• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Final Fantasy Discussion - Final Fantasy XII remake incoming!

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Gilgamesh may be awesome, but he alone is insufficent. So how bout them alts for...

Bartz/Butz and Exdeath.
Yuna and Prishe.
Bartz is pretty cool, although I'm not familiar with reasoning behind the costume. Is it more like his sprite, because he looks less feminine there?

Prishe looks decent, though I couldn't care less about her, and Yuna's face looks more like Paine's (with a bit of FFVII AC Aerith thrown in) in that screenshot lol.

StormKnight

Smash Rookie
NNID
Grandtheftreimu
3DS FC
4081-5795-8726
I have trouble when my opponents use HP attacks in Chase. I always forget to wait before dodging.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Gilgamesh

Also, I had a dream last night that I was on the Phantom Train. **** was scary.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
If you Throw the Excalipoor it does more than 1 damage.

True story.

Spire

III
BRoomer
If you Throw the Excalipoor it does more than 1 damage.

True story.
Which is why if Gilgamesh gets the Excalipoor in his EX Burst, he ends up crying and throwing it at the opponent and yes, it does more than 1 damage.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Should have put Vivi in over freaking Shantotto. No one cares about FFXI. Prishe and some antagonist would have been better.

finalark

SNORLAX
Should have put Vivi in over freaking Shantotto. No one cares about FFXI. Prishe and some antagonist would have been better.
This.

Honestly, I'm surprised enough people still play FFXI for Square to keep the severs up.

I'm pretty happy with the new addition as a whole, though. If I had to change anything it would go like this:

FFI: Red Mage

FFVI: Locke

FFIX: Vivi

FFXII: Balthier

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Replace Vaan with Ashe.

Give us Red Mage for the first Final Fantasy. Sweeeeet deal.

[EDIT]

Although I suppose that Lightning behaves much like a Red Mage. Sword/gunplay, white magic, black magic.

finalark

SNORLAX

Although I suppose that Lightning behaves much like a Red Mage. Sword/gunplay, white magic, black magic.
Eh, close enough.

I want to give FFXIII a whirl but I don't want to spend $30 on a used copy. Plus I really don't have the time for an RPG right now. Once summer rolls around if I can find someone with a copy I might borrow it from them.

Spire

III
BRoomer
It's worth playing through once. It's definitely as different as everyone says it is, for better or worse.

And man, never thought of Lightning as a Red Mage-like character in Dissidia 012.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
She does fit the bill though. If I had to pick though, a REAL red mage in appearance would be freaking amazing to use.

The closest we get is Cloud in his KH costume via red cape, but he doesn't have healing materia and just uses black magic and swords.

Hint, having an awesome cape means you're one step closer to looking like a Red Mage.

--

Though Terra and Bartz use Holy... gdit, there are a few red mages. But Lightning fits the bill the best. XD

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Eh, close enough.

I want to give FFXIII a whirl but I don't want to spend $30 on a used copy. Plus I really don't have the time for an RPG right now. Once summer rolls around if I can find someone with a copy I might borrow it from them.
FF13 is quite amazing in my book. I'm almost done with the game as a whole. (Turtle Farming > 10 last missions> done, lol) It has been a pretty good experience.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I didn't have the patience to run around Pulse doing missions. They were too long and drawn out. I'll probably never go back and do them either. And what are they for? Collecting special items and ****. I beat the game without doing many missions at all, so unless you're an avid completionist and/or collector, I'd advise not doing them as they're truly a giant use of time.

finalark

SNORLAX
It's worth playing through once. It's definitely as different as everyone says it is, for better or worse.
I really don't mind things being different, I just don't don't think I would enjoy holding forward for 40 hours.

Although I didn't mind the linearity of FFX, but from what I've read FFXIII is just straight hallways.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and Japan gets FFVI on their virtual console. Lucky *******s.

http://www.gamesradar.com/wii/wii/n...a-20110225155110486006/g-20060308165433320026

Spire

III
BRoomer
Man, just cause Japan is getting FF6 first doesn't mean we won't eventually. Stop being so pessimistic.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Well lol of course they are. They're Japan.

Man, 4 days until we hear about that "new character" in Dissidia.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I'm betting it's:

Desperado Chaos

This image was found hidden in the Prologus demo by hackers. It is cropped and sized exactly as Prishe and Gilgamesh's hidden images were in the demo. Though I'll have you know that if I could pick any one character from the entire franchise to be the final character, I would undoubtedly pick Odin, though seeing as how the Zantetsuken is one of Gilgamesh's weapons in Dissidia 012, I doubt that'll happen. In particular, I'd want him to be the third FF9 rep, seeing as how he played a minor role in the game as Queen Brahne's method of destroying Cleyra. Plus, this is by far his best design imo:

His story could also involve Squall and Lightning since they have relations with Odin.

mystery_dungeon

Smash Journeyman
Sidemoon Sidemoon. Welc welc ome welc omeome.
Though I'll have you know that if I could pick any one character from the entire franchise to be the final character, I would undoubtedly pick Odin, though seeing as how the Zantetsuken is one of Gilgamesh's weapons in Dissidia 012, I doubt that'll happen. In particular, I'd want him to be the third FF9 rep, seeing as how he played a minor role in the game as Queen Brahne's method of destroying Cleyra. Plus, this is by far his best design imo:

*image of Odin*

His story could also involve Squall and Lightning since they have relations with Odin.
And Cecil, don't forget about Cecil. (And Kain to a lesser extent)

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Thank you, someone that sees it like i do. I thought the game was incredible
I can see WHY 13 is how it is.

