• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Final Fantasy Discussion - Final Fantasy XII remake incoming!

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
It's real huh? Let's see how much they change it up.

Edit: Oh my god. I just watched the trailer and I guess the hype is real now (even though I don't have a PS4 >.<, hoping for later PC release). Maybe development of XV has made making VII easier with them reusing assets and all that?

Considering VII is huge I still think they might cut some stuff out.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
Okay, so now that I've calmed down from the initial hype and have some time to really think about how I feel about the remake, this is what's on my mind: I really hope Square doesn't overthink this.

What I mean is that I hope they update what needs updating and leave what's fine alone. The actual core game play of FFVII, the battles, the materia, the countless goofy mini games, are all still pretty fun and engaging even twenty years later. Since all we have is a pretty CG teaser to drum up some hype there's no real details here. They could go either way with this one, but the very nature of the project is risky. If they chose to only tweak the game play then there's going to be a notable amount of people who consider that "lazy" or who find turn based JRPG game play boring since it's appeal isn't nearly as wide anymore. On the offhand, if they completely revamp the game play into a completely different beast then the countless people who had fond memories of the original are going to be disappointed.

Personally, I would rather they just tweak the game play and stay away from trying something new and wild with it as they've been doing with the series since the early 2000s. As I said, the game play isn't broke, so it doesn't really need fixing.

Then we get to the story.

Obviously there's going to be a few changes here. The real question here is how closely does Square want the remake to feel to the Compilation? At bare minimum there will be small changes made here and there to make the spin-offs tie into the original a bit better. At the same time, how close will it be to the original? The changes made to the characters and universe as a whole in Advent Children are already pretty divisive, so no matter what they do once again not everyone is going to be satisfied. FFVII has been molded by Square in the spin offs to be some kind of somber, emotional epic. But the original game was anything but. What is Square going to do about the parts that don't fit this vision of what FFVII is? Are we going to have to cross dress to save Tifa again? What about the magical legless floating old man who is very important to the story but is never mentioned in the spin-offs? Will Cid ask us to drink our goddamn tea? What's going to happen to the goofier parts of FFVII?

And that's not even hitting characterization changes. In the original game the Turks were cold, cunning, ruthless monsters who were absolutely loyal to the very evil Shinra (or Shin-Ra since we're getting all nostalgic here). The spin-offs turn them into a group of goofy, bumbling comic relief. Try watching any funny or charming Turk scene from Advent Children with the fact that these people are directly responsible for the murder of at least a million people.

So yeah, my biggest fear is that they'll try to turn FFVII into something it isn't. Chances are this will be the case, but I'm cautiously optimistic at this point.

EDIT:

Also, here's the trailer for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

Last edited:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Yea that is the thing I fear the most. Especially what you said about the Turks and Shinra.

And then there is the portrayal of Cloud. Which is ever so changing.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
For me, they better not touch the core gameplay. I haven't had normal ATB from Final Fantasy since FFIX, and that was a slowed down version. Also keep the victory screen too. For the minigames, I want them to keep as many as they can. Stuff like CPR and dolphin jump might be removed, but there were so many that gave us fond memories that they should keep.

I can see them tweaking the story a bit. Maybe add more backstory to help flesh things out (referencing past Turks). But keep Genesis far away as they can from this remake. But yeah, I can see the story being altered a little. It has to fit in line with the current scope of the game. I would like to see them keep all the quirkiness of the original though. FFVII had quite a bit a humor, and it made it fun for me.

As for the portrayal of Cloud, I think it'll be okay. He is supposed to act like Zack for the most part. "Emo" Cloud is mostly Advent Children Cloud due to circumstances that happened right before the movie, and that portrayal is the one that usually appears in spinoffs.

I think a depressed Cloud would change too much with FFVII anyway.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Yea Cloud is supposed to be mostly like Zack, confident, cheerful and all that. Although he does become "emo" cloud for a short duration in FF7 itself. Hopefully they don't mess up the characterization in the remake too much.

I really want the quirky things to remain. Like that quest to find Tifa including the cross-dressing part, Golden Saucer, chocobo, and the Knights of the Round Table summon. And other stuff I forgot.

