• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social General Ice Climber Chat

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
hm thanks fly

grabs really do help... like sometimes i focus so on the fact that the other person is trying to avoid grabs that i forget that i should still keep looking for them anyway

for example, at that tournament, i almost lost to jpeg image's falcon because i realized i wasn't grabbing enough. i had 1 stock with damage and he had 2-stocks with 0%, so i focused on grabbing more and i did 2 reverse dair cg's on him and i won

grab more choknater... u got this...

and fly yeah, i will practice ic on floats. thanks for the advice

AKARed

Smash Apprentice
I feel odd that I've never been in a relationship in my life too since a lot of people I know have been in at least one. As for characters, I used to feel the same way since I just liked having someone team up with me in a fight, a.k.a. Nana/Popo, so I don't have to feel like I'm alone against my opponent. It's like always having a friend who will lift you back up whenever you feel down in the middle of a match. Anyways, after playing around with some more characters, I started to like using every character on the roster and sometimes feel bad just for not spending as much time with ICs due to spending time with other characters. I almost sound like I'm cheating on a girl. Now I think I'm just plain weird, so I'll zip it.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
wow i feel the same way as AKARed. other than the relationship with real people I,ve had a few but not many because of a few mental break downs and I always thought people aren't really real like you are preprogramed in a set way if needed everyone will kill me. I believed you the reader are a mindless robot. And the world was a test I thought of this back in 3rd grade same time I started listening to pink floyd. But how would you disprove that? HOw could a person prove they aren't designed to do something mindlessly or without REAl feeling?

Wak

BRoomer
BRoomer
That's pretty weird guys, actually.

I played pkmvodka and chesterr01 the other day with my icies, and wow. They know how to get rid of nana in seconds, leaving my popo all alone most of the fight. Fairly enough, I'm pretty good alone, giving more challenge with only one character than two. My DI is epic and even I've done some 4 stocks many times with popo, even if I lost my nana on early in the game...

I play the ice climbers very differently from the rest of the cast, and I don't have any clue why =(.

I'm still trying to get a good match to upload on youtube.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I play the rest of the cast a lot like the ICs, which is probably why I've never been able to pick up a solid secondary.

Miles.

Smash Champion
LoL we need to get some nanas IRL before we can play icies to their full potential!
I have a sexy Nana IRL.

(This is PokemonMasterIRL) look at <-- accounts avatar.
That is my beautiful GF.

/Bragging

*Start theorcrafting

So I got to smash with Replicate crazy good Fox/Falco the other night for like 10 hours, had a smashfest at my pad.

And I am totally and completely in love with the Falco Match up. Every laser is a free desync!

I started to have so just really cool and effective desyncs thathat were really cool and fun.

I mean think about it, getting lasered is like a 1 frame desync, too good. I started to do a lot of silly stuff.

Also my new favorite bait, is doing a desynced squall hammer with just Popo when Nana is near by and you punish them trying to punish you. It works.

Believe it!

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Also, don't dash attack a lot against him. Nair works well on him for some reason. Ftilt angled up is less safe against him than it is against most other Foxes. Utilt is kind of hard to land on him, but it works sometimes, as does sh uair.

AKARed

Smash Apprentice
Joe ***** my ICs too although I can see what you mean, Fly, when you say he's over-aggressive mainly because I feel I have more trouble against defensive spacies.

Baro

Smash Journeyman
I have a lot of trouble with the Ganondorf matchup. Do you guys have any advice on building damage?

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Ganon has ways of getting around camping. You've probably never played a really good one before since there aren't any in Cali.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
dude you can do b-throw grab on bowser or b-throw jab grab and for some reason she likes to b-throw a lot not all the time but most of the time. which makes me think which way she throws them has to do with % or something.

And i,ve been wondering if we could do the hand-off and end with some kind of drop zone. because chances are they might try to di a little a way during the hand-off end with d-throw they di away nana fair or something

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
If people DI away from the handoff, just fsmash and let them die. If they input proper survival DI, just dthrow -> re-grab instead of fsmash at the very edge. I bet you could also charge an fsmash with Nana, dthrow, then d/fsmash with Popo such that it connects right before Nana's charged fsmash does.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
what? I wasn't asking about the hand-off I understand that. I was just say you can chain throw some people with b-throw anyone that you can just press the C-stict away with should be chain throw able with b-throw.

