• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganondorf STILL isn't at the top of the tiers?

Drolian

Smash Journeyman
I was just wondering why Ganondorf is in the very middle of the tiers. Before I get into what I mean, allow me to first put out there that I have been playing for years, and I have watched MANY videos of the tournament masters.

My brother and I found out, through years of play, literally EVERY advanced technique in the game, except the wavedash, which we stumbled upon, but wrote off as simply hilarious. I was surprised to find that all the wacky observations we have encountered and adapted are actually defined in the glossary in the sticky topic above! Three of the particularly surprising terms that I could not believe had been widely known and utilized were the Phantom Hit (I just thought I had a glitchy game) and that effect where recovering at the right time from attacks that sent you flying results in an upward boost if you jump out/air dodge/whatever early enough (I cannot remember what it was called in the sticky), and the waveland.

Now, I have been using Ganondorf against my brother lately, and he cannot seem to beat me. We think we know why, and we think it puts Ganon at the top of the tiers. I will be brief. Ganondorf has his air forward. We call it 'The Punch.' It has that special hitbox like a sword, hence it goes right through anything except an attack with that same type of hitbox. It does 17% max, is relatively fast executing, has basically instant recovery on a barrier cancel, and is quite massive, killing at rather low percentages.

If he misses, he can just do his A punch if the opponent tries to retaliate, or shield/roll. I am telling you, Ganondorf is a crazy meat mountain who crushes bones with many attacks doing 15+%, survives to insane damages thanks to his weight, and has ridiculous horizontal recovery (Double Jump, Ganondorf Kick Down B, ANOTHER Double Jump, ARE YOU SERIOUS, Up B).

Next, check his roll. It goes like half screen. It makes him rather fast, nearly eliminating his speed problem on the ground, and a great character when it comes to the defensive game. It pretty much eliminates the need for his wavedash, which, with Ganondorf, who needs to do most of his attacking from hops, is pretty much useless already unless you are looking to smash attack. Wavesmashing, however, in my opinion, is also a bad idea, because, in the time and damage it takes you to actually land a smash, you could have just used The Punch and killed you opponent by then.

Even though he has to fight mostly in the air, 3 of his 4 air attacks are pretty fast, and are quite massive. A major advantage he has is that nearly all his attacks move the opponent considerably, and can topple him from 0%, so his opponent gets little to no counterattack opportunity.

The only explanation I can find for why he is low on the tiers is that no one has used him seriously. I think he really keeps up, if not tops, the top tier characters.

I really do not like to simply shoot my mouth, and I am not one who thinks it right to shower a character in encomium, and never actually prove anything. Is there online for this somewhere, or is that simply wishful thinking? If not, please do not yell at me and stuff until you at least check out The Punch. Goes right through projectiles, goes right through attacks, goes right through faces. Please just give Ganondorf another shot and tell me what you thnk.

Final Comment: People have a tendency to think that posts from newcomers to a board but veterans of its respective game are saying they are better than everyone else, regardles of what the post actually says. Please note that I did not say 'I am better than you' or 'Ganon is better than Fox.' I said, essentially: 'Ganon seems to be great. These are his strengths. He may top Fox. Check him out and see if you agree.' I will say, however, that I am a full master of Ganondorf.

Please give Ganondorf a second look before responding so you know where I am coming from!

IYM!

Smash Lord
this is the same text of the video

Ganondorf is a realy good character here in melee, is strong, fast, have good priority and can give a descomunal amount of damage only with few attacks

he is my second character in melee (i main Link) i am prety good with ganon, but the only thing than i dont like is how my friends says all the time how broken ganon is :glare:

Rappster

Smash Ace
LoL are you kage's alter ego?
ganondorf is combofood and has a crappy recovery.
it can go far, but it is super easy to gimp.
also, its hard to deal with camping.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
kage, get your old avatar back..this one is dumb and not warrior like
I was about to say the same thing.

The reason Ganon isn't at the top of the tiers is because Ganons aren't proving that he is the best through gameplay, just theoretical bullspit.

takieddine

Smash Master
Actually ganon can go as far as lower end of high tier, simply because of his great crouch cancel/grab game, which are under-used. But its all theory, no one is gonna have a perfect defensive game with him, thus ganon will continue to get edgeguarded.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Bring back the Ganon avatar. It is iconic!

And weeaboos did this to themselves! :awesome:
What is the definition of a weeaboo anyway? Someone that likes anime or something? Because if that's so, it's pretty stupid. If not, then I'd like to know.

It's like saying oh you hate oranges! Then you are stupid and ********.. I hate **** like that anyway.

Pawls to the Wall

Smash Journeyman
She's definitely a warrior, so I can use it. =) Like I said being a warrior is multiple different things.
I haven't said anything in a while, so....
I once told a hibachi chef that he was like a warrior with food, and for some reason he got really offended and refused to cook my food.

So a warrior is many things, just not a hibachi chef apparently.

Samba

Smash Apprentice
Basing your (people in general, not naming anyone) opinion that Ganon should be top tier solely on how good a handful of his moves are is quite silly

Top Bottom