• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganondorf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I don't know about you guys, but I kind of think that Ganondorf should revert back to his Ocarina of Time incarnation. Just imagine OoT Ganondorf in HD.
Would be pretty awesome, but I'd imagine he'd get a unique new appearance to fit either Skyward Sword's style, or a whole new one based on the next Zelda game.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I've said it before, but OoT's Ganondorf really looks like a bunch of exaggerated racial stereotypes thrown together with a receding hairline. More worthy of "King of Thieves" then "Wielder of the Triforce of Power".

I really like his Twilight Princess look... sure, not the way it's portrayed in Brawl per se, but I do like the design a lot.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
I've said it before, but OoT's Ganondorf really looks like a bunch of exaggerated racial stereotypes thrown together with a receding hairline. More worthy of "King of Thieves" then "Wielder of the Triforce of Power".

I really like his Twilight Princess look... sure, not the way it's portrayed in Brawl per se, but I do like the design a lot.
Yeah I marginally prefer the Twilght look in the face. Bit more badass with the beard and prouder expression.

However I don't like Brawls rendition of his body from this model.
His thighs are too thick or something and it makes his legs look short and stocky. Not to mention the way he stands and runs looks ********.

I think you might be looking a bit too closely if you're seeing racial stereotypes in the Ocarina model.

While we're talking about G'dorf models I might as well chuck in this interesting rendition:

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Yeah I marginally prefer the Twilght look in the face. Bit more badass with the beard and prouder expression.

His thighs are too thick or something and it makes his legs look short and stocky. Not to mention the way he stands and runs looks ********.

I think you might be looking a bit too closely if you're seeing racial stereotypes in the Ocarina model.

While we're talking about G'dorf models I might as well chuck in this interesting rendition:

Huh... yeah, I guess I mostly just like his TP design's head. His body definitely is not the best design... way too stocky. But I like the word you used for his face, "proud". I like the depiction of him as arrogant, proud, ambitious, and powerful.

That picture is really, really cool.

I'm surprised you don't really see the racist thing, though... I mean, look at that impossibly long and crooked nose. Combine that with the original symbol for the desert-dwelling Gerudo...

Everyone knows the Gerudo are partly inspired by an Arabic style, which is cool and fine, but I feel like OoT Ganondorf's face is what someone would come up with the prompt of "evil Arab with red hair".

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
What do you guys think of G'dorfs chances of being revealed in the trailer?

If he got his own moveset I wouldn't be too surprised if they made him a starter this time round.
That would free him up to be in the trailer if villains were to be a big part of it.

Huh... yeah, I guess I mostly just like his TP design's head. His body definitely is not the best design... way too stocky. But I like the word you used for his face, "proud". I like the depiction of him as arrogant, proud, ambitious, and powerful.

That picture is really, really cool.

I'm surprised you don't really see the racist thing, though... I mean, look at that impossibly long and crooked nose. Combine that with the original symbol for the desert-dwelling Gerudo...

Everyone knows the Gerudo are partly inspired by an Arabic style, which is cool and fine, but I feel like OoT Ganondorf's face is what someone would come up with the prompt of "evil Arab with red hair".
Yeah I guess now that you point it out.
And thinking about it, the Gerudo women have an even more explicitly arabic/persian design.

Agree about your description of G'dorf. Exactly how I see him. The Ocarina model on the other hand is a little bit slimy looking.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Right, exactly... I think my favorite depiction of him personality-wise was in Wind Waker where he rants about the injustice against his people and ends up laughing while looking up into the storm.
I hope that Gdorf's character design takes inspiration from all of his appearances into a new perfected design, heh. Or perhaps just grab his appearance from the next Zelda game if he's in it.

I really like the Gerudo... I wish they were more of a mainstay of the series. Poor gals... their king totally let them down. Practically every other race evolved into something else, but not them.

I would love it if the theme of the trailer was villains and they showed Gdorf, K.Rool, Ridley, Bowser, and some others.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord

Its so beautiful...so majestic...my eyes!!! My eyes are burning with the glory!!!

But seriously, THAT is how Ganondorf should look. It even fits with the Skyward Sword look.

Its so beautiful...so majestic...my eyes!!! My eyes are burning with the glory!!!

But seriously, THAT is how Ganondorf should look. It even fits with the Skyward Sword look.

Not meaning to double post, but on a related note, he reminds of Fabbio wearing a bathrobe and getting all the ladies with his suave personality and flowing hair.

Of course Ganondorf is above such ridiculousness, but still.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Not meaning to double post, but on a related note, he reminds of Fabbio wearing a bathrobe and getting all the ladies with his suave personality and flowing hair.

Of course Ganondorf is above such ridiculousness, but still.