FFXII got so much hate. Lots of hate. Sad thing is, it was amazing to me (besides the end of the game storyline wise..)

It had "too much exploration"..

So, SE went in the opposite direction. They made a game instead of being way open 24/7, it's halfway linear and the other half has some exploration. They also dug way into character development, something they didn't really do in XII.

I think honestly XII/XIII are just both sides of the extremes, but I think XV will be nearly perfect.

I'm farming turtles right now..0/7 on Traps =/

Edit: On another note.. if they bring VI to NA, I'm so getting a perfect file. Ultima spammmm

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
I can see WHY 13 is how it is.

FFXII got so much hate. Lots of hate. Sad thing is, it was amazing to me (besides the end of the game storyline wise..)

So, SE went in the opposite direction. They made a game instead of being way open 24/7, it's halfway linear and the other half has some exploration. They also dug way into character development, something they didn't really do in XII.

I think honestly XII/XIII are just both sides of the extremes, but I think XV will be nearly perfect.

I'm farming turtles right now..0/7 on Traps =/

Edit: On another note.. if they bring VI to NA, I'm so getting a perfect file. Ultima spammmm
If XIII had a trade system, I would totally give you traps. I've found more traps than I have platinum ingots >.>

finalark

SNORLAX

I really don't see why FFXII gets the hate that it does. "Too much exploration?" What?

Regardless, I rather enjoyed the game. I wish the characters were better developed (because I love the story and the setting) and I wish the License Board was better executed but despite that I thought it was a very well made game.

And I love the dialog, so awesome.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I really don't see why FFXII gets the hate that it does. "Too much exploration?" What?

Regardless, I rather enjoyed the game. I wish the characters were better developed (because I love the story and the setting) and I wish the License Board was better executed but despite that I thought it was a very well made game.

And I love the dialog, so awesome.
FFXII is easily in my top three Final Fantasies. To date, there are only two other games/series whose worlds I've enjoyed exploring more than FFXII's Ivalice and that's the entirety of the Zelda series and Morrowind. Ivalice was so vast and so varied, and every single region had its own piece of music. It was ****ing fantastic. I felt like FFXII gave me more freedom than any other game in the series; it was almost a sandbox Final Fantasy. The culminative lore was absolutely convincing and infinitely intriguing, cast upon a Star Wars-like story and cast of characters and you've got a guy like me hooked. Unfortunately we got an HD TV while I was playing the game, so when I hooked the PS2 up to it, the anti-aliasing was really hard on the eyes, so much that it rendered the game unplayable. So I never got to beat it. I got a good ways into the game though, so I feel like I at least have a say.

Spire

III
BRoomer
The story sucked. That's the only reason. Everything else was very good.
Here's the difference between Final Fantasy XIII's story and every other Final Fantasy's story. XIII's was a lot like Greek Mythology, whereas all the others are stories about men with mystical elements woven in, even a god or two but half the time, chronicles a mortal becoming that god. In XIII, we see the gods co-existing with humans in the same world(s), and yet having access to more than the average man. Why so many people hate FFXIII's story is because they felt they had no say in it. Even if in every FF before it we ultimately had no say in the main events, we had enough expansive freedom to feel like we were inputing our own decisions. XIII's story gets backlashed not because of the story itself, but because of the accompanying linear structure of the game.

FFXIII was essentially a war between two Fal'Cie nations: those native to Pulse and those native to Cocoon. Their war was not as we understand war; Fal'Cie do not blatantly attack one another. Instead, they use l'Cie to carry out their desires to change and shape the world. But even then, Barthandelus is the only Fal'Cie with a personality even a smidgen similar to a human, and that's because he was created to be such.

What's beautiful about FFXIII is that it teaches us that no matter how grand an imposing foe may seem, no matter how much power they may exert, they can still be overcome. The gods are but mortals as well.

And honestly, while the cast of characters may easily be read as hit or miss, they are also easily the most fleshed out characters in the entire Final Fantasy franchise, period. They were written well enough to feel like actors on screen. And you see, they've received overwhelming criticism because of how realistically they were portrayed compared to characters of past entries. Those who say that characters in FF7 were more in-depth than those of XIII are blinded by nostalgia. The greater the technology, the better you can express human emotion and thus flesh out a character. IMO FFXIII had the best cast. Certainly not my favorite, but given just how they were portrayed, the best. By the end of the game, I understood every character. I may still not like Snow or Hope, but I certainly understand them far better than I understand Cloud, Squall, or Zidane.

So to say that FFXIII's story sucked is a fallacy. Your opinion, sure, but you're probably just pissed off at how the story was experienced over the story itself.

IMO the worst part about XIII was the constant flashing back to that ****ing festival with the big fireworks sphere and that dreadful love ballad pop song to accompany it.

Top Bottom