• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General anime thread/Anime (and manga) New OP,Edits Coming Soon!

greenlink

Smash Apprentice
Code Geass is a amazing anime. Its drawn well and has a superb plot (plus the last two episodes will be an hour and a half each) If your more into everyday life anime then i'd suggest chobits just because chii (a main charecter) is amazingly cool.
edit: deathnote and serial experiment lain ftw :)

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Wow, just finished Monster. Amazing and even a little bit sad. I liked how the show killed off so many characters at whim. Cool people like
Grimm
died, but so did a lot of prats too. Good stuff, especially the picture books.

Edit: Paranoia Agent=lame

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
basilisk is another anime i really like. Its filled with lots of action and also has a strong emphasis on the romance element. oh yah it also has ninjas which is a plus. in some ways it reminds me of ninja scroll, which is another good anime. ( the movie at least. i didn't really get into the anime that much)
Basilisk isn't really an anime I could recommend to anybody who wasn't in the mood for straight action. Sure, it's got romance, but I found the characters so bland and generally unlikable that I didn't enjoy that aspect of it at all.

The action, on the other hand, is quite good. Unfortunately, that and the animation are really the only things I can compliment.

Me and my friends rented Akira one day and it got us hooked on anime.
I've read the manga, and that was excellent. I've heard good things about the anime, but I've never seen it. I might consider putting both on this list, after I've watched the anime.

the manga Dragon Hunters was a great series, you guys should check it out
I read the first volume, just now.

I thought it was below mediocre shounen, actually. Definitely not something I'd put on this list.

Wow, just finished Monster. Amazing and even a little bit sad. I liked how the show killed off so many characters at whim. Cool people like
Grimm
Monster is simply amazing. I read the manga a while ago, but I think I'm probably going to watch the anime soon. It looks good enough that I'll enjoy it, even though I remember the general plot.

Edit: Does Paranoia Agent only have 13 episodes?
Yeah.

Code Geass is a amazing anime. Its drawn well and has a superb plot (plus the last two episodes will be an hour and a half each) If your more into everyday life anime then i'd suggest chobits just because chii (a main charecter) is amazingly cool.
edit: deathnote and serial experiment lain ftw :)
Code Geass is an anime I enjoy a lot, but it's not really something I'd recommend to people who didn't like anime. Well, not without actually knowing the person, and being familiar with their tastes.

Chobits is a rather well done romance, but it has way too many stereotypical anime elements for me to recommend it to someone who dislikes anime in general. It's really a sort of very basic wish fulfillment: average guy finds stereotypical submissive and innocent Japanese female, and proceeds to fall in love with said girl.

That said, it's the best "wish fulfillment" romance series I've ever seen, but it still adheres fairly closely to a very basic formula.

And I absolutely agree with you on Death Note and SEL. Those are two of my favorite anime series.

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Abra abra cadabra. I wanna reach out and grab ya!
Grimm

Edit: Does Paranoia Agent only have 13 episodes?
Edit: Bummer. Site I was hoping to use didn't work. Anyone have the place to watch Paranoia Agent without downloading?
I think they're all on youtube.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Ugh, Paranoia Agent was pretty bad, both US version and Japanese. I stopped watching on the 6th episode. I dont know if the show was trying to be funny or mysterious/dramatic, but I hated it. Every single one of the characters (except that fat kid
who got owned with a bat
) annoyed me. I had really high hopes for this show too.

Oh, and I will never forgive you, Mediocre, for recommending Oran High School. Ever. :mad: :mad: :mad: jk

Checking out the Berserk manga right now.... what the heck? >_>

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
Ugh, Paranoia Agent was pretty bad, both US version and Japanese. I stopped watching on the 6th episode. I dont know if the show was trying to be funny or mysterious/dramatic, but I hated it. Every single one of the characters (except that fat kid
who got owned with a bat
) annoyed me. I had really high hopes for this show too.
Really? I enjoyed it quite a bit, obviously. I'm really surprised you disliked it as much as you did.

