• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Final Fantasy Discussion - Final Fantasy XII remake incoming!

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Although I never knew why everyone talked about how hard FFV was, I never had any problems with it. Then again, I was addicted to the class system causing me to grind my balls off JUST to unlock new skills so.... yeah.
IMO, FFV in Anthology felt way easier to me than the SNES version. I could be mistaken, but I rarely had issues in that game compared to the original. The last boss didn't even do that move where he'd petrify and kill you in one move in Anthology. I might have been lucky in my whole entire playthrough but the game really did feel easier.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Soundtrack listing revealed thus far for Dissidia Duodecim. And this is only from the 1st Disc. There is supposedly 2 or 3 Discs full of songs now. DLC songs and costumes are confirmed as well. I'm loving the musical selection.

Those Who Fight (FFVII)? Finally!

Final Fantasy's "Chaos Shrine", "Matoya's Cave", "Gurgu Volcano" (Original)
Final Fantasy II's "Castle Pandaemonium", "Imperial Army Theme", "Dungeon"
Final Fantasy III's "Battle 1", "Crystal Cave", "Let Me Know The Truth" (Original)
Final Fantasy IV's "Battle 1", "Theme of Love" (Original), "Suspicion", "Into The Darkness"
Final Fantasy V's "Neo Exdeath", "My Home, Sweet Home" (Original), "Dungeon"
Final Fantasy VI's "Battle 1", "Phantom Forest", "Searching for Friends" (Original)
Final Fantasy VII's "J-E-N-O-V-A", "Tifa's Theme", "Those Who Fight" (Original), "Forested Temple"
Final Fantasy VIII's "Force Your Way", "Find Your Way", "Julia", "Premonition" (Original)
Final Fantasy IX's "Grand Cross", "You're Not Alone" (Original), "The Place I'll Return To Someday"
Final Fantasy X's "Summoned Beast Battle", "Yuna's Theme", "Via Purifico", "A Fleeting Dream"
Final Fantasy XII's "Esper Battle"
Final Fantasy XIII's "Blinded By Light" and "Saber's Edge"

February has Marvel vs. Capcom 3
March has Dissidia Duodecim

This is a good fighting year so far. :D

finalark

SNORLAX
I really wish there was an English version of FFXII International. I kind of want to play through it again but I do not feel like putting up with the license board.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ It's not that bad, really. I've been grinding so much on 13 at chapter 11. >_> Fang almost has haste now....

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
^ It's not that bad, really. I've been grinding so much on 13 at chapter 11. >_> Fang almost has haste now....
If you're at Ch. 11, just grind in Archlyte Steppe at the Behemoth King/Megistotherian fight. You get premp and they don't even pay attention to you until you kill one.

TBH though, you shouldn't have to grind until post-game. The game is designed so that you can make it through without much difficulty.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ Yeah but I love ****ing. Also now that Fang has haste, the Cp accumulated through normal play shall make her far better than Sazh. (Light/Fang/Vanille!) I don't care for Hope, Sazh is weak, and Snow...he is a very nice character but Fang is cooler. XD

Anyways, I like the bombs at Malbahara(sp) You get 7000 per kill in a 20 second fight.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Mahabara is the underground portion right? That's a great place to grind for components.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Mahabara is the underground portion right? That's a great place to grind for components.
Yeah, exactly what I've been doing. I wanted to get Fang's Syn up (because she caries all the good buffs, and with Taming Pole ****s), so I did just that. Now Sazh is replaced and it's an all female team.

