• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General anime thread/Anime (and manga) New OP,Edits Coming Soon!

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
I'm going to finalize my nomination for Bokurano. Apparently the anime deviated quite a bit from the manga mid-story, but instead become much less gloomy. Only what I've heard, hadn't touched the manga myself.

But regardless, I really liked the series. Very introspective, and you can connect to each of the characters fairly easily. It's very serious, and at times, dismal in nature, but that's also what sets it apart from other series. It gets my recommendation.

Edit: Just realized that it's already in the big list. Whatever :)

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
GTO

I mentioned Gantz and Death Note but those are for people who really really don't like anime. GTO is my favorite anime with Love Hina as my favorite manga. If they made a direct show of Love Hina off the manga I think LH would be tied if not better than the GTO animated series.

Tryptomine

Smash Journeyman
I'm actually rather surprised not a single mention of Hellsing was made. I found it to be rather like Beserk, with less depravity, and would probably appeal to those who like that show. Its an extremely dark, bloody and violent show with a plot that is actually a lot better then any description would make it seem (Nazi Vampires!?). I am, of course, reffering to the manga and ongoing OVA series (which is a direct manga conversion), not the horrid 13 episode TV series. Not for everyone, but definately not what many would assume to be 'typical anime fare.' Though I do find the 'comedic moments' to be extremely cringe-inducing.

Also dunno about putting it on a list, but I enjoyed this season's Darker Than Black also. Its a somber, almost film noir-esque story with some good action and what feels like a dark twist on the X-Men superhero concept. Only complaint is the ending left things far too open.

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
FLCL is freaking amazing. It's really crazy and difficult to understand at first but it makes sense later on. Only 6 episodes, but it's pure awesome.

Watch it. =D

plasmawisp6633

Smash Journeyman
Also dunno about putting it on a list, but I enjoyed this season's Darker Than Black also. Its a somber, almost film noir-esque story with some good action and what feels like a dark twist on the X-Men superhero concept. Only complaint is the ending left things far too open.
I ditched Darker Than Black half way through because the storyline wasn't focusing on what I wanted it to; and I'm a patient person. I don't think an anime skeptic would appreciate Darker Than Black very much.

Asian Elephant

Smash Rookie
What kind of shows would you recommend to somebody who isn't into anime at all, and likes stuff that's as quirky as possible? Or as thought provoking as possible?

I'm not a big fan of action, adventure or romance, but I like stuff that makes me laugh or makes me think.

Sci-fi is good too, if it's good, hard sci-fi, rather than stuff like Star Trek or Star Wars. So I probably wouldn't like any of the mecha stuff on here. The topic creator says that the Ghost in the Shell show is intelligent and thought provoking, but from the rest of the summary it sounds more like an action/crime show with sci-fi elements. Can anybody who's seen it say one way or the other.

I've never been a comics person, but I suppose I'd be willing to try some manga if you people think it's good enough.

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Abra abra cadabra. I wanna reach out and grab ya!
If you want quirky, it doesn't get much weirder than FLCL. The fact that it's only six episodes long means you don't have to worry about getting lost in a large and overly complex story (though you will sill be lost, but for completely different reasons:laugh:).

My personal favorite anime is Paranoia Agent. It's incredibly thought provoking and leads a lasting impression on you. I got my friends into anime by having them watch this show. The show itself actually makes fun of anime, and satirizes the otaku lifestyle.

Check those two out and let me know what you think:)

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
What kind of shows would you recommend to somebody who isn't into anime at all, and likes stuff that's as quirky as possible? Or as thought provoking as possible?
Like demoncaterpie said, FLCL is good stuff. It's a kind of coming of age thing, and it's really strange, but also very well done.

You'd almost definitely enjoy Serial Experiments Lain. It's sci-fi and thought provoking, so it fits both your criteria.

Planetes might be thought provoking, but probably not in the way you mean. Even though it's science fiction, it's more about people than it is about the mysteries of the universe. It's really good, so you'd probably still like it, but it may not be quite what you're looking for.

Those are all good places to start if for someone with your taste. If you like those, I can recommend more.