Atrabilious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Atrabilious
Some of the little details and odd things in this trailer are really cool to me, though maybe I'm reading into it too much. That slide in the playground with the kids looks like the one just outside the sector 7 slums/wall market, and the kids are also fighting with a toy buster sword and toy masamune. The commentary that says 'hoped that one day we would see them again' and pans to the flowers and the feather on the floor (Aerith and Sephiroth nod methinks). The narration seems to be commentary on the release, reception and fan demand for a remake which is cool.

In any case, I'm a bit mixed on this remake. Years ago I was one of the people feverishly wishing for a remake, but as more of the compilation released I very quickly realised that all of this stuff that I just wasn't particularly fond of would have to be linked into the remake and would probably change aspects of the story in ways I wouldn't like. Depending on how much they change... it could end up being a serious mess. I'm a big fan of the original game, not so much the expanded universe. Zack and pre-insanity Sephiroth are cool, but stuff like Genesis and Angeal? Stuff like the ham-fisted tragedy that was Dirge of Cerberus and it's Tsviets? Will we bump into the Before Crisis Turks at points? Will Genesis pop up in the Nibleheim incident?

I mean they're going to have to include them somehow, they can't just ignore them. I'm hoping they handle it well.

I'd like it to remain faithful to the original game in terms of battle system and content (mini-games and the like). If you start cutting out all of the fun and quirky stuff from the original game, then it very quickly ceases to be the game a lot of people grew up with. I'm also curious how they'll handle the characterisation of Cid/Barret, who were notoriously foul-mouthed and in Cid's case fairly abusive (especially towards Shera). Makes me wonder if they'd redo those elements of the script or just roll with it.

But on the bright side, Midgar looks amazing. I know it's just a trailer but I can't even begin to imagine seeing Midgar in that sort of detail/scale. If they somehow pulled it off in the game I'd be amazed.

finalark

SNORLAX
Yea Cloud is supposed to be mostly like Zack, confident, cheerful and all that.
If we're basing our interpretation of Zack on how Cloud emulation his personality, I think I'd go with "smug asshole" over confident and cheerful. That characterization is probably a product of Crisis Core.

I'm also curious how they'll handle the characterisation of Cid/Barret, who were notoriously foul-mouthed and in Cid's case fairly abusive (especially towards Shera). Makes me wonder if they'd redo those elements of the script or just roll with it.
There's also the fact that AVALANCHE, who are supposed to be the good guys, is pretty clearly a terrorist organization. This wasn't a big deal twenty years ago but these days that might rub people the wrong way.

As for the portrayal of Cloud, I think it'll be okay. He is supposed to act like Zack for the most part. "Emo" Cloud is mostly Advent Children Cloud due to circumstances that happened right before the movie, and that portrayal is the one that usually appears in spinoffs.

I think a depressed Cloud would change too much with FFVII anyway.
I'm hoping Square agrees with you and doesn't try to force Hot Topic Cloud where he doesn't belong. I can't see Cloud angsting it up while he's plowing down a mountain on a snowboard without some measure of unintended comedy.

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956
I'm sitting here hoping for a release on Steam.

A number of other FFs have now ended up on Steam (As of right now, III, IV, IV After Years, VII, VIII, XI, XIII, XIII-2 and XIV are all on Steam, with XIII-3 on the way). I'm optimistic that this will end up on Steam as well. And why shouldn't it? Give folks a chance to melt their rigs with some of the most gorgeous graphics on the most celebrated of FF games.

Why would the make such drastic changes to the game's original story and characters in the first place though? You bring up the Turks between the game and the AC, but even Rufus Shinra (who was, by all accounts, even more ruthless than his old man) yet a near death experience and the fact (and acceptance of) that he pretty much on his own damn near wiped out the world turned him around. Perhaps the Turks followed. Why would they change such things in a remake?

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
Why would the make such drastic changes to the game's original story and characters in the first place though? You bring up the Turks between the game and the AC, but even Rufus Shinra (who was, by all accounts, even more ruthless than his old man) yet a near death experience and the fact (and acceptance of) that he pretty much on his own damn near wiped out the world turned him around. Perhaps the Turks followed. Why would they change such things in a remake?
Because the image that Square has been spending the past several years molding with the Compilation is pretty divorced from the universe we were shown in FFVII. Consider even Crisis Core, which, despite being a prequel, characterized the previously mentioned Turks in a manner closer to the Advent Children counterparts. Square has shown us what it wants modern FFVII to be, and I will be surprised if the remake isn't at least similar to the Compilation.