Hey do you know how legit d-throw jab is vs jigglypuff for a chain throw? I,ve seen it used in a video once

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Sorry, I always have a hard time understanding you. Dthrow -> jab is easy to escape from, but I guess it could work if Jiggs DIs away.

Bthrow CGs generally don't work, with a few really bizarre exceptions. When you say bthrow -> grab on Bowser, though, do you mean a Brawl-esque style CG where Popo bthrows and Nana grabs before he moves anywhere? It would be hilarious if that works, and I could actually see it being possible since the king of the Koopas is so fat.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
hand-off and I always thought d-throw jab.

Yeah b-throw grab b-throw grab kind of like brawl I geuss should work on anyone that you can just C-stick back and b-throw f-smash

joeplicate

Smash Master
:mad:

pocky told me about this yesterday

fly, one thing i noticed at AG that's different between you and wobbles is that rob will approach a lot more. most ICs i've played just try to make themselves a little fortress on the ground, capable of moving one wavedash in either direction at a time. normally, this leaves fox free to do whatever he wants on the platforms and control the match in general.

but, for example, if fox does a drillshine on block and shines nana, pushing her away, wobbles will come after you with popo alone. then he'll tech chase (or follow up, speaking more generally), grab again, and wait for nana to catch back up with him, then start the chaingrabs.

basically he's content letting nana be a distraction, and where a lot of players would give up an opportunity to keep their ICs synced he goes after it, since he's not afraid to play/pressure with just popo. and as long as nana isn't dead, it's 100% worth the risk involved.

i was actually really surprised when he picked fountain of dreams on me in a money match, but it makes sense with his style because he pokes through the platforms with up-airs really well, and he's a good enough of a player to keep fox under control with just one climber.

i do feel bad about being so off when we played last, though:urg:
let's make up for lost time at pat's house!

Binx

Smash Master
Yeah Joe I've been playing like that lately as well, and its much more efficient especially vs Fox, I've also been taking a lot more advantage of Fox's hit lag when he hits Nana, its a more thought intensive way to play but you can't even hit a good Fox if you can't take advantage of that.

I don't disregard my Nana as much as Wobbles does, I basically try to play more like Chu because I'm not technical enough to play like Wobbles, but when I get a random desynch I just jam that turbo button and go all out until my opening to pressure/combo ends.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
I think using Nana as bait is match-up dependent. Against Falco I like to have Nana take every approaching laser so that I can dd and punish on reaction. It works especially well on FD where you have guaranteed solo popo combos, but there are plenty of other ways to capitalize on Falco. Whenever you successfully bait Sheik with Nana you get a free cg, usually to death. Against Fox and Ganon, on the other hand, I'm a little more hesitant to do this because they can kill Nana at almost any percent with no commitment.

If Wobbles is confident he can punish Fox before Nana dies (they're in the center of the stage or something), and he's consistent in his techchases (he is), then it's definitely worth it. I tend to do more what joe described, using safe and compact moves creating a little ground fortress, and it's worked for me against pretty much every Fox I've played. All you really need is one hit against Fox; I feel safer committing to fewer approaches and landing that hit through patience.

Binx

Smash Master
I think using Nana as bait is match-up dependent. ... Against Fox and Ganon, on the other hand, I'm a little more hesitant to do this because they can kill Nana at almost any percent with no commitment.
Well the idea is not to do it when Nana will die, its just instead of sitting still and "fortressing" you dash dance and just make sure popo is always safe, Nana will eventually desynch from the evasive movement and if Fox hits her thats when you pounce, you're already close by, you don't even have to grab you can nair usually cause Fox's love to shine nair nana, you can also uair or go for a grab or usmash or if your really confident even an utilt. Things I find that usually don't connect are dash attacks and fairs, fairs have to much start up and dash attacks tend to be out spaced in that situation.

Top Bottom