Sci-fi is good too, if it's good, hard sci-fi, rather than stuff like Star Trek or Star Wars. So I probably wouldn't like any of the mecha stuff on here. The topic creator says that the Ghost in the Shell show is intelligent and thought provoking, but from the rest of the summary it sounds more like an action/crime show with sci-fi elements. Can anybody who's seen it say one way or the other.
GitS is definitely extremely thought provoking. It has quite a bit of action, but it also has a good bit of political content and a lot of philosophical concepts that are pure cyberpunk. If you've read Neuromancer or any of William Gibson's other works, it's kind of like that. I figure you might have, since you're a science fiction fan.

RMR

Smash Apprentice
Where is Hoshii no Kabii ? Its a Cute anime ! By some reason, I love Kodomos...

What anime would you highly recommed ? Something like a comedy would be very good

Death Note is one of the animes best done, The idiot (ME !) Highly Recommends it.

Btw, The list needs Hellsing in it.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
Where is Hoshii no Kabii ? Its a Cute anime ! By some reason, I love Kodomos...
That Kirby show isn't horrible, I suppose, but it's definitely not the kind of thing that I'd put on this list.

One of my favorite manga, One Piece, isn't on the list. Why? Because I figure that the people this topic is aimed at will have seen shows that are somewhat similar, and therefore I wouldn't recommend One Piece for most of them.

What anime would you highly recommed ? Something like a comedy would be very good
Azumanga Daioh and Yotsuba&! are both hilariously funny, in my opinion. I'd recommend those to anybody.

Death Note is one of the animes best done, The idiot (ME !) Highly Recommends it.
Well, I've already got Death Note on the list. If you're interested in a similar anime, try Monster.

Btw, The list needs Hellsing in it.
I've been hesitant to put most seinen action series on the list, simply because there's so much action anime on TV right now, so the people in this list's target group might not really be looking for an action show.

The one action series I do have on the list is Berserk, and it's the best one that I've ever seen or read.

As for Hellsing specifically, the original anime goes into a serious decline not to far into the series, so I wouldn't put it on anyway for that reason. The manga is quite good, but I didn't feel that it set itself apart enough for me to warrant its inclusion. Never mind that the plot itself would probably turn a lot of people off. I've heard good things about the new anime series, but I haven't seen it myself yet.

Philosophize

Smash Apprentice
What do you hardcore anime people think about Fullmetal Alchemist? That's fairly popular/mainstream anime, but I consider it better than Naruto...etc. I was also recommended Yu yu hakusho by someone. They said it's even good in English.

Also could someone provide me with a really good, BRIEF, anime? Like under 50 episodes? Preferably action, but anything philosophical or just interesting in general would be great. I wish the thread starter had posted lengths next to his recommendations...then I wouldn't have to ask this...

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
What do you hardcore anime people think about Fullmetal Alchemist? That's fairly popular/mainstream anime, but I consider it better than Naruto...etc. I was also recommended Yu yu hakusho by someone. They said it's even good in English.

Also could someone provide me with a really good, BRIEF, anime? Like under 50 episodes? Preferably action, but anything philosophical or just interesting in general would be great. I wish the thread starter had posted lengths next to his recommendations...then I wouldn't have to ask this...
This thread isn't for hardcore anime people, it's actually quite the opposite! I'm sure that hardcore anime fans love Full Metal Alchemist (it's an incredibly popular show), but it also has too many of the anime norms and cliches to be put on this list.

As for you anime, I'm just going to say Paranoia Agent again. It's only 13 episodes, and it's probably the most interesting and thought-provoking anime I've ever seen.

More people need to see Paranoia Agent!

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
What do you hardcore anime people think about Fullmetal Alchemist? That's fairly popular/mainstream anime, but I consider it better than Naruto...etc.
I really liked Fullmetal Alchemist until it really started deviating from the manga. Toward the end I thought it was pretty bad, with a constant barrage of unnecessary and stupid plot elements and a lot of deus ex machinas.