Also, expect them to awkwardly find a way to fit Angeal and Genesis into the game in some sort of way. They won't be coming back, but you can bet backstory details will be altered to make them and the events of Crisis Core fit in better. There's probably going to be some foreshadowing or some detail changes to help make Advent Children and Dirge of Cerberus feel less like cannon fanfics.

The point is, it will be different. Characters will likely be closer to what people have come to expect from the Compilation, story details will be changed and you can be that some of the goofier bits will be either cut or changed entirely.

Last edited:

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956
Because the image that Square has been spending the past several years molding with the Compilation is pretty divorced from the universe we were shown in FFVII. Consider even Crisis Core, which, despite being a prequel, characterized the previously mentioned Turks in a manner closer to the Advent Children counterparts. Square has shown us what it wants modern FFVII to be, and I will be surprised if the remake isn't at least similar to the Compilation.

Also, expect them to awkwardly find a way to fit Angel and Genesis into the game in some sort of way. They won't be coming back, but you can bet backstory details will be altered to make them and the events of Crisis Core fit in better. There's probably going to be some foreshadowing or some detail changes to help make Advent Children and Dirge of Cerberus feel less like cannon fanfics.

The point is, it will be different. Characters will likely be closer to what people have come to expect from the Compilation, story details will be changed and you can be that some of the goofier bits will be either cut or changed entirely.
Well, I'll still get it when/if it comes out on Steam. I'm sure there will be pissing contests here and elsewhere, but chances are I'll enjoy it just the same. As long as the central aspects are intact though, and the changes just make it flow a bit better with the Compilation, I think people will, for the most part, enjoy it.

If Aerith doesn't die however, then you might see some serious issues and, in my mind, legitimate gripes.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
Don't get me wrong, I'll still be getting it too. I'm just saying that from a narrative standpoint (and probably gameplay) it will be pretty different.

Curiosity here from anyone who has played most of the Final Fantasy games. Do you enjoy the whole series or only select segments of it?

I have played FF1/3/4 (remakes) and dabbled in either playing for short periods or other people FF7/10/12/13. Its quite the contrast I feel in how the games feel and their presentation. Going from almost traditional RPG roots into this new age fantasy.

finalark

SNORLAX
Curiosity here from anyone who has played most of the Final Fantasy games. Do you enjoy the whole series or only select segments of it?
As someone has has beaten every numbered Final Fantasy (save for XI and XIV which are MMOs, thus are unbeatable) I'd say I enjoy the series as a whole. Even the weaker games in the series I can have fun with despite their flaws, although some of them I'd have a hard time recommending to people.

I have played FF1/3/4 (remakes) and dabbled in either playing for short periods or other people FF7/10/12/13. Its quite the contrast I feel in how the games feel and their presentation. Going from almost traditional RPG roots into this new age fantasy.
I can understand how jumping from early FF to later FF can be jarring, but if you want to get into FF as a whole you just kinda have to accept that anything can be Final Fantasy. Knights and magic crystals? That's Final Fantasy. Evil corporations and experiments gone wrong? That's Final Fantasy. A world destroying whale that only religious rituals can stop? That's Final Fantasy.

Minato

穏やかじゃない

As a whole for the most part. The games are still targeted towards the same audience, they just like trying out various new ideas. Sure there are some I don't enjoy as much (II, XIII, etc) but they're not terrible games either. They're just ones I probably wouldn't revisit first over the others.

I was recently playing through FF1/FF2: Dawn of Souls and I thought it was interesting how the series feels like it has gone through some incredibly radical changes compared to some other long standing RPGs I know of. At the very least, FFI reminds me how much RPGs have changed over the decades. Playing through Dragon Warrior: Cobi's Journey, Lufia & The Fortress of Doom, and this game keeps it incredibly simple. You have a a general plot that keeps you together. A vast world worth exploring with relatively little NPC and remainders that no one else is alive in your area. Plus, the random encounter rates are two ****ing high. But, somehow its fun.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Tetsuya Nomura just said that the remake of FFVII might deviate from the original so that the remake is not an "exact copy".