Who knows, maybe he and Veran were all set to hook up. And have lots of little teal Gerudo babies.

Come, Ganny darling, let us make all the babies.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Who knows, maybe he and Veran were all set to hook up. And have lots of little teal Gerudo babies.

Come, Ganny darling, let us make all the babies.

Ganondorf could sell shampoo for L'Oreal or Garnier Fructis or something in that pic.

For perfect, flowing hair. Veran won't stand a chance.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
With Bowser's overhaul, I'm hopeful about Ganondorf getting renovated heavily. Here's hoping for some Dead Man's Volley!

grizby2

Smash Lord
he needs the peoples elbow!

seriously though, im just curious as to what they're gonna make him look like. I hope its pig ganon~

BarDulL

Town Vampire
For the love of everything that is holy, if this character comes back, PLEASE give him the tools he needs to be at least mid-high tier. I can't stand to see another Brawl Ganon :(.

_Rated D.R.K_

Smash Apprentice
Just imaging Ganon running with his perfect locks would be majestic. With my main Bowser getting a complete overhaul, i wish Ganon gets some Superman buffs. Oh and a Lariat.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
With Bowser's overhaul, I'm hopeful about Ganondorf getting renovated heavily. Here's hoping for some Dead Man's Volley!

My thoughts exactly. Everyone complained that there was no precedent for changing existing movesets. Now Bowser and Pit, two already unique characters, get new moves.

Ganondorf may have his glorious moment at last.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I really hope they still keep the Twilight Princess design, the OoT Ganondorf is just downright silly, he acted like a joke character in SSBM. The Twilight Princess design has the potential to be incredibly menacing and truly up to the standards of the King of Evil, they just need to revamp him.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
With the new Wind Waker in HD... Toon Ganon. Make it happen.

I really liked Toon Ganondorf in Wind Waker, but I'm still holding out the unrealistic hope for Vaati to be brought back to relevance as Toon Link's primary villain, and then for him to get into Smash.

Unfortunately, the Toon style is so far away from realism, so I don't really see Toon Gdorf even as an alternate costume... I dunno. I like him, not sure how realistically he'd get in, though.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
I was hoping to see TP Ganondorf's wacky hair gone, but with Link still being based off of that game, it looks like I'll have to deal with it again. That aside, a bit of a buff is looking pretty likely now, so I'll be looking forward to that.

As for things I think should be changed? That up tilt needs to go, and I'd prefer a new up special. It would be neat if a quicker, weaker Warlock Punch was used as his forward smash, so it doesn't have to be cut to make room for his energy ball. Also it's better than that elbow.

Now I've been thinking for a while, that it doesn't make sense for Ganondorf to be slow. But it's needed for balancing, of course. So what if he had an accelerating run? His speed could increase with each step he takes. His max speed would be good, but it would take like around five steps to get to it. This would let him cover long distances without too much trouble, while still preventing him from out-manuevering smaller opponents.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I was hoping to see TP Ganondorf's wacky hair gone, but with Link still being based off of that game, it looks like I'll have to deal with it again. That aside, a bit of a buff is looking pretty likely now, so I'll be looking forward to that.

As for things I think should be changed? That up tilt needs to go, and I'd prefer a new up special. It would be neat if a quicker, weaker Warlock Punch was used as his forward smash, so it doesn't have to be cut to make room for his energy ball. Also it's better than that elbow.

Now I've been thinking for a while, that it doesn't make sense for Ganondorf to be slow. But it's needed for balancing, of course. So what if he had an accelerating run? His speed could increase with each step he takes. His max speed would good, but it would take like around five steps to get to it. This would let him cover long distances without too much trouble, while still preventing him from out-manuevering smaller opponents.
Liking all the ideas here. I'd love to see Ganondorf becoming completely unique, get rid of his Nair and down-B too. He should still have his Uair, Bair and Dair though, pretty standard air moves after all, and that spike of his is necessary to keep. Maybe give him a new down-Smash too.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Liking all the ideas here. I'd love to see Ganondorf becoming completely unique, get rid of his Nair and down-B too. He should still have his Uair, Bair and Dair though, pretty standard air moves after all, and that spike of his is necessary to keep. Maybe give him a new down-Smash too.
Actually, I considered a short-ranged Wizard's Foot as his down smash, but I can see how people might find that weird. Maybe he can just kind of punch the ground and some dark energy could erupt around him?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Actually, I considered a short-ranged Wizard's Foot as his down smash, but I can see how people might find that weird. Maybe he can just kind of punch the ground and some dark energy could erupt around him?
That's a cool idea, I'd love for them to put more focus on Ganondorf's warlock aspect in general. The more purple the merrier.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion

Not too weird, considering Mega Man's smash is a giant projectile. Anything's possible for Smash attacks. I wouldn't mind seeing his down smash turned into a modified, charged Wizard's Foot and his side smash turned into (visually at least) something like his Warlock punch.