If you're looking for more FMA, I really recommend the manga. Towards the beginning I think it's about even in quality with the manga (and they have largely the same plot), but later on I think that the manga maintains its quality, while the quality of the anime falls sharply.

I was also recommended Yu yu hakusho by someone. They said it's even good in English.
I've probably read a good bit of the manga, and I'd classify Yu Yu Hakusho as a decent shounen series, along the lines of Naruto and others. It's not bad, but it's not all that great, either.

If you liked Fullmetal Alchemist, I'd really recommend a manga/anime series by the name of Kekkaishi. It hasn't really achieved prominence in the West yet, but it's really good. Like Fullmetal Alchemist, the protagonists have original and interesting abilities, and they don't get ridiculous "power ups" like in Bleach or Dragonball. Also like Fullmetal Alchemist, it focuses on a relatively small cast of characters, rather than constantly introducing new main-ish characters. It's one of my three favorite shounen manga right now.

The manga is available to buy in English, as well as scanlations, although the scanlations are currently behind the official translations. The anime is only available in English as fansubs, I think.

Also could someone provide me with a really good, BRIEF, anime? Like under 50 episodes? Preferably action, but anything philosophical or just interesting in general would be great.
Under 50 episodes isn't very brief, really. That's about four seasons, which is really quite a while.

If you're interested in a anime that has both action and philosophy, I'd really recommend Ghost in the Shell. It's really excels in both, and the animation is incredible too.

I mentioned Kekkaishi earlier, and you're already a fan of FMA, so the only other series I'd really recommend would be One Piece. If you've only seen the English version, don't be scarred off. That version just ruins the show. The Japanese anime is far superior, and the manga is simply amazing. It's an incredibly fun read.

Finally, Berserk is probably the best series I've ever read, and it's definitely action. However, it's extremely bloody and violent, probably more so than any other series I've read. If you can't tolerate that kind of stuff, don't bother with it.

I wish the thread starter had posted lengths next to his recommendations...then I wouldn't have to ask this...
You know, that's a really good idea, and something I should have done from the beginning. I'll probably add that information some time in the not-too-distant future.

Philosophize

Smash Apprentice
First, thanks a lot for your more than helpful response. I've been watching Bleach, but I got bored after the first arc ended and that Bounto junk started, so I stopped watching. Now I should have plenty to keep myself interested. :)

50 episodes is pretty brief to me >.>... Compared to DBZ which is like 300 episodes or something. It's almost intimidating to start watching a show that long.

...So I watched Paranoia Agent, pretty strange. Kind of had to force myself to keep watching until the end, though that wasn't hard considering it's length. It was pretty good, very confusing though.

RMR

Smash Apprentice
IS therea a anime with Some similarities with ATLA ? You know, Those stupid copyrights infringements don't let users put Avatar episodes there.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
How is Neon Genesis Evangelion with facial expressions in compared to most animes?

plasmawisp6633

Smash Journeyman
How is Neon Genesis Evangelion with facial expressions in compared to most animes?
Evangelion is really good in terms of emotion. Facial expressions are decent. I watched it more for the psychological aspects (and it's still my all-time favorite).

If you're looking for really good facial expressions, look more towards more recent animes, because the animation is naturally better.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I just meant non-anime faces, not the quality of it.

Aka none of that, even in moderation.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
IS therea a anime with Some similarities with ATLA ? You know, Those stupid copyrights infringements don't let users put Avatar episodes there.
There are lots of anime that share individual or multiple elements with Avatar, but I've yet to encounter one that mirrors all of Avatar's qualities.

I think Avatar is a rather unique show, at this point in time. It's designed to appeal to an American audience, not a Japanese one. That means that a lot of stuff is going to be different. The humor, the action, and the plot all vary greatly from the anime norm. It's also different from any other American cartoon I can think of, although I think it's indicative of things to come.

If you really want me to recommend some shows, I can, but none of them really has the same appeal that Avatar does.

I just meant non-anime faces, not the quality of it.

Aka none of that, even in moderation.
I don't remember NGE having any sort of that stuff. That stuff is generally found in humorous scenes, and NGE doesn't really have any of those, I think.