So guess the original might be changed to suit the Compilation more.

finalark

SNORLAX
Yeah, as @ LasermasterA LasermasterA said it looks like things will be changed and that "extra plot devices" will be added. Stuff will probably be changed and added to make it tie into The Compilation. Also, changes will be made to the game play, although there's no real details on it right now. The article assumes that means that the battle system will change, but from what I've seen there's no real evidence of that. In Nomura's exact words, they'll be "updating it quite a bit."

http://uproxx.com/gammasquad/2015/0...make-changes-to-the-games-story-and-gameplay/

On the offhand, it looks like the goofier parts of the game will be intact. Nomura has confirmed that we can look forward to cross dressing in HD. I am very happy with this news.

http://www.vg247.com/2015/06/17/fin...-to-crossdressing-cloud-in-the-gritty-remake/

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Don't forget, instead of just referencing other parts of the FFVII compilation, they might throw some of those FFX references as well for fun since they are connected.

For me, I don't mind that the remake will change stuff. I still have the original which I can enjoy, just make it a good game in the end that keeps the fun of the original.

Last edited:

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
I am not surprised that Square Enix is actually remaking Final Fantasy 7. As long as Square Enix doesn't mess this remake up, Final Fantasy fans in general should be happy. A lot of fans wanted this game remade.

More remakes. Less original content. *table flip*

Besides that it would be interesting to see it remastered like Dawn of Souls. From what I can tell Dawn of Souls added extra dungeon content not required to be completed. I am fine with remakes like those that add extra, but not mandatory content.

finalark

SNORLAX
The game's story kind of reminds me of this for all three of you out there who saw it:

Although I think making a game that appeals to kids is actually a step in the right direction. FF is starting to reach the point where very few new people are hopping on board and most of it's fans are people who have been playing the series all their life.

Plus the game looks adorable, fun, and will probably have more in common with classic FF than any of the newer games do.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Double post and off topic, but I feel like this would interest Square-Enix fans. Here's an interview regarding Star Ocean 5. It goes into deal about the new game, the plot twist of 3, and even how how he felt that SO4 had problems. Lots of good stuff that makes me excited about the new Star Ocean game. The battles being seamless and promising over 6 character battling? It all sound great. The design of it gives me SO2 vibes as well.

http://venturebeat.com/2015/06/17/s...i-ace-has-learned-from-star-ocean-4s-foibles/

Soup's On!

Smash Cadet
Anyone else familiar with the Final Fantasy Five Four Job Fiesta? About 36 hours to go before it starts up! Last year I did about 6 or so runs of the game, I'm hoping to pull that off again.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
More FFVII (and KH3) news. http://www.khinsider.com/news/Quick-Time-Events-Will-Not-be-in-KH3-5575

Reaction commands are gone in KH3. I know some people didn't like them. I didn't mind them except for the long ones that would always appear. I did enjoy the ones you had to trigger by guarding the enemy into a stunned state though.

As for FFVII, they said to not worry about our nostalgic memories of stuff like the Honeybee Inn. Also minigames are definitely in. Seems like my enjoyment of the quirkiness of FFVII is shared by everyone, so that makes me happy.

Anyone else familiar with the Final Fantasy Five Four Job Fiesta? About 36 hours to go before it starts up! Last year I did about 6 or so runs of the game, I'm hoping to pull that off again.
Nice. I always here about people having fun in participating in that.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
Reaction commands are gone in KH3. I know some people didn't like them. I didn't mind them except for the long ones that would always appear. I did enjoy the ones you had to trigger by guarding the enemy into a stunned state though.
I think I have a hunch why. KHII gave you a ton of options for how to handle different situations. However, reaction commands were so versatile that it made most of these options moot. I'm willing to bet they removed them so they could still give the player a ton of options without them getting completely ignored.

As for FFVII, they said to not worry about our nostalgic memories of stuff like the Honeybee Inn. Also minigames are definitely in. Seems like my enjoyment of the quirkiness of FFVII is shared by everyone, so that makes me happy.
There was brief period when I was worried that Squeenix would try to go down the dark and edgy path with the remake but I'm glad to see the realize the goofier parts of the game are part of what made it so much fun.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Talking to friends, I actually wonder how much of the darker stuff is actually going to be handled in the game.

One is Cid's abuse to Shera at Rocket Town. She quietly accepts it saying it was her fault that she destroyed Cid's dream. I actually hope they do keep this because of two things. Cid realizing that even though he thought he saved Shera's life by not going into space, it actually ended up saving Cid's life in the end. Another is how the party acts to seeing the abuse Cid gives her since they all feel disgusted and bewildered by whey she puts up with it.

