• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Final Fantasy Discussion - Final Fantasy XII remake incoming!

Minato

穏やかじゃない
You say that now, but when Team Ninja makes him look all attractive, you're going to feel some regret. lol

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
You say that now, but when Team Ninja makes him look all attractive, you're going to feel some regret. lol
To be honest, even in that picture, he looks like he belongs in that outfit :p

Edit: He looks TOO genuine.

Last edited:

Atrabilious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Atrabilious
I was so disappointed that Miss Cloud wasn't an alt. costume in Duodecim.

I would've mained him if it were.

finalark

SNORLAX
Given how much fanservice was in that game I'm genuinely surprised it wasn't.

Maybe Square was trying to preserve Hot Topic Cloud and felt that would clash with the image?

finalark

SNORLAX
In terms of neat costumes that didn't make it into the Dissidia games, I wouldn't mind seeing Wheelchair Bound Vegetable Cloud more Amano art. Garland got a costume based on his Amano art (which, in usual Amano style, looks almost nothing like his in-game art) and I wouldn't mind seeing more costumes like that.

Last edited:

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
I finally got into the series this year. Recently beat Final Fantasy IV, and now I'm playing through VI. I guess you could say I'm now officially a Final Fantasy fan. Any good Final Fantasy games for Wii or 3DS out there you guys would reccomend?

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
I finally got into the series this year. Recently beat Final Fantasy IV, and now I'm playing through VI. I guess you could say I'm now officially a Final Fantasy fan. Any good Final Fantasy games for Wii or 3DS out there you guys would reccomend?
Bravely Default on 3DS is supposedly a lot like Final Fantasy and a really good game (haven't played it yet).

There haven't been any main FF games on Wii, Wii U or 3DS. Mostly spinoffs like Theatrhythm, Final Fantasy Explorers, etc. The last main FF games were the FF13 series on PS3 and X360. Now also on PC.

The DS on the other hand had a remake of Final Fantasy III, as well as Final Fantasy IV. Plus other spinoffs.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
As @ LasermasterA LasermasterA said, FFIII is on DS. There's also Revenant Wings, the sequel to Final Fantasy XII and Final Fantasy Tactics: Grimoire of the Rift. Both of which are strategy games, so they're different than what you're used to. There's also Ring of Fates and Echoes of Time, both of which are Gauntlet-like multiplayer fests. I can't speak for any of the DS games except III, though. I haven't played them.

As far as the Wii goes, there's not a whole lot of noteworthy FF games. Although if you have one of the older Wiis you can play Crystal Chronicles, which is also a Gauntlet like multiplayer fest. It gets old quickly but its worth checking out if you can find it for cheap.

If you have an older DS you can play the GBA versions of FFIV, V and VI. Note that if you ever plan on playing FFV this version is the definitive version.

finalark

SNORLAX
Thanks for posting that. I had heard that a comparison video came and was looking all over for it but I couldn't find it. Probably because that video is unlisted. How you find these things, I will never know.

Anyway, it looks like the PS4 version is going to be the better looking of the two. I'm actually really excited for this, I've wanted Dissida on the big screen ever since the first one came out. I only hope that the three versus three game play doesn't make it too chaotic for its own good.

Also, since this is going to be an arcade game where saving your progress is impossible unless you purchase one of those handy cards you can scan in whenever you want to play, I'm wondering if each character is going to have a predetermined move set or if there's going to be a leveling system similar to the PSP games? I feel like that wouldn't really work in an arcade, but my views of what arcades are like comes from the late 90s/early 2000s so I'm probably totally off the mark here.

Atrabilious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Atrabilious
It does look a little too chaotic at points, in that video when Lightning summoned Ifrit and started wailing on Terra it was kinda hard to see what was going on, I imagine it'd only be worse if there were other characters spamming AoE blasts and whatnot.

Other than that, the game's looking pretty great. Bit mixed on the graphics, I love the added detail on PS4 but I'm digging the softer colours on the arcade version.

Animekey

Smash Cadet
NNID
Animekey
3DS FC
2277-7760-6665
Do y'all think Dissidia will add any more characters from spin-offs? Crystal Chronicles hopefully in my eyes.
Maybe Chocobo Dungeon....Heh.