I don't know if you'll actually like it, but I don't think that you'll dislike it because of the facial expressions.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
Basilisk is a pretty good manga. it has nudity though.
it's a manga about two ninja clans that has been enemies for 400 years. but a truth has been sighn between the clans. these two people from the rival clans are in love >_>. but the rival clans dont want to call it truths. Ect. im not good at explaining stuff

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I just heard Neon Genesis Evangelion is really deep and really tragic, and I love tragedies, so I was hoping to check it out.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
I just heard Neon Genesis Evangelion is really deep and really tragic, and I love tragedies, so I was hoping to check it out.
Well, like I said in the first post in this topic, NGE is really a love it or hate it anime for most people. You seem like the type of person who might enjoy it, but I've shown it to a few people who I thought it might really appeal to and they couldn't stand it. I've also had people like it when I wouldn't have expected them to.

Anyway, NGE is deep, in a way. I'd say that it's much more psychologically deep than philosophically deep. The philosophy that's inserted into the show isn't really all that interesting, in my opinion, but the characters and their motivations are really deeply examined.

It does also fall prey to a few anime cliches, but I think that the positives generally make up for these. The animation also takes a dip about midway through the series, because the company funding the show disapproved of the violence in one of the episodes.

So, yeah, I'm not sure if you'd like NGE. I'd recommend you try it, though, because it's a show that really defies convention. I can't think of another show like it, anime or anything else. Whether you like it or not is a matter of personal preference.

For people other than Eor who like NGE, I'd definitely recommend FLCL. It deals with a lot of the same themes found in NGE, but in a totally different manner, and without any giant robot fights or half-***** religious symbolism. However, Eor wouldn't like it, because it's got exaggerated facial expressions.

I guess that's enough of my rambling.

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
Well, like I said in the first post in this topic, NGE is really a love it or hate it anime for most people. You seem like the type of person who might enjoy it, but I've shown it to a few people who I thought it might really appeal to and they couldn't stand it. I've also had people like it when I wouldn't have expected them to.

Anyway, NGE is deep, in a way. I'd say that it's much more psychologically deep than philosophically deep. The philosophy that's inserted into the show isn't really all that interesting, in my opinion, but the characters and their motivations are really deeply examined.

It does also fall prey to a few anime cliches, but I think that the positives generally make up for these. The animation also takes a dip about midway through the series, because the company funding the show disapproved of the violence in one of the episodes.

So, yeah, I'm not sure if you'd like NGE. I'd recommend you try it, though, because it's a show that really defies convention. I can't think of another show like it, anime or anything else. Whether you like it or not is a matter of personal preference.

For people other than Eor who like NGE, I'd definitely recommend FLCL. It deals with a lot of the same themes found in NGE, but in a totally different manner, and without any giant robot fights or half-***** religious symbolism. However, Eor wouldn't like it, because it's got exaggerated facial expressions.

I guess that's enough of my rambling.
Random Fact!

Avatar director Giancarlo Volpe also claims the staff "were all ordered to buy Fooly Cooly and watch every single episode of it."

TheSpoon

Smash Rookie
A couple of note worthy ones I've watched that aren't on the list that might make good additions are Gungrave and Initial D.

Initial D has great story elements (at least the first 3 stages) in the anime, with great action/racing scenes. Car enthusiasts (sp?) might enjoy. (I wasn't but I watched).

Gungrave had a pretty good story as well, nothing I had expected before I watched.

Tryptomine

Smash Journeyman
I dunno, I usually hate crazy faces like the one Eor posted also, but I absolutely loved FLCL. And not all of the expressions bother me.

(In case you haven't seen it, this is in fact a shot from FLCL.) For example, I hate the kind of faces like Haruko (the girl in red) has here, but don't mind and actually sometimes like the simplistic ones like on Naota (the boy in blue) shows here. Still, I don't recall FLCL having too many hideous contortions like Haruko's, and either way absolutely recommend the series to everyone to check out.