Oh, and I will never forgive you, Mediocre, for recommending Oran High School. Ever. :mad: :mad: :mad: jk
Ouran High School Host Club is good, but you've got to like that kind of thing.

If you dislike that kind of comedy, you probably won't enjoy it much.

Checking out the Berserk manga right now.... what the heck? >_>
Don't be scared away. The first time I tried reading Berserk, it just seemed like completely pointless violence and boring characters. I think I gave up reading somewhere in the third volume.

I'm really glad I gave it another shot, because it's now my favorite manga series, ever. It's simply amazing. Force yourself through the first three or four volumes if you have to. The violence doesn't diminish after that, but it no longer seems gratuitous, and it's coupled with amazing characters and an absolutely epic plot.

Lesheik

Smash Lord
Family
Spirited Away
Howls Moving Castle
Princess Mononoke

Teens
Akira
Trigun
Great Teacher Onizuka
Blood+

Children
DragonBall
DragonBall GT
Digimon
Pokemon

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Ouran High School Host Club is good, but you've got to like that kind of thing.

If you dislike that kind of comedy, you probably won't enjoy it much.
Ouran High School Host Club is the best! Still, it requires an open-mind. XD

I personally would recommend Trigun. It may still be an anime, but it has two very interesting philosophies contradicting. (Pacifism, and the belief that violence is necessary at sometimes, which I couldn't find a word for. XD)

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I gave up on Ouran High School Host Club after the first three seconds of the theme song, though the only reason i even looked for an episode was because of what Common said

Only saw an episode of Monster, thought it was pretty good. I'll watch more tomorrow

bluezaft

The True Zaft
Cowboy Bebop and Trigun are pretty much the most popular animes among non-anime fans, in my experience. I can't tell you how many people I know like one or both of those and no other anime. Once during class back in high school someone mentioned Trigun and about 7 or 8 people piped in saying "I don't like anime, but I love Trigun." So it's pretty silly for Trigun not to be on the list. And Cowboy Bebop should be, like, in all caps.

Also, nobody in Monster has a pointy nose. Just sayin'.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Which Guyver are you talking about? The classic Guyver was a short and rather underwhelming series. The newer Guyver from '05 was a retelling that filled in a lot more of the story, but production values were low.

Either way, not an ideal anime to bring somebody onboard with.
Lol ignore him. He thinks people should play 200% damage ratio. Apparently thats how the "pros" play in ssb64. T_T

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
Cowboy Bebop and Trigun are pretty much the most popular animes among non-anime fans, in my experience. I can't tell you how many people I know like one or both of those and no other anime. Once during class back in high school someone mentioned Trigun and about 7 or 8 people piped in saying "I don't like anime, but I love Trigun." So it's pretty silly for Trigun not to be on the list. And Cowboy Bebop should be, like, in all caps.

Also, nobody in Monster has a pointy nose. Just sayin'.
They're lying to themselves if they like those series and claim they don't like anime. Those are just the typical style of series, action with mild story and some rather light "messages" beneath them. It's simply their reaction to claim that they "don't like anime" so they can attempt to relate with others without appearing odd.

This thread, on the other hand, is trying to point out animes that don't fit such a typical mould. "People who don't like anime" is directed toward those that only know of the widely commercialized portrayal of animes. The ones mentioned here, aside from the fact they are animated and originate in Japan, do not resemble such dime-a-dozen animes in the least, and far outdo them in most every aspect. Hence, the appeal is for people who dislike the typical anime styles, but are still looking for something great to watch.

------

Finally, giving a mention to Fantastic Children. Same animation style as Now and Then, Here and There (very simple character designs with great backgrounds). Just finished it, and though I won't go as far as to say it was excellent, it was at least great.

plasmawisp6633

Smash Journeyman
They're lying to themselves if they like those series and claim they don't like anime. Those are just the typical style of series, action with mild story and some rather light "messages" beneath them. It's simply their reaction to claim that they "don't like anime" so they can attempt to relate with others without appearing odd.

This thread, on the other hand, is trying to point out animes that don't fit such a typical mould. "People who don't like anime" is directed toward those that only know of the widely commercialized portrayal of animes. The ones mentioned here, aside from the fact they are animated and originate in Japan, do not resemble such dime-a-dozen animes in the least, and far outdo them in most every aspect. Hence, the appeal is for people who dislike the typical anime styles, but are still looking for something great to watch.
That's a great point. But, keep in mind that animes that would really appeal to people who "dislike anime", are not all shown on TV. In the eyes of the "anime disliking" society, they consider anime to be Pokemon, Yu-gi-oh, and Hamtaro. Most people turn a blind eye to things like Cowboy Bebop or Trigun (and I did too at first) because they consider it all to be the same like the ignorant ****s they are.

The real juicy stuff for people to really try is the stuff that's not on TV, like Gantz and Elfen Lied. They can catch any horny or violence loving teenager's attention. And, Elfen Lied (but not Gantz) sends a heavy message. Unfortunately, though, those animes will almost never be on regular cable TV. It's the duty of the anime watchers to spread the good shows to the disbelievers.

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
Gantz was just as thought-provoking a series as Elfen Lied, although not in all the same areas.

But even so, you're generalizing anime too much. While Elfen Lied and Gantz certainly have their mature elements, they're still not for everybody, nor should they be considered the definitive examples for go-to series. They appeal to the right crowd, but at the same time, they are an extreme for people seeking more mild or realistic series. In that way, they can also be turn-offs. Having people think that all anime revolve around action themes is just another way to turn people away from it. Shows like Hamtaro and Pokemon may have something to do with the general shying away from anime, but they can't be considered the entire reason. Some people do see shows like Cowboy Bebop, and it simply doesn't appeal to their tastes, also pushing them away.

Which is why this thread features a nice variety. A little something for everybody depending on their particular tastes.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
I was browsing through the thread since I just laid eye upon it and noticed from what I saw no one has recommended Fist of the North Star. That is actually in my opinion a very great anime. Future combatants clash in a World War that consists of Action, Adventure, drama, and Martial Arts. It would undoubtfully go into the Teen section of the lists.
Plot

In the year 199X, there happened to be a nuclear war around the earth. Due to all of the exposions and whatnot, Water began to evaporate, and all of the trees and grass were dying swiftly. The whole earth's civilization was thrown away, while people desperately fought to bring about fresh non polluted water and food. Kenshiro, the Protagonist happens to be the only one to happen to know the art of Hokuto Shinken, a lost art of from about 2,000 years ago. The art is an assassination style that is only brought down from a master to a chosen pupil. Kenshiro uses this technique to protect innocent survivors from gangs that have a greed to steal.

Okay that is a quick summary, I am also sorry if this anime has already been brought up. I think it is a really great movie that is definitely worth the buy..recall that it lies in the Teen area. If anyone else has seen this, they will agree(hopefull)with me that it is a great movie.

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
Hokuto no Ken probably isn't best fit for this list... while it does have the elements you mentioned, there's not really much that makes it fantastic. It's a classic in that it's old, but it'd be very difficult to hook audiences on it nowadays due to those limits in animation. 109 episodes of the same bodily explosions gets very old after a while.

SenorPresidente

Smash Ace
Beck is a grate anime if you like any type of rock. A kid who has no taste in music start to learn how to play a guitar and joins a band. A friend who doesn't like anime enjoys this one cause it doesn't have loads of blood, demons and crazy hair styles. There really is an anime for everyone.

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Abra abra cadabra. I wanna reach out and grab ya!
Beck is a grate anime if you like any type of rock. A kid who has no taste in music start to learn how to play a guitar and joins a band. A friend who doesn't like anime enjoys this one cause it doesn't have loads of blood, demons and crazy hair styles. There really is an anime for everyone.
I got a Beck guitar pick from Anime Expo. I use it all the time when I'm playing guitar:)

Never saw the anime though. I guess I should check it out.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Definite no to Trigun being on the list. I couldn't stand more then ten minutes.

I watched the first episode of Monster and enjoyed it, then forgot about it. I'll start to watch it today.

and bump

plasmawisp6633

Smash Journeyman
Definite no to Trigun being on the list. I couldn't stand more then ten minutes.

I watched the first episode of Monster and enjoyed it, then forgot about it. I'll start to watch it today.

and bump
I kinda agree. I didn't enjoy Trigun as much as I thought I would.

It's funny you bring up Monster, because I'm up to episode 8. It's pretty suspenseful.

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
I probably will sticky this after a while. Meaning, whenever Mediocre sees fit to edit all the good recommendations into the first post.

stranga

Smash Journeyman
Anime I would recommend would have to be Cromartie high school, Noir, Gankutsuou the count of monte cristo, and samurai champloo

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I think most of you are going about this wrong. This isn't a "shining example of anime" thread, it's meant for anime that is barely anime, or at least is done in a way that makes it break a mold. Death Note and Monster are both examples of that, they're good, and besides the way things are drawn, they're barely anime. Things like Trigun are the exact same as the rest of anime, and while I'm sure for people who like the genre they're amazing, to those of us like me who don't, we can't stand it.

Of everyone I know (and none of my friends like anime, so I'm pretty well rehearsed in this), the main problem people have with Anime is the style in which emotions and general movement is shown. Take Trigun for example. I really liked the beginning of it. I hated the bar scene, where the two girls walked in and everyone simultaniously fell off their chair and then did the most stereotypical "WAAAH" anime expression possible. And then during the action scene, I just had to stop. The way Vash expressed his emotion, and the crab-walk he did just killed it. Another example is non-kira Misa, or everyone in Elfen Lied. It's that type of stuff that makes most people not like Anime. So please keep that in mind when you suggest stuff, because I really did enjoy Death Note and what I've watched of Monster, and I'd like to find more shows like that.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
I probably will sticky this after a while. Meaning, whenever Mediocre sees fit to edit all the good recommendations into the first post.
Yah, did that. I also put in links to some websites that people will probably want to check out if any of these series interests them.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
Gurren Lagan's still not on there. Although Claymore is listed twice which kinda makes up for it. Hmmm.
You're right, Claymore is listed twice, along with Crayon Shin-chan. I corrected both of those.

But Gurren Lagann was on there before I made that last edit. The entry's kind of small, though, because the plot summary from Anime News Network isn't very long, so you might have missed it.

Eventually, I'm planning to flesh out a lot of those entries in the "Other Recommendations" category. Right now it's more of a to-do list for me than anything that might be helpful to anybody who reads this topic.

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
Elfen Lied has its moments, although its a bit extreme in several categories. Might actually turn away a lot of people, rather than allow them to enjoy it. I will agree that it's a good series though.

Reioumu

Smash Lord
Gurren Lagann >>>>

I'm glad it's on there, but the description doesn't have the word "GAR" on there once. No justice at all.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Could someone explain to me just exactly what the heck happened at the end of Ergo Proxy? I was following the plot just fine until the final two episodes.

Why were there two Proxy 1's? I thought Vincent was the orginal who whiped out his own memory, but where did the second one come from? Is it just another Proxy disguising himself?

Who is Monad?
I kind of though it was Vince's Proxy girlfriend before his memory was erased. Then she was killed when she got jealous of Real. :/

What was the Real clone? How did it suddenly become a Proxy? Was it spliced with some of Proxy13's/Monad's DNA?

What did Vince mean at the very end when he called himself the Emisarry of Death? He seemed to want to help the humans, but that last scene gave me the impression he was going to kill them all. :p

Ergo Proxy was a pretty good series. Not a favorite, but good none the less.
And Cowboy Bebop rules. <3

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
No Elfen lied for us, I watched it and thought it was terrible.

Again, read my post above for what to suggest

Commonyoshi can be scratched out for actually liking anime :)

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
I dislike Naruto. Isn't that enough?

Oh, and PM me that AIM site again. Was it nebo or something like that?

Edit: Elfen Lied is indeed lame.

Top Bottom