2nd is the black materia scene where Cloud ends up realizing that he gave Sephiroth the materia. Aeris tries to calm him down telling him it's not his fault, and all he does is push her down and starts hitting her. Your 3rd party member basically freaks out and goes down to stop Cloud. Cloud isn't doing this out of his own will though. The player is controlling that ghost child Cloud during all of this.

Last is I wonder if they're going to keep that implied sex scene with Cloud and Tifa? This only happened if you got enough affection points before the end of disc 2. Whether you got the points or not, whichever scene occurred was still a nice Cloud and Tifa scene. The reaction with the party is what cracks me up though lol

I'm interested to see how much of the compilation they weave together. I really don't want to see Genesis. I expect his name to come up, but I doubt we'll see pictures of him because of the whole Gackt stuff. I'd like to see more fleshed out stuff with some of the side characters though. Cissnei from Crisis Core comes to mind. IIRC, if you play FFVII and go to Gongaga, Zack's parents actually hint at Cissnei (although she wasn't a created character yet).

finalark

SNORLAX
Given how much more shocking it is to see domestic abuse played out with fully detailed HD models compared to what we had in 1997 I imagine it will either be vastly toned down and implied or removed entirely. I really hope they don't opt for it's removal since I feel it would really weaken Cid's character. On the same note, I image the black materia scene will be changed to your third party member stopping Cloud before he can do anything to actually hurt Aerith.

I'm really hoping they keep the dating sim elements in. Being able to change the story a bit and allowing Cloud to "go after" whoever you prefer was a nice touch and the "date" with Barret needs to stay in because watching two grown ass men who barely tolerate each other sitting in dead silence while cheery carnival music plays would be glorious in HD.

As far as additions from The Compilation goes, I'm expecting a lot of stuff from Crisis Core to weed its way into FFVII due it its status as a prequel and because it's the most popular spin-off. If Genesis makes a return hopefully it will be as a secret boss that has no bearing on the story. Although I wonder how optional the stuff with Zack is going to be this time?

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Now that you bring that up, I always loved how VII had a lot of optional stuff that was left to the player to find, piece together, and discover. You don't see too many FFs making entire places like Wutai optional. The whole Niblheim stuff was big. Some small stuff like seeing Reno and Rude in the forest discuss which girl they thought was cute was funny. I'm expecting less optional stuff in the remake though. Yuffie and Vincent are probably going to be mandatory this time around (and I'd prefer it that way for the remake because who would try to skip over them?).

It was also one of the last FFs where dialogue would change depending on who you brought. Meeting Zack's parents when you brought Tifa and Aeris was one. Rumor is from Verendus, the leaker, that Zack should have a much larger role this time. He's been much more fleshed out, so I'm looking forward to it.

finalark

SNORLAX
It's not surprising to hear that Zack will (probably) be getting a larger part given that he's popular and well-liked. I do agree that Yuffie and Vincent should join the party by default since the only reason why I ever skipped recruiting them the first time I played was because I went in blind and didn't even know they were in the game.

Although if they're going to make them mandatory I'd like at least one optional party member. Maybe Cissnei could come back and join the party.

Anyway, I am kind of worried about how Aerith's characterization is going to be handled. I feel like the spin-offs stripped away a lot of her spunk, flirtatiousness, adventurous and sometimes even tomboyish traits, making her into the tired incorruptibly innocent pure pureness archetype that JRPG healers tend to fall into.

Atrabilious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Atrabilious
Aerith was pretty forward in what she wanted from Cloud in the original game, and had something of a go-get'em attitude. I was actually quite fond of her character for it. She wasn't the typical good girl rpg character. Hell she had her moments of almost being a jerk, like getting Cait Sith to test her and Cloud's compatibility in the Gold Saucer in front of Tifa.

Cid's an interesting case. He's arguably what I'd describe as a good example of a character not needing to be a likeable good guy for them to be an effective character. I feel like if they tone Cid down, especially in relation to his dealings with Shera, the game will be less for it. Cid finally pulling his head out of his ass after realising Shera was right all along is the biggest part of his character arc, I don't feel like it would have the same impact if they toned him down to be grumpy-yet-amiable to Shera in the remake.

Tbh Cid's my biggest worry for the remake, I feel like he's the one most likely to get a considerable reworking. He's a profanity spewing, cigar smoking, verbally abusive jerk-ass, and by the nature of his character is probably the one most likely to cause offense to players/critics. And as such, the one I feel like they might censor the most internally for fear of backlash. That having been said, the developer's constant assurances that they're keeping the game intact has me hopeful they'll leave him be..