Light does Rav > Com > Backup Medic (Build Stag > Damage > Heal if needed)
Fang does Syn > Com > Sent (if needed)
Vanille does Sab > Rav/Sab > Rav/Med (Main healer, but depends on how tough they are)

Have to say, it owns the game.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I'm real excited for Yuna in this game. negl

Now that's left is for the rest of the soundtrack to be revealed. /fighting to "Those Who Fight" ftw

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Not sure I really like the English voices, but then again, outside of XII I've never been fond of Square Enix's English voice acting.
What do you mean Square some times does amazing when it comes to VAs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfQXSIpzYJo

But I can see where your coming from, Laugna doesn't sound anything like I imagined. And even then he puts almost no emotion into his words.

finalark

SNORLAX
What do you mean Square some times does amazing when it comes to VAs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfQXSIpzYJo
Given the cheesiness of those lines the VA does a pretty decent job at delivering them. But I've never played TWEWY so IDK.

But I can see where your coming from, Laugna doesn't sound anything like I imagined. And even then he puts almost no emotion into his words.
When I think of Square's voice acting, I can't help but think of how everyone in FFX and other games RANDOMLY emphasized words that SHOULDN'T have any emphasis ON THEM. Or how sometimes they would......

.... randomly pause whey they SHOULDN'T.

Then again, this seems TO BE a problem in a number of animes....

... and JRPGs.

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I'm not sure what to say about the emphasis problem, but I do know that the pausing randomly is to sync with the lips. They pause at random moments because the animators don't have enough money in the budget to change the animations to fit the English dialogue.

Spire

III
BRoomer
JRPG voice acting should be proof enough as to why Nintendo hasn't opted for VA in LoZ.

Wow, Laguna's voice practically just ruined the character for me. Here's to hoping Gilgamesh doesn't sound like a dolt.

I like how Duodecim seems to be a lot more grounded in terms of gameplay. It's slower and less like DBZ Budokai, like it should be.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
The voice acting for FFIVDS is really hammy and its harder than other American versions of FFIV that have been released, but other than that it's still a good game. The Augments are really cool and Auto-Battle saves a lot of time.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I just hate the character design seen in the DS versions of FFIII and IV. Holding off for FFIV Complete.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I like the FFIV DS version :D. (Robin from Teen Titans as Cecil ftw!!!!)

Minato

穏やかじゃない
.... randomly pause whey they SHOULDN'T.

Then again, this seems TO BE a problem in a number of animes....

... and JRPGs.
They had to have pauses because they just dubbed it instead changing the mouth movement to match the english version.
Future games from Square-Enix made the mouths match which allowed the VAs to deliver their lines properly instead of pause and stretch out words. And obviously you can't do that with anime, so yeah, they're always there.

And I actually am starting to like some of the voice acting in X now. I used to think a lot of them were bad back when I first played it (most voices still are), but Tidus's and some others grew on me.

I just hate the character design seen in the DS versions of FFIII and IV. Holding off for FFIV Complete.
That's what I'm doing too. I hope the inevitable V and VI remakes are done properly in the future.

finalark

SNORLAX
The voice acting for FFIVDS is really hammy and its harder than other American versions of FFIV that have been released, but other than that it's still a good game. The Augments are really cool and Auto-Battle saves a lot of time.
I went out a picked up a copy of the game last night and the Octopus kicked my *** :(

I do not remember FFIV being this hard when I played through it as a kid. Oh well, grind time I guess, auto-battle really does make grinding less tedious.

Also, I actually really like the hammy voice acting. FFIV comes off to me as being pretty hammy as a whole anyway.

Yeah, it kind of annoys me how everyone looks like they're ten.

EDIT: Speaking of FFIV, has anyone here heard OC Remix's FFIV album?

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Can some pm me with help on FFXIII's story?

So Falcie want the maker back, they build an offering in the sky called cocoon and use Lcie to destroy it. Why didn't it get destroyed the first time, and I don't quite get Bart's motives. A lot of little things are confusing me (those in particular), but also why the Falcie can't just destroy it themselves. A good story, but I'm a little clueless on parts.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Type-0 looks completely nuts. I'm guessing it's going to be the first M-rated Final Fantasy game? That trailer was intense.

Heh, I can't help but see Harry Potter as an influence.

I'm eager to learn how XIII/XIII-2, Versus, and Type-0 tie together. Judging solely by the worldliness seen thus far in these games, might Versus be based on Gran Pulse; a predecessor to XIII and XIII-2?

