd prefer to get the grab near the edge, though, since I'd be closer to the blast zones and could also do the handoff then.

I generally edgeguard spacies pretty well; I'm just trying to find out what works best for me when it comes to stopping side-B.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Maybe having Nana charge a smash and popo wait to punish by reaction, not sure, but could maybe work.
Grabbing their side b, just like CPUs does all the time atleast with other moves, even though I´m not sure about fox side b...

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
So, anybody going to ActiveGamers? I'm gonna be leaving for Cali in about an hour :)

Also, if someone can hook me up with a Melee teammate, that would be HIGHLY legit.

Peace, folks.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I'm not sure which good players are still looking for teammates. Try posting in the ActiveGamers thread.

I'm excited for this. I really want to do well; singles is my main priority, as it always is, but it would be cool if Julian (sweetxignorance on youtube) and I made it far in doubles, which I bet we could since Julian is really good in teams.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
N-Air is for grab set-ups sometimesbut the range and that fact your ice climbers in the air make it underused. how come their isn't an ice climber main called grabs? We all dream of grabs and it would be kind of funny.

Binx

Smash Master
I use nair on semi floaties like marth and roy during sopo grab combos (dthrow nair attempt regrab, or you could charge a smash if you expect a sidestep), I've also used it occasionally vs marth to tap him off the edge during a combo near the edge at low percents, it works especially well if you have somehow hit him out of his jump, then you just turn your back and fsmash if you think he won't sweetspot or go for an edgehog if you think he will.

PokemonMasterIRL

Smash Master
Wow, Wobbles is a beast, his matches with Mangooooo were too good.

I learned a lot watching him and Fly play.

Oh it was meeting both of you Fly and Wobbles, I was the talk white guy with the Vega shirt and a Black hat on.

I didnt end up getting to play either of you tho, =(

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Ah! We were supposed to play and never did. :(

I'm glad you liked my set with Mango though, I'm pretty proud of how I played. I would have liked to get a game from him but oh well ^_^ I need to perfect my chaingrabs even more for next time.

r3d d09

Smash Master
Wobbles, it was funny watching you play __X__ in melee, and you started CG'ing him haha

and i see 3 names here that should be posting in the brawl section as well >.>

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I haven't played Brawl since July. MikeHAZE and a few other Socal people want me to get back into it, though. I'll think about it, although I don't really have any drive to be good at it anymore.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Speaking of Brawl, I have an idea adjusted from something I've seen in SSBB. I'm not sure if it works since I can't test it at the moment, though; I think the guy who has my Gamecube and Melee disc is trying to avoid me. Anyways, here's the idea:

Let's say you're grabbing a fastfaller with Popo near an edge that you're facing. You start charging a d/fsmash with Nana, and dthrow. Sane people will generally input survival DI; however, survival DI keeps your opponent close to you. You keep charging the d/fsmash after the dthrow finishes, and after releasing it such that it connects, immediately grab again with Popo during the d/fsmash hitlag.

The main use of this would be for when you're out of space after a handoff, but your opponent doesn't have enough damage for a guaranteed KO with fsmash; you could use this tack on a bit more damage if you need to at the very edge of the stage. Of course, the opponent could DI away to get out of this, but if you read this and release the slightly-charged d/fsmash early, you'll probably KO him unless he's at a really low percentage.

If this doesn't work, you could still just dthrow -> re-grab at the very edge if you want to tack on a bit more damage. You wouldn't be able to add as much damage as you would with a d/fsmash, though, and if your opponent DIs away and you read it, you only get an uncharged fsmash as opposed to a charged d/fsmash.

r3d d09

Smash Master
actually, i've done this in brawl a few times. or when i'm jabbing and mashing grab. popo's jab registers, but nana grabs. the jab connects and nana grabs. . . and i've done what you were talking about. the fsmash. it's pretty awesome and the person usually says. wow, my di blows or something. ha

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I think you have like 2 or 3 frames I,ve done stuff like that in training to just mess around like nana charges f-smash and popo grab as I release, the timeing would be near inpossble, best way to work would be to smash them out of your grab because otherwise you would be finishing your throw movement. Or maybe if they wiggle out of your garb and they get smashed (maybe to you) and you might be able to grab.

hey have you ever tryed f-throw to nana running SH nair? it's funny in training they think their free but nana is like F*** you and they bounce back into your hands, you should think of bair.

But I can't test any of this till the weekend even then I think I will just play smash

Finch

Smash Lord
Does anyone else think ICs are way too good at edgeguarding marth? I've been experimenting with ledgehop nair (you can land back on the edge if you start the nair early) and desynced iceblock to edgehog and they both work really well. Basically if marth goes down to try to sweetspot and you hit with with an iceblock and get on the edge really fast I don't think he can do anything except die. Ledgehop nair works just like ledgehop bair except it's better if marth is trying to stay closer to the stage. If you time it right you can use the invincibility frames so you don't have to worry about fair or side b. It's more situational than the iceblock but I did it to m2k and it worked :)

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
fly ur too good lol

u list extremely difficult options for me as if they are the norm for u

like 'that creates opportunity for handoff'

ur too good fly

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I love that guy.

edit: I could write my thoughts about the match-up, but I don't think that would do anybody much good at the moment. I think I'll re-watch the Wobbles v. Xelic sets.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
mother f***er that's a lot I think there is a video the shows about 6 or so.

Chain throws only I doubt I will get them are and only like 2 are unesapeable but they have hard set-ups so yeah. Oh and there are a lot that CAN work that normally don't like you can do up-throw dair and it can chain throw but it takes longer and no real set timeing/spaceing. And I have been able to do f-throw running SH nair with nana and they bounced right back to me, but DI would wreak it

d-throw dair regarb- easiest on marth,fox, and falco. have nana sh and popo press down and nana dair all the timeings are different and you can make it so that nana is in front of you not next and it hits them backwards and you have to turn around. to any percent

d-throw upsmash- works on FFers varying percents. d-throw upsmash as they go up or when it flashs green.

d-throw nana wd up-tilt- I like this one made by Boron or something like that. works on fox/falco maybe falcon I haven't checked. basically you wd uptilt regarb I don't know the percents.

d-throw DOWN-SMASH- works on any that the normal d-throw regarb would and even a little longer and maybe a few more people because it has more stun time(but pichu for him you would have to down-smash before you began to throw him) in training mode you should see them go stiaght up but just a little.

I think there is a chain throw involing the dash attack.

handoff- look at the sticklyed thread

jab reset- down-throw jab grab, hard timing I believe it works on j-puff. which kind of funny there are 2 legit ways that are possble but only one for pichu(due to throwing speed) and pichu is one of the most chain throwable non-ffers. but pikachu gets many more chain throws by the ice climbers.

I believe I once counted about 13 or 15 chain throws for the melee ice climbers so don't limit your mind heck I bet one day someone have one with d-tilt I,ve once seen b-throw wavedash nana to grab which could lead to the handoff.

Top Bottom