As for additional content, I'm hoping for more superbosses in this game. I feel like they're a very inoffensive way of adding compilation related content without playing around with the story's integrity. I'd love to fight Minerva from Crisis Core again, I'm very fond of her design, she just looks very cool.
Maybe Jade WEAPON from Before Crisis as well, stuff like that. Even if they were just hidden away in the Gold Saucer battle arena.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
All this talk makes me wonder if Squeenix is going to go for a Teen rating or not. If they decide to keep as much of the original story as possible intact then they're going to have to make a lot of tweaks. I don't imagine Barret and Cid cursing up a storm anymore and I imagine the story's more mature moments (as in actually mature, not a thirteen year old's idea of mature) getting massively toned down. Looking back, the original game was already pushing that Teen rating in a lot of ways.

Or they could just not care and go for an M rating like they did with Type 0. Then they could do damn near whatever they wanted.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I'd say the cursing is more of a bad translation thing. It's more of a level of rudeness on how characters speak, which sometimes get translated as curse words when done literally. Type-0 being rated M is a pretty interesting point, almost forgot about that. I don't think FFVII will go that route though, but at the same time there was a lot of dark stuff that you wouldn't see in future FFs. Having Avalanche members being crushed was one thing, but a lot of the Dyne stuff was pretty dark.

Some parts I'm really looking forward to in HD are Red XIII seeing his dad, end of Disc 1, and the Cloud and Tifa scene at the end of disc 2, and the final Omnislash. I'd list Niblheim there, but I Crisis Core's got me covered a bit there. I'm hoping encountering the weapons is as scary as before. There's nothing like trying to find that optional underwater dungeon and finding Emerald Weapon wandering nearby.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
I'd say the cursing is more of a bad translation thing. It's more of a level of rudeness on how characters speak, which sometimes get translated as curse words when done literally. Type-0 being rated M is a pretty interesting point, almost forgot about that. I don't think FFVII will go that route though, but at the same time there was a lot of dark stuff that you wouldn't see in future FFs. Having Avalanche members being crushed was one thing, but a lot of the Dyne stuff was pretty dark.
I'm not surprised, especially with how iffy the original translation was. You see a lot of amateurs translate rude or blunt speech patterns as cursing. I've seen a lot of fan subs where a character ops for da over desu and the subber decides the best way to convey a less formal tone is with an f-bomb.

On that note, that's why I really don't like watching fan subs. But that's completely off topic.

Anyway, I imagine we'll see Cid talking like his Dirge of Cerberus counterpart, which is the best way to go IMO. I feel like the way they handled him in that game is probably closer to what he was like in the Japanese version. Then again, I've never played the Japanese version of FFVII, so what I do know?

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Oh yea the weapons. That was pretty scary, I just want to go down in the submarine so that I can go grind for experience grind in the Turks' submarine, and boom, I bump into emerald weapon. To be honest, I never did beat Ruby Weapon. Or I might have but totally forgot. (gotta boot up old save file and beat him down)

I hope all minigames stay intact. Like that tactical minigame you have to do to defend one of the huge materia.

If the game goes for a teen rating (most likely), it is pretty obvious it will be toned down due to the realistic graphics as well as in rendition of Turks and AVALANCHE are portrayed. And regarding Cid and the other characters, probably go for how it was intended in the Japanese version of the game.

I still have to play Dirge of Cerberus so can't comment on that.

finalark

SNORLAX
I still have to play Dirge of Cerberus so can't comment on that.
Don't bother. The game play is average at best and it's honestly kind of a slog most of the time.

In terms of story, it's a sequel to Advent Children so I really doubt the remake is going to incorporate any elements of its story. Maybe they'll throw in some foreshadowing to make the story's occurrence more likely but given how contrived it is I find that unlikely.

Also, the existence of Weiss in DoC and Genesis in Crisis Core has me convinced that nobody at Square knows how to write a story in the FFVII universe without some kind of Sephiroth stand-in.

Last edited:

Soup's On!

Smash Cadet
And the Fiesta is underway. I went with a Natural Chaos run with Berserker Risk. My party is Red Mage, Berserker, Ranger, Berserker.

This feels like it's going to be a miserable run but here goes.

Top Bottom