• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social General Ice Climber Chat

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
videos of inconsistent players or matches w/ players of skill levels and histories of placing being very different are pretty lame @ demonstrating a match-up... personally i think falcon vs. ic's is like 55-45 or 60-40 in falcon's favor just because of his ability to separate & kill nana. mango vs. wobbles is a pretty good demonstration of it, but... it IS mango.
Shine a lot with Fox. A running shine is obnoxiously hard for ICs to punish. Bairs are also hard to punish and sitting on platforms is usually pretty safe.

Falcon just knees a lot and sometimes raptor boosts when it's safe. Don't be afraid to grab shielding ICs, too.

edit: Could you give more specific problems?
i dunno really. would videos help? lol
though one time Nana ****ing gimped me on Randall. she jabbed and then downsmashed while popo was on the stage and I was recovering... ****ing nana.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Yes. I'm not good at theorycraft about match-ups, but I think I'm alright at identifying problems and offering solutions.

Finch

Smash Lord
desynced blizzard can get you out of marth's pressure but overusing it will get you tippered. Vs marth you have to space everything really really really well and patiently wait for him to fsmash your shield.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
The window for inputting the jump command such that only Nana receives it is six frames and when this window occurs varies depending on shield stun, so don't expect to be doing that intentionally very often.

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
soo...has anyone experimented with grab releases in melee? it seems like it can actually be usefull for the climbers. i'm not exceptionally good at the hand off, but you can do a grab release and make nana grab pretty quick. just keep pummeling until they break out. what do you icey mains think?

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
nana follows popo and popo is pushed back from the grabe the back out is unpredictable this what most people know not even knowing the ice climbers you should geuss it won't but trying new stuff is always legit and really the ice climbers still have a lot of things that could work.

I doubt it would work but you could try and would be sweet if they broke out when chain throwing

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
The other day I did an approaching b-air on someone's shield. The b-air whiffed, and I went straight into desynched d-smashes. It would be cool to recreate it. Can you desynch from autocanceled b-air, or was it one of those random situational desynchs (maybe one of the b-airs tipped his shield or something)?

Vts

Smash Champion
i tried to do desync back air spam and its really hard since u have to press A but u can desync and make nana do ice block then u back air and make her back air and keep going but timing is little late and u can get hit since it takes a min to set up ><

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
nana follows popo and popo is pushed back from the grabe the back out is unpredictable this what most people know not even knowing the ice climbers you should geuss it won't but trying new stuff is always legit and really the ice climbers still have a lot of things that could work.

I doubt it would work but you could try and would be sweet if they broke out when chain throwing
she gets pushed back, but she doesn't get the pushed back animation. she just stands there, and you can make her dash grab when this is happening. it seems legit, i just don't know if theres ever a reason to do it.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I can do the handoff well on most characters, but I haven't been able to get it down on a few characters that actually matter (most notably Marth, whom I have to do the fthrow-only variant of the handoff on). It's kind of frustrating since I've been without a Gamecube, Melee disc, and memory card for a few months.

she gets pushed back, but she doesn't get the pushed back animation. she just stands there, and you can make her dash grab when this is happening. it seems legit, i just don't know if theres ever a reason to do it.
It's generally not that good an option; it's basically a strictly inferior version of the handoff that does damage at a slower rate and is escapable. Even if you can't do the normal handoff, try the fthrow variant. It's not as good for a number of reasons, but I think the timing is easier than it is with dthrow.

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
i rarely play ice cimbers lol. i was just hoping to maybe give ideas to you guys :] if it's worthless okay.

EDIT:

discuss.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
yeah they do need breads i,ve tryed a few times I meant nana is puled back to popo she could in theory but I think they could very easily jab,spot dodge or etc. still a good idea just unlikely and it's not hard to get ideas for them when start to think of all the stuff you could do it's like wow

Binx

Smash Master
lol Aramada's thrown everything out of wack. I don't know how I feel about geif climbers, maybe mog climbers would be neat. tipped bair desynchs are awesome, lately I've been playing ICs more seriously again and I have kind of gone back to basics, somehow or another I got a lot more technical though and it helped my game a lot, I just space carefully, use a lot more short hopped uairs, and if a desynch happens on accident I take advantage of it immediately by being very aggressive until we resynch, its been paying off huge, I havn't had the opportunity to play anyone significantly better than myself in a while to see how it works against them, but hopefully soon.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
I have kind of gone back to basics, somehow or another I got a lot more technical though and it helped my game a lot, I just space carefully, use a lot more short hopped uairs
I can say kind of the same thing. I play a spacing game with lots of sh u-air and tons of b-air, and focus mostly on practical things like movement and how I capitalize on each hit. I still like to experiment with desynchs, but never really use them in matches.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
peach dittos sounds pretty gay I think peaches can chain throw each other. Is there anyone esle you would be willing to try? fox is a good counter but common. but peach is pretty easy to play as.

sorry I thought flys post was the last one sorry

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
makes scents I once picked j-puff to make someone switch their j-puff out so it's just a thought. glad you are going to stick to the climbers

Ballistics

Smash Champion
yea if you cant beat em join em

you know a character is legit when you can ditto and its still a good match

sad to say everyone but falco, fox, marth, falcon, ganon, and maybe dk dont make the cut

the rest of the characters' dittos are just not fun to watch or the game would just turn off and call you an idiot

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
hahah if the other peach chooses to play that way

of course i am cautious but generally i really try not to camp in peach dittos, and prevent the other peach from camping : D i kno armada can do it

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Your spacing is good and you're pretty patient, but your grab game could be better. Both Dizzy and Obey often didn't properly shffl aerials into your shield and you probably could have gotten a lot more shield grabs than you did had you gone for more. You create a lot of pretty good grab openings, but often go for short combos instead when it's usually better to grab. I also feel like you could pressure Fox better, but that might just be me.

It seems like you figured out Obey pretty well after the first match, at least based on the rounds where you used ICs. Just learn how to play on the funkier stages so you don't have to rely on your secondaries as much.

Learn the handoff. It's not too hard on Fox and Falcon.

Ballistics

Smash Champion
LoL i had this thought recently and it made me laugh. I feel like i don't deserve to play iceclimbers, I feel this way because I am lacking a nana IRL that sticks with me and takes hits for me and defends me to the death, so how could i possibly understand their complex trust based relationship.

I think if I did have a girlfriend Id bring her to smash tournaments and tell her that she was nana.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Hey I don't have with me amd I have a question. when you hold the s-stick for the ice climbers when nana is hit you will automaticly do that smash with perfect frame data. so what other moves work like that? can you do down-B , grabs,airs moves ice blocks or what because for all of these it's basically youu lose control of nana for a few frames and she auto attacks I know the same for when you come back from the edge.

so what are all the moves that work matbe you could beat j-puff in the air by jumping up you bair you miss j-puff bairs you nana auto attacks back and you di to j-puff

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I've never been in a relationship in my life and I feel bad about using any characters aside from ICs.

I took a Melee character personality quiz a while ago and it said that I most closely resemble Kirby, which is totally accurate. ICs were near the bottom of the list.

edit: Crazy Guy, I can't understand you.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
hold c-stick you get hit nana auto smashes. I was asking if there are any other moves like that like maybe air moves or jabs or B moves and etc. Sorry my mind is in a few places at once most of the time.

Top Bottom