Plus its only six episodes long, so it's not like you're getting into anything big.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
She's holding a handkerchief in that pickure over the boy's head. -_-

FLCL is definitely the greatest thing I have ever seen. The pink haired girl is the only one in the whole series who makes over exaggereated emotions/movements like that (which irratated me too). Still, it just wouldn't be the same FLCL without her so I guess she's forgiven. Everyone else is good.

ledhead

Smash Apprentice
No Full Metal Alchemist.....I have been told by non-anime fans that they like FMA. It should make that list. It also doesn't help that it's my favorite series.

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
A couple of note worthy ones I've watched that aren't on the list that might make good additions are Gungrave and Initial D.

Initial D has great story elements (at least the first 3 stages) in the anime, with great action/racing scenes. Car enthusiasts (sp?) might enjoy. (I wasn't but I watched).

Gungrave had a pretty good story as well, nothing I had expected before I watched.
I haven't seen too much of Initial D, but judging from what I've heard about it, it almost fits the list. The focus is more on cars and racing than traditional anime cliches.

But we'll let the people who have actually seen the series judge that:laugh:

Navo

Smash Apprentice
I think that Highlander - The Search for Vengeance would fit the list.
It doesnt really have that out going anime style, so non-anime fans probbaly wouldnt mind it.
Same with Spirited Away and Afro Samurai (my favorite anime I've seen so far)
Theres a few others but they've either have been listed already, or i havent finished watching them yet.

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
I got a new one for ya guys!

Uzumaki

(Plot synopsis from Anime News Network): Kirei lives in a town that lately has odd occurrences, and each one somehow is connected to a spiral. Soon the spiral occurrences spread to infect even the bodies of people, which suddenly turns the everyday events in her life into chaos and horror.

Now, I know what you're thinking. Spirals? That sounds really lame! I thought the same thing too when I heard about this manga. But, I decided to bite the bullet and check it out. And you know what, it's one of the best mangas I've ever read.

If you like horror anything, than you owe it to yourself to check this out. This will really make your stomach turn. I can't look at spirals the same way again.

It's kind of hard to find, but if you look hard enough I'm sure you'll find something. The Borders I went to only had one copy of the first volume, and that's it (I'm not sure if they're are anymore out yet).

So yeah, everyone should check this manga out! It'll freak the ****e out of you!

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
I started watching Gurren Lagann since I have a lot of time over this break, and I must agree, it's got a lot of spunk. I spotted the twists way early on, though, so it took some of the fun away. Perhaps I've just seen too many of these to be surprised anymore... ?

Anyway, I also picked up Noein. It's quite deeply sci-fi, but you won't be able to tell that right away. Trying to give any sort of summary would be a spoiler, but I've really enjoyed it so far. It does get pretty in-depth in its reasoning (quantam theory, anyone?), so that may turn a few people away from it, but overall I would say it's fitting for this list. Although I still haven't finished it yet...

::FalcoFTW::

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the list. I'll prbly give a look into most of these anime, especially since i'm finding a lot of free time on my hands.

P.S. you should watch Fruits Basket. It's a hilarious anime.

Dinner

Smash Apprentice
FLCL
Genres: Surreal, Psychological, SciFi
Maturity Level: PG-13
Manga or Anime: Anime. The manga is nowhere near as good.
Story: I'm not really sure where to start. The story gets into gear when a guitar-wielding, pink haired girl arrives on her Vespa scooter, running over the main character and then, for no apparent reason, hitting him over the head with her guitar. And it only gets stranger from there. The anime is an explosion of weirdness and surrealism, which I personally think is great. You'll either love it for being so strange or you'll hate it for the same reason. There is no middle ground.
lol i stopped watching this after 10 mins for fear of insanity.

and yeah death note is neat.. any1 find the subbed 2 hr special? 2 months and still nothing :(

Gutts

Smash Cadet
Mushi-shi

Anyone ever heard of Mushi-shi? It's a mellow anime about a traveling medicine man. Great style, good animation, and an ok story. If you haven't seen it, I'd check it out.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
O_O im so gonna check out some of these animes

Anyway that list is meant for most viewers that don't watch lots of anime right?

How bout a list for people who do watch lots of anime?