(I'm unable to watch videos for a short time, apologies if this information was already said.)

Atrabilious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Atrabilious
Well we don't have confirmation that spin-off characters extend further than good ol' Ramza Beoulve, but I like to think that his inclusion is a big thumbs up to the possibility of more to come.

I suppose it's a question of what Square want to do, ensure that more FF games get representation period, or if they want to focus on adding more fan favourites to games that were already repped in Dissidia. We just don't have enough information at this junction to say either way.

finalark

SNORLAX
As far as characters goes we can only make wishlists for now. All we know at this point is that the following will be playable:

- The Warrior of Light
- Onion Knight
- Terra Branford
- Cloud Strife
- Lightning Farron
- Y'shtola
- Razma Beoulve

Interestingly, we haven't seen any antagonists yet. I doubt they've been dropped, but it is noticeable.

Animekey

Smash Cadet
NNID
Animekey
3DS FC
2277-7760-6665
Looks like I have another reason to get a PS4 over Xbone. I don't think the friend reason is holding up well for Xbone.
The game so far looks great! It's like every Final Fantasy Fans dream, I wonder what bonus mode they'll add this time for the booty. I've only played and beaten at least half the characters in Dissidia 1, so I wonder how many characters will be out compared to the PSP version.
There were costume DLCs too for the first one, so there's a possibility in character DLC since this is a console game now...But arcade wouldn't be able to receive them unless they put in a something to update their version of game.
-Gotta love the Onion-
If there were any Crystal Chronicles Characters, I think it'd be the main character of Ring of Fates. As far as I remember, he wasn't an Avatar and has a backstory with a little sister and a father or something.

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
Apparently, the game will launch with fourteen characters in the arcade, with the additional fifty added later though updates. I'm assuming that the initial fourteen are going to be the heroes from each game, possibly omitting eleven if they want to launch with Ramza.
I read that Ramza isn't to be added until after the initial release. I also do believe that the 14 characters will be the heroes from each game, which means that Ysh'tola will be the only newcomer in the original release which is kinda boring. The fact that they announced Ramza at this point though gives hope that they will periodically announce new characters from now on, even before the arcade release, which is always something to look forward to. Also, Bartz is somewhat confirmed because his voice actor appears with the others in the trailer credits.

Last edited:

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
So, I've found a lot more Dissidia videos. (Dissideos?) They're pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XebSK-MiGL0
New trailer. This one's actually edited somewhat interestingly.

-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o42Mz61B_NE
Part one of developer demo. Shows Lightning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0mjuRTNJLU
Part two. Shows Cloud messing around and showing off mechanics like guarding, dodging, and dashing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br0nZHOU8i0
Part three. Shows Midgar and Y'shtola being a badass totally awesome character.

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
Ooooooh. Mobius. That makes more sense than Mevius. Mevius is a brand of cigarette...

Also, the protagonist's name is Wol, an anagram for Warrior of Light. I find this rather humorous.

As far as that game goes, I don't really know what to think of it at this point. The trailers don't give me a very good idea of how it plays. Nevertheless, I'll keep my eye on it. It seems like they're trying to change what it means to make smartphone games, which is an interesting idea at the very least.

Animekey

Smash Cadet
NNID
Animekey
3DS FC
2277-7760-6665
Mobius looks neat, possibly one of the things I'd actually buy and play for quite a while for my phone. I never liked how FF 13 played, but Mobius scarcely looks...different? I suppose. It looks impressive for a mobile game nonetheless.

Only other game I bought was TWEWY, before the update broke it. Hurrah for another game to play finally that isn't a F2P Energy based one.

finalark

SNORLAX

Atrabilious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Atrabilious
This thread's been quiet for a while.

So, Dissidia. It's already come up a few times and discussion has mostly centred around what characters we'd like, but another element of the games I was personally always fond of was the fairly excellent music selection. With this dissidia being bigger than it's predecessors, I reckon' there'll be a good selection of songs added to the game. Assuming that all previous tracks in the games come back for this one, what songs are you hoping for to be included in this next dissidia?