That's pretty awesome, good idea. (So is punching the earth and launching a circle of dark energy, that's pretty much what I was imagining)

Ultinarok

Smash Lord

Dair is like his best move. Good hitboxes and a potential KO at 0% = yes please. That's why its the only move I didn't change on his set. I think Bair should change though, its just too "Falcon"ish for Gdorf. He needs some kind of deadlier move with a shadow effect. I listed it as powerful backward kick in my set but it could be anything.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Much talk about improving this move or that move. I really think he might just get a complete revamp. Bowser has already set the precedent for big changes being made to vets.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Much talk about improving this move or that move. I really think he might just get a complete revamp. Bowser has already set the precedent for big changes being made to vets.
Ye.
There are a couple of moves that ppl would rage if they took away, though.
Those are Dair and Flame Choke.

Uair, Ftilt, Dtilt, and Dash Attack also have a lot of love going for them.

His Jab is one of his signature moves, but it really needs a speed up.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if they gave him a complete makeover.
Just keep Stomp and Flame Choke.

Gleam

Smash Ace
Man it's been some time since I've been here.

Truthfully, in the end I think its going to be less about changing his moveset (Which is something I'm definitely all up for) and more about hoping that the fighting system itself can actually be fit around G-dorfs capabilities. Things like wavedashing, L-cancel, etc all that in Melee was things that were clearly not intended to be used as such during development. We found those and implemented them and that's what made Ganondorf good.

Ganon's probably going to be slow, powerful, have long but laggy attacks and a rather crap recovery much like he had before both in Melee and Brawl. I can only hope that when they do this, the game mechanics will somehow be able to revolve around Ganon like they did with Melee.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I feel that they should keep a few moves from his old moveset, namely the ones that don't borrow too heavily from Captain Falcon. Though I won't be too upset if a majority of his moves were re-vamped. Though he should definitely keep the choke slam. In all honesty, I feel he needs more speed to make himself a very viable character. I just find it weird that even someone like Bowser is(If I'm not mistaken that is)faster than him.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Give him moves based on the Zelda games, not Captain Falcon. Seriously. I don't care if it changes him totally. If Sakurai wanted to be really nice, he could make a heavy version of Capt. Falcon from an additional F-Zero character.

Ganondorf is one of three most important characters in the Zelda series. He has a number of incarnations that use a variety of attacks, there is no reason for him to have anything but specials based off his LoZ appearances. His basic attacks don't need to be weapon based, but come on...

Ganon uses the following moves in various games as Ganon, Ganondorf, Agahnim. I've also included the Nightmares from Link's Awakening, Phantom Ganon and Demise
  • Dead Man's Volley (the energy balls) - Clearly Ganondorf's most frequent move, if you're going based on canon appearances, this move should be included
    • Original Legend of Zelda (can't be reflected)
    • As Agahnim in A Link to the Past
    • Nightmare Agahnim in Link's Awakening
    • Ocarina of Time (both Ganondorf and Phantom Ganon)
    • Oracle games (can't be reflected)
    • Four Swords Adventures (5 at a time)
    • Phantom Ganon in Wind Waker
    • Puppet Zelda in Twilight Princess uses this as well
  • Teleporting
    • Legend of Zelda (while invisible he appears in different places, I don't believe he actually moves around)
    • A Link to the Past (as Agahnim he turns into a shadow, as Ganon he leaves images of himself as he warps)
    • Phantom Ganon in Ocarina of Time (uses paintings as portals)
    • Oracle games
    • Phantom Ganon in Wind Waker
    • Four Swords Adventures
    • Twilight Princess (as beast form, uses portals)
  • Invisibility
    • Legend of Zelda
    • A Link to the Past
  • Splitting energy/fire balls
    • As Agahnim in A Link to the Past (splits into four when it hits or is struck)
    • Oracle games (Ganon fires multiple that each split into three)
  • Levitating/flying:
    • Ocarina of Time (Ganondorf and Phantom Ganon)
    • Wind Waker (Phantom Ganon)
    • Four Swords Adventures (spins trident)
    • Puppet Zelda
  • Trident attacks:
    • Does a dashing slash with trident in Oracle games
    • Spinning trident throw:
      • A Link to the Past
      • Four Swords Adventures (leaves a trail of fire)
    • Used for projectiles:
      • Ocarina of Time Phantom Ganon uses it to fire his energy balls
      • Used to summon Blazing Bats in A Link to the Past
      • Used to shoot splitting energy balls in Oracle games
      • Shoots lightning and energy balls in Four Swords
    • Also used by Ganon in Nintendo Land
  • Sword attacks:
    • General sword fighting:
      • Brute strength dual sword attacks by Beast Ganon in Ocarina of Time
      • Acrobatic dual sword attacks in Wind Waker
      • Horseback and on ground in Twilight Princess
      • Demise in Skyward Sword
    • Leaping attacks in Wind Waker, Twilight Princess
    • Dashing attacks in Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword (Demise)
    • Teleport attack by Phantom Ganon in Wind Waker
    • Used by Wind Waker Phantom Ganon to shoot energy balls
  • Blazing Bats - used in A Link to the Past and by Nightmare Ganon (Link's Awakening)
    • Fly straight towards Link, leaving a fire trail
    • Or, radiate in and out as fireballs around Ganon while he spins his trident, then turn into bats and fly towards Link
    • Or spiral out from Ganon, leaving a fire trail
  • Lightning bolts:
    • As Agahnim in A Link to the Past
    • Shot from trident in Four Swords
    • Demise charges his sword with lightning from the sky and shoots it as a beam in Skyward Sword
  • Ground pound
    • A Link to the Past, stuns Link (initiates the floor disappearing around the edge)
    • Ocarina of Time (also removes some of the floor)
    • Oracle games, stuns Link
    • Four Swords Adventures
  • Beast form (already included as Ganon's Final Smash)
    • Pig form
      • Legend of Zelda
      • A Link to the Past
      • Nightmare Ganon in Link's Awakening
      • Oracle games
      • Four Swords
      • referenced in Puppet Ganon's first form in Wind Waker
      • Nintendo Land's Ganon is this form
    • Animalistic dual sword wielding beast in Ocarina of Time
    • Animalistic charging quadruped in Twilight Princess
  • Agahnim makes illusion clones in A Link to the Past
  • Knight specters - in Twilight Princess while on horseback, he fires energy balls which turn into knight specters that charge at Link
He also uses some general melee attacks in some of these, such as Twilight Princess Ganondorf using the "Sparta" kick he has in Brawl