I haven't been watching too much lately and need a really good anime to help me watch more :).

Im going to watch Monster i heard lots of good stuff :) any other advices??

Sorry if something like this was asked i just found this thread and didn't feel like looking through pages.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer

Sorry, I don't think either of those are shows that really fit what I'm looking for.

No Full Metal Alchemist.....I have been told by non-anime fans that they like FMA. It should make that list. It also doesn't help that it's my favorite series.
Full Metal Alchemist is very good shounen action/adventure, but I'm really not comfortable putting any shounen action shows on here.

And if I did put any FMA on here, it would definitely be the manga, not the anime. The plot of the anime simply falls apart during the last fourth of the series.

yuyu hakusho man that show is pwnage
No, for the same reason as FMA.

Battle Royale seriously need to be added to that list
I found the Battle Royale manga really unimpressive, and I don't think there's any anime.

So, sorry, but I'm not putting it on here.

I think that Highlander - The Search for Vengeance would fit the list.
It doesnt really have that out going anime style, so non-anime fans probbaly wouldnt mind it.
Alright, but is it good? I haven't watched it, so I don't know, but I find myself doubting that it would appeal to many people who weren't already Highlander fans.

Same with Spirited Away and Afro Samurai (my favorite anime I've seen so far)
Theres a few others but they've either have been listed already, or i havent finished watching them yet.
I've already got Spirited Away on the list under Miyazaki movies. I agree that it's excellent.

Afro Samurai, on the other hand, is a series I've heard about, but have never watched. I've got quite a queue built up, but it's on my list of things to watch. No idea when I'll get around to it, though.

I got a new one for ya guys!

Uzumaki

(Plot synopsis from Anime News Network): Kirei lives in a town that lately has odd occurrences, and each one somehow is connected to a spiral. Soon the spiral occurrences spread to infect even the bodies of people, which suddenly turns the everyday events in her life into chaos and horror.
I've been meaning to check this one out for quite a while. Thanks for reminding me about it. I'll read it, and then I'll consider it.

Anyway, I also picked up Noein. It's quite deeply sci-fi, but you won't be able to tell that right away. Trying to give any sort of summary would be a spoiler, but I've really enjoyed it so far. It does get pretty in-depth in its reasoning (quantam theory, anyone?), so that may turn a few people away from it, but overall I would say it's fitting for this list. Although I still haven't finished it yet...
****, another one I've been meaning to watch. I actually saw the first few episodes of this a while ago, and was impressed by it. Then I forgot about it.

I really ought to watch this one soon.

Anyone ever heard of Mushi-shi? It's a mellow anime about a traveling medicine man. Great style, good animation, and an ok story. If you haven't seen it, I'd check it out.
Oh, ****. I read the first volume of the manga, and was really impressed. I've heard very good things about the anime too, so I'll probably put both on there when I update it.

God, another one I need to watch/read.

O_O im so gonna check out some of these animes

Anyway that list is meant for most viewers that don't watch lots of anime right?

How bout a list for people who do watch lots of anime?
This thread will work just fine for either type of person, although it's definitely targeted at people who aren't really interested in the medium.

The problem with making a thread aimed at people who already like anime is that there are so many of them out there, and each person has vastly different taste. I tend to watch just about any genre, so I could make personal recommendations, but I definitely would have trouble creating a list of shows that would appeal to all (or even most) anime fans. If I did make such a list, most anime fans would probably have seen everything on it already.

EDIT: You know, I don't update this thread nearly enough. Expect an update to the list in the next week, sometime when it's not nearly one in the morning.

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer

I'll second Mushishi. It's episodic in nature, and it really does pull you in with the lot of fantasy elements. What really got me about it was how differently they put insubstantial and intangible things into a different perspective.

Edit: I also should mention that I finished Noein, and still recommend it (although things became a little sloppy towards the end...).

Edit 2: I'll also throw in a bid for Mononoke, if I haven't already. Not Mononoke-hime, mind you, just simply Mononoke. Some mythology tied in to a bit of mystery and unique artstyle.

Top Bottom