Also just out of curiosity, if you guys could rank your top three antagonists based on their original intent outside of Dissidia, how would you do so? I'd probably go:

1. Sephiroth - The classic tragedy of the fall from a hero to a fiend. Come to think of it, Sephiroth is similar to Darth Vader. Sephiroth manages to become a worldly presence throughout the game; everyone fears him or his residual effects. Sephiroth tells the story of a man so upset with his origin that he seeks a power greater than man to purify his mere existence, so he can better cope with himself—no, so his ascended state would be so grand that it would be wholly incapable of concern with such a trivial issue. Sephiroth aims to wipe out every last natural human to rationalize his existence. If he can't be human, then no one can. It is the ultimate act of selfishness and thus labels him a truly awesome villain.

2. Ultimecia - A sorceress who identifies the crudeness of organized education, inhabits the mind of the weaker, contemporary sorceress Edea, and creates the SeeD program to destroy one another in an attempt to eliminate every possible threat so she can merge her mortal being with time itself? Seeing as how time is a dimension that exists outside of the layered planar dimensions, that is super badass. I know that Garland essentially tried to do the same in FFI, but I enjoy Ultimecia far more because of who she opposed: a bunch of over-charismatic (sans Squall) teenagers who think they can (and somehow manage to) save the world. If I could single-handedly take on any of the bands of heroes from the FF series, I'd happily kill off FF8's cast.

3. Garland (FFXI) - He is the ultimate sci-fi villain of the Final Fantasy franchise. The Terrans were a highly advanced species who spread technology across the face of their planet. They perpetuate so much and so quickly that they must consume other planets to secure the survival of their kind. They created the android Garland to ensure their survival and carry out a 5,000-year old plan to efface and consume Gaia come time. The Terrans remind me of humans from our Earth. We act in such a bacterial manner. In short, we consume more than we provide. Garland as a single being represents the culmination of world governments. He upholds policies and executes world-changing decisions. Governments are machines and so is Garland.

Edit: lol can't believe I chose Sephiroth. I always had a penchant for the other villains, but I guess after thinking about them all so much and writing up my thoughts on Ultimecia and Garland, Sephiroth ended up stealing the show anyways. But really, it's entirely based on the context of the world to which he belongs. Place him in any other world in the franchise and he just wouldn't work except perhaps XIII. I could see him being a l'cie and not knowing how to cope with it, whereas the protagonists are learning how. Anyways, enough fan fiction, I think my point remains.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
LMAO!

You know it wouldn't look so strange if he wasn't so tall, I think.

She's 18, mind you, just to cover my options in case you weren't sarcastic. lmao

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, I know Serah isn't jailbait, but next to Snow she just looks tiny. I mean everyone looks small compared to Snow, but even Vanille looks taller than her. And she's...well actually she's like 500 years old, but you know what I mean.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
LMAO!

You know it wouldn't look so strange if he wasn't so tall, I think.

She's 18, mind you, just to cover my options in case you weren't sarcastic. lmao
It doesn't help that Serah has the figure of a 12 year old, either. >.>

Type 0 looks crazy. I'm not sure what to think of it yet, but the blood just looks funny, like Mortal Kombat II blood. Definitely the most graphically violent FF to date.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Yeah, I know Serah isn't jailbait, but next to Snow she just looks tiny. I mean everyone looks small compared to Snow, but even Vanille looks taller than her. And she's...well actually she's like 500 years old, but you know what I mean.
Yeah, I getcha.

... I can't help but think of that one shot of Archer and Rin from Fate/Stay Night, where he's like, twice her height.

It doesn't help that Serah has the figure of a 12 year old, either. >.>

Type 0 looks crazy. I'm not sure what to think of it yet, but the blood just looks funny, like Mortal Kombat II blood. Definitely the most graphically violent FF to date.

Whoopsie!

Top Bottom