• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General anime thread/Anime (and manga) New OP,Edits Coming Soon!

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
^If you like Death Note, I highly suggest Liar Game. Except for supernatural entites, both have that delicious psychological flavor. I wish more people would look at this if they liked Death Note; Liar Game deserves some attention.

This is so important it needs to stand out! said:
I remeber the F-Zero anime and that 4Kids stopped airing it for a time, I think (I should probably watch it again). I guess if someone likes Captain Falcon, they ought to give themselves a favor and watch it (and that should be almost everybody on SmashBoards). Now if it was adapated into manga...
Someone really needs to start updating the front page, because someone not interested in anime (or manga) will want to shift through 30 pages if they hope to find something eye-catching.

gopobox

Smash Journeyman
Clannad Episode 4 : 16mins 19 secs ~ 17 mins 14 secs. EPIC

Have you guys watched ef?
Its a romance crap but since im a homo gay ***..
I like it.
Its different from the 'average joe' anime but the story is good, the animation is amazing.
Unique. Guys who hate romance animes, do NOT watch this.
I only watched the first one though " ef- a tale of memories'

thumbswayup

Smash Master
It's been a while since I last checked this thread.

I'll say again that Berserk and Death Note are two must see shows. Berserk starts out kinda bad, but by the end it becomes the greatest anime ever made. Death Note is perfect from the very start until ep 25, after that it becomes the worst thing ever. 0/10 for the last 12 eps my god they are trash.

SpeedAcE

Smash Journeyman
I honestly didn't think there was anything similar to Death Note out there until I read Liar Game. It's simply smart and forces the reader to actually think; the psychological aspect is also great, I didn't expect it to play a significant role but I was pleasantly surprised. I think it surpasses Death Note.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Awwww man this thread is great. I finally found a site to read manga online from shows I didnt even think were based off a manga XD

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
And what about Ranma 1/2...... Ive been wanting to read that for a while since I stopped seeing the anime when I was about I dunno....... 4 or 5 years old

BBQTV

Smash Master
has anyone heard of the manga my balls? [their is a manga called this no joke]

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Awesome thread!

RECOMMEND--- Elfen Lied,
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood. (It's the new remake with waaay less fillers, much faster pace.)

Might check out -Liar Game- now since so many people are claiming its on par with Death Note, Loved DN. L!

Need to watch Cowboy Bebop, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Black Lagoon, Afro Samurai and maybe Berserk.

Can anyone recommend any MECH animes? Loveed Code Geass and will be watching Evangelion soon, anything else?

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
At McDingus, if you are willing to put up with a slow start, Eureka 7 is well worth it.

Also, an anime for people who don't like Anime, 5 Centimenters a Second. Nothing about this is contrite or any thing else you might sucpect from an anime. There is no scifi, there are no slutty women, there are no ninjas, its a guy, a girl, and a love story, simply put.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Monster needs to be on this list. It is so much unlike an anime that it could easily become a live action show or movie instead.

Not to forget to mention that it's also really good.

EDIT: Just realized it was on the list... I somehow missed it. That's why I get for skimming over the post. T_T

Oh well, I can use this post to recommend it more, right? XD

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
I would add the following:

Code Geass (R1 + R2)
Death Note and Gundam had a wonderful love child! Code Geass is a psycological thriller comparable to Death Note that is surprisingly not harmed by the inclusion of giant robots known as Knightmares that serve as the almost sole means of combat in the series. The story centers around Lelouch Lamperouge, who gains the power to command any person he makes direct eye contact with, and his desire to cause the downfall of the tyrannical Britannian empire.

D.Gray-man
The Millenium Earl seeks to destroy humanity by using weapons called Akuma, which are essentially human souls trapped in a puppet body and forced to kill. The Black Order is a religious organization more commonly known as exorcists who live to purge the world of evil creatures, especially Akuma. Allen Walker, a young exorcist with a cursed eye that can see the souls of Akuma and a parasitic-type anti-akuma weapon built into his left arm, is a new recruit to the order. He will learn more about his past as he fights to prevent the apocalyspe.
A great anime full of amazing humor and fight scenes that, unlike Naruto or DBZ, aren't mostly talk.

Hellsing (OVA)
The enemies are nazi vampires.... what more could you possibly want? Fine... the main character is Alucard, the most powerful vampire to ever live. He possesses a gun with silver bullets, can summon hellhounds, and can regenerate from almost any wound. What, you cut his head off, is that all? He'll be back any second now. Basically, he's not a sparkly pretty boy vampire named Edward Cullen. If Edward made vampires lose over 9000 respect points from anyone with half a brain, then Alucard has earned them back and some. This is easily one of the most awesome anime series ever... too bad it only has a few OVAs so far (with more in the making).

Kaze No Stigma
Kuzuma Yagami was born into the Kannagi clan and was to be the next in line for head of the family... however, he had no ability to use the fire magic that the family has prided itself on (even going so far as to oppress people who use other magics). Kuzuma was banished from the family and eventually became a master of wind. He is the first contractor, one who makes a pact with elemental spirit kings, in thousands of years, giving him amazing powers. When he returns to Tokyo, members of the Kannagi clan are being killed and everyone blames him. He must work to find the true culprit while being attacked by his own former family.

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
@Chris Lionheart: this dude knows what he's talking about and they are all excellent choices.
I also liked Samurai Champloo but it has alot of swearing and sexual references but it's hilarious and has pretty good fight scenes.

Kantō

Smash Champion
if there were all the anime/manga **** that is in the usa now like 6-7 years ago when i was into it, i would be ****ting my pants. ive realized when i grew older that the anime aimed in america is mostly lame/childish.
a few good anime/manga that are good even if your not into the whole thing IMO are:

Akira (the movie and the books are great)
cowboy bebop (mostly cuz of the music, the manga kinda sucked)
dare i say the original pokemon manga? lol

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
I'ld add Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann to the thread. It's an anime using a giant mecha theme (yes, I'm aware there are atleast 10 of those), but it is almost a parody on the theme, while still being respectable in its own right. The series combines hilarious and extremely over-the-top fighting with actually powerful and emotional scenes and messages, a (mostly good sound track, minus the annoying "Row Row, Fight the Powah" that pops up at times during the second half), good characters (and great fanservice). It doesn't take long to feel different from any other anime out there.

Cleo555

Smash Cadet
I definitely have to recommend soul eater! the artwork is very different and the storyline actually doesnt go too slowly. I would say the manga is better though cus the anime ended with its own made up ending. it is being dubbed right now actually. In fact, my picture is from smash eater which is a mix of soul eater and super smash bros =P

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
I definitely have to recommend soul eater! the artwork is very different and the storyline actually doesnt go too slowly. I would say the manga is better though cus the anime ended with its own made up ending. it is being dubbed right now actually. In fact, my picture is from smash eater which is a mix of soul eater and super smash bros =P
I'm surprised that Samurai Champloo is still not on that list.
Both of these. Step it up OP.

Top Bottom