With spin-offs getting the thumbs up, I'm hoping for some good FF Tactics and Type-0 music. Previous games had about 3-4 songs each before DLC so I'm hoping for these in particular to make an appearance:

FF Tactics:

FF Type-0:

Hoping for Trisection and What Becomes of Us the most tbh.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Sorry about the double post.

The next major reveal for FFXV won't be at E3, but Gamescom. There will be a new teaser at E3, but it will be more a lead-in to the big gamescom reveal.

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2015/...pacity-next-major-reveal-slated-for-gamescom/

So, I'm guessing that E3 press conference will probably focus on Star Ocean 5.
Isn't Kingdom Hearts 3 going to be in the E3 conference as well?

Anyways, I wonder when will there be further Dissidia arcade news?

finalark

SNORLAX
Square is going to be updating the FFXV demo to address many concerns that players had with the original demo.

http://www.gamesradar.com/final-fan...m_medium=social&utm_campaign=gamesradar-owned

It's not usual that demos get updated, but it seems to me that Square is using the demo more as a testing ground rather than a piece of promotional material. Given how much Squeenix has riding on FFXV, it's not surprising that they're taking in as much feedback as possible and trying to make the game the best it can be.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I'm glad they're putting out demos in order to get more feedback. This game isn't like FFXIV where they can make updates to change lots of gameplay mechanics. With how long we've been waiting for this game, they know they have to iron everything out before release day.

It's also nice to see because usually Japanese companies are very stubborn at adapting to new things. It's very progressive for Square to do this.

They learned a valuable lesson from XIV though, so I'm glad it's carrying over to here.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
Definitely a bit overshadowed by FF7
GameFaqs took a "favorite FF game" poll a few months ago, and a FFVI ended up just below FFVII. The new day they had people vote between VI and VII and VI ended up just barely beating it. So that's interesting.

But yeah, to non-fans of the series I'd say that FFVII pretty much overshadows everything, followed by FFVIII, X and XIII in no particular order. Among FF fans, the games that get overshadowed the most are FFII, III, V, XII and XI. Poor FFXII gets this hard, since it came out around the time that Square was hamming us with FFVII, meaning the game was quickly buried and forgotten underneath a mount of FFVII spin-offs. Although FFXI gets forgotten the most, since most people seem to complete forget the poor game even exists.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I'd say your list of overshadowed are spot on. V is my favorite of that list. XII was great too, but sadly it was around the time where S-E had really bad management (game still turned out fun to me). XI at least gets crowned as the most profitable FF, so I guess there's a victory there even if it is somewhat forgotten.

RetroBro

Smash Ace
I've never beaten FF12, but I've come around to its license system as the years have gone by, it's really fun to have totally free customization on your characters. But the characters were a bit lacking for me, Balthier/Gabranth were the only interesting characters... Vaan makes me want to vomit.

finalark

SNORLAX
I've never beaten FF12, but I've come around to its license system as the years have gone by, it's really fun to have totally free customization on your characters. But the characters were a bit lacking for me, Balthier/Gabranth were the only interesting characters... Vaan makes me want to vomit.
I'll agree that the narrative was easily the weakest part of the game. I think the setting is cool, and while I like Balthier, Basch and the judges most of the cast is really uninteresting and the story feels really uncertain of where it's going and what it wants to be. The game's troubled production and corporate interference (Vaan and Panelo were created because executives were afraid the main cast wouldn't appeal to Japanese fans) really hurt story.

That being said, FFXII is one of those games were it's greatness lies in it's very deep and rewarding game play. The fact that, except for the licence board and gambit system, the game is 100% copy-pasted from the already staggeringly deep FFXI really helps. Not to mention that it's easily one of the most open ended games in the entire series with beautiful environments, secrets and an entire full game's worth of side quests really helps it too.

I really want Squeenix to release FFXII HD already so I can revisit it and finally get my hands on the international version.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
It's funny how people hate on the Gambit system saying you can just program it and walk away. As if past FFs outside of like... FFX (for a good while) actually required changing strategies from boss to boss..

RetroBro

Smash Ace
I definitely enjoy them trying some new things. I wouldn't want the gambit system in the new FF's, but it was a fun diversion. Now the paradigm system... *Shudders*

Top Bottom