• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Final Fantasy Discussion - Final Fantasy XII remake incoming!

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
So... what's planned to be a XIII compilation [Agito] isn't anymore? That's why they made XIII-2 prolly. To end that and create Agito.

finalark

SNORLAX
So... what's planned to be a XIII compilation [Agito] isn't anymore? That's why they made XIII-2 prolly. To end that and create Agito.
That's what I've heard. Honestly, I'm expecting Versus XIII to get renamed any day now.

So am I the only one who wishes Square would remake the PS1-era FFs? I don't just mean FF7, I mean 8 and 9 too. Those graphics are not aging well and the game play on those could use some improvements too.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ If they did it right. If they mess it up, I'd kill them. I'd love FF7 and 9 remakes tbh. FF3/4 on the DS were remade well (graphics aside...), so yeah. I think they could easily pull it off, and they're waiting for the right moment.

@XIII. I can see why they did that. Make XIII-2 to please the ones who like it, and make Agito FFXV.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Agito is not FFXV. FFXV will turn out to be one of two things: a wholly new game, or a renamed Versus XIII. I'm truly hoping its the former.

Wow, I just remembered hearing about FFXIII and Versus XIII for the first time years ago. The news was vague, but it sounded like they'd be released at the same time and counter one another, similar to other paired games like every generation of Pokémon.

Square needs to professionalize a bit more and stop leaking a ton of info far ahead of release. It just ends up spoiling the games. Apparently they're aiming to spin Type-0 off into its own subseries as they've trademarked Type-1, Type-2, and Type-3.

finalark

SNORLAX
and they're waiting for the right moment.
I doubt that, IMO Square has no idea what they're doing these days. I picked up FFIV on the DS a few days ago and it's fantastic, but outside of remaking FFI, II and IV Square is just kind of like "CRAP! WE'RE HARDLY RELEVANT ANYMORE! WHAT DO WE DO!?"

Although I would love a 9 remake. Improve the graphics, make the battles flow better and fix trance and we're good to go.

Agito is not FFXV. FFXV will turn out to be one of two things: a wholly new game, or a renamed Versus XIII. I'm truly hoping its the former.
I agree. Although Versus XIII looks great I would rather they actually put effort into FFXV rather than just hastily rename Versus XIII.

Square needs to professionalize a bit more and stop leaking a ton of info far ahead of release. It just ends up spoiling the games. Apparently they're aiming to spin Type-0 off into its own subseries as they've trademarked Type-1, Type-2, and Type-3.
I think Square needs to catch up with the times and realize that they're nowhere near as relevant as they once were. They can't just slap the Final Fantasy logo onto a box and expect people to get excited anymore.

Spire

III
BRoomer
For the future of Square, I think they should halt the main series after FFXV. From there, revisit the old games. Expand upon the worlds and characters we've grown to love. Honestly, it seems like they just may stop at FFXV, especially with the Dissidia franchise and the TCG coming out; these two feel like penultimate bookends for the series as they mix and mash elements from every game together. I'd personally suggest to Square to do the following:
1. Fix FFXIV so it's at least no longer an embarassment.
2. Complete Fabula Nova Crystallis.
3. Refine and evolve the Dissidia and TCG series.
4. Create Final Fantasy XV and end the main series temporarily.
5. Work on reinvigorating the love for the old games beyond remakes through prequels, sequels, and other related works that may cross into other forms of media such as movies. Advent Children expanded FFVII tenfold as it paved the way for Dirge of Cerberus, Before Crisis, and Crisis Core... and the highly requested FFVII remake. Imagine what a FFVI or FFIX movie would do for those subseries. Basically, we're dawning upon a new age in Final Fantasy where each entry is becoming more and more a starting point for a subseries. FFVII has accomplished this, and FFIV, FFX, FFXII, and FFXIII have at least one related game each, in the forms of FFIV: The After Years, FFX-2, FF Tactics, FF Tactics Advanced, FF Tactics Advanced-2, FFXII: Revenant Wings, Vagrant Story, FFXIII-2, FF Versus XIII, and FF Type-0.

EDIT:

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ They can though. FFXIII sold so much Finalark, and look at it. Now I love FF13, but it's hardly a FF tbh, and yet it sold...so much.

@ Spire, add "End FFXI" to your list. It's pretty much done.

Also, expanding on FFVI would be <3

And, they are making a FF TCG? Oh my god...

finalark

SNORLAX
For the future of Square, I think they should halt the main series after FFXV. From there, revisit the old games. Expand upon the worlds and characters we've grown to love. Honestly, it seems like they just may stop at FFXV, especially with the Dissidia franchise and the TCG coming out; these two feel like penultimate bookends for the series as they mix and mash elements from every game together.
TCG? Regardless, I get what you mean and I agree with it. It would be nice if FFXV was another FFIX in the sense that it's one big love letter to the series' past installments.

I'd personally suggest to Square to do the following:
1. Fix FFXIV so it's at least no longer an embarassment.
They've been taking steps to do this, all we can do is wait and see how well they did when the PS3 version comes out. Honestly, Square isn't very good at making MMORPGs IMO.

5. Work on reinvigorating the love for the old games beyond remakes through prequels, sequels, and other related works that may cross into other forms of media such as movies. Advent Children expanded FFVII tenfold as it paved the way for Dirge of Cerberus, Before Crisis, and Crisis Core... and the highly requested FFVII remake. Imagine what a FFVI or FFIX movie would do for those subseries. Basically, we're dawning upon a new age in Final Fantasy where each entry is becoming more and more a starting point for a subseries. FFVII has accomplished this, and FFIV, FFX, FFXII, and FFXIII have at least one related game each, in the forms of FFIV: The After Years, FFX-2, FF Tactics, FF Tactics Advanced, FF Tactics Advanced-2, FFXII: Revenant Wings, Vagrant Story, FFXIII-2, FF Versus XIII, and FF Type-0.
I love the idea of them expanding on their past series' but sadly Square only seems interested in milking FFVII. Although they did take steps in the right direction by setting XII in a pre-established universe. But yes, Square needs to realize that people have more love for the Final Fantasies of the past then they do of the Final Fantasies of the present.

@ Spire, add "End FFXI" to your list. It's pretty much done.
And this. Seriously, they just put out a new expansion, trying to keep it going for longer. IMO, the people who still play FFXI are like the people who still play EQ1. They've just invested so much into the game that they don't want to move on to better MMORPGs.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Abyssia is NOT AN EXPANSION. It just ruined the game. That is all.

Also, FF TCG sounds fail tbh... I'll so collect the cards, though.

finalark

SNORLAX
You know, I don't see what's with companies and licensed card games. They're never taken seriously by any TCG player (I think the only licensed TCG that can be taken seriously is YGO, and that's because it has less to do with the manga/anime and more to do with trying to be it's own thing) and they don't last more than a year.

I mean really, how many of you actually played the Kingdom Hearts TCG? I think the only reason why I would buy any FF cards is just because I grew up on the franchise and I'm a bit of a fanboy.

Spire

III
BRoomer
They made a Kingdom Hearts TCG? Lol. I'll probably buy up every FF TCG card just as collector's items, if not to give the game a chance. IMO nothing will beat Triple Triad.

Mr.-0

Smash Ace
Made a thread about it before seeing this thread lol. The text below is the opening to that thread. So, pretty much, how do you guys feel about Final Fantasy Versus 13 and it going to the 360 or not?

So, as many of you probably know, Final Fantasy Versus 13 is looking to be one sweet game, and has generated more hype than any of the other Fabula Nova Cyrstallis titles so far, and something very important has popped up in it's development that many people are talking about. Originally and currently going to be a PS3 exclusive, it is being designed as such. However, Yoichi Wada, president of Square Enix, was asked in a shareholders interview if it would also be made for the Xbox-360. Replying with a were looking into it, we might make a formal announcement type reply, many fans outwardly backlashed against this, claiming that the Xbox-360 ruined the mainstream FF13, a claim which many believe. Over half of the intended gameplay in FF13 was cut out due to the decision to go multiplatform on the Xbox-360. They're even making a new game with large portion of that content, Final Fantasy 13-2. Because of the ill affects that the Xbox-360 had on FF13, almost all online FF Versus 13 followers outraged against this. The president later elaborated and said, "It looks like the [inter]net is heating up. Versus on Xbox? What I said at the earnings press conference was just that until a formal announcement is made at the announcement time; all points about all titles are not finalized." Many fans were still angered, however. At the same time, many FF13 fans who had bought the game for the Xbox-360 and supported the idea of FF Versus 13 coming over to the 360 also began posting, and several Versus Debate forums and discussions began popping up, although none that I can find here. With that said, I ask you: do you think FF Versus 13 should be PS3 exclusive, or move over to the 360 as well?

I, personally, wish for the game to be efficiently ported over. Basically, I want the game to be developed for the PS3 in mind only, released for the PS3, and after that, a later release for the 360, also being well-developed. Giving the sucess of FF13 on the 360, it is likely that Square Enix will have to make a move soon. So, just give your side of the story, tell which point you support, and why. Or, if you believe in a compromise, like a post-release port over or the 360 getting it's own FF exclusive in return.
Go people, go!

finalark

SNORLAX
As far as I'm concerned, just so long as they don't have to cut content to put it on the 360 then go for it. I may favor the PS3, but I don't see any reason why it shouldn't go to the 360.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ Never. And if the TCG comes to english, I'll collect FF TCG. Did the KH TCG make it to America?

finalark

SNORLAX
Did the KH TCG make it to America?
It did, I remember seeing packs and decks down a target a few years back.

If the FF TCG does come to America I wouldn't expect it to stick around very long. Unless your name is Magic the Gather doing expect a particularly long stay in the western TCG world. Or any respect for that matter.

Frankly, I'm surprised the YGO TCG is still here, and the only thing keeping the Pokemon TCG alive is the fact that it's Pokemon and kids will flock to it like no other.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Pokemon TCG is weak. It's strategy is very linear (block trainer cards and conquer), so it should die imo. I love Pokemon to death (pre-ordered gen 5), but tcg is crap. YGO went downhill as well.

FFTCG will be more collectable than competitive I think.

finalark

SNORLAX
Pokemon TCG is weak. It's strategy is very linear (block trainer cards and conquer), so it should die imo.
Pretty much. A friend and I went out and picked up new cards for the nostalgia and got bored pretty quickly. And this is coming from someone who played the game competitively as a kid.

YGO went downhill as well.
Snycro monsters are a joke, IMO. Takes way to long to get out and relies to heavily on easily beatable monsters to win. Not fast enough for competitive play, same goes for fusion monsters. I think YGO is pretty solid, but eventually Snycro gimmick will stop being the focus of the newer sets and fade away like fusion did because it can't be taken seriously competitively.

FFTCG will be more collectable than competitive I think.
Most likely. It will probably just be something fun to do with other FF fans I think.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I'll probably collect FF Cards, as I collected some Pokemon(Tyranitar) cards as well. That's all I can say....

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
Not game specific but I'm super pumped for the FF Distant Worlds concert in NYC! Me and a few of my friends are crazy and bought the VIP tix :3 so I hopefully get to meet Nobuo! Has anyone else here been to one before or is planning to go one?

http://www.ffdistantworlds.com/

Spire

III
BRoomer
Not game specific but I'm super pumped for the FF Distant Worlds concert in NYC! Me and a few of my friends are crazy and bought the VIP tix :3 so I hopefully get to meet Nobuo! Has anyone else here been to one before or is planning to go one?

I went to a Distant Worlds concert last summer. You won't regret a single dollar.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion

Went to the Distant Worlds in Virginia past summer. It was amazing. Though I was disappointed that they chose to play JENOVA instead of Dancing Mad.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Uematsu said he'd bring the Black Mages by this year to play Dancing Mad with the Distant Worlds orchestra. But then the group disbanded because of copyright issues with Square :ohwell:.

Spire

III
BRoomer
But Uematsu works with square right?
He works with them, not for them. He is not paid a salary. Square owns the rights to the music he composed for them and they were not directly profiting off of The Black Mages.

I really don't care all that much for Dancing Mad. It seems to have an Internet-fueled cult following similar to Molgera's theme from The Wind Waker, just as FFVI and Kefka have built up notoriety on the Internet like Majora's Mask. So much bandwagoning on the net. Regardless, Dancing Mad is a great theme, but definitely not one of my favorites.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Dumb. I mean, if a composer can't use his works, what can he do?
Buy the rights to his work? I find it truly odd that despite all the work Uematsu has contributed to Square, and despite how much rejoice and revenue The Black Mages actually bring to the fans and to the company, that they won't allow him to continue his little side project.

finalark

SNORLAX
I really don't care all that much for Dancing Mad. It seems to have an Internet-fueled cult following similar to Molgera's theme from The Wind Waker, just as FFVI and Kefka have built up notoriety on the Internet like Majora's Mask. So much bandwagoning on the net. Regardless, Dancing Mad is a great theme, but definitely not one of my favorites.
Pretty much. I've heard numerous remixes of Dancing Mad and I never really got what the big deal is. I can't even recall the melody.

Although I will admit that Dancing Mad is an awesome name for a song.

EDIT: If anyone cares, FFXI Ultimate Edition is on sale for five bucks on steam.

Christ does that make me wish FFXI didn't suck.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
It's 5 because it sucks dude. Chains of Promathia is fun though, just for the story<3

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ With the level cap so high you can solo it... nevermind, I forget there are capped fights..

finalark

SNORLAX
I mostly don't feel like putting up with stupidly high difficultly, poorly designed interface and general lack of modern innovations.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ so you hate old games!?

lol j/k

Get MvC3 and be a noob with me =(

finalark

SNORLAX

More FFXIV news.

Yoshidia, the game's producer released a new letter. Apparently, patch 1.15a (which vastly improved upon number complaints such as improving combat, experience gain, ect.) was just the beginning of several updates made to improve the game based off of user advice with the next player poll focusing on improving the battle system. The letter also gives us an overview of planned additions and changes including changes to the quest system, instances, and a lot more.

It's nice to see that XIV has a producer who actually gives a damn about it. I hope that all of these overhauls will eventually make the game good.

The letter here: http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/detail?id=c445fc7766b876ae754d967dcabbc24abc29469f

Top Bottom