So... ummmm... yeah. I'm sure that can all be made into a coherent move set. He could use a sword or trident as part of smashes or specials, or in his regular attacks. Plenty of choices there.

He's got teleporting or flying for recovery. He has Dead Man's Volley for at least one projectile, lightning and blazing bats give other projectile options. He has plenty of trident or sword attacks so either one is doable as either melee attacks or special attacks or both. He has ground pounds. And of course, his beast form makes a good Final Smash, which they've already chosen to use.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I recently had a thought. What if Ganondorf has two movesets that he can use?

Basically, Ganondorf could alter between using just his physical strength, or he could take out his sword, and use that in combination with his physical strength.

Ganondorf's down special would have him taking out his sword, but unlike with in Brawl, he'll actually use the sword in combat. Ganondorf can even put away his sword at will.

While using the sword, Ganondorf's attack range increases, and some of his attacks get changed as well. The sword is also quite heavy, enabling Ganondorf to deliver good damage to his opponents. However, this also affects Ganondorf's attack speed, making him attack slower than when he's not using his sword.

On a side note, Ganondorf would pick up items with his left hand, as he'd use his sword with his right hand.

As for the sword itself...

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I recently had a thought. What if Ganondorf has two movesets that he can use?

Basically, Ganondorf could alter between using just his physical strength, or he could take out his sword, and use that in combination with his physical strength.

Ganondorf's down special would have him taking out his sword, but unlike with in Brawl, he'll actually use the sword in combat. Ganondorf can even put away his sword at will.

While using the sword, Ganondorf's attack range increases, and some of his attacks get changed as well. The sword is also quite heavy, enabling Ganondorf to deliver good damage to his opponents. However, this also affects Ganondorf's attack speed, making him attack slower than when he's not using his sword.

On a side note, Ganondorf would pick up items with his left hand, as he'd use his sword with his right hand.

As for the sword itself...

Hmmm, I've seen some other people come up with similar ideas before. And, well we had characters that completely transform/switch out before. So something like this might be possible. It kinda reminds me of other fighting games having characters that'll switch stances, like Nightmare in Soul Calibur, or an example more like your idea, most characters bringing out their weapons in Mortal Kombat Deception. Though I still think that having most of his A moves being reworked is the more likely and efficient method. Granted most of Ganondorf's kick attacks can stay, but any punches can be replaced with him using various sword slashes and stabs. But again, a sort of "stance switch" would be rather interesting. And the melee sword looks cool, but I feel that the "Twilight" Sword would be the likely choice, especially if Ganondof keeps a slightly modified Twilight Princess look like Link has.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I think he should materialize a sword for his forward Smash. It could disappear in a blaze of shadow energy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom