• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General anime thread/Anime (and manga) New OP,Edits Coming Soon!

Gdorfsmash

Smash Cadet
I may have skipped over but how can there be no Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, this is one of the best I've seen.:chuckle:
Should I start the Haruhiism?:psycho:

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
I think some just pure action movie-esque kind of animes would be good for people that don't like anime but like that sort of thing. What comes to mind old school is Ninja Scroll, and new school would have to be Afro Samurai. Both have some seriously messed up things going on, but the sheer coolness of the action makes you want to keep going.

Afro Samurai is pretty much a movie in length, although it has four or five episodes to it... but for people that don't like anime, all but the last one just absolutely rock, making your every action fantasy come true, with evil robot doubles toting lazer guns and rocket feet, bullets getting sliced in half with samurai swords, and a fight with your old childhood friend who is always crying with one eye and wears an oversized teddy bear mask as he attempts to seek revenge for having been wronged those many years ago. It's not unique in its formula, but the execution is fantastic. Ninja Scroll is pretty much the same thing, the better of the two, though. It was the original modern badass action anime-- the fights are just awesome as Jubei fights through a series of impossible, specialized boss-like badguys, and the story is actually really good as well.

For people that like Cowboy Beebop, I would recommend also Samurai Champloo... it's not a unique anime, but it has a really cool hip-hop style to it, combining old Japan with elements of hiphop culture. Plus, the opening sequence song is the coolest opening song of any anime, besides Serial Experiments Lain. Either of those two shows pretty much force you to watch the opening credits every single time because those songs are just that good. The only problem with Samurai Champloo is that it might be semi-shounen (?) like, but it's funny, has action and is just a fun show to watch for people that tend not to like anime. It also doesn't hurt that it actually has a decent ending.

If people want to TOTALLY break out of the mold, I suggest Perfect Blue and Paprika. But only if you want to get your mind completely blown, because that *will* happen. I can't explain them, (if you see them you'll understand), but they are these psychological thrillers that are unlike anything else I've seen in anime, period. Worth checking out, but you have to like that sort of thing, and they are dark in nature. Definitely for mature audiences and those who want something different.

Let me know what y'all think, this is just my opinion, but I think these are worthy additions to the list, with the exception of the last two mature ones.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I've seen some of Ninja Scrolls, or at least the part where that stone guy puts a breast in his mouth. I have no idea what to make of it.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Ninja Scroll is about stereotypical as you can get, however, it's stereotypic in that 80's anime style, so it may actually be fresh to some people here. Who knows. It starts strong and ends weak (I don't even remember the ending) but it's short enough and worth checking out once.

If anyone's played Samurai Shodown 2, pay attention to the little monk character Dakuan. He may look familiar. ;)

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
I may have skipped over but how can there be no Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, this is one of the best I've seen.:chuckle:
Should I start the Haruhiism?:psycho:
Haruhi uses tons of anime cliches. You might say it's making fun of anime conventions, but I've found most people who hate the conventions of anime don't care to see them included even in a parody. However, the Phoenix Wright-eqsque episode(s?) kick ***.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Berserk's the best anime ever. first 25 eps of Death Note are flawless, but the last 12 are a godawful mess that nearly ruined the entire show. the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is the most entertaining anime i've ever seen, pure fun the entire time.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
I recently ran into Le Chevalier D'Eon, and I think it definitely fits the bill here. It has a much different style of animation than most animes, I like the pacing quite a bit, it has excellent fight scenes and even a pretty cool intro.

I don't know... I think Haruhi might deserve a spot, if only because the narrator is sarcastic as hell and rips on pretty much everything. Everyone loves sarcasm.

plasmawisp6633

Smash Journeyman
I recently ran into Le Chevalier D'Eon, and I think it definitely fits the bill here. It has a much different style of animation than most animes, I like the pacing quite a bit, it has excellent fight scenes and even a pretty cool intro.

I don't know... I think Haruhi might deserve a spot, if only because the narrator is sarcastic as hell and rips on pretty much everything. Everyone loves sarcasm.
Funny you mention Le Chevalier D'Eon, because it just won the title of Anime of the Year in Anime Insider magazine. Last year's anime of the year was Gankutsuou, and still one of my favorites. I might have to check out Le Chevalier D'Eon.

I'm starting the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya soon. I can't wait, it's got lots of great reviews.

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
I'd definitely have to recommend The Slayers. First two season were good, but the third season kind of dragged on with filler episodes. Luckily it's only three seasons so it didn't ever become stagnant.

Athos

Smash Cadet
I disagree with all the people who said that Trigun shouldn't be on the list. Why? Trigun was the show that got me into Anime. It's a great story that doesn't overstay its welcome, lasting just 26 episodes. I found Vash to be a excellent as well as deep character who was simply a joy to watch. Sure there are a lot of quirky yet humorous bits, but there is a deep story beneath Vash's smile. To the people who didn't like it; By any chance, were you watching the english dub? The english dub is terrible, it destroys all the nuances the Japanese voice actors had. Sure, maybe the show is a little dated, but your not going to find a more enjoyable Anime out there.

But if you're looking for an Anime that transcends the genre and reinvents itself, it doesn't get any better than Cowboy Bebop. This show is truly art, everything about it screams style and grace. Non-anime fans can easily take a liking to this because to story isn't linear. Each episode can be watched individually without seeing previous episodes. If this sounds like a turn off to you, it's not. Each episode is rich, vivid, and full of life thanks to amazingly well developed characters. Although its an unusual comparison, I will say this. If you liked Pulp Fiction, you will like this show.

Finally I recommend Full Metal Alchemist to the teenager who is looking for a more adult, yet enjoyable show. FMA starts out as a journeyman tale about two brothers, but it quickly becomes more than that. Soon issues such as racism, religion, politics, and morality weave their way into the story. There will be blood, but there will also be laughs. A great show for the beginner simply thanks to its high quality.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
i need to check out Cowboy Bebop. i have seen 3 eps before and like them a lot. the show excels in style and it's basically a futuristic western. however, you people all must check out BERSERK. if you want to see the greatest story every told watch Berserk.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
props to tmw_redcell for featuring gurren lagann on page 1

it's by far my favorite anime. talk about epic.

the anime is already complete, but the manga is 3 chapters in... it's not too bad.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Is Berserk really that good? Just from the "Abridged Versions" on Youtube, it looks like the most homo-erotic series I've seen since Record of Lodoss Wars.

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
Berserk really is good. It's only homoerotic because to the untrained eye, it's actually just really manly.

Also, I haven't seen the abridged version but I'm pretty sure the official outtakes are better. You can probably still find those on Youtube, there was like forty minutes worth of them. Though it's better to watch them after the series as there's megaspoilers.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
This is really better as a list of just plain freaking awesome anime/manga than of Manga/anime that people who normally don't watch it would like. Seriously, FLCL? Neon Genesis Evangelion? Berserk? You've got crazy randomness, mind**** central, and blatant homosexuality(Anyone who doesn't think Griffith is gay for Guts is blind and a **** liar)

They're all beautiful anime though, my personal favorite is Monster, just a brilliant psychological thriller. You should add Hajime no Ippo and Claymore to the top list, at least, in my opinion.

Take the TV Links link down already, it's long gone.

EDIT: I personally dislike Miyazaki stuff though.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Is Berserk really that good? Just from the "Abridged Versions" on Youtube, it looks like the most homo-erotic series I've seen since Record of Lodoss Wars.
YOU FOOL. there will be (and have already been) MASSIVE SPOILERS to the story of Berkserk. DO NOT watch the ending of the abridged series until you have seen the entire show.

listen, just listen, i despise anime i really do. i hate all the mannerisms and horrific plots of 90 percent of the anime out there. but then something happened. my friend (who basically acts as my filter for anime cause he recommends only the great stuff) forced me to watch berserk a little over a year ago. now heres the interesting thing: at the time i hadnt seen any anime since dbz back when i was way younger and i was very skeptical. in fact i hated most of the earlier eps of berserk. but by ep 14 i was hooked and in love with every character in the show. and let me tell you something, if you are intelligent enough to watch that far, the show becomes an epic amazement and delivers the single greatest and powerful ending i have ever seen. its so great that i started reading the manga (youll see why once you finish the show) and its even better than the show.

it gets my FULL RECOMMENDATION.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
All right then, I'll check out the Berserk manga. I hope it's as good as everyone's been saying.

Flipstar

Smash Journeyman
i'm surprised no one has mentioned hunter x hunter yet, although i haven't seen many animes, of the one's i have seen, hunter x hunter is my clear cut favorite

Tsukuyomi

Smash Journeyman
I'm way more surprise by the lack of any anime by Kyoto Animation...

Tsukuyomi's Recommendation:

KyoAni Anime:
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (Still is one of the best anime out there...)
Air (Bring tissues...)
Kanon 2006 (Be sure its the 2006 version... The other version really sucks...)
Lucky Star (Look siggy below... Biggest favorite, though person who is a decent otaku can only understand this anime...)
Clannad (Newest series that recently started... Probably should wait a couple months before they actually finish it...)

Other Anime:
Sayanora Zetsubou Sensei (So Long, Mr. Despair is a decently funny anime with its set of uniqueness...)
School Days (Like sex and drama??? Anime for you... Don't worry, its not hentai...)
Code Geass (A bit like Death Note, a fight to see who is right and who is just...)

DH_Ninja

Smash Ace
BERSERK is by far my favorite Anime and I don't have too many, if you get it on dvd, see the outtakes for sure, The ending didn't make any sense though, Manga is so much better i heard and explains so much more. I heard hellsing is really good, havn't seen it though., surprised i didn't see it on the list, also theres Trinity blood and trigun, there good. I don't watch too much anime, but i'd recommend them.

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Abra abra cadabra. I wanna reach out and grab ya!
i'm surprised no one has mentioned hunter x hunter yet, although i haven't seen many animes, of the one's i have seen, hunter x hunter is my clear cut favorite
While this is a good anime, it really doesn't fit the list. It has way too many anime cliches and stereotypes (strong yet clueless hero, etc.).

For fans of that stuff though, I'd probably recommend Yuyu Hakusho first. It's a lot better, and it's written by the same guy.

skins2153

Smash Cadet
Berserk...

Berserk is fantastic. Combined, the anime and the manga tell the greatest story ever told (imo). The story isnt finished yet. So far Griffith is BI, not a homo. Everyone should watch/read it. Epic is about the only word that i can think of which describes both the characters, story, and setting. Youll love it and become an addict, waiting weeks for chapters to get released....once you start on the anime, and then lose yourself in the manga (and i hate manga).

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Wow, I just finished reading Volume 14 of Berserk, and I gotta say you all were right, it is pretty epic. My question is, is it worth reading beyond that, or is it like Death Note in that it really goes downhill beyond the middle of the series?

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Wow, I just finished reading Volume 14 of Berserk, and I gotta say you all were right, it is pretty epic. My question is, is it worth reading beyond that, or is it like Death Note in that it really goes downhill beyond the middle of the series?
no. the story of berserk extends further and further into greatness as you progess in the manga. my god you haven't even hit the berserker armor yet in volume 26 :p, and skins and i agree it is the climax of the story thus far (since its currently on volume 33 or 34 and still being written)

Lixivium

Smash Champion
I have to thank Smashboards for making some good recommendations; "Death Note" and "Berserk" were two series I probably wouldn't have started reading because I don't really like their art styles. "Death Note", especially, since it's by the same artist that did "Blue Dragon Ral Grad", which was so thoroughly mediocre.

"Claymore", however, is one series that I can't do. No matter how good the story might be, I can't keep staring at those giant sloping foreheads.

Blue_Kirby

Smash Rookie
Such a good list of anime and manga mentioned in here though I am thouroughly shocked that nobody had mentioned Eureka Seven! I think it's definately on the list for best animes to come out in this decade. It has a lot of fresh and original characters. Although it does revolve arround mechs they play a much smaller role then they normally do in it's similar bretheren.

I also agree with you on Negima Demoncatpie I think it's the best of Akamatsu's work however I do have to say that it is rather niche and is probably not the best way to introduce manga to someone and I would also say the manga is definately way to go both anime's kinda deviate due to the fact that Ken is still writing.

The other anime/manga that I do suggest even though it does follow the Shonen format rather easily is One Piece I find that it's definately one of the best of that genre if due to Oda's style, humor and the interesting and lovable characters bring a lot of heart to the series.

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
Just thought I'd throw a quick pitch for Dennou Coil.

The story takes place in a near future, where what we could think of as the internet has extended onto the real, tangible world, and can be viewed with cyber glasses. That description may not do it justice, but it's quite a fantastic concept. The story itself begins very lighthearted and humorous, following the various ventures of some children to better acquant you with the world they live in. As it develops, however, it gets to be quite serious, and somewhat complicated. I guess I also have to give it some respect for having plot twists that I couldn't see coming... something that rarely happens anymore.

So yeah, check it out if you get a chance. I showed it to some non-anime people at my college, and they loved it.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Just thought I'd throw a quick pitch for Dennou Coil.

The story takes place in a near future, where what we could think of as the internet has extended onto the real, tangible world, and can be viewed with cyber glasses. That description may not do it justice, but it's quite a fantastic concept. The story itself begins very lighthearted and humorous, following the various ventures of some children to better acquant you with the world they live in. As it develops, however, it gets to be quite serious, and somewhat complicated. I guess I also have to give it some respect for having plot twists that I couldn't see coming... something that rarely happens anymore.

So yeah, check it out if you get a chance. I showed it to some non-anime people at my college, and they loved it.
Death Note is a first rate psychological thriller with more plot twists (great ones at that) than any show i have ever seen. thats true of the first 25 eps, the last 12 are godawful but i guess you'd have to see them. nevertheless, those first 25 eps are so amazing that it ranks Death Note at the top.

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
Death Note is a first rate psychological thriller with more plot twists (great ones at that) than any show i have ever seen. thats true of the first 25 eps, the last 12 are godawful but i guess you'd have to see them. nevertheless, those first 25 eps are so amazing that it ranks Death Note at the top.
I finished Death Note some time ago. I'm assuming you wrote that in response to "plot twists that I couldn't see coming". Even with Death Note, I could predict the main twists, just not the exact means to reach those ends.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
I finished Death Note some time ago. I'm assuming you wrote that in response to "plot twists that I couldn't see coming". Even with Death Note, I could predict the main twists, just not the exact means to reach those ends.
lol, ok then check out Berserk. It's the best anime i've ever seen, and NO ONE sees that twist at the end coming.

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
You may want to play the recommendation game with somebody else :Þ
The reason I can read into things so well is because I've seen so many... It would take a lot of searching to find a good series that I haven't at least dabbled in.

*Maybe spoiler but not really*
And the ending to Berserk can't really be called a twist... you know the end result from episode 1, and beyond that you just see all the events leading up to it.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Trust me, Berserk is like nothing you will ever see. Please, please, please watch it. It is the show that got me into anime and I really do despise the majority of anime. This one is different. It doesn't matter if you've seen every anime ever made, you have never come across anything quite like it.

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
I don't think Death Note or Berserk were good because of their "twists," really. Well, Death Note was good because it was full of twists, but I think anyone advertising the show with a single twist in mind isn't really doing it justice. Although Berserk probably has one of the best OMGWTF endings out of all the stories I've read/seen/heard.

Another cool anime for non-anime fans is Bartender, it's a really unique series. Also, you become classy just by listening to the soundtrack.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
I don't think Death Note or Berserk were good because of their "twists," really. Well, Death Note was good because it was full of twists, but I think anyone advertising the show with a single twist in mind isn't really doing it justice. Although Berserk probably has one of the best OMGWTF endings out of all the stories I've read/seen/heard.

Another cool anime for non-anime fans is Bartender, it's a really unique series. Also, you become classy just by listening to the soundtrack.
You are quite right about that lol. If you did enjoy the show, read the manga. It explains everything the show did not and obviously continues the story. I find it greater than the show (and that's saying a lot). Also, check out The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya if you haven't already. It's by far the most entertaining anime i've ever seen.